Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Yeah there's only so much control they have over tech once it's released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
What if they run around playing super spy and it just makes things worse?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

nickmeister posted:

What if they run around playing super spy and it just makes things worse?

S3

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
One of the things I liked was that they finally stated that it was climate change that really hosed everything. So you can prevent an epidemic, shoot down a comet and avoid a fusion disaster, but if you don't stop the underlying crap humanity is still doomed. So it was all a bit of a fool's errand, and maybe they needed to overwrite a few more people like the chat show host.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Set up several companies that introduce fully automated, super clean and efficient cars on six continents. Have some travelers "invent" various lab grown, delicious foods that replace a lot of people's meat consumption. Build machines that help clean the environment. Set us on our way to space travel and wormholes. All of these things would probably avert help climate change.

But, nope, gotta hang out with this creepy kid so he doesn't become a serial killer.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

It's like McClaren said to David, people already know that poo poo is bad and generally what things need to be done to change it. Introducing a bunch of future tech won't fix things.

Basically, the Travelers should be starting revolutions.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

nickmeister posted:

Set up several companies that introduce fully automated, super clean and efficient cars on six continents. Have some travelers "invent" various lab grown, delicious foods that replace a lot of people's meat consumption. Build machines that help clean the environment. Set us on our way to space travel and wormholes. All of these things would probably avert help climate change.

But, nope, gotta hang out with this creepy kid so he doesn't become a serial killer.

They can only introduce tech that they have actually invented. I imagine if they had the ability for super efficient clean energy, lab grow food and clean up their ecosystem they wouldn't be in the situation of needing to send travellers in the first place

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Chalks posted:

They can only introduce tech that they have actually invented. I imagine if they had the ability for super efficient clean energy, lab grow food and clean up their ecosystem they wouldn't be in the situation of needing to send travellers in the first place

I think at their point in the future it doesn’t matter. McClaren said something about nuclear war and loss of atmosphere and that’s why they’re in a dome being covered with ice and not melting from severe heat.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I'm totally OK with the story they chose to tell, "Good Tech fixes everything" has never been a theme the show has tried to convey. Good Tech usually falls down in the show's context. I think that story approach of the super-competent manipulation of past history changing the future from bare subsistence to something much brighter is an interesting idea for a show but it's harder to keep the viewer invested if everything is neatly and flawlessly executed. Especially this season, Travelers did a great job making you feel like the stakes were high because poo poo just keeps going so wrong, with the Director's whole operation eventually ending in almost complete failure. Even so it still feels uplifting, mainly because of Marcy and David :kimchi:

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

latinotwink1997 posted:

I think at their point in the future it doesn’t matter. McClaren said something about nuclear war and loss of atmosphere and that’s why they’re in a dome being covered with ice and not melting from severe heat.

Exactly. I'm sure they've got all sorts of things they've already figured out but cant accomplish because the earth is a frozen, nuclear hellscape.

WrightOfWay posted:

It's like McClaren said to David, people already know that poo poo is bad and generally what things need to be done to change it. Introducing a bunch of future tech won't fix things.

According to McClaren the tipping point was global warming and the problems it brought. But replacing cars with Future(TM) brand cars etc wouldn't imrpove things? Idk.

"You know, Ivan, I'm not sure why, but this new type of near emissionless car makes me want to start a nuclear war with China and America!"

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm totally OK with the story they chose to tell, "Good Tech fixes everything" has never been a theme the show has tried to convey. Good Tech usually falls down in the show's context. I think that story approach of the super-competent manipulation of past history changing the future from bare subsistence to something much brighter is an interesting idea for a show but it's harder to keep the viewer invested if everything is neatly and flawlessly executed. Especially this season, Travelers did a great job making you feel like the stakes were high because poo poo just keeps going so wrong, with the Director's whole operation eventually ending in almost complete failure. Even so it still feels uplifting, mainly because of Marcy and David :kimchi:

It's a good show. I wonder if they could make a companion series based primarily in the grim dark future? It seems like as the show progresses, the Director develops new skills. The future series could mix things up with the "rules."

