Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

Didn't someone link an article explaining what the concrete long-term consequences of markets turning into monopolies and duopolies are just a few pages ago? The washing machine one.

I just skimmed back and couldn't find this. Anyone got a link? I'm interested to read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I thought Amazon was 5% of retail in the US, not globally. I really doubt they have more global share than Walmart.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

KingFisher posted:

I trust Amazon.

lol.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

QuarkJets posted:

Competition is what provides abundant choices and low prices. That's why you should care. "Who cares if everyone else is slowly driven out of business so long as prices are low right now" is surely not what you mean to say, but it's what you're saying

I am unclear of what competition you'd like, if "amazon entering the market and selling things at lower prices" isn't it.

Do you mean you want competition but you don't want anyone to actually compete because if people compete and competition is just some magical essence that two companies existing creates or something? Because again, you can't possibly be worried about a monopoly situation on things like whisks and staplers that is amazon basics.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Cicero posted:

I thought Amazon was 5% of retail in the US, not globally. I really doubt they have more global share than Walmart.

Online retail is a big slice of the global retail market, so that wouldn't surprise me, no one comes close to Amazon in that.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Online retail is a big slice of the global retail market, so that wouldn't surprise me, no one comes close to Amazon in that.

Walmart is like three times bigger than Amazon

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Amazon Story Time:
My wife works for a transportation company and Amazon forced them into a sweet-heart deal where they basically get to take their trucks and leave them anywhere. She hates them, and for years we couldn't get Amazon Prime. Then the wedding came and she needed a picture frame in two days. She became an instant convert when it was free and now it's gone now. I should have used it more. That's the story.

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

QuarkJets posted:

I'm complaining about the abuses of capitalism, not celebrating them, you illiterate dumbfuck. Do you even know who that is?

No. The issue is practices that are anti-consumer in general, no one is talking about total monopolies and the fact that you and others need to keep returning to that dead horse tells me that you either don't have a good argument or you don't even comprehend what the concerns are

Demanding "competition" to trickle down hypothesis benefits is capitalism worship.

It is not anti consumer to have store brand and place this prominent. I refer again to the Aldi chains, I believe it is even popular in Americas now so you can visit one. They are very popular and almost every product is store brand.

My condolence on your apparent towel brand investment failing.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
"global retail" is not a market individual consumers select from.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Amazon can be a huge piece of poo poo but having lower priced commodity goods prominent on their store front is pretty low on the chain of things to worry about from them.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

We must bust the trusts

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Quark, I just wanted to say that I understand where you are coming from. I think that, while the problem raised isn't extreme right now, you are justifiably concerned about Amazon's position of power and how things can devolve quickly. The thing that people don't realise is that Amazon is no longer a part of the market - if they were, they would only sell Amazon-brand products - they are the market and are in a position of power that will, as is the nature of capitalism, be abused for their benefit to the detriment of everyone else, including their "partners".

I think that other people are either wilfully not engaging with your argument or, most likely, are responding in a "it's not currently causing me a problem, therefore why do you care?" in a narcissistic and short-sighted way. In brief, I sympathise. It's for that same reason that I stopped interacting with Zackack just a page or two ago. His only counterargument was essentially "Well, my wife's fine with it" while I was trying to speak broadly about a decline in benefits combined with a significant increase in price for a service offered by a ludicrously profitable company. Once he essentially insulted/chastised me for buying video games I realised that I was being patronised, which I don't appreciate and made me accept that further constructive debate was a waste.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I am unclear of what competition you'd like, if "amazon entering the market and selling things at lower prices" isn't it.

Do you mean you want competition but you don't want anyone to actually compete because if people compete and competition is just some magical essence that two companies existing creates or something? Because again, you can't possibly be worried about a monopoly situation on things like whisks and staplers that is amazon basics.

if you think that people are upset because Amazon is selling their own line of products then you aren't paying attention, I don't know how to circumvent that level of lazy skimming

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

nepetaMisekiryoiki posted:

Demanding "competition" to trickle down hypothesis benefits is capitalism worship.

You're just mashing together words at this point. Acknowledgement that a competitive commodity market reduces prices is not capitalism worship, it's an observation from the data; capitalism is what arises from that kind of observation. And throwing in "trickle down" in a discussion about commodities makes you look like an idiot

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

QuarkJets posted:

Acknowledgement that a competitive commodity market reduces prices is not capitalism worship, it's an observation from the data; capitalism is what arises from that kind of observation.

