Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Jarvisi posted:

I'm having trouble getting started in career mode. Any tips?

I found going max c-bills on contracts very useful in the early game. I don't care about light mechs. So, one or two medium mech parts at a time with greater financial freedom to pick up parts and components was very useful. Once you can field three medium mechs, the. It's more worth your while to get more mech parts for high performance mediums and whatever heavies you may encounter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Jarvisi posted:

The problem in career mode is getting to mediums. Always check the stores in systems to see if you can afford to complete a medium; if you can afford it, finish the medium before you start traveling so you can refit while between systems.

I also suggest heavily investing in the argo upgrades that give +Tech points until you get those mediums refitted.

Also, while boosting c-bills isn't a bad plan, always reserve 1 salvage choice just in case a medium shows up (core it and then pick the 1 piece, but at least you're closer to mediums as a result).

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

Don't forget it's also an alternative to bracing/sprinting when cooling off.

And now in addition to reducing evasion it also adds +2 to the target's shot difficulty (i.e. like the side effect of getting hit by 2 PPCs).

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Jarvisi posted:

Get a couple of the Argo upgrades for Tech Points, then do Drive Upgrades.

Do salvage on your first few contracts to try and gather up replacement weapons that'll otherwise be hard to find on stores, then after make the choice of whether you want to salvage mediums, which will require you doing 1.5~2 skull missions on your starting lance, or to buy them. In the latter case, go full money.

Grab Gunnery 4. Accuracy good. Then, beeline for Bulwark on all your pilots - the Damage Reduction is huge, and the rework plays nice with Lights. Next take Sure-Footing on one or two of them since it'll help with tanking, and proceed down the Tactics path for Called Shot Bonus/Mastery.

Refitting your mechs is very important.

Your blocker towards higher difficulty contracts, and thus greater rewards, is damage and survivability. Stock builds just don't have it, and optimization will thus go a long ways towards easing your early game.

Essential Day 0 refits:
Jenner: Solid workhorse until you're all mediums; reasonably resilient, fast, and 4 mlas on arms is decent and accurate firepower (+1 acc from laser, +1 acc from arm mountings). Remove the SRM and 2 JJs, put the new weight towards armor (max front/head/limbs, leftover to the rear). This takes no time, but you can also remove another couple JJs to add a heatsink since it otherwise runs quite hot.

Vindicator: Your other superstar, but the stock build sucks. Right away you want to get rid of a heatsink to max your armor, as usual, but the Vindicator is by far your potentially toughest and meanest mech, so it should be in the thick of things, and for that it needs a full overhaul as soon as you get the parts.

This guy is fully armored, can jump, and puts out 148~188 DPR. Along with the Jenner they'll be your frontliners and raw damage dealers.

Commando: Like the Jenner, also remove the SRM, put it towards armor. More effective and safer off the bat than the Spider. The LL+ML combo do okay work, but you can squeeze more with a 3xML+2xSL+2 heatsink or 2xMLas+SRM6 setup.

Spider: Clip its wings - get rid of the JJs, and again everything towards armor. With 2 medium lasers and 2 small lasers it can do some work as a sub, but the Commando is the more effective damage dealer even if slower.

Panther: Runs too cold - remove 2 heatsinks and put it towards armor. An easy swap is replacing the SRM with a LRM5 so it's slightly better at fire support, but ultimately you'll want to turn it into either a pocket vindicator (4mlas + SRM6) or give it dual Large Lasers for accurate long-range power.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

New hangar of the dispossed update. He added the charger now. His next additions are gonna be wasp, stinger, valkyrie, and crusader.

7 charger variants
1a1
1s5
1s9
1l
n7
pb
sb

with these additions I only need the AC10 anni, all 4 archer variants, and then the 7 charger variants to complete my collection of every mech in the game on my post campaign save

Stravag fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 25, 2018

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I think I'm pretty far into the campaign (the story missions are like 4.5 skulls now I think?) and all the stores have been poo poo. How do I find stores selling good stuff like ++ weapons and the actually good heavy & assault mechs?

