Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Argh, I'm trying to paint some kalabite warriors for the same friend who's bribing me with vostroyans but he wants them in white stormtrooper armour. These are horrible little figures, I hate them and white armour. There's got to be a simple way to not make them look like rear end.

e: oops, forgot the tax.

Here's some WIP for an armiger I'm also doing

Basic colours done, now need to do details and weathering.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Uroboros posted:

This is perhaps the most baffling thing my cat does...

My cat knocks figs off the table as cats do. He despises them.

Look at this hamslayer moving in for the kill:

Edit: hmm, gif cuts out but he powerslams those poor drones

(While i'm here, can ground units charge flyers? Someone told me they couldn't but I can't find the rule anywhere.)

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Harvey Mantaco posted:

(While i'm here, can ground units charge flyers? Someone told me they couldn't but I can't find the rule anywhere.)

It's not a blanket rule, but many flyers have a rule on their datasheet that says they can only charged by (and only fight with in the fight phase) units with the FLY keyword

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I checked out the Voxcast on my drive back from visiting family. I'm either losing my hearing as I become old, or Jes Goodwin's bassy growl is nearly indistinguishable from road noise.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I finished up a warboss, really fun model to paint!

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Lizard Combatant posted:

Argh, I'm trying to paint some kalabite warriors for the same friend who's bribing me with vostroyans but he wants them in white stormtrooper armour. These are horrible little figures, I hate them and white armour. There's got to be a simple way to not make them look like rear end.

Get a set of acrylic pencils to cheat the edge highlights

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

evol262 posted:

Show me this magic.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

R0ckfish posted:

Looks drat slick. Love the blue.

evol262 posted:

Sorcery! Thanks!

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

ijyt posted:

Cheers, it's a basecoat of VMA Gunmetal highlighted with VMA Steel, then matte varnished and stained with burnt umber oil paint (dab in on liberally, let it dry a couple of minutes, then wipe it down with a cloth, repeat until happy). The soot is just airbrushed on black acrylic, and a final edge wear with a hard graphite pencil.

Thanks a lot! The airbrushing is beyond my means, but maybe some light sponging/wiping might manage something similar. I'll definitely try it on the next big gun that needs painting :)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

moths posted:

I checked out the Voxcast on my drive back from visiting family. I'm either losing my hearing as I become old, or Jes Goodwin's bassy growl is nearly indistinguishable from road noise.

Make sure it's playing at normal speed. They talk really fast.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

evol262 posted:

To clarify, you do mean pencils not those gundam markers right?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Make sure it's playing at normal speed. They talk really fast.

I could understand the host clearly, but I was really straining to make out everything Goodwin said.

But I'm in my early 40's now, so it's probably just how things are now. I'll try listening on earbuds later. I'm still hoping I can put this down to road noise interference if nobody else had problems with the mix.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Lizard Combatant posted:

To clarify, you do mean pencils not those gundam markers right?

Right. I'm traveling right now, and I can't be bothered looking up a link to a video/blog, but it's easy enough to do.

Get a set of acrylic pencils from Amazon. Draw the highlights on. It's pretty powdery, so you can brush it off with your finger if you gently caress it up. But it's pretty powdery, so you'll also gently caress it up of you keep painting after this.

When you're satisfied, hit it with a varnish, which will liquify it and seal it on, at which point you're set.

For all the finicky edges on kabalites and wyches, or even power armor, this can save years of your life. It's mindblowingly fast and error proof

I'll put up a quick set of images when I get home next week of this doesn't make sense

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

evol262 posted:

Right. I'm traveling right now, and I can't be bothered looking up a link to a video/blog, but it's easy enough to do.

Get a set of acrylic pencils from Amazon. Draw the highlights on. It's pretty powdery, so you can brush it off with your finger if you gently caress it up. But it's pretty powdery, so you'll also gently caress it up of you keep painting after this.