Well does it or doesn't it? Amazon basic is the new competitor, is it good or bad for consumers?

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
use the social security funds to buy amazon , now it's nationalized and the social safety net is automatically funded via prime membership. pass a law to adjust the prime membership cost for inflation and make it also automatically register you to vote

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Hand Row posted:

Walmart is like three times bigger than Amazon

Yes, but not in the online retail market, where it has like 4% of the market vs. Amazon's 50%. Which is what I said in my post. No one comes close to Amazon in the online retail market.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Well does it or doesn't it? Amazon basic is the new competitor, is it good or bad for consumers?

it is bad for consumers because it is against consumers interest to have a single billionaire-owned panopticon jacking itself off via the rules of capitalism, and amazon basic as a loss-leader with automatic primary placement in the store is something that currently existing regulations and politicians are absolutely 0% equipped to address. but yes you can get cheap phone chargers and towels and poo poo it's dope

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
I apologize for the lack of capital letters in my previous posts. Forgive me, this is one of a few non-CSPAM bookmarked threads I have. Please imagine there are the appropriate punctuation above, thank you.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

If you're going to pretend that all Amazon is doing is offering fairly-priced products on the marketplace then I guess everything is fine! We'll all just shove our head in the sand and pretend that Amazon isn't doing anything but that

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

JustJeff88 posted:

Quark, I just wanted to say that I understand where you are coming from. I think that, while the problem raised isn't extreme right now, you are justifiably concerned about Amazon's position of power and how things can devolve quickly. The thing that people don't realise is that Amazon is no longer a part of the market - if they were, they would only sell Amazon-brand products - they are the market and are in a position of power that will, as is the nature of capitalism, be abused for their benefit to the detriment of everyone else, including their "partners".

I think that other people are either wilfully not engaging with your argument or, most likely, are responding in a "it's not currently causing me a problem, therefore why do you care?" in a narcissistic and short-sighted way. In brief, I sympathise. It's for that same reason that I stopped interacting with Zackack just a page or two ago. His only counterargument was essentially "Well, my wife's fine with it" while I was trying to speak broadly about a decline in benefits combined with a significant increase in price for a service offered by a ludicrously profitable company. Once he essentially insulted/chastised me for buying video games I realised that I was being patronised, which I don't appreciate and made me accept that further constructive debate was a waste.
The point which you continue to miss is that my wife isn't "fine with it", she actually observed a high monthly value increase in services that corresponded with a minor cost increase (an extra $2 month isn't breaking her bank). That's what makes using Prime as an example a bad idea - it's a morphing service that can wildly benefit different groups. That you were complaining about a <$2/mo increase at the same time you lost the ability to save maybe $10 on something that you could probably save $20+ if you wait a few months to buy is what made it funny to me, a person who buys way too many video games, but who also somehow has the ability to just wait 1-6 months for a price reduction. And somehow I don't think you'd be complaining if Prime had gone the opposite direction and given you %50 off preorders but canceled the free music and video services instead.

No, instead you decided to stamp your feet and get pouty while making tangential complaints about Amazon, instead of doing the smart thing and admitting that your example was poor and finding a much better one. Here, I'll even do it for you using video games: Amazon used to be very competitive on video game pricing (AmazonTony days) but over the years as competition has dwindled and customers became entrenched into defaulting to Amazon for shopping it's obvious that Amazon now only feels the need to, at best, match the price of a competitor instead of competing for my business.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

QuarkJets posted:

If you're going to pretend that all Amazon is doing is offering fairly-priced products on the marketplace then I guess everything is fine! We'll all just shove our head in the sand and pretend that Amazon isn't doing anything but that

Is the idea that we should put our heads in the sand and pretend whoever the billion dollar company that is the current leader in towel sales (walmart probably) is some sainted angel that keeps the prices low to be nice and it's only now that amazon is around that the idea of capitalism was invented? Having more big companies competing seems as good as anything could be and worrying that someday one might win a monopoly is as true as worrying no one will compete and one will win a monopoly. Right now the big companies competing is better than that not happening.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
IDK, the main effect of generic brands is tanking the profit margins of poorly-differentiated commodity products, which can be avoided by... innovating better-differentiated products.