On the upside I just got the salvage to build my second Orion so :neckbeard:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I'm having a similar problem where I have 2 gauss rifles but only 2 tons of ammo. I've hit up a dozen planets or so and I've yet to see any. I'm considering editing the stores to put them in

I also got the last piece for my king crab and just wanted to create a KGC-001. As I like to call hit a head snipper

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Honestly the changes to skills had the side effect of making gauss rifles not nearly as good at popping domes. Old bulwark used to require standing still and the AI prefers movement so it never got much out of it. It does, however, correctly use trees as cover. What this means is that with the damage reduction from trees and the bulwark bonus being truly passive you frequently see yourself losing 40% of your damage which takes a gauss out of 1hko territory. If you want to go aimed head shot with late game max tac pilots an AC20 is the only reliable option now. Which, frankly, I’m fine with as it gives that weapon a real niche beyond just its damage/heat/ammo ratios.

This isn’t to say the gauss is bad, it’s just much better as a general DPS machine now. It’s lighter than an AC20 and you don’t need as many HS, which lets you cram in more other stuff. My dial gauss crab has a poo poo ton of LRMs and if I aimed shot at CT it’s all going right there. It can reliably just delete heavies and even some assaults at range as long as you dgaf about salvage.

Oh and two tons of gauss ammo is plenty for two rifles. Well not “plenty” but probably just right. It rides that line where I only run out if it’s a huge fight against three lances or two plus a base or something, and even then at that point the battle is decided and it’s no hardship for everyone else to play clean up.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I ended up going a completely different direction with 4x SRM+++, 4x ML+++, 4x Flamer++, 2x heat exchangers, JJ's, max armor and I think 8 HS. I believe it does a little over 400 damage and can easily overheat other mechs. I could take or leave the Flamers honestly but it's cute

I appreciate the write up as that is some great advice

I R SMART LIKE ROCK fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 27, 2018

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Did this game take the usual tabletop-to-video-game-conversion step of doubling armor values?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
No, the armor values are TT, except the numbers are all multiplied by 5. You don't need to double the armor when you don't have a player direct-control shooting the exact same component with every shot.

Damage is mostly the same (TT damage x5) with some tweaks because the HBS understands that Tabletop Battletech isn't exactly perfectly balanced anyway, so you might as well fix poo poo while you're at it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
So I finally had the perfect series of missions in a row in RogueTech where I a) got lucky on salvage and b) had enough money/time to repair said salvage, and now I'm fielding a full lance of legit powerful mediums:

HBK-5H, a weird refit that originally had an AC/20+, two mediums, and three RL/20s, but I stripped the RLs and added a TTS+ ballistic and JJs. my commander's ride

BSW-X2 with a snub-nose PPC, AC/10++, and a MPLS

BSW-P1 with a bunch of LRMs and a MML7

Gauntlet-A, a fast 55-ton omni which originally had some light PPCs and MMLs but I've refit with two LPLS to be my counter to big evasion numbers

p. good lance, although a bit anemic on melee which I'm hoping to fix the next time I run into a Barbarian

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Huh, the Gauntlet looks exactly like a juiced up Bushwacker. You get old, you start losing muscle, you turn to a little bit of MASC, little bit of supercharger to make those gains

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

General Battuta posted:

Huh, the Gauntlet looks exactly like a juiced up Bushwacker. You get old, you start losing muscle, you turn to a little bit of MASC, little bit of supercharger to make those gains

they even use the Bushwacker model for it -- I think it has a built-in Supercharger so I just sprint it up a hill at the start of combat and bully some fast-mover that thought five evasion pips made him safe

frankly I really like how they did LPLs in RogueTech. They're very bad in the base game but in this one they do 75 damage split up into three pulses, each of which roll their own to-hit, and they have bonuses against evasion on top of the normal accuracy bonus that lasers get. When I move into assaults I think I'll do the 4-LPL Warhawk build that I wanna say Ranna Kerensky used? 300 damage a volley at range is nothing to sneeze at.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
oh and the other thing I like about RogueTech is that if I see a 45-ton mech on sensors I'm legitimately curious as to what it is. Base game it's either a Blackjack or Vindicator, but in RogueTech it could be drat near anything

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

DatonKallandor posted:

No, the armor values are TT, except the numbers are all multiplied by 5. You don't need to double the armor when you don't have a player direct-control shooting the exact same component with every shot.

Damage is mostly the same (TT damage x5) with some tweaks because the HBS understands that Tabletop Battletech isn't exactly perfectly balanced anyway, so you might as well fix poo poo while you're at it.

They should've fixed the stock loadouts.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

They should've fixed the stock loadouts.

