Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Teenage Fansub posted:

In case you were wondering if Ben Grimm's wedding would buck the trend of 2018's failed comic marriages, it did! Mazel tov!

The bigger news is that Franklin used the occasion to debut a new hairstyle.

He looks like a moron.

I see why Rachel married him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

In case you were wondering if Ben Grimm's wedding would buck the trend of 2018's failed comic marriages, it did! Mazel tov!

The bigger news is that Franklin used the occasion to debut a new hairstyle.

What the hell happened to make him look like he grew up and became Matthew Lillard from SLC Punk?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Codependent Poster posted:

What the hell happened to make him look like he grew up and became Matthew Lillard from SLC Punk?

Dan Slott, obviously.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Recreating the multi-verse since Secret Wars ending took some time. Honestly comics using relativity to age characters that leave the planet is cool and good (though this obviously ain’t it). That said, Fantastic Four was cute throughout but Slott is obviously rolling out with what he thinks is the Fantastic Four so there’s some characterization that isn’t meshing with the past few years. It’s clearly the F4 but it feels devoid of some of the growth the last decade or so has brought to the characters. Franklin’s stupid hair (which is straight up called dumb and ugly by everyone) is the least of the problems with the book. But really all of those words can be summed up with “I don’t like what they’re doing with Doom”.

Unrelated to this I checked out Superior Spider-Man and the first villain they’re throwing his way is Terrax? That’s... not going to go well for Otto.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Dec 27, 2018

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Rogue and Gambit got married and have a great on-going comic now. :colbert:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, they did age him and Val up a bit while recreating the multiverse, but more importantly, when your dad is rubber, you should be lucky you look like Matthew Lillard and not Gumby.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Unrelated to this I checked out Superior Spider-Man and the first villain they’re throwing his way is Terrax? That’s... not going to go well for Otto.

Me: Terrax? Who is that?

*google searches Terrax*

Me: D-Darkseid?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

IUG posted:

Rogue and Gambit got married and have a great on-going comic now. :colbert:

Which honestly is a much better idea than the Kitty/Peter fakeout. It's really funny, everyone expected them to do what Batman did, which sorta happened, but they replaced it with something better.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
How long until its retconned away by mephisto to save aunt Petunia

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

How long until its retconned away by mephisto to save aunt Petunia

What's up with Aunt Petunia being old? I thought the joke was she was young and hot?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't think I've seen her show up on person in a comic before. I also have read almost 0 FF comics that were written between Jack Kirby leaving in the 60s and Mark Waid writing it in the early 2000's.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

I don't think I've seen her show up on person in a comic before. I also have read almost 0 FF comics that were written between Jack Kirby leaving in the 60s and Mark Waid writing it in the early 2000's.

You can thank John Byrne for it. Finally, the famed Aunt Petunia shows up! Only she's a real dish and it turns out Ben's uncle had a May-December thing going on.

Oh. And Mark Millar killed her off, because of course he did.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
She shows up in Byrne's run on FF and the Baxter Building's Irish doorman (?) describes her as "a foine broth o' woman" which I have a hard time believing has ever been an actual real saying.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

And Mark Millar killed her off, because of course he did.

That makes me wonder, how many low-key post-Secret Wars rebootings (as in not covered in the events of that event, like Miles, Doom and Tony+Steve's war) have been revealed so far?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

That makes me wonder, how many low-key post-Secret Wars rebootings (as in not covered in the events of that event, like Miles, Doom and Tony+Steve's war) have been revealed so far?

I suppose you could count Thor being unworthy again despite regaining his worthiness right before death pre-SW.

Same for Black Panther being king of Wakanda again, since pre-SW he was technically only the ruler of Wakanda's Necropolis city (and even that status got revoked* when he couldn't pull the trigger on one of the planet destroying bombs and all of his ancestors showed up in ghost form to say he's a bad BP and bad king of the dead). Then post-SW he's just king again. You could say that that's because Shuri was kinda part-dead but they never show (or say anything about) a council meeting to reinstate him or anything, and he stays in power after she wakes up so it's not like he was only an acting king.