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

QuarkJets posted:

You're just mashing together words at this point. Acknowledgement that a competitive commodity market reduces prices is not capitalism worship, it's an observation from the data; capitalism is what arises from that kind of observation. And throwing in "trickle down" in a discussion about commodities makes you look like an idiot

So you worship capitalism when it suits you, but it is not to be mentioned. So typical.

Store making its house brand is part of competition. It is expected, and often a store is to preferentially place its house brand. Some store even are primarily house brand. You not once explain why this bad when Amazon do it.

You just say well they will try to take over - so does every other towel company try to take over. So does every company try , that is supposed competition us poor should thank our gracious second place towel seller for, it is to laugh.

JustJeff88 posted:

You are not aware Prime adds in much other products over the years? You can just not purchase it. I do not have it, much of its streaming offerings are different and worse here than in America and the shipping advantage is not great. It is only €49 a year here as partial compensation.

I do not even understand the whole complaint, Amazon price for service should never change if services change??

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is the idea that we should put our heads in the sand and pretend whoever the billion dollar company that is the current leader in towel sales (walmart probably) is some sainted angel that keeps the prices low to be nice and it's only now that amazon is around that the idea of capitalism was invented? Having more big companies competing seems as good as anything could be and worrying that someday one might win a monopoly is as true as worrying no one will compete and one will win a monopoly. Right now the big companies competing is better than that not happening.

No one has ever complained about Walmart before

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

If your analysis stops at "what makes prices lowest" then go away.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

nepetaMisekiryoiki posted:

So you worship capitalism when it suits you, but it is not to be mentioned. So typical.

Again you are showing that you are too soft-brained to differentiate between worship and observation

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

QuarkJets posted:

Again you are showing that you are too soft-brained to differentiate between worship and observation

I would like to amend an earlier post: Under no circumstances do you "have to acknowledge the existence of" reality.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Yes, but not in the online retail market, where it has like 4% of the market vs. Amazon's 50%. Which is what I said in my post. No one comes close to Amazon in the online retail market.

And you were using that point to say that’s how you could believe Amazon is 5% vs Walmart’s 2. But it’s not even close to true because ecom is nowhere near that large in sales yet.

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

QuarkJets posted:

But what you say you observe, it does not occur. The only reason to believe it does is worship of capitalism.

Will you ever address the long standing use of house brands for commodity product in real stores?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

QuarkJets posted:

No one has ever complained about Walmart before

They are the competition a company like amazon has

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Zachack posted:

The point which you continue to miss is that my wife isn't "fine with it", she actually observed a high monthly value increase in services that corresponded with a minor cost increase (an extra $2 month isn't breaking her bank). That's what makes using Prime as an example a bad idea - it's a morphing service that can wildly benefit different groups. That you were complaining about a <$2/mo increase at the same time you lost the ability to save maybe $10 on something that you could probably save $20+ if you wait a few months to buy is what made it funny to me, a person who buys way too many video games, but who also somehow has the ability to just wait 1-6 months for a price reduction. And somehow I don't think you'd be complaining if Prime had gone the opposite direction and given you %50 off preorders but canceled the free music and video services instead.

Amazon has been increasing the prime membership cost at an annualized rate of 10% and for many users the services they use have remained the same or gotten worse. You claim that your wife observed an increase of services offered thus making her elated (or which adjective would you prefer since apparently "fine with it" wasn't good enough) about what she perceived to be as a marginal price increase. What services did they add to increase the value for your wife? Or how have they expanded services (that your wife enjoys or whatever other adjective you prefer) they currently offered to justify the cost increase

Zachack posted:

No, instead you decided to stamp your feet and get pouty while making tangential complaints about Amazon, instead of doing the smart thing and admitting that your example was poor and finding a much better one. Here, I'll even do it for you using video games: Amazon used to be very competitive on video game pricing (AmazonTony days) but over the years as competition has dwindled and customers became entrenched into defaulting to Amazon for shopping it's obvious that Amazon now only feels the need to, at best, match the price of a competitor instead of competing for my business.

It's actually a really good example because as they stated, some people will see value in the price increase, while others won't. And in fact, it does seem like they're making the prime benefits as it relates to buying and shipping goods worse but trying to make up for it by having so much bundled that it becomes hard to determine the value. I might have missed the new services they've added but as far as I can tell all of their offerings have been offered for quite a while now and they haven't added anything additional to them. It seems like at best the price increase is keeping things the same...and at 10% annualized increases that means they were either underpricing the service prior and are trying to make up for it now that they have market share or since they have the market share they feel emboldened to generate extra profit from it. And it's all well and good to find the current pricing still worth the money for the services used, it just didn't actually go towards improving the services.

