Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I mean you can also build with dimensional lumber if you're made out of money.

:homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Frank Dillinger posted:

The Russian 7.62x25 caliber pistols can fire German 7.63x25 Mauser ammo, but not the other way around (ww2 era) I’ve never heard of interchangeability between 7.62 nato and any other Russian calibers.

That's mainly because the caliber reflects only the diameter of the slug itself, and not the length or the sizing/chambering of the actual shell. More or less. Because naming standards on ammunition are far from standardized.
It's still stupid that you can fire .38 Special in a .357 Magnum (because they are both 0.357" in diameter)

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
My wood worker parents used to refer to "five quarter" wood slabs. I guess that's fewer syllables than saying one-and-a-quarter inch?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

My wood worker parents used to refer to "five quarter" wood slabs. I guess that's fewer syllables than saying one-and-a-quarter inch?

I think that refers to wood that is still rough-cut. Apparently it comes from the sawmill blades being incremented in 1/4 inch stops, so 5/4 is five clicks on the saw's width setting between boards. Milled to a constant dimension and smooth finish, it would be an even 1 inch.

People used a lot of rough-cut boards for siding at one point, so it was commonly understood.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Menards sells 5/4 boards in their fully-sanded “select” tier, so it’s not just a matter of unfinished. They’re handy for fancying-up door casings if you want more depth at the top.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Darchangel posted:

That's mainly because the caliber reflects only the diameter of the slug itself, and not the length or the sizing/chambering of the actual shell. More or less. Because naming standards on ammunition are far from standardized.
It's still stupid that you can fire .38 Special in a .357 Magnum (because they are both 0.357" in diameter)

If I recall correctly, you can also shot .45 cal ammo out of a .410 shotgun too.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yes precision and efficiency. The crap that is thrown out, one would be nuts to use it to make a tree house out of the crap.

If you take off less material you can get more out of a tree, but the boards are more warped (imprecise). If you take off more material the boards are more square, but they need to start out bigger (inefficient).

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Darchangel posted:

The .38 Special round was the template for the .357 Magnum, so it makes a whole lot of sense. The case was lengthened, but the rim and every other dimension stayed the same.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

wallaka posted:

The .38 Special round was the template for the .357 Magnum, so it makes a whole lot of sense. The case was lengthened, but the rim and every other dimension stayed the same.

Well, yes, but a .38 is 0.357". I understand that the .38 comes from the diameter of the casing, and therefore the chamber, but it illustrates the remarkable inconsistency of ammunition nomenclature. I expect a ".38" round to have a slug that's 0.38" or close to it, especially when a ".357" is 0.357", and a ".223" is 0.223", etc. I know it's a product of changing methods of identification and marketing, but it's just goofy.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

Where on earth are you seeing that frequently? K means thousand, not M.

Frequently in documents produced by the accounting departments of businesses, not that I'm in accounting.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Looks like we have too many conflicting standards. I'm going to create a new standard which will unify everything.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Cojawfee posted:

Looks like we have too many conflicting standards. I'm going to create a new standard which will unify everything.

turn left thread nooooooooo

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
loving fox news using '$100G' for 100000$

gently caress them.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

ArcMage posted:

gently caress them.

$100,000

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Let's not do the , and . debate.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

ArcMage posted:

gently caress them.

To be fair, most of their audience either can't count or won't remember the number 5 minutes later.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Zopotantor posted:

I was told in the army (Germany, 30+ years ago) that the Russians used 7.62 so that they could use NATO 7.62 rounds they picked up, but that their own rounds had some feature (changed grooves or similar) that made them unusable in our guns (G3, at the time). I have no idea if that was true, but I always thought it was stupid to let that happen.

Russian 7.62, outside of the aforementioned old 7.62x25 TT rounds, are either 7.62x39mm or x54mm (cartridge length), neither of which can chamber and use NATO 7.62x51. It's just another dumbass boot story like .50BMG exploding heads by flying nearby, aiming for the canteens, etc etc etc.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Colostomy Bag posted:

Let's not do the , and . debate.

there is no debate

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Darchangel posted:

Well, yes, but a .38 is 0.357". I understand that the .38 comes from the diameter of the casing, and therefore the chamber, but it illustrates the remarkable inconsistency of ammunition nomenclature. I expect a ".38" round to have a slug that's 0.38" or close to it, especially when a ".357" is 0.357", and a ".223" is 0.223", etc. I know it's a product of changing methods of identification and marketing, but it's just goofy.