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

WrightOfWay posted:

If you haven't watched Continuum yet, do so

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I just finished a whole series watch. I lost track of it halfway through season 2, so I just started from the beginning again when season 3 released. The writers really knew how to tug at your heartstrings for a bunch of those later episodes. Given the show was highly binged on Netflix in 2017 (according to the internet), unless viewership falls off a cliff, I wonder if they will try to put together a season 4, and if so, how.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am in the midst of re-watching the first two seasons, I found it a little hard to take original Grace seriously because 027 is such a great character and very well acted, probably my favourite character on the show.

The Marcy rewrite storyline is really dumb. Both that the character would rather commit suicide than lose some memories, and that she so easily is willing to drop the whole mission.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

At that point the mission is over, that's what Protocol Omega meant. I have to admit I lost track of why 001 thought it was a big important goal to overwrite her :confused: I'll review that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Oasx posted:

The Marcy rewrite storyline is really dumb. Both that the character would rather commit suicide than lose some memories, and that she so easily is willing to drop the whole mission.

Do you mean when she gets overwritten with herself from the future, or when she kills herself to prevent 001 from getting any possible backdoor code into the director?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Flesh Forge posted:

At that point the mission is over, that's what Protocol Omega meant. I have to admit I lost track of why 001 thought it was a big important goal to overwrite her :confused: I'll review that.

I am pretty sure they're referring to the season 1 or 2 or whenever it was when she had the reboot to map around the brain damage and not the season 3 plot.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Cojawfee posted:

Do you mean when she gets overwritten with herself from the future, or when she kills herself to prevent 001 from getting any possible backdoor code into the director?

Season 1 where they have to re-write her with a backup of her original personality, she pretty much says that she would rather die than let that happen. And when she actually starts dying before deciding, she gets re-written and it is a plotpoint in season 2 that she is upset about it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh oops.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Flesh Forge posted:

001 wanted to overwrite her because 027 had built a backdoor into the Director in Marcy's overwrite which allowed it to be rebooted and stop the Faction. 001 wanted to basically use the same backdoor and take over the Director himself

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My feeling is that unless they do a complete revamp (with the exception of Mac) then we'll probably see the rest of the team brought in with the same Travelers. Like maybe we won't get Marcy and David but everyone else will reappear.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Cojawfee posted:

It really bugged me that she didn't just shoot 001 and his goons. Whatever I guess she was pretty upset at the time.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mr. Powers posted:

I just finished a whole series watch. I lost track of it halfway through season 2, so I just started from the beginning again when season 3 released. The writers really knew how to tug at your heartstrings for a bunch of those later episodes. Given the show was highly binged on Netflix in 2017 (according to the internet), unless viewership falls off a cliff, I wonder if they will try to put together a season 4, and if so, how.

I mean for a sci-fi show this one is pretty drat cheap to make, I'd imagine that at the least isn't an obstacle.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

misguided rage posted:

It really bugged me that she didn't just shoot 001 and his goons. Whatever I guess she was pretty upset at the time.

Highly trained goons, and while she's skilled, she's a doctor and not a tactician.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Mr. Powers posted:

Highly trained goons, and while she's skilled, she's a doctor and not a tactician.

The very first scene of this show is Marcy arriving and promptly beating the poo poo out of like 6 dudes twice her size

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

The very first scene of this show is Marcy arriving and promptly beating the poo poo out of like 6 dudes twice her size

6 random thugs who think they are attacking a defenceless woman, not 6 trained mercenaries pointing guns at her.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

6 random thugs who think they are attacking a defenceless woman, not 6 trained mercenaries pointing guns at her.

it was 2 and she still dropped them. Marcy is certified in CPR and kicking the poo poo out of people.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

she'd probably make a fantastic bath-tub meth cook as well

it's a very diverse skillset

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Marcy is practical as all get out, and grief stricken. Phillip seeing her kill herself was a real possible timeline, even without 001 coming after her for what is in her head (001 being An absolute fucker who would do anything to preserve himself ) she takes the quickest and most direct action

