Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Awesome that’s good to know. Yeah the primary area is PA, so while it can get cold, it’s not like say Minnesota usually. This is mostly for a few hours here and there when it makes less sense to bring it along inside (say like in a Mall).

I clipped a carabiner to my switch case, I then clip it to a belt loop. It becomes really easy to just take with you anywhere if you don't want to leave it in the car. I don't think they sell the one I have anymore but most cases should have something even if it's just a punched hole in a zipper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

pixaal posted:

I clipped a carabiner to my switch case, I then clip it to a belt loop. It becomes really easy to just take with you anywhere if you don't want to leave it in the car. I don't think they sell the one I have anymore but most cases should have something even if it's just a punched hole in a zipper.

I think if I tried this, I would get my Switch stolen by a pocket thief the very moment I step outside my apartment.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I suck at smashing.

But it's a lot of fun.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tuo posted:

I suck at smashing.

But it's a lot of fun.

Related. Kind of want to get this for the kids, but it would just be button smashing/basic controls, without combos or anything. Would they still have fun or is this something you need like SF/Tekken combo skills? Also how hard is it to unlock characters? I'd hate for most of the characters to be locked for them.

Also thanks to everyone whose been answering all my random questions, I really appreciate it.

content
Feb 13, 2014

Croccers posted:

Is there a piano or keyboard app/game for the Switch?

Korg Gadget is a pretty fun pseudo DAW, but is comically overpriced on the switch. Plus, there's no MIDI functionality (no, labo doesn't work), so maybe research it before you make the plunge. I personally can't imagine using a DAW without some sort of MIDI keyboard compatibility, and I don't see Nintendo adding support anytime soon.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Related. Kind of want to get this for the kids, but it would just be button smashing/basic controls, without combos or anything. Would they still have fun or is this something you need like SF/Tekken combo skills? Also how hard is it to unlock characters? I'd hate for most of the characters to be locked for them.

Also thanks to everyone whose been answering all my random questions, I really appreciate it.

A kid can totally just mash buttons and enjoy Smash Bros. The game basically boils down to hold a direction and press one of two attack buttons.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

tuo posted:

I suck at smashing.

But it's a lot of fun.

:same:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

I wouldn't have liked Celeste had I played it. I did enjoy watching an LP of it, though.

:rolleyes:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

TaurusOxford posted:

A kid can totally just mash buttons and enjoy Smash Bros. The game basically boils down to hold a direction and press one of two attack buttons.

Most kids are just going to use the smash attack buttons and not the basic attacks (which tend to be really powerful since you can charge them).

The c-stick is a hotkey to every smash attack, so just teach kids to play using that first as it will be very easy to pick up. At least that's how I played 64 and melee as a kid that was horrible at all things fighting games. The only fighting game character I can play is Sub Zero in MKII, and it's mostly cheesing with frost spam, the only combo I know.

content
Feb 13, 2014

tuo posted:

I suck at smashing.

But it's a lot of fun.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Hey you guys how is labyrinth of refrain does it have enough dungeon crawling and anime?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dpulex posted:

Hey you guys how is labyrinth of refrain does it have enough dungeon crawling and anime?

it has extreme amounts of both

also the story is very :psyduck:

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Any particular brand of sd card i should go with for the switch or just whatever has the best cost to gig ratio?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I am not good enough to do combos and have literally won some fights just spastically mashing buttons because trying to win had failed and I got mad.

I suck at fighting games. Smashing is fun.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

tuo posted:

I suck at smashing.

But it's a lot of fun.

I've always been the worst of my friends at Smash, but honestly I think I have the most fun because I don't care when I lose.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Maybe they make more sense to pokemon go regulars but I cannot figure out the pokeyman capture in let's go. wasted like 2 dozen balls missing a butterfree yesterday. is that normal and the throws are random, or is there some technique to aiming these fuckers?

(Also I want the circle as small as possible on impact, right?)

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Look Sir Droids posted:

I am not good enough to do combos and have literally won some fights just spastically mashing buttons because trying to win had failed and I got mad.

I suck at fighting games. Smashing is fun.

Hmm. I think this also will fit the skill level of my wife and I.

Also how is control with the split Joycons vs the full joycon? This video is a little discouraging...although perhaps it's some ultra tourney level guy playing at a level I can't appreciate or care about lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kM9UQrqsS0

I can see three of us playing at once, but I'm not sure I really want to drop money on another joycon yet, although the idea of the three of us playing at once does seem quite amusing (and heck with another joycon split our two year old can SMASH and all four of us can play).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

content posted:

Korg Gadget is a pretty fun pseudo DAW, but is comically overpriced on the switch. Plus, there's no MIDI functionality (no, labo doesn't work), so maybe research it before you make the plunge. I personally can't imagine using a DAW without some sort of MIDI keyboard compatibility, and I don't see Nintendo adding support anytime soon.

It looked interesting but I was reading that there's no way to do anything with what you create and you can't export it.

Kithyen posted:

Any particular brand of sd card i should go with for the switch or just whatever has the best cost to gig ratio?

35 dollars is the lowest you will see a real 128GB card. if something seems too good to be true, it is. It might show up as being the correct size, but it will just pretend to write things above the actual flash size (probably 32GB) and the files it shows will appear to be corrupted, but just won't even exist. Samsung is a good brand.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kithyen posted:

SanDisk is pretty reliable. Get it from a reputable vendor, as there are tons of counterfeits running around.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Hmm. I think this also will fit the skill level of my wife and I.

Also how is control with the split Joycons vs the full joycon? This video is a little discouraging...although perhaps it's some ultra tourney level guy playing at a level I can't appreciate or care about lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kM9UQrqsS0

I can see three of us playing at once, but I'm not sure I really want to drop money on another joycon yet, although the idea of the three of us playing at once does seem quite amusing (and heck with another joycon split our two year old can SMASH and all four of us can play).