Yeah, I guess it's because marketing departments of different companies named the things instead of some sort of standards and licensing board. It's not a standard, it's a brand. I guess we could go full NATO and call it a 9.1x33.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Darchangel posted:

Luckily we have saami

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

UCS Hellmaker posted:

That looks like wire cut right?
We do something a bit similar with iconel, just make these triangles to act as rotor spacers on a gear.

I wish it was. I finally talked the owner into sending it out to an EDM shop. Even then, it's still a 4 axis job.

The way I used to make it took 1 cnc mill op, and then two separate manual mills to do the under cut angle and the final parting off. I used a woodruff keycutter to undercut the part off of it's base. That also establishes it's final thickness. As best as I can tell, it's some kind of probe rest for an atomic force microscope. I'm just glad I don't have to make the drat things anymore.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Rad-daddio posted:

I wish it was. I finally talked the owner into sending it out to an EDM shop. Even then, it's still a 4 axis job.

The way I used to make it took 1 cnc mill op, and then two separate manual mills to do the under cut angle and the final parting off. I used a woodruff keycutter to undercut the part off of it's base. That also establishes it's final thickness. As best as I can tell, it's some kind of probe rest for an atomic force microscope. I'm just glad I don't have to make the drat things anymore.

You did this all on a mill? Jesus, yeah this is a simple 4 axis program you could do with a 1 cut to make the whole piece, it probably would be cheaper and less scrap hassle to do in a wire. At most I could do this in two ops in a wire with a half rear end setup, Likely you could make a whole run from one piece of material if you program and setup the job right in one of my machines. I'm happy you donlt make them on a mill anymore that sounds horrid

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb

cakesmith handyman posted:

Where on earth are you seeing that frequently? K means thousand, not M.

The Oil and Gas industry uses M for a thousand all the time.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
In marketing and advertising, M means thousand, too. Example, YouTube ad clicks. 100M equals 100,000.

Now that I think about it, I only see K meaning thousand in straight dollars/money, but M everywhere else.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Queen Combat posted:

In marketing and advertising, M means thousand, too. Example, YouTube ad clicks. 100M equals 100,000.

Now that I think about it, I only see K meaning thousand in straight dollars/money, but M everywhere else.

I don't think this is the case.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Queen Combat posted:

Is this some weird regional thing like the UK and their billions? I’ve never seen CPC advertising use M for thousand, at least on the small business side.

E: Although I would like to see someone spec a megawatt of power for a kilowatt of load that would be funny.

corgski fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 28, 2018

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Most of our customers use M for thousands and MM for millions.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I like how now I lived in my little world of what K and M meant, along with thousands, etc. and now I'm really loving confused.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

The mechanical failure is the English language.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

corgski posted:

We could always switch to esperanto.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
https://www.instagram.com/p/Br5yHt0Fboe/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=vehn2i57swnp

I’m on my phone or I’d try to gif this, but it’s worth watching, don’t worry, it’s short.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

corgski posted:

It is my worstest language.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

xzzy posted:

We could always switch to esperanto.

Esperanto is actually really great because everything is defaulted to male gender

There’s a whole thing on gender reform in Esperanto. Esperanto is a poo poo fest

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Which I find funny, as gendered nouns seems to be the hardest part of nailing a foreign language. So guy trying to come up with an easy to learn language introduces gendered nouns.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Gendered nouns are stupid as hell. How do you determine that a chair is male but a door is female?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

Gendered nouns are stupid as hell. How do you determine that a chair is male but a door is female?

Well most doors have a knob.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Darchangel posted:

Pipes and tubing for air/liquid are usually measured on the inside diameter, so the OD is all over the place depending on material.

Mostly. Pipe and hose are measured inside diameter, tubing is generally measured on the outside.

Hose has the ID printed on the OD because of, well, obvious reasons. Pipe will typically state the ID on the pipe but also the SCH or Schedule, which will tell you the OD as many pipe fittings also attach via the OD. So you might see something like "1.5" DIA SCH40" or something like that.

Tubing almost exclusively connect with fittings via the OD hence why OD is typically printed on the fittings themselves and on the tube if it can be (urethane/nylon/plastics in general) but metallic tubes can be a crapshoot and you generally need to measure them.

Biggest confusion is generally between when is something considered tubing vs a hose?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

By learning the language! :v:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

Agreed!

[
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46ehrFk-gLk
]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Thanks, harbor freight.