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
It makes even more sense with her knowing that the police officer medic has no team left and was just questioning what the hell you even do once you have no team left. So she could be reasonably sure her team would still have a medic even if she made sure a dangerous tool was permanently erased by killing herself.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well aside from that, she's incredibly bummed because the love of her life just literally died in her arms, and her life's work has ended in failure, so, yeah :shrug:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Zebulon posted:

It makes even more sense with her knowing that the police officer medic has no team left and was just questioning what the hell you even do once you have no team left.

That didn't go anywhere, right? I figured that was foreshadowing something.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Lycus posted:

That didn't go anywhere, right? I figured that was foreshadowing something.

Mostly foreshadowing the sense of loss and listlessness that faced the group when Protocol Omega got invoked.

Without a team it'd be hard to have a mission, and without a mission you're just Protocol 5'ing your way through an alien life, knowing disaster is coming and completely unable to do anything about it. Kind of a dismal existence

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

DarkHorse posted:

Mostly foreshadowing the sense of loss and listlessness that faced the group when Protocol Omega got invoked.

Without a team it'd be hard to have a mission, and without a mission you're just Protocol 5'ing your way through an alien life, knowing disaster is coming and completely unable to do anything about it. Kind of a dismal existence

At least philip was well prepared for that

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The last 2 episodes were good of course, but as a whole, the whole season kind of sucked...

It was basically 8 bottle episodes that could be watched in just about any order and wouldn't change anything (except maybe the beginning of Episode 1 and end of 8 when David got shot), followed by 2 episodes where everything ended.

Really wasn't any sort of season arc plot other than 001 is still around and is working for faction, but all of the faction stuff again, didn't cross episodes, so could be watched in any order and would make minimal difference.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
When you say "bottle episodes", do you mean "stand-alone episodes"?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So, I was up till 3:30 AM this morning finishing the last 6 episodes of the show after watching all others during the last few weeks. This might be my new favorite time travel show. Marcy and David are just so incredibly cute together. Those moments between those two were also acted quite well. It didn't feel fake. It helps that MacKenzie Porter is an incredibly pretty person.

Usually in stories, the random weirdo who gets drawn into the mess, without really understanding what's going on, kinda drags the show down. But David is just such a sweet, nice person that he makes it work. It does feel fun to have this caring, kinda soft man hang around those hardened mercenaries.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Dec 31, 2018

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Lycus posted:

When you say "bottle episodes", do you mean "stand-alone episodes"?

Ah yes.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
Trying to puzzle out exactly how the "ver 1 FAILED -> ver2 BEGIN" switcharoo happens from the future's perspective.

Director: Okay, time to make our first big time travel test. Glempglork, you're going to be Traveler 001 and I'm sending you into the twin towers to die.
Glempglork, Traveler 001: Sounds great, boss.
Director: Alright. Now remember, what you need to do is go to the computer and send an email to travelers4ever@hotmail.com saying the transmission was successful.
Glempglork: No problem.
Director: And then die when the plane hits the tower.
Glempglork: I will definitely do that.
Director: Alright, let me just open this tab so I can refresh the inbox after your consciousness is transferred. Gotta just enter the two-factor code here aaaaand... oop. Looks like we've already got a message in the inbox here saying the whole plan is a failure. Glempglork, GTFO.

of course "refresh the inbox" is an oversimplification, what would really happen (in one model) is that the sent message would be sitting there on the internet archive throughout the entire span of the director getting developed and implemented, and presumably once the director started up and scans the totality of all world knowledge it would realize that either
  • the transmission of 001 it is about to consider making would have been successful (vincent's message)
  • or that somehow the entire traveller program is a failure (mac's message)

what exactly the director would decide to change based on learning the not-yet-started program is a failure is I guess for S4 to decide.

though given the amount of "quantum quantum bleep bloop" technobabble that's in the show, I'm sure the way the writers think about the timelines isn't as internally consistent as one might hope

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Sivart13 posted:

... what exactly the director would decide to change based on learning the not-yet-started program is a failure is I guess for S4 to decide.

though given the amount of "quantum quantum bleep bloop" technobabble that's in the show, I'm sure the way the writers think about the timelines isn't as internally consistent as one might hope

For the show, the program failure probably means that the protocols will be different next season, to set up new challenges for the Travelers instead of repeating the moral dilemmas and family turmoil they got from their previous protocols.