Split joycons suck on Smash. It's doable, but you won't have a full range of buttons to mash in single player. If you're playing against other people, as long as everyone has a joycon you're all on even footing. It's fine. Just not great. Those things are p small. I don't have big hands and even I think they're small.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Midjack posted:

SanDisk is pretty reliable. Get it from a reputable vendor, as there are tons of counterfeits running around.

I've been using PNY with no issues. I should add that MicroCenter with their in store brand, has always been fine and the prices are really nice if you live near one (plus they have a really good return policy). The PNY only got used because it was a left over from when I had a Note 7.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Split joycons suck on Smash. It's doable, but you won't have a full range of buttons to mash in single player. If you're playing against other people, as long as everyone has a joycon you're all on even footing. It's fine. Just not great. Those things are p small. I don't have big hands and even I think they're small.

Drats. Yeah, this would only be for inter family play, but I do agree those things felt really small when I tried them out. Maybe I should just shell for the other Joycon. Luckily it's not a rush as she's currently transfixed with SMB Odyssey.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 27, 2018

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MazelTovCocktail posted:

In all honesty, playing with the split joycons is a dumpster fire, and the full joycons isn't much better. Maybe your kids will find it better because of their small hands, but as a 6'3" male I could not buy a third-party Gamecube controller fast enough.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TaurusOxford posted:

In all honesty, playing with the split joycons is a dumpster fire, and the full joycons isn't much better. Maybe your kids will find it better because of their small hands, but as a 6'3" male I could not buy a third-party Gamecube controller fast enough.

Yeah, I have huge hands myself, so the thing felt awkward as hell when not in the grips (I can't say I'm exactly in love with them in portable configuration, but I think that's just more of a new system thing to get used to). Quick question how do old gamecube controllers work, using an 8bitdo adapter? Related how to you use multiple controllers with only one USB port on the system? I apologize for the super basic question, I saw GC controllers being mentioned and I was kind of confused how that worked.

EDIT: Oh Nintendo makes an adapter. I never got the whole love with the GC controllers as I never liked it playing Twin Snakes (and also bias to the Xbox and PS3 controllers)

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 27, 2018

content
Feb 13, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

It looked interesting but I was reading that there's no way to do anything with what you create and you can't export it.

I mean, just recording from your 1/8 jack isn't difficult. I did this all the time with the Korg DS-10. I'm sure this is not super easy for everyone, but I'm pretty used to things I use to make music not having any sort of connectivity.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Yeah, I have huge hands myself, so the thing felt awkward as hell when not in the grips (I can't say I'm exactly in love with them in portable configuration, but I think that's just more of a new system thing to get used to). Quick question how do old gamecube controllers work, using an 8bitdo adapter? Related how to you use multiple controllers with only one USB port on the system? I apologize for the super basic question, I saw GC controllers being mentioned and I was kind of confused how that worked.

You'll need a GC controller adapter: https://www.amazon.com/Gamecube-Con...r+adapter&psc=1

Also, there's three USB ports on the system - two of them are on the side of the dock.

Edit: The GC controller works MUCH better when Nintendo could make games that were designed around it. Smash and Metroid Prime are examples of that controller working great.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 27, 2018

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
As a human with hands and not an eSports guy you won't have much fun playing Smash with split Joy Cons, as possible as it is.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
With Monster Hunter World I rushed the story missions to open up everything. Should I do that with Generations Ultimate or is there no need?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Kithyen posted:

The 256gb SanDisk is $49.99 right now and it's great https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0758NHWS8/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_9csjCb0QFSSQ9

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Over There posted:

With Monster Hunter World I rushed the story missions to open up everything. Should I do that with Generations Ultimate or is there no need?

There is no story in GU. Just open up whatever you want. It's great.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Wildtortilla posted:

There is no story in GU. Just open up whatever you want. It's great.

Perfect

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

THAT'S NOT A BALD SPOT!! that's just where my cat was eating my dandruff
Regarding play with split joycons I picked a pair of these up cheap and it's a huge jump up from just the single joycon on it's own.

Pairing them or a pro or gamecube controller are obviously preferable but I'm probably gonna rely on split joy cons for multiplayer for a bit and wanted to make them at least somewhat manageable.

https://www.amazon.com/FastSnail-co...=fastsnail+grip

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
As someone with the kind of hands that they designed the original XBox controller for, playing with split joycons is maddeningly difficult at best. Even both joycons in the grip is pushing it. Portable mode works pretty well for me though.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

As someone with the kind of hands that they designed the original XBox controller for, playing with split joycons is maddeningly difficult at best. Even both joycons in the grip is pushing it. Portable mode works pretty well for me though.

Get the battery pack
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071XXXK2X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0ZtjCbD71XNB0

Makes the joycons the best.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

you can also grasp smaller objects by closing your hands further

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You probably have too much hand, try trimming away 30% of it and see if that fixes the issue.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is there any chance of them adding Pro Controller support to SmashMario Party? It's kind of ridiculous me and a friend have to use two tiny joy-cons instead of one using the pro controller and another the 2 joycon controller.

Edit: I'm an idiot

RCarr fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 27, 2018

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Uhh smash supports the pro controller

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

RCarr posted:

Is there any chance of them adding Pro Controller support to Smash? It's kind of ridiculous me and a friend have to use two tiny joy-cons instead of one using the pro controller and another the 2 joycon controller.

Wtf.

I've played for 60 hours since launch and never touched a non pro controller.

Its always supported it.

When family came over we played

Pro
Joycons in grip
Single joycon
Single joycon
Gamecube controller
Gamecube controller

Perfectly and seemless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF