Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sarsapariller posted:

But that's obvious bullshit,

Well, it came out of CIG, of course its bullshit, but i bet it sold lots of JPGs!

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

I said come in! posted:

Not that anyone here needs justification, but I have played the latest version of Star Citizen and it does truly loving suck and is devoid of content. Also for a game that is supposedly backed by millions of people, almost no one is playing it. The FPS and space arena modes only ever have a handful of people playing (literally 3 - 4 people tops), and the MMO part is only maybe 10 people or so.

Uh, you did it wrong. You're supposed to be playing the store which is immersive as hell. If you let yourself you could almost believe you're actually buying things like at a real store.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sarsapariller posted:

The biggest in the actual game is the Hammerhead and that takes ~7 people, 1 pilot and 6 turret gunners.

I'm pretty clueless here, but i'm guessing the Hammerhead punches above its weight, and can also be crewed with just one person and the turrets still work without other players?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hav posted:

‘Savvy investor’ always takes me back to ‘Asterix and Obelix’. One of the best historically based European cartoons a boy could ever read. At least i think it’s that one. Ceaser sends a business consultant to wreck havoc in the Gaulish resistance.

Obelix and Co. is quite likely among the top 10 comics ever written and everybody should read it.

quite related to SC too.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 27, 2018

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Agony Aunt posted:

I'm pretty clueless here, but i'm guessing the Hammerhead punches above its weight, and can also be crewed with just one person and the turrets still work without other players?

I think they actually don't because lol at the future having things we have now like multiple weapons controls you could slave to a single master input

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
No, seriously, chariots, villas, slaves, big useless crap, I am pretty sure this is one of the marketing books they used for SC

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

There's no way that SC's anti griefer system will be more punishing than CONCORD and they don't really stop anyone griefing. Law and order systems just make for more creative griefing, not less of it.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Remember folks and those new here, the issue council had itself a bug where it counted backwards.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Colostomy Bag posted:

Remember folks and those new here, the issue council had itself a bug where it counted backwards.

Yeah but that was only for like the first year or two :v:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Thoatse posted:

Yeah but that was only for like the first year or two :v:

Hey, it was pre-alpha.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
YOUTUBE: Around the Verse - Aud Land Sign-Off

“May Old Commitments Be Forgot...”

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

thank you, kind goon :) so my view of CI-G still seems to fit. They are hosed.....and incompetent.......basically they are loving incompetent

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

trucutru posted:

Obelix and Co. is quite likely among the top 10 comics ever written and everybody should read it.

quite related to SC too.

ah yes...still remember this original goonvalor from the Crobelix poster fellow, whoever he was.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Agony Aunt posted:

Nope it costs 800 dollars and without people in the turrets it can't shoot at all. It's shields are completely impossible for a fighter to take down though. That's why I bought one- some day my elite crew will be king of the battlefield!

Don't worry though, Citizens are very sure that turret AI is right around the corner. Just.... not on the roadmap. It's fine! Buy more ships.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

How can it be a deal... unless you know what you are buying? If the price drops to 35 (and if it's a pledge?) and the final game is a POS that is worth 5 bucks, is it a deal? Just because it's cheaper than normal does not make it a deal.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

SomethingJones posted:

All they said was 'here's the roadmap and we took investment to market it'

But now what's going to happen over the next 12 months is that it will become abundantly crystal clear that SQ42 will have been started over from scratch - because the PU will continue to have gently caress all AI, a lovely flight model, lovely non working physics and completely broken collision detection, whilst SQ42 is ramping up to beta.

They can't build a commercial game in that hacked engine, so the only way SQ42 gets to beta is to split it off entirely from scratch.

That's what the new flight model is for, that's what they're hiring AI devs for, that's why they took on "proper devs" earlier this year and that's why they have a new guy heading up the Wilmslow office.

So backers will have to contend with the fact that SQ42 will be a few months out from beta whilst they are still fighting with a lovely non working engine (which will probably get a few new SQ42 assets pumped into it in the meantime)

Then they will suddenly realise they don't get their hands on it until it is released (Erin already said no public or private betas)

Then when it comes out and (mocap cutscenes aside) it feels, flies, moves and works better than the PU because it isn't built on a broken clusterfuck engine they might, they just might realise they've been conned all along.

SQ42 Prelude release is when backers realise they've been conned into funding a completely different game using a completely different engine, which is in fact a platform for Chris Roberts returning to Holywood with a merchandisable franchise.

The only thing they are doing with Squadron that's compatible with the PU is art, and even then it's a shitshow.

:five:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I would lol so hard of CIG gets bought and turned into a mobile gaming farm. Please let it happen.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:ughh:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

SomethingJones posted:

All they said was 'here's the roadmap and we took investment to market it'

But now what's going to happen over the next 12 months is that it will become abundantly crystal clear that SQ42 will have been started over from scratch - because the PU will continue to have gently caress all AI, a lovely flight model, lovely non working physics and completely broken collision detection, whilst SQ42 is ramping up to beta.

They can't build a commercial game in that hacked engine, so the only way SQ42 gets to beta is to split it off entirely from scratch.

That's what the new flight model is for, that's what they're hiring AI devs for, that's why they took on "proper devs" earlier this year and that's why they have a new guy heading up the Wilmslow office.

So backers will have to contend with the fact that SQ42 will be a few months out from beta whilst they are still fighting with a lovely non working engine (which will probably get a few new SQ42 assets pumped into it in the meantime)

Then they will suddenly realise they don't get their hands on it until it is released (Erin already said no public or private betas)

Then when it comes out and (mocap cutscenes aside) it feels, flies, moves and works better than the PU because it isn't built on a broken clusterfuck engine they might, they just might realise they've been conned all along.

SQ42 Prelude release is when backers realise they've been conned into funding a completely different game using a completely different engine, which is in fact a platform for Chris Roberts returning to Holywood with a merchandisable franchise.

The only thing they are doing with Squadron that's compatible with the PU is art, and even then it's a shitshow.

I called this in my January Blog

A wise, virile seer posted:

I wonder if the backers realize how much they're being bait-and-switched. Chris only ever wanted to make his loving lovely movie, and he was always willing to sacrifice every other module at that altar. Now they're near the end of their funds, all spent trying to build all of the modules like Star Marine, the PTU, and so on, but with Chris's time-proven stupidity and mismanagement turning all that cash, and all that work, into a fine mist of piss on a summer breeze.

So now here we are, with all of the remaining funds being poured into the shittiest single-player space game we're ever likely to see in our lifetimes. Why do people think they need more bug-testing on Arena Commander? Why the sudden laser-like focus on SQ42, when until now all the focus and all the fanfare was on the PU and Star Marine? Because with their remaining funds, Chris cannot complete SQ42 unless he diverts all resources to it. Every other module experiment is now a failure and a write-off. This is it - this is where the last of the money is going.

This is what Chris wanted to do, so he did it with the money given to him for another product, and another promise, entirely.

This was never about building a universe. It was about attempting to build a universe on the side, while fulfilling his personal desires as the main goal, front and center.

He could have chosen to scrap SQ42 and put all resources on the PU that all his backers want, but he didn't. Backers got a hangar so they could see their ships and fantasize about their upcoming experiences, they got Arena Commander so they could better imagine what they would be like in combat, and they got the PTU, a barely-functional glimpse of how it would all tie together. Chris Roberts was not able to deliver both that universe, that the backers voted for with their dollars, AND the single-player mo-cap travesty he's trying to poo poo out right now, before the funds started to dry up. So Chris Roberts had to make a choice.

Backers should never, ever forget that when the money got tight, and Chris had the tough choice on which part of the game to concentrate on, he chose himself. He chose to use backer money to build his personal pet project, and ignore the very project whose promise generated those funds in the first place.

It's only January, but I'm going to nominate Chris Roberts for the rear end in a top hat of the Year award. Good job commando - you've earned it.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Oh, and Chris, just a side note: you'll never work in Hollywood again, you goddamned troglodyte, no matter what SQ42 is like. You're not just black-listed, you're goddamned poo poo-listed. Kevin Spacey has burned fewer Hollywood bridges than you have, and has more future prospects than you. Oh, he's been in better games than you've made, too. So get used to being on the outside for all time. And after this poo poo hits the fan, it's going to get a whole lot colder.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I guess if I was on Reddit this is where I would go all :argh:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Wow, that Maht_Daymun character seems really upset about something. He's even more angry than :pgabz:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Step 1: kill/gank/grief other players
Step 2: get killed by guards
Step 3: repeat

:eng101:

Quavers fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 27, 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Quavers posted:

[url=https://old.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/a9zfr8/easy_way_to_remove_level_4_or_higher_crime_stat/][/img]

Step 1: kill/gank/grief other players
Step 2: get killed by guards
Step 3: repeat

:eng101:

Persistence baby.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

Sarsapariller posted:

Nope it costs 800 dollars and without people in the turrets it can't shoot at all. It's shields are completely impossible for a fighter to take down though. That's why I bought one- some day my elite crew will be king of the battlefield!

Don't worry though, Citizens are very sure that turret AI is right around the corner. Just.... not on the roadmap. It's fine! Buy more ships.

Sarsa buyin jpegs to own the libs

Sarsa ownin dem libs hard ITT

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

On his previous Windows installation. Posts since deleted

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

quite related to SC too.

In the end, the market crash is not only predictable, but quite the economics lesson for the eight year old.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
And it was on that day said citizen Firefly did question the greatness of thy roadmap
And there was much awkwardness, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth
But then, light came from the darkness
Lord Angel Shelley did come down from above and pontificate in thy mercy
Tho shall believe proclaimed Angel Shelley, and the bald one, and the bearded ones did dream
And Chris's greatness shall be restored, and jpegs shall be bought, and the Robertses shall be wealthy
Here endeth the lesson.
Amen

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/352920719?t=01h08m30s

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

If it weren't for the fact that Matt is a CHUD, I'd totally call poe's law

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

G0RF posted:

YOUTUBE: Around the Verse - Aud Land Sign-Off

“May Old Commitments Be Forgot...”

2m30s - Mark Abent: "Last year we had to basically revisit and remake, um, Star Citizen."

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 28, 2018

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Scruffpuff posted:

I called this in my January Blog

You've pretty much seen this all coming since Jan.

The flight model will be the kick in the teeth. It's not taking them until next year to build a rigid body physics flight model. It's taking them until next year to put it into the frankenfurter engine, which uses IFCS as the networking and everything goes through it up down left right and sideways and back up into itself and out the top and back up into itself again twice so yeah good luck with that Chris

Bonus
Some of you might have noticed that the SC client still doesn't detect hardware correctly, so the online performance and fps data is completely worthless and meaningless.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

SomethingJones posted:

Bonus
Some of you might have noticed that the SC client still doesn't detect hardware correctly, so the online performance and fps data is completely worthless and meaningless.

ftfy

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

:redflag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhallicPhalanges
Jun 9, 2015

Her navel is all time musky... Bt look at her face... Her face makes my ROD wakes
The Atlas thread in the MMO sub forum is good for lulz while this shitshow keeps on crawling along. If Atlas fans are any indication of how Star Citizen fans will react when the garbage heap becomes “released” it’s going to be hilarious