Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
It was pretty clear that Blizz expected hots to be way more popular than it was when it came out for no reason other than it was a Blizz game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Yep. Honestly, the success of WoW was probably the worst thing to happen to Blizzard overall. It really seemed to inflate a lot of egos over there and seems to have lead to a parade of bad decisions. They even sorta admitted it when talking about the failure of Titan to launch, since they basically said they never considered that they wouldn't finish it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i don't know if i can totally blame them. the shooter they made out of the remnants of their terrible idea mmo exploded and diablo 3 was terrible and still sold more than the first two games combined.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
It's weird how people frequently say that launch Diablo 3 was terrible, but when it was new everyone was super hype about it and it obviously sold really well.
I get that the game it ended up becoming is probably a lot better and provides a frame of reference that highlights its flaws, but it's hardly the first game in the genre and some of its issues should've been apparent in comparison to begin with.

Was it just some of the post-launch support that soured everyone on it?
Some colleagues of mine convinced me to buy it back in the day, but despite being that much of a sucker I never really gave it a fair chance and ended up hating everything about it. Even still, I only ever heard positive things about it and just figured I was being a grumpy Diablo 2 true believer.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Nah, everyone did buy it because of all the hype and everything, but people hated it from like day 3 or so when they realized that endgame was the the auction house, among other issues. Everyone had already bought it by then though.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The launch was bad because the game flat out was unplayable for a bit, due to server issues. Combined with the sour taste left by the real money auction house, and the weird item generation that came along with it, the game's earliest period had massive issues. Hype and sales are meaningless because hype comes before a game launches and the sales were entirely from that hype and being the first Diablo game in more than a decade. For as well as it sold, apparently those sales didn't transfer over to Reaper of Souls, because Activision/Blizzard themselves ended up cancelling the second planned expansion in favor of working on a sequel due to them internally being disappointed in D3.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

A number of drops you got were actually unusable because you were expected to sell them on the RMAH and buy gear you could use.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

And now it’s the exact opposite where you drown in legendaries.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

And then they ended up having to add two additional prefix levels to legendaries, to make the best ones actually be rare.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Zwiebel posted:

It's weird how people frequently say that launch Diablo 3 was terrible, but when it was new everyone was super hype about it and it obviously sold really well.

I remember people being turned off by it right away, first because of the login problems and then because of the story, loot, auction house, and difficulty jumps. Reminiscing about how bad vanilla D3 was is people's favorite thing to do.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zwiebel posted:

I get that the game it ended up becoming is probably a lot better and provides a frame of reference that highlights its flaws, but it's hardly the first game in the genre and some of its issues should've been apparent in comparison to begin with.

Was it just some of the post-launch support that soured everyone on it?
Some colleagues of mine convinced me to buy it back in the day, but despite being that much of a sucker I never really gave it a fair chance and ended up hating everything about it. Even still, I only ever heard positive things about it and just figured I was being a grumpy Diablo 2 true believer.

it was bad. the story, the storytelling, the classes, the skills, the itemization.

the diablo bitching thread ruled and a mod dumbly closed it because he misunderstood a post in it.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I weirdly got diablo 3 on the Black Friday sale because of the classes in HOTS.
I’m having a fun enough time but i also paid waaay less than it was at launch.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I never bothered with the AH and never care enough to min/max poo poo in virtually any game, so after the error stuff got sorted I liked D3 fine at the start and then RoS was great, but Blizz sucks rear end and was ~disappointed~ so meh.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

I played a witch doctor, and the class was so mana-starved that players endlessly spammed darts. I still have residual dread from the sound effect.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I played a Demon Hunter and it was really fun. I grew to dislike being instantly killed by elites. Felt like the only real way to mitigate damage was to instantly obliterate enemies or you’d be killed by like the 90000 mortars the enemy fired at you on sight. Also RMAH what the gently caress?

I’m disappointed that HOTS is getting less attention now, it is a really fun game. I mean it’s not HOTS fault that the people I play with are hell bad at the game. MOBAs are pretty inscrutable. The matchmaking is pretty garbage but also at least partly garbage because of low player count

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Diablo 3 was ok and it's the only game my friends played for a long time. However every season is basically identical and having to relevel to 70 and get the cube each time feels really half baked. Additionally the only real way to play is just get the sets and them explode every enemy that is functionally the same since they either die immediately or kill you.

I knew a dude that made a ton of money on the auction house so he personally really loved it before quitting a month after it was removed. So that was one fan at least.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I always liked how people complained that D3's drop rates were abysmally low and you got things for other classes and the endgame was balanced on buying things from the gold AH

Then they turn around and recommended Path of Exile where useful drops are even rarer, you need a mod to actually filter out the chaff because there's so much poo poo for other classes and level 1 characters, and the endgame is balanced around buying things from poe.trade

(i like both games alot)

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
https://old.reddit.com/r/heroesofthestorm/comments/a9q6fi/new_player_here_is_this_game_really_so_dead/

The way everyone assumes the op is a plant or something gave me a laugh.

Groovelord Neato posted:

it was bad. the story, the storytelling, the classes, the skills, the itemization.

the diablo bitching thread ruled and a mod dumbly closed it because he misunderstood a post in it.

Really? I wondered about that, what happened?

Radish posted:

Diablo 3 was ok and it's the only game my friends played for a long time. However every season is basically identical and having to relevel to 70 and get the cube each time feels really half baked. Additionally the only real way to play is just get the sets and them explode every enemy that is functionally the same since they either die immediately or kill you.