It reminds me a bit of when Netflix last increased their prices and they justified it based on them needing more money to keep offering the same great movies that we all enjoy. Their examples of such content was "The Little Rascals" and "Tin Tin". Ahh yes, I'm really seeing the value there. They have of course since removed tin tin from their line up (not that I ever cared, but I thought my money was supposed to be going towards great flicks such as that!?) and numerous other tv shows and such while adding dubious content. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would say that the price increase was fine and they still see the value in the subscription. But the reality is that they're now charging more for the same or less; and maybe it is a financial reality they have to realize to keep the doors open, and as a consumer we should care to a certain degree about sustainability, but we really shouldn't expect price increases to correspond to value increases.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Amazon and wallmarts clients are not nearly the same. The former attempts to turn the localized area into SNAP recipients and kill local competition so they're the only player for food fir guaranteed snap revenue.

Amazon relies on people who think they're too rich for wall Mart.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Raldikuk posted:

It reminds me a bit of when Netflix last increased their prices and they justified it based on them needing more money to keep offering the same great movies that we all enjoy. Their examples of such content was "The Little Rascals" and "Tin Tin". Ahh yes, I'm really seeing the value there. They have of course since removed tin tin from their line up (not that I ever cared, but I thought my money was supposed to be going towards great flicks such as that!?) and numerous other tv shows and such while adding dubious content.

Then cancel netflix? Like I get it being sad if services get bad or go up in price but I don't get how it's "a problem" if they do. I like netflix being good and hate it being bad, but like, nothing particular holds anyone if their service ever is not giving value. If someday they are too expensive or not very good that seems more unfortunate than immoral or illegal or a problem or anything like that. I've subscribed to then later canceled all sorts of things as they do then don't provide a thing I want, netflix doesn't even make you commit to multiple months at time or have any onerous process to cancel or anything.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
For what it’s worth I had asked some people who handle Amazon at my company about it. They said they believe the story that Prime customers are placing more orders than ever as the main reason for the increase and we can see it in our own data.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
So when do we find out how bad the Christmas bloodbath was for malls and department stores

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Then cancel netflix? Like I get it being sad if services get bad or go up in price but I don't get how it's "a problem" if they do. I like netflix being good and hate it being bad, but like, nothing particular holds anyone if their service ever is not giving value. If someday they are too expensive or not very good that seems more unfortunate than immoral or illegal or a problem or anything like that. I've subscribed to then later canceled all sorts of things as they do then don't provide a thing I want, netflix doesn't even make you commit to multiple months at time or have any onerous process to cancel or anything.

Can you run me through your thought process of why you thought this was a good post? Because I said nothing about the ability to cancel (or if I had or not!) services. My post was about if price increases are leading to the service improving or not. Obviously one can cancel netflix (or any other service) they don't find value in it; regardless of how the price has changed. Did you know that even if they lowered the monthly price and I didn't find value in it I could cancel? Amazing stuff, right?

Anyway, with the actual point highlighted for you, would you like to take another stab at it?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
It's not that you can definitively point to the price increase immediately improving the service overnight, it's that they're steadily spending more year by year, which may necessitate raising the price at some point. All that original content Netflix is making isn't cheap.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Inflation happens most years too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Raldikuk posted:

Can you run me through your thought process of why you thought this was a good post? Because I said nothing about the ability to cancel (or if I had or not!) services. My post was about if price increases are leading to the service improving or not. Obviously one can cancel netflix (or any other service) they don't find value in it; regardless of how the price has changed. Did you know that even if they lowered the monthly price and I didn't find value in it I could cancel? Amazing stuff, right?

Like, it sucks if a good service gets to be a bad value or something but it's not capital P problematic. If amazon prime at some point in the future becomes a really bad value it's also super optional and easy to get out of. You got a lot of consumer power on it. If netflix raises their price a ton and gets bad movies that is sad to see it go, but it's not really a hard situation or anything. It's not like health insurance or something where you invariable have to pay it no matter how high it goes. Amazon prime or netflix or something have no good leverage over you having to pay if they raise the price or lower the service past what you find acceptable.