When you're satisfied, hit it with a varnish, which will liquify it and seal it on, at which point you're set.

For all the finicky edges on kabalites and wyches, or even power armor, this can save years of your life. It's mindblowingly fast and error proof

I'll put up a quick set of images when I get home next week of this doesn't make sense

Wha? :psyboom:

I want to try this but I've never heard of Acrylic Pencils before, only wax and chalk. Searching Amazon I only came up with Artreza colored pencils but they say wax based. I don't want to waste my money on the wrong ones.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
If you can edge highlight with acrylic pencils and throw a varnish on there, I am extremely into it

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

evol262 posted:

I too wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.

evol262 posted:

You just blew my fetid plague-ridden mind! Will hit the local art supply store today and share what I find!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

inscrutable horse posted:

Thanks a lot! The airbrushing is beyond my means, but maybe some light sponging/wiping might manage something similar. I'll definitely try it on the next big gun that needs painting :)

Yeah for sure, as long as you have the bare minimum amount of paint on the sponge and build it up slowly you’d get the same effect.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Lizard Combatant posted:

e: oops, forgot the tax.

There’s a goon who improved upon a mass production dipping style they found on YouTube. They did it for like 120 chaos AoS minis and they turned out really well for super fast table top quality.

He also did a test model for a kabalite and it looked even better. I think because the chaos dudes have a bunch of flesh but the kabalites are pure armor. I don’t know if they highlighted the kabalite manually but the model looked incredible for such a quick paint job.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 8, 2020

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i ordered the kill team rogue trader box from amazon and some of the stuff on the red sprue was broken off and loose in the box, who's customer support would be better to contact about this? amazon or games workshop?

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

There’s a goon who improved upon a mass production dipping style they found on YouTube. They did it for like 120 chaos AoS minis and they turned out really well for super fast table top quality.

He also did a test model for a kabalite and it looked even better. I think because the chaos dudes have a bunch of flesh but the kabalites are pure armor. I don’t know if they highlighted the kabalite manually but the model looked incredible for such a quick paint job.

In Jizzy news, I’m gonna buy one of those badger airbrushes when they have their birthday sale. After that though it’s probably another six months of saving to build a nice financial safety net before I start spending on recreational stuff like hams

Got a link to that? Please and thanks

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Just to clarify, I'm drunk and I misspoke. I checked my order history and they're actually watercolor pencils, and not acrylic. Tutorial still applies, though. For anyone looking at Amazon/Dick Block/wherever, it's watercolor.

Specifically, I have:

OOKU Watercolor Pencils Arist Set - 48 Dry Coloring Pencils/Wet Watercolor Painting - BONUS Wool Pencil Canvas Wrap, Watercolor Brush, Pencil Sharpene https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XD318QF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_LYOLiMZ86B49u

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i ordered the kill team rogue trader box from amazon and some of the stuff on the red sprue was broken off and loose in the box, who's customer support would be better to contact about this? amazon or games workshop?

GW's most likely, as long as you can provide a proof of purchase I'm pretty sure they'll send you replacement sprues.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
How are Valkyries? My brother got me one for Christmas and I figure if they don’t add it as a flier to the GSC list I could also add a small detachment of Scions to bring it.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

evol262 posted:

Just to clarify, I'm drunk and I misspoke. I checked my order history and they're actually watercolor pencils, and not acrylic. Tutorial still applies, though. For anyone looking at Amazon/Dick Block/wherever, it's watercolor.

Specifically, I have:

OOKU Watercolor Pencils Arist Set - 48 Dry Coloring Pencils/Wet Watercolor Painting - BONUS Wool Pencil Canvas Wrap, Watercolor Brush, Pencil Sharpene https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XD318QF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_LYOLiMZ86B49u

Use the watercolour pencil on edges, then brush water over the top?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

So about the 3D printed wash stand- they take about 3 hours to make which isn’t bad. I’m humoring the idea of making some SA-inspired ones and giving them out to goonhams- I’ll keep everyone updated.. stay tuned.

On another note, I finished the heavy stubber gunner finally:

I wish transports were good for guard, I really want to make some cattle trucks.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Maneck posted:

Use the watercolour pencil on edges, then brush water over the top?

No, still watercolor pencil then varnish or lacquer. The sealer will liquify it and set it so you can do whatever else (glazes, washes, whatever) without taking the edge highlights off.

Here's a video from Secret Weapon which explains it: https://youtu.be/L_oM5JMkwQI

Or a blog: http://airbrushandanalog.blogspot.com/2015/12/cheat-edge-highlights.html?m=1

evol262 fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 28, 2018

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Storm trooper armor is a pain in the rear end to do correctly. It’s a gloss off-white with a bunch of details and curves, good luck shading and highlighting that for 30+ dudes.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Yeah if I can't even get one to look good without spending a day on it I'm going to bail.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Would like to know more.

evol262 posted:

Specifically, I have:

This is great, can't wait to try it out.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 28, 2018

Muninn
Dec 29, 2008
I am absolutely going to try edge highlighting with those pencils. Which varnish do people recommend? I seem to recall Testors Dullcote being popular.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Muninn posted:

I am absolutely going to try edge highlighting with those pencils. Which varnish do people recommend? I seem to recall Testors Dullcote being popular.

I really like tamiya flat clear, but I also use their rattle cans to base so AMA about being bad with money.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Muninn posted:

I've always used Dullcote and I've always had fantastic results. It gets pricey though, since the cans are real tiny.

All that talk of airbrushes earlier made me wonder about airbrushing varnish. Is there are a "gold standard" airbrushable varnish, similar to dullcote for rattle?

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Pledge Future Gloss is great. Gloss, tough as hell, cheap, no thinning required. Only downside is you really don't want to let it dry in your airbrush but you should be cleaning up afterwards anyways.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

fashionly snort posted:

Got a link to that? Please and thanks

Lizard Combatant posted:

Would like to know more.

dexefiend posted:

My speed painted 20 minutes or less Drukhari Sybarite to test if this scheme works for absolute speedpainting:

Let's see how he looks tomorrow!

dexefiend posted:

I mounted all the Bloodreavers and some heroes on roofing nails like i saw on a video. Then I sliced up a cardboard box and turned them into painting stands (nails go into the corrugation spaces).

This allowed me to spray prime from every angle with Army Painter Barbarian Flesh or Duplicolor Red Primer.

Took about 2 hours all said and done (nails were glued on last night).

The Bloodreavers are getting dipped, and the nails will be thrown into a power drill to spin off the excess.

Inspirational video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtSdPJJYHTE

if you go through dexefiend's posts in that thread... it's incredible. Dexefiend is an absolute machine at modeling.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

R0ckfish posted:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

That Gobbo posted:

Pledge Future Gloss is great. Gloss, tough as hell, cheap, no thinning required. Only downside is you really don't want to let it dry in your airbrush but you should be cleaning up afterwards anyways.

It's just straight acrylic so it should clean up fine if it dries. I could be wrong though.

I really like Vallejo Mecha.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
postin' models

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

if you go through dexefiend's posts in that thread... it's incredible. Dexefiend is an absolute machine at modeling.

I've never seen dipping look that good! I don't know if I can not gently caress it up.

So assuming I sprayed these dumb elves a racing white, could I use an acrylic varnish and highlight the edges with a pencil then dull coat? What colour varnish should I be looking for?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Duct Tape posted:

I've always used Dullcote and I've always had fantastic results. It gets pricey though, since the cans are real tiny.

All that talk of airbrushes earlier made me wonder about airbrushing varnish. Is there are a "gold standard" airbrushable varnish, similar to dullcote for rattle?

Vallejo Mecha Matt Varnish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Two Beans posted:

postin' models

Freakin' fantastic job. Lots of other amazing models posted recently too.