Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

but how is a private business supposed to get free labor with a public art studio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

Still got mine. Back says it was printed in 2007. Were they really still around then? drat.

i imagine in like 10 years having membership key tags for dead stores is going to be some kind of dumb fashion thing

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i had a friend in high school who got juvenile probation or some sort of community service sentence and he worked it off by working for goodwill

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

another thing to keep in mind is that a Goodwill in Seattle, one in Boston, and one in Kansas City are all run by different organizations with different policies who share branding and a loose mission. Our local heartland district seems to be run by earnest believers in the power of good hard work under capitalism to transform lives- they're wrong, imo, but the middle management folks I've interacted with don't seem to be operating cynically. Up the chain, or in a different district, who knows.

Local Goodwill is also running into a problem here in KC because Missouri passed a new minimum wage ($12/hr I think?) but Kansas did not - so the default idea is to pay MO employees $12, while continuing to pay KS employees like $8, and that's not going over well with the more principled managers at the moment

It's a complicated thing where it's like someone's trying to dig a pond with a pickaxe- you want a pond there, the person is being very nice by digging it, but it's going to take forever and be a crappy pond because they insist on using a single, unfit tool for ideological reasons

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Powershift posted:

i imagine in like 10 years having membership key tags for dead stores is going to be some kind of dumb fashion thing

"Heh, you think you know suffering?"

*unrolls sleeve to receal circuit city tattoo*

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Bro Dad posted:

"Heh, you think you know suffering?"

*unrolls sleeve to receal circuit city tattoo*

:yikes:

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Shaka, when the Sears fell

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Coolness Averted posted:

I'm beginning to think this whole capitalism thing might be bad

:hmmyes:

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Shame Boy posted:

There's a picture I saw a long time ago that was just an MS paint drawing of the US, with the south colored in red, and a legend showing that red was "BAD STUFF"

I'm guessing that's liberal speak for black people?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

spacetoaster posted:

I think it's 'hurr libtard for everything but black people'

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
coastal Americans think the south is not only white but would gladly see its people wiped from the face of the earth

edit: especially the "progressives"

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Nah I just think it is monstrous that the GOP won't release it's constrictor strangle hold on the whole region and fucks everyone who lives there on a consistent basis on some weirdo ideological poo poo that didn't work 100 years ago let alone now.

Like the canard of 'aha but it is much higher proportion minorities there so you're saying they suck at governing themselves hmm?' doesn't work when you realize the minority voters are the targets of systematic disenfranchisement, whether via high rates of incarceration on bullshit charges or straight fraudulently striking voter records from the rolls.

It's just a perfect example of what the GOP wants for America as a whole - less votes for non-white people, more religion, more trickle down voodoo economics. That's why leftists point to it. Because despite 'hur hur California' and 'lol free stuff' we all know who is worse off and who takes in more federal tax dollars to stay afloat. It's the glaring obvious failure of GOP governing that they can't just handwave away. They control the South, they've ensured that via any means necessary, and they've hosed it up even for the white people.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 06:11 on Dec 26, 2018

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
So I got a pair of shorts as a gift this year and it still has the ink tag on it. Got me thinking on all the poo poo we destroy so somebody doesn't get something for free. Anyone got some good reads on that?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

shove me like you do posted:

So I got a pair of shorts as a gift this year and it still has the ink tag on it. Got me thinking on all the poo poo we destroy so somebody doesn't get something for free. Anyone got some good reads on that?

Burberry literally burned some 20 million GBP worth of clothes this year so poors wouldn't wear them instead

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
£20 M tag price.

The world is only poorer by the value of their weight in rags.

e: Richemont destroyed £428 of watches, but it’s not like we could share 1.4 million tonnes of rice if they hadn’t produced the wasted watches. The world had already forfeited the vast majority of the labour, real estate, energy, &c. when Richemont decided to build a load of gilded bullshit that’s less function than an equivalent number of Casio F-91Ws.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 14:52 on Dec 26, 2018

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

shove me like you do posted:

Personally I would rather my possessions self destruct than let someone get away with stealing them from me but seeing as corporations aren't considered individuals wait poo poo

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

The joke is that literally every map of every problem occurring in the united states is basically "color the south red and mark it 'bad stuff'". It is a joke about maps.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I mean it's related to black people being there, because spite and racism are the source of quite a few of the bad stuffs, sure, but it was clearly just A Joke About Maps

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Peanut Butler posted:

another thing to keep in mind is that a Goodwill in Seattle, one in Boston, and one in Kansas City are all run by different organizations with different policies who share branding and a loose mission. Our local heartland district seems to be run by earnest believers in the power of good hard work under capitalism to transform lives- they're wrong, imo, but the middle management folks I've interacted with don't seem to be operating cynically. Up the chain, or in a different district, who knows.

It's like this everywhere, and that is The Point, you create a system that is ultimately evil, but you keep the evil obtuse and obfuscated while the public interactions are tiny little slivers of good populated by well-intentioned morons. It makes any kind of criticism more or less impossible because any time you point this out you get drowned in the "why do you hate charity" rhetoric and it forces you to adopt some kind of asinine "support the troops, not the war" line that leaves you constantly on the back foot.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I see you also read the late stage capitalism reddit

I work in transplant and the issue with organ shortage is more related to the system not being opt out. There are definitely cultural factors as well.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

actionjackson posted:

one of the few good subreddits

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I can't remember which side LSC was on during the antifa catgirl wars

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Hey, some of us fought in that war, comrade-nyan~

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

actionjackson posted:

I work in transplant and the issue with organ shortage is more related to the system not being opt out. There are definitely cultural factors as well.

/r/lostgeneration is ripe with content as well.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

/r/askamanager

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 19:26 on Dec 26, 2018

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moridin920 posted:

/r/askamanager

I wouldn't have made it past the hiring paperwork if I knew that lol

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Moridin920 posted:

/r/askamanager

maybe don't go to your boss and threaten to unionize

just unionize, then threaten your boss

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

T-man posted:

maybe don't go to your boss and threaten to unionize

just unionize, then threaten your boss

Maybe don't threaten your boss

Just guillotine your boss

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Outrail posted:

Maybe don't threaten your boss

Just guillotine your boss

Cut his brake lines. Every day.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

red19fire posted:

Cut his brake lines. Every day.

Cutting someone's brake lines is very illegal and could hurt innocent bystanders.

Guillotining your boss effects no innocent victims and is 100% legal. Provided the revolution is successful of course.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtNEaB1MITY

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

It's hilarious when 30 year olds use the term "adulting".

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'm gonna be 40 in less than a year and own a house. I still feel like a child faking it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

EvilJoven posted:

I'm gonna be 40 in less than a year and own a house. I still feel like a child faking it.

My friend went back to college recently to get his masters in psychology and like the first thing the professor said was "you'll all probably have impostor syndrome and feel like you don't belong here, don't worry you're as qualified to be here as anyone else :shrug:"

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's even worse for me now because due to reasons I ended up exiting the white collar world and now work in a bike shop and I feel so disconnected from the normal world idkwtf.

But at least when the revolution comes I might be relatively safe because last I heard bicycle mechanics seldomly get put up against the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

EvilJoven posted:

I just turned 40, and own a house/have wife and kids/about to retire from first career and start a brand new one. I don't feel that way, but I don't think it would be too hard to do simply because there are so many immature 30/40 year olds in my city doing everything they can to pretend they're still in middle school.

EvilJoven posted:

But at least when the revolution comes I might be relatively safe because last I heard bicycle mechanics seldomly get put up against the wall.

We're gonna need you to fix the farming equipment.