*but not revoked enough I guess since he invokes his King of the Dead status to control zombies on Battleworld because I guess T'Chaka didn't say it right or because Hickman forgot, whatever.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 27, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

TwoPair posted:

I suppose you could count Thor being unworthy again despite regaining his worthiness right before death pre-SW.

Same for Black Panther being king of Wakanda again, since pre-SW he was technically only the ruler of Wakanda's Necropolis city (and even that status got revoked* when he couldn't pull the trigger on one of the planet destroying bombs and all of his ancestors showed up in ghost form to say he's a bad BP and bad king of the dead). Then post-SW he's just king again. You could say that that's because Shuri was kinda part-dead but they never show (or say anything about) a council meeting to reinstate him or anything, and he stays in power after she wakes up so it's not like he was only an acting king.

*but not revoked enough for I guess since he invokes his King of the Dead status to control zombies because I guess T'Chaka didn't say it right or because Hickman forgot, whatever.

I think??? it was because post sw earth got rebooted earlier in the timeline, before shuri became Queen and then died at the battle with the black order. The shuttle launch sequence happens early in Hickman's avengers run, and then secret wars closes with tchalla returning to that point in time

Thanos, the infinity gems, and all the cosmic mega bosses had their rebooted stuff happen in the ultimates

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

site posted:

I think??? it was because post sw earth got rebooted earlier in the timeline, before shuri became Queen and then died at the battle with the black order. The shuttle launch sequence happens early in Hickman's avengers run, and then secret wars closes with tchalla returning to that point in time

Thanos, the infinity gems, and all the cosmic mega bosses had their rebooted stuff happen in the ultimates

This is it; it's because the SW reboot returned the status quo back to where it was in the first issue of Hickman's Avengers, so instead of the Wakandan kids finding the first Incursion they're launching the spacecraft that is gonna set up Alpha Flight (the current version w/Captain Marvel, not the OG Canadian one). So the poo poo that happens in Hickman's Avengers neatly writes itself out.

Depending on whether you liked Hickman's Avengers or not, this is either a neat storytelling device with metatextual qualities or a cheapass copout

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Actually now I'm curious because shuri was still dead from that last battle until like two arcs into tncs black panther so what's up with that lol

Like, it happened but also didn't happen?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It almost all definitely happened. Many books springing out of it make explicit reference to it. Books like Ultimates and Squadron Supreme are books where the basis of their existence is completely dependent on it happening.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's all just Franklin Richards justified retcons, not a literal world rewinding.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
RICHARDS!!!! :argh:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The F4 wedding special was great. :) I appreciated Ben's awareness that superhero weddings always end in shenanigans.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

site posted:

I also think, separate to the Secret Wars reboot, T'Challa got a personal do-over. Because at the end of Secret Wars, he is fighting God Doom with an Infinity Gauntlet. And during the fight it gets wrecked, but at the end T'Challa still has the Time Gem (clearly the toughest of all the gems.) And he seems to use that gem to go back in time. So maybe he rolled his personal time back to before the first issue of New Avengers?

As for Franklin and his dumb hair cut, I am afraid of what sort of universes he's going to create now. Maybe this is where the Tarot universe comes in.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They're done creating universes, at least for now. Molecule Man was seemingly killed, so the rest of the Future Foundation decided they'd search for him while the Richardses returned home.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Marvel really needs to release a complete volume of the Kaine Scarlet Spider series.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I've been catching up on spencer's amazing spider man and I really like how he pretty much completely undid that horrible poo poo with black cat turning into kingpin light and made her and spidey friends again :). I always liked how those two characters played off one another.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Monaghan posted:

I've been catching up on spencer's amazing spider man and I really like how he pretty much completely undid that horrible poo poo with black cat turning into kingpin light and made her and spidey friends again :). I always liked how those two characters played off one another.

The whole conversation was so well done with Felicia explaining how being robbed of Peter's identity had created a hole in her life which is completely understandable.

I'm not one of the big haters of Slott's run like a lot of people but it seems pretty clear right now that one by one Spencer is really intentionally undoing a lot of that run.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

one by one Spencer is really intentionally undoing a lot of that run.

I'M SO TORN

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That was a surprisingly fun issue. I need another Spider-Man related book in my life like I need a Spawn movie, but I added it to my pull list.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rhyno posted:

I'M SO TORN

It’s a decent run, someone is keeping Spencer from going full Spencer......for now.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Can't believe zub put a bunch of z-listers on the champions and then nonchalantly says oh yeah honey badger and silk are on the backup roster. YOU DON'T PUT GABBY ON THE BACKUP ROSTER SHE IS YOUR A-LISTER

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

She doesn't need to be on The Champions. Gabby theoretically should be everywhere because she's great but in reality we need to keep her in as few hands as possible so she stays great.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
And i still think the notion of being in a whole two books at once would wear out the character to be fairly ridiculous

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Monaghan posted:

Yeah, I'm subscribed to ASM now. It's nice to have a Spidey book to look forward to again after Renew Your Vows and Zdarsky's Spec run ended.

X-O posted:

The whole conversation was so well done with Felicia explaining how being robbed of Peter's identity had created a hole in her life which is completely understandable.

I'm not one of the big haters of Slott's run like a lot of people but it seems pretty clear right now that one by one Spencer is really intentionally undoing a lot of that run.
They're even dropping hints that they might bring the marriage back, which granted probably isn't happening, but I WANT TO BELIEVE.

site posted:

Can't believe zub put a bunch of z-listers on the champions and then nonchalantly says oh yeah honey badger and silk are on the backup roster. YOU DON'T PUT GABBY ON THE BACKUP ROSTER SHE IS YOUR A-LISTER
:agreed:

Speaking of Z-Listers, I'm surprised (but happy) that some of the Avengers Academy kids are actually coming back - we had Finesse show up in Unstoppable Wasp as a villain, and Hazmat's coming back in Captain Marvel.

Still bummed that Mettle is dead though. Frigging Arena/Undercover...

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

And i still think the notion of being in a whole two books at once would wear out the character to be fairly ridiculous

Part of the appeal of Gabby is she is somehow snarky and violent yet still generally wholesome. There's not a lot of writers I trust to toe that line. I think its very lucky we've got another one that does it as good as Taylor did. I'm all for expanding her but I'd rather the writers that do her well flesh out her character a little more before we let a whole bunch of people take a crack at writing her. I mean I can just imagine some really cringey bad writing with a character like her and I'm not looking forward to it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

Unless Champions has dramatically improved in quality recently, I don't want Gabby anywhere near that.

(I know Zub isn't as bad as Waid's Champions, but the little bit I've read I still found to be utterly mediocre.)

I guess I should be thankful that someone remembered Silk's alive before she falls to "character killed in background of event" status.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay if you don't want zub in particular then i can't really argue with that. I dont doubt that he is trying but it still isn't great, and tbh now that he just added a bunch of new characters im expecting it to fly out of control very soon

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

I guess I should be thankful that someone remembered Silk's alive before she falls to "character killed in background of event" status.

I miss Silk's ongoing. :smith:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

TwoPair posted:

Unless Champions has dramatically improved in quality recently, I don't want Gabby anywhere near that.

(I know Zub isn't as bad as Waid's Champions, but the little bit I've read I still found to be utterly mediocre.)

I really like Silk and hope to see more of her. She was just barely present in the spider event, even though she was technically still ugh the bride.
But isn't she a bit old to hang out with all of those teenagers? She was in the same class as Peter after all. Unfortunately, the wasted years in the bunker do count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Dawgstar posted:

I miss Silk's ongoing. :smith:
Amy Pascal apparently wants her in the (movie) Spider-Verse sequel, which I'm assuming based on how the first one's doing is more-or-less a lock at this point, so expect her to get a new one in a couple of years to tie in with that, hopefully.