Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

SwissCM posted:

What I want is a mobile 2c/4t Ryzen with as many Vega cores as possible crammed in alongside it for mobile gaming, something that could fit into a 3DS/GPDWin like formfactor.

I have no sources whatever but I think 4c/4t is the smallest CPU you will see in the Zen2 lineup. Perhaps they will roll out the Athlon or whatever old name for smaller parts. That said, compared to the size of a GPU, 4c/4t 7nm Zen CPUs will be tiny. I also have no idea if they could make Zen or Vega/Navi that efficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Bring back the Thunderbird but name it Phoenix

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Wrong thread.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

ratbert90 posted:

Bring back the Thunderbird but name it Phoenix

They already did, just :china:

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I don't know much about CPU architectures and whatnot. I'm looking at Ryzen for my next build but I'm just curious, why is there such a pronounced IPC difference between AMD and Intel CPUs? Is it just clockspeed basically?

Also if I buy an AM4 platform now, will it actually be just drop in replacement later? Or will it need firmware updates from the motherboard manufacturers?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

The Gunslinger posted:

I don't know much about CPU architectures and whatnot. I'm looking at Ryzen for my next build but I'm just curious, why is there such a pronounced IPC difference between AMD and Intel CPUs? Is it just clockspeed basically?

Also if I buy an AM4 platform now, will it actually be just drop in replacement later? Or will it need firmware updates from the motherboard manufacturers?

IPC from what i know is just how much info you can do per hz/clockspeed and intel is going increasingly wide so they can have better IPC for their clock speed as they can't win the core wars.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Gunslinger posted:

I don't know much about CPU architectures and whatnot. I'm looking at Ryzen for my next build but I'm just curious, why is there such a pronounced IPC difference between AMD and Intel CPUs?

AMD essentially sat and did nothing of value towards improving their CPUs for a good 6 or 7 years, if anything their performance regressed slightly. Then they finally came out with CPUs that were big improvements on what they had back in 2010, but they still haven't had enough time with competency to catch up to Intel all the way.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Also, Intel Quicksync is a monster when optimized for it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

wargames posted:

IPC from what i know is just how much info you can do per hz/clockspeed and intel is going increasingly wide so they can have better IPC for their clock speed as they can't win the core wars.

Ah yes, longer and deeper pipelines per clock cycle, where have I heard this before...

/s

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Ah yes, longer and deeper pipelines per clock cycle, where have I heard this before...

/s

I remember those days of the inferno of heat coming out of the Pentium 4 and CRT monitor. So much heat for a 2.4 GHz single cpu with hyperthreading. The temperature in the office was intolerable back then.

I'm waiting to see how Zen 2 compares with the new intel cpus. Especially given that intel seems to be secretly adding an extra AVX pipeline to some of their cpus.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
AVX (especially the 512bit version) isn't used all that much though still and probably will never be. Developers just don't seem to be as interesting in pushing it into software everywhere as they were with SSE2 for instance. 256bit AVX does seem to be getting some more use but its still being slow rolled unfortunately quite a bit. Unless you've got something specifically that uses it then it doesn't seem to be all that much to be excited about right now as far as CPU features go.

Something like increasing the L1 by 50%+ would matter far more for instance. Brings back memories of the first Intel MMX CPU's.

The Gunslinger posted:

why is there such a pronounced IPC difference between AMD and Intel CPUs? Is it just clockspeed basically?
These days there isn't much of a difference. Its in the mid to low single digit percent range for IPC. Intel has a big enough clockspeed advantage, when overclocked to say around 5Ghz, that its still worth buying to some.

Now vs the Bulldozer derivatives there was a big difference, but that was because AMD hosed up. It takes years to design a new CPU so there wasn't much they could do about it for a long time.

The Gunslinger posted:

Or will it need firmware updates from the motherboard manufacturers?
You'll need BIOS updates from the mobo OEM yes. Otherwise should work. So far they seem to be doing a good job of supporting newer CPU's FWIW.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

SwissCM posted:

What I want is a mobile 2c/4t Ryzen with as many Vega cores as possible crammed in alongside it for mobile gaming, something that could fit into a 3DS/GPDWin like formfactor.

I, too, want computers that aren't physically possible.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

AVX (especially the 512bit version) isn't used all that much though still and probably will never be. Developers just don't seem to be as interesting in pushing it into software everywhere as they were with SSE2 for instance. 256bit AVX does seem to be getting some more use but its still being slow rolled unfortunately quite a bit. Unless you've got something specifically that uses it then it doesn't seem to be all that much to be excited about right now as far as CPU features go.

Something like increasing the L1 by 50%+ would matter far more for instance. Brings back memories of the first Intel MMX CPU's.

These days there isn't much of a difference. Its in the mid to low single digit percent range for IPC. Intel has a big enough clockspeed advantage, when overclocked to say around 5Ghz, that its still worth buying to some.

I do have some software that uses AVX/AVX2 and might be able to compile for AVX-512. With Zen 2 doubling the pipeline for AVX2 buying intel doesn't provide much difference now. AMD having Zen 2 with a higher core count with high clock speeds is likely to win me over for my next workstation purchase. Just waiting to see what the official announcement is.

Bloody Antlers
Mar 27, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wonder how feasible it would be to move most AVX units to some kind of math co-processor socket. Ideally there would be some units on package for the average user, but if you have workloads that lean hard on AVX, you could trade a little bit of latency for not having the central processor thermal throttle.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Bloody Antlers posted:

I wonder how feasible it would be to move most AVX units to some kind of math co-processor socket. Ideally there would be some units on package for the average user, but if you have workloads that lean hard on AVX, you could trade a little bit of latency for not having the central processor thermal throttle.

I want to see this just because it would be so 1988.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Devian666 posted:

I do have some software that uses AVX/AVX2
Ah fair enough.

Bloody Antlers posted:

I wonder how feasible it would be to move most AVX units to some kind of math co-processor socket.
Probably a real bad idea.

Latency would be too high to be practical for most things and at that point something like a FPGA or doing it on the GPU starts to look more interesting anyways. Putting a bunch of AVX FPU's on a separate die on the same package or in the interposer might be more practical. Dunno if anyone would buy it though. Look at how well Knights Landing did in the market place for instance. Seemed to be mostly a flop despite the hype.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Bloody Antlers posted:

This is a dsp or Gpu basically and would suffer from the same issues

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Yeah if it were done it would probably be in the context of something like this where it could be a chiplet added onto a package with cores, I/O, GPU, FPGA, etc as part of a heterogeneous design.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Ah fair enough.

Probably a real