I knew a dude that made a ton of money on the auction house so he personally really loved it before quitting a month after it was removed. So that was one fan at least.

I paid for d3 + a year of wow from the rmah so it was alright.

The game itself didn't engage me, though.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 27, 2018

Bishopvi
Nov 12, 2003

And then he gives me a smile that just seems so genuinely sweet with just the right touch of shyness that unexpected warmth rushes through me.
Diablo 3 took the love a developer had created with a previous entry, claimed it would be an even greater smashing and exploding time and proceeded to demolish any fun the game provided. The loot tables were at broken because of the emphasis on the rmah that PC players were envious of loot 2.0 being released on console before PC.

I mean I am far from a min-maxer but it was a spike in difficulty in each new act that required me to go and grab gear from the rmah (I never used real money of course) just so my character could survive. Legendaries never dropped, I got 1 set pieces, for a class I didn't even have a character in no less! It took the game away and installed the worst treadmill I have ever encountered.

This was changed with Reaper. Reaper was, and still is, fun. They adjusted drop rates, added seasons to encourage sets and synergies, and made players feel strong. This meant no need for rmah and thank goodness. The game really is a tale of two Diablos as a result. I love d3 now. I would have never touched it again once beaten if Reaper had not come along.

With that all said, and to bring it back to the thread topic, I am sorry to see hots get treated the way it is. I agree that the timing is the biggest problem. A close second, in my book, is the cost of everything. It is unfortunate that they couldn't fix this game to bring in more players and money.

Bishopvi fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 27, 2018

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Since the announcement it feels like the playerbase abandoned hots. I've had the worst games I've ever played with the worst teammates. Every game has become a 100% stomp one side or the other with no good close games. Even the wins just don't feel good.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah I played 4 games where 3 were stomps one way or the other. Also I guess they rolled back the QM changes because 3 of my games either didn't have a tank or healer. One had a Varian, who of course, being the only warrior/tank on the team, went Twin Blades and proceeded to die the most and then complain.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah I played 4 games where 3 were stomps one way or the other. Also I guess they rolled back the QM changes because 3 of my games either didn't have a tank or healer. One had a Varian, who of course, being the only warrior/tank on the team, went Twin Blades and proceeded to die the most and then complain.

Yep, quick match is instant grab bag of what the gently caress ever is in the queue. The rules seem even more relaxed than they were a few patches ago.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I felt really bad after the announcement and took a break but then I came back and since then my games have all seemed fine, tbh. Some wins, some losses, some close games, some one sided. I’m really not noticing a strong bias one way or the other.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
All I know is as soon as they rolled back the QM changes my win rate went up to like 75%. I cleared 5 straight board game quests in 5 games because I MVPed all of them.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I uninstalled

take THAT bli$$ard!!

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I uninstalled as well because the announcement made me sad mad.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

Even the thread seems different.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Elysium posted:

All I know is as soon as they rolled back the QM changes my win rate went up to like 75%. I cleared 5 straight board game quests in 5 games because I MVPed all of them.

Did they keep the changes to structure EXP and only roll back the matchmaking changes? I thought the intent of the EXP changes was to "stop" snowball poo poo stomp games. What's the point if the lovely matchmaking still makes that happen, just over 25 minutes instead of 12?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

They did, and it doesn't really prevent stomps, but I guess it does keep the levels closer and makes it potentially easier to come back. But if you are truly getting stomped, the levels being close won't likely mean much. Sure you might only be a level behind now, but they still took all of your buildings vs 0 of theirs lost.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
There's a fine balance between "game's over at 10 minutes, no reason to keep playing lol" and "the game ended 10 minutes ago! why do we have to keep playing?!"

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Man on top of queue times being hosed I've had a run of toxic rear end games.

Worst was I had an Illidan flame the rest of our team for dying over the vision shrine in BHB and when I told him he was a capitalist and so his heart lacked courage he stayed in fountain and called me a human being for the rest of the game.

I think at this point plat league is way less toxic than plat hots.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Well I know what I’m doing next time we have a cry baby in chat.

Team Ranked seems to be going strong. It’s mostly popped in 1-2 minutes for me and for the most part people are nice.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Camel Camus posted:

Man on top of queue times being hosed I've had a run of toxic rear end games.

Worst was I had an Illidan flame the rest of our team for dying over the vision shrine in BHB and when I told him he was a capitalist and so his heart lacked courage he stayed in fountain and called me a human being for the rest of the game.

I think at this point plat league is way less toxic than plat hots.

Why am I not surprised?

Tbh, I'd be willing to bet that removing Illidan and Nova alone would probably cure about a third of the toxicity in this game. Twin Blades Varian, Genji, and Butcher for another third. I pretty much assume a bad game is coming when I see Illidan or Butcher at this point for sure.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I once was in a Unranked draft where the last three (3!) people had highlighted Nova.

The draft captain then banned Nova.

I didn't stop laughing during that 7 minute stomp as the other 4 people just flamed each other the entire time.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You know they gave up on the game when they were taking recommendations from Reddit.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Nybble posted:

I once was in a Unranked draft where the last three (3!) people had highlighted Nova.

The draft captain then banned Nova.

Its nice to see that even this dying game still has heroes among men

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Mierenneuker posted:

You know they gave up on the game when they were taking recommendations from Reddit.
Can't wait to read how people are disappointed with the hero because he's not a tank assassin bruiser.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

No Wave posted:

Can't wait to read how people are disappointed with the hero because he's not a tank assassin bruiser.

Reddit must love Malganis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Kith posted:

its imperius

THE PROPHECY

Kith fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 28, 2018