I kinda like the fact that some robots are complete lemons because there's usually an in-universe reason behind it. Like "oh, we were trying to really focus on armor and speed with this assault 'mech but on The Modern Battlefield it is ineffective" or "we didn't have X parts available in bulk so we went with Y parts out of necessity" or "it was cheaper to put ammo in the CT lol"

just like in real life, you know?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

I kinda like the fact that some robots are complete lemons because there's usually an in-universe reason behind it. Like "oh, we were trying to really focus on armor and speed with this assault 'mech but on The Modern Battlefield it is ineffective" or "we didn't have X parts available in bulk so we went with Y parts out of necessity" or "it was cheaper to put ammo in the CT lol"

Or the specifications kept changing partway through the project so you get something like the M2 Bradley that is the epitome of "jack of all trades, master of none".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Technowolf posted:

Or the specifications kept changing partway through the project so you get something like the M2 Bradley that is the epitome of "jack of all trades, master of none".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

ahahahaha that movie rules

hey what's the equivalent in Battletech of the F-35 I wonder

what's the most expensive mech that can't operate when it's raining

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

Yeah, but its a bit more interesting if you have to use them and play to the strengths of whatever flawed mech you pulled instead of immediately stripping everything out in favor of SRMs/LRMs/your flavor of lasers/AC20.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Pattonesque posted:

Yeah but then you take a week off from contracts to customize your mechs so they're thrice as effective.

The flavor just does not match the gameplay implications.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

Yeah but then you take a week off from contracts to customize your mechs so they're thrice as effective.

The flavor just does not match the gameplay implications.

where you gonna find room in the Duchy of Mudville's appropriations budget for that

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

Basically all the first-gen IS omnis. They were mostly either rebuild/redesigns of existing mechs (firestarter, blackjack) or heavier versions of clan mechs that were just a lovely off-brand knock off (60 ton Nova, 70-ish ton Vulture, etc). If you get into the fluff they were all just terribly poo poo on a maintenance level and the whole omni thing wasn't as hot-swappable as what you see with clan tech. This gets resolved, of course, but yeesh.

Second place would probably go to the first iteration of the Bushwhacker. It was a prototype ca. 3035 or 3040 iirc and had a LOT of problems. Like, major poo poo with joints and just generally not working right.

Honorable mention to the 3025-era Raven with the 7 ton prototype ECM that wasn't as effective as real ECM.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Pattonesque posted:

The Rifleman personally designed by Hanse Davion that has like half of the maximum armor and generates more than twice as much heat as it can sink (and it's not even a bracket build!)

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

There is a whole series of Experimental Technical Readouts full of these, particularly XTRO Boondoggles. The most memorable mech from that was a 110t superheavy that can't move (and usually ends up falling over immediately).

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 27, 2018

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

There is a whole series of Experimental Technical Readouts full of these, particularly XTRO Boondoggles. The most memorably mech from that was a 110t superheavy that can't move (and usually ends up falling over immediately).

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Experimental_Technical_Readout:_Boondoggles

lmao:

"The armor protection was never expected to be remarkable, but Clan leadership was especially disappointed that the Ostscout IIC did not even match the protection of a Succession Wars era Stinger. Bulky components forced the unbalanced placement of the jump jets, causing the 'Mech to reportedly spin counter-clockwise during testing. The Inner Sphere-developed Small Cockpit lacked an ejection system, but even without one it was uncomfortably cramped. Lastly, there was the complete lack of offensive armament. While this loadout may have been palatable for an Inner Sphere military, Clan MechWarriors were outraged at the thought of piloting a BattleMech with no way to actually damage the enemy. Only the TAG laser allowed the MechWarrior to participate in battle, though with artillery support still rare in Clan toumans, it was unlikely that a MechWarrior would have many opportunities to contribute directly to a battle. Compounding all of these problems was another poor decision on the part of the designers. In an attempt to reduce the ballooning per-unit cost, single heat sinks were chosen for the design. While more than sufficient for ground movement, the extremely hot (and expensive) extra-extralight engine - coupled with the eleven jump jets - rapidly overwhelmed the prototypes, forcing shutdowns after a mere three consecutive jumps. While most of these oversights could have been corrected with further development, Khan Samantha Clees chose to cancel the project, transferring the staff to other projects."

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Now that we've all been playing for a while. How do people feel about allying with factions?

I'm currently balancing rep between all them all but I also want to try out ally specific fp's. I'm feeling FWL and FedSun as they don't conflict too much being on opposite sides of the map. The idea of losing all that rep kind of hurts to be honest

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Now that we've all been playing for a while. How do people feel about allying with factions?

I'm currently balancing rep between all them all but I also want to try out ally specific fp's. I'm feeling FWL and FedSun as they don't conflict too much being on opposite sides of the map. The idea of losing all that rep kind of hurts to be honest

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Yeah I stumbled on that earlier. I was more asking along the lines of; if people were happy with the ally flashpoints and faction stores

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah it’s a nice extra thing. Two things to remember: you get score for neg rep in career mode so having a few pissed factions is actually good. Also it really takes the balancing headaches out having a couple punching bags you can always take missions against.

You also don’t lose out on non faction flash points. I’ve had Liao hire me for a few despite despising me. It also made it way easier to gently caress then over on one when they tried to get me to warcrime a bunch of dissidents.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

b0lt posted:

The Rifleman personally designed by Hanse Davion that has like half of the maximum armor and generates more than twice as much heat as it can sink (and it's not even a bracket build!)

The Rifleman's heat curve is fine for it's intended role. It doesn't go into ammo popping territory and since aerospace fighters need time to turn around it can cool off between passes.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I think hes talking about the variant that ripped off the ac5s for ppcs and kept the large lasers and only put on another 5 sinks

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pattonesque posted:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Experimental_Technical_Readout:_Boondoggles

lmao:

"The armor protection was never expected to be remarkable, but Clan leadership was especially disappointed that the Ostscout IIC did not even match the protection of a Succession Wars era Stinger. Bulky components forced the unbalanced placement of the jump jets, causing the 'Mech to reportedly spin counter-clockwise during testing. The Inner Sphere-developed Small Cockpit lacked an ejection system, but even without one it was uncomfortably cramped. Lastly, there was the complete lack of offensive armament. While this loadout may have been palatable for an Inner Sphere military, Clan MechWarriors were outraged at the thought of piloting a BattleMech with no way to actually damage the enemy. Only the TAG laser allowed the MechWarrior to participate in battle, though with artillery support still rare in Clan toumans, it was unlikely that a MechWarrior would have many opportunities to contribute directly to a battle. Compounding all of these problems was another poor decision on the part of the designers. In an attempt to reduce the ballooning per-unit cost, single heat sinks were chosen for the design. While more than sufficient for ground movement, the extremely hot (and expensive) extra-extralight engine - coupled with the eleven jump jets - rapidly overwhelmed the prototypes, forcing shutdowns after a mere three consecutive jumps. While most of these oversights could have been corrected with further development, Khan Samantha Clees chose to cancel the project, transferring the staff to other projects."

You missed the best line.

"Reportedly, the prototypes were sold to Clan Diamond Shark in an attempt to recoup some of the development costs. It is, perhaps, the most damning evidence against the Ostscout IIC that even the Sharks have been unable to sell them."

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
Do the Magistry or the Taurians have a loyalty flashpoint, or is the only point to allying with them access to their faction shop.

Also, can you ally with Arano in campaign mode? They have a faction store on Coromodir, so I'm assuming its possible, but I can't seem to do it career mode.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Allying with Arano is actually the campaign's plot.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Xarbala posted:

Well yeah. I just meant ally as in the sense of "click on the button in the reputation window and get access to the faction store and maybe a loyalty flashpoint". Not in a plot sense.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Yeah I stumbled on that earlier. I was more asking along the lines of; if people were happy with the ally flashpoints and faction stores

I'm allied with FWL and Davion in my current career game. The Flashpoints were cool like the rest but dickishly hard (Target Acquisition garbo where your mechs just get poo poo on turn after turn by 12 heavies/assaults) and I got a Gauss Rifle with no ammo as a reward (how is this a thing?). The stores are just another outlet to get +4dmg SRMs/+10dmg MLs/+4acc AC20s and it's pretty difficult to check them on the reg because they are on opposite sides of the universe.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Xarbala posted:

He obviously meant in career mode.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
anyone know of a good place to pick up engines in RogueTech? I salvaged a Battlemaster and King Crab but I only have 200-rated engines so they're Annihilator-slow r/n

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ditty bout my clitty posted:

He obviously meant in career mode.

Yeah but if I see a shot I'mma take it.