Whatever happens, I'll be bummed if they bring back the old cast. I understand why they would because that's how most shows roll, but I'd like this to be an actual reboot. Mac, Marcy and co. were cool, but they got all the development they need. Bring in new faces with new problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Sivart13 posted:

Trying to puzzle out exactly how the "ver 1 FAILED -> ver2 BEGIN" switcharoo happens from the future's perspective.

Director: Okay, time to make our first big time travel test. Glempglork, you're going to be Traveler 001 and I'm sending you into the twin towers to die.
Glempglork, Traveler 001: Sounds great, boss.
Director: Alright. Now remember, what you need to do is go to the computer and send an email to travelers4ever@hotmail.com saying the transmission was successful.
Glempglork: No problem.
Director: And then die when the plane hits the tower.
Glempglork: I will definitely do that.
Director: Alright, let me just open this tab so I can refresh the inbox after your consciousness is transferred. Gotta just enter the two-factor code here aaaaand... oop. Looks like we've already got a message in the inbox here saying the whole plan is a failure. Glempglork, GTFO.

of course "refresh the inbox" is an oversimplification, what would really happen (in one model) is that the sent message would be sitting there on the internet archive throughout the entire span of the director getting developed and implemented, and presumably once the director started up and scans the totality of all world knowledge it would realize that either
  • the transmission of 001 it is about to consider making would have been successful (vincent's message)
  • or that somehow the entire traveller program is a failure (mac's message)

what exactly the director would decide to change based on learning the not-yet-started program is a failure is I guess for S4 to decide.

My guess, is that they'd probably notice and revise the program sometime around the point where they notice Mac's e-mail, during preperation for sending 001 back. The traveller program probably has some equivalent to 'well, this whole thing is borked', and having someone from the past tell you that the whole thing failed is definitely enough to drive a revision of the great plan.

That said, my favorite interpretation of travelers is that it is essentially an example of the quantum suicide thought experiment, writ large.

In a many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics, which appears to be the case in the show given the suggestion that Omega suggest they are just going to start over on a different timeline, there are an infinite number of universes. Quantum suicide suggests the idea of a sort of immortality owing to those multiple universes. One of the easiest example to use is that of a machine gun, set up to fire a hundred times, with the firing pin set to engage on a 50/50 chance. If you were to stand in front of the gun and turn it on, quantum immortality suggests that you would come out the other side unscathed, despite the absurdly low probability, because any frame of reference where the gun goes off and kills you is a universe you cannot experience. Since you are still experiencing things, you must exist in a universe where things turned out in your favor, even if there are thousands of universes where you rightfully got your head blown off.

In travelers, we run into a similar problem due to the whole time travel paradox. If we fix things in the future, then our future doesn't exist, the director doesn't send any of us back in time, and we can't fix things for the future. Since we are seeing things from the perspectives of travelers, who continue to exist even after they should have 'fixed' the future with things like Helios, my running theory is that we are seeing the quantum immortality spinoffs of their timelines. In a thousand timelines, stopping Helios saves, or at least modifies the future into a state where none of them existed in the first place. But since we are seeing things through their eyes, we can only be seeing a universe in which everything still went to poo poo. This means that every time they fix things, we are jumping to a timeline where something else hosed up the future in such a way as to produce extremely similar results. They can push that rock up the hill as much as they want, but they will never create a timeline for themselves that wouldn't have created them in the first place.