Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Boris Galerkin posted:

I know the answer is “no” but is this remotely true in any way? That’s “most of the people not being paid are Democrats?” Like, I could see this being true if maybe the EPA was shut down. Maybe.

The Federal workforce is in general pretty blue, with some notable pockets of right wingers (usually in law enforcement).

Also the EPA will shut down tomorrow because their reserve funds will run out.

Neighborhood cat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Does Trump think he holds all the cards here wrt the shutdown because the GOP's goal is literally to get rid of the federal government and all the people who work for it are Democrats anyway?

No, Trump thinks he holds all the cards because he's Trump and he has brainworms.

Literally the only person who wants a wall at this point is Trump. Neither the Senate GOP nor what remains of the House Republican caucus will fall on their sword for it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I imagine the Iron Chef guy might do a good job simply because being a world class chef like Gordon Ramsay exposes you to so many different cultures and ways of preparing and cooking food that it might imply some higher degree of open mindedness and creative thinking and sharp wit.

On the other hand, Ramsay has seen a *lot* of fuckup failchefs so should know and done better so who knows.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BTW nice dead cat bounce there. DOW down ~430

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
“Bring me another jar of peanut butter!” barked President Puck, as he vetoed yet another AIDS research spending bill.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Shifty Pony posted:

The Federal workforce is in general pretty blue, with some notable pockets of right wingers (usually in law enforcement).

Also the EPA will shut down tomorrow because their reserve funds will run out.

Neighborhood cat:

I wonder if making law enforcement and some other high .. umm.. stress (isn't the right word, something like ptsd causing?) jobs like firefighting/emts have a rotational or break schedule where every 9 months or whatever they spent 3 months taking puppies to children's hospitals or something would have an impact on some of those jobs tendencies to create pockets of racism and stuff.

The head of the EPA is some trump guy who is actually from a company whose tagline is "gently caress the environment, am i right?" correct?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Raenir Salazar posted:

I imagine the Iron Chef guy might do a good job simply because being a world class chef like Gordon Ramsay exposes you to so many different cultures and ways of preparing and cooking food that it might imply some higher degree of open mindedness and creative thinking and sharp wit.

On the other hand, Ramsay has seen a *lot* of fuckup failchefs so should know and done better so who knows.

Gordon Ramsay isn't the Iron Chef.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Remember when everyone was terrified of Trump getting his first intelligence briefing, and the very first thing he did was go to a rally and talk about what he had seen because he confused it with what was on Fox News, and no one said anything about it?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

VH4Ever posted:

Gordon Ramsay isn't the Iron Chef.

That isn't what I wrote.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

No, Trump thinks he holds all the cards because he's Trump and he has brainworms.

Literally the only person who wants a wall at this point is Trump. Neither the Senate GOP nor what remains of the House Republican caucus will fall on their sword for it.

My theory is that he legitimately does not know about veto override. He thinks that as the CEO King of America he has the final say on everything.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Krispy Wafer posted:

I've always been told that the US Military is specifically made to avoid rigid authority chains. Like if your commanding officer dies the whole thing restructures around the next in line as opposed to the stereotypical 'shoot the leader and they'll all give up'. I think someone posted about that in the Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments thread about zombie movies where separated and isolated army squads turn to anarchy. It doesn't mean that wouldn't happen, but the training is meant to specifically avoid that.

Chain of command. A chain has links. :) even in a complete breakdown of a chain of command and you throw together an adhoc group of soldiers, they should be able to quickly organize themselves. Someone in that group will outrank everyone else.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
President Guy Fieri will lead us to a prosperous level of flavor.

Edit: Apparently I now have an intense potato avatar.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 27, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Push El Burrito posted:

President Guy Fieri only cares about Flavor Town.

The amount of pork that single municipality would get would rival whole regions of the country.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

haveblue posted:

My theory is that he legitimately does not know about veto override. He thinks that as the CEO King of America he has the final say on everything.

Can you imagine him finding out the veto override exists at the very moment Congress overrides his veto? The anger stroke might be the big one that finally finishes him.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh please no one tell him.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Krispy Wafer posted:

President Guy Fieri only cares about Flavor Town.

The amount of pork that single municipality would get would rival whole regions of the country.

The budget for Donkey Sauce would triple.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I legitimately think we might be at the point where the veto override is the only way we reopen the government. President Wet Boy has decided that he wants his wall and will not sign anything that doesn't have "WALL" in it, and Democrats have no incentive to give it to him, especially once they take the House in January.

Meanwhile, all they have to do is keep passing clean CRs and sending them to Mitch McConnell, and eventually a few Republican Senators--particularly the ones up for reelection in 2020--will start to waver.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 27, 2018

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I legitimately think we might be at the point where the veto override is the only way we reopen the government. President Wet Boy has decided that he wants his wall and will not sign anything that doesn't have "WALL" in it, and Democrats have no incentive to give it to him, especially once they take the House in January.

Meanwhile, all they have to do is keep passing clean CRs and sending them to Mitch McConnell.

Congress could send the "Build The Wall and CR for 2019 Act" to his desk that has literally no wall money in it and he would sign and grin like a big strong boy.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I’m kinda surprised Trump hasn’t tried to fire a Senator or Representative yet like a CEO honestly

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Easy Diff posted:

Congress could send the "Build The Wall and CR for 2019 Act" to his desk that has literally no wall money in it and he would sign and grin like a big strong boy.

Sadly, Stephen Miller would be smart enough to check first.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ZypherIM posted:

I wonder if making law enforcement and some other high .. umm.. stress (isn't the right word, something like ptsd causing?) jobs like firefighting/emts have a rotational or break schedule where every 9 months or whatever they spent 3 months taking puppies to children's hospitals or something would have an impact on some of those jobs tendencies to create pockets of racism and stuff.

Some sort of forced rotation would definitely be a good thing.

NPR did a piece about how Germany handles immigration enforcement and the thing that really stuck with me is that they absolutely refuse to have a dedicated immigration/deportation force because, according to the head of the police union and a chief inspector with the German federal police:

"If those officers' job consist of nothing but catching people to deport them, people whose only crime is being in the country without permission – what does that do to those officers? What does it do to their heads and their souls?"

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Push El Burrito posted:

To take a joke seriously, Guy Fieri is by all accounts a really nice guy. He's known to go to disaster areas and feed people barbecue. He would be far from the worst President we've ever had.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ratoslov posted:

To take a joke seriously, Guy Fieri is by all accounts a really nice guy. He's known to go to disaster areas and feed people barbecue. He would be far from the worst President we've ever had.

His hair also looks normal compared to Trump's.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Young Freud posted:

He's not wrong.

People have complained about "what happens if a competent fascist was President?" not realizing that we already had one. The Bush administration was the accumulation of 30 years of conservative efforts to undermine democracy. Trump has swung so hard to the right that it's breaking that machine.

This is why the Democrats trying to help rebrand Bush are really distressing. If they (Michelle Obama, Biden, etc) are willing to pal around and say George Bush is good despite the awful damage he did how are we supposed to address these institutional problems accurately or trust that Trump and his cohorts will be held accountable?

Ratoslov posted:

Guy Fieri is a reverse Milk Shake Duck. He seems like he should be a total rear end in a top hat but from every account he's just a great person (although apparently his last New York restaurant was a disaster).

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ratoslov posted:

Shane Torres is a great comic, but this might be his best bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK6zuii2OLI

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Radish posted:

Guy Fieri is a reverse Milk Shake Duck.

This is pretty much a perfect description, and the kind of sentence 2018 needs.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Easy Diff posted:

Shane Torres is a great comic, but this might be his best bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK6zuii2OLI

I will not stand for this Bourdain slander :colbert:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Radish posted:

This is why the Democrats trying to help rebrand Bush are really distressing.

rebrand him as what? Him being personally nice has always been his deal. That doesn't mean he's good.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/KHOLMESlive/status/1075945048292773888

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Krispy Wafer posted:

I've always been told that the US Military is specifically made to avoid rigid authority chains. Like if your commanding officer dies the whole thing restructures around the next in line as opposed to the stereotypical 'shoot the leader and they'll all give up'. I think someone posted about that in the Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments thread about zombie movies where separated and isolated army squads turn to anarchy. It doesn't mean that wouldn't happen, but the training is meant to specifically avoid that.

This is an issue the Iraqis had in the first Gulf War. Their army was trained through the old Soviet style which was rigid authority, follow orders, and everyone answered to the highest ranking officer. The US was trained to be flexible and adjust while letting junior officers make decisions on their own since they would actually be in the fight rather than hearing about it some 30 miles away. This is part of why the US beat the Iraqi army so bad, they could change and adapt per situation rather than take orders and follow them rigidly no matter the situation. Once communication was cut with their leaders, Iraqi soldiers mostly surrendered because they had no one to tell them what to do or where to go

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Not all heroes wear capes

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Ratoslov posted:

Guy Fieri is an absolute ding-dong but he has a good heart, and gives a poo poo. Reverse milkshake duck indeed.

Krispy Wafer posted:

His hair also looks normal compared to Trump's.

:golfclap:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Look at this snitch.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
He said most of the people affected by the shutdown are Dems so his base would be ok with the shutdown.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Radish posted:

This is why the Democrats trying to help rebrand Bush are really distressing. If they (Michelle Obama, Biden, etc) are willing to pal around and say George Bush is good despite the awful damage he did how are we supposed to address these institutional problems accurately or trust that Trump and his cohorts will be held accountable?

Guy Fieri is a reverse Milk Shake Duck. He seems like he should be a total rear end in a top hat but from every account he's just a great person (although apparently his last New York restaurant was a disaster).

I am not sure if it held its own financially or not (the reason for the closure hasn't been disclosed, and I suppose it COULD be because of expiration of contracts that happen normally, and it WAS around for five years) but it was certainly one of the most godawful clusterfucks of bad taste and bad service when it opened, and spawned the most infamous review ever.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SocketWrench posted:

This is an issue the Iraqis had in the first Gulf War. Their army was trained through the old Soviet style which was rigid authority, follow orders, and everyone answered to the highest ranking officer. The US was trained to be flexible and adjust while letting junior officers make decisions on their own since they would actually be in the fight rather than hearing about it some 30 miles away. This is part of why the US beat the Iraqi army so bad, they could change and adapt per situation rather than take orders and follow them rigidly no matter the situation. Once communication was cut with their leaders, Iraqi soldiers mostly surrendered because they had no one to tell them what to do or where to go

Yeah, the Soviet system was pretty bad. I remember reading about a Russian MiG defector touring American military bases and being shocked to see soldiers independently performing tasks and making decisions.

I guess purges have an effect to keep people quiet.

I really wish Trump would fear a purge.

Kavros posted:

I am not sure if it held its own financially or not (the reason for the closure hasn't been disclosed, and I suppose it COULD be because of expiration of contracts that happen normally, and it WAS around for five years) but it was certainly one of the most godawful clusterfucks of bad taste and bad service when it opened, and spawned the most infamous review ever.

Celebrity chef restaurants are having a hard time now. A lot of Food Network stars are having to scale back operations. Apparently Millennials don't care what famous person owns a restaurant.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Young Freud posted:

He's not wrong.

People have complained about "what happens if a competent fascist was President?" not realizing that we already had one. The Bush administration was the accumulation of 30 years of conservative efforts to undermine democracy. Trump has swung so hard to the right that it's breaking that machine.

I think what makes it so hard is Bush was human. He had some charisma, had he not been a politician he could be someone anyone could go have a beer with. Whereas Trump is just a reprehensible person, someone who is just so non human in his actions and replies that you hate him just for the guy he is regardless of level or class in society. He's the type that in more primitive society would be tossed out because he's a useless shithead that does nothing but undermine the tribe

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

rebrand him as what? Him being personally nice has always been his deal. That doesn't mean he's good.

"Being nice" is dumb bullshit when he's responsible for numerous horrors. Letting politicians get away with separating their personal lives and their professional actions is why they continue to do bad things with no social repercussions.

Also Biden went above characterizing him as nice by awarding him for his work with wounded veterans (that he created by lying to get us into a two decade war).

Kavros posted:

Yeah I wanted to check it out after that review but that was not in the cards.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fun Times! posted:

He said most of the people affected by the shutdown are Dems so his base would be ok with the shutdown.

i'm going to hesitate to say anything about what donald trump, ahem, 'thinks', but here's the tweet:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1078260814157701121

reads to me more along the lines of 'democrats should come do a deal because their base is being made sad'

also, according to his official schedule, he is in DC not Florida, to my surprise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I am fairly confident that this is going to be the longest government shutdown of all time. I am pro-functioning institutions and take no pleasure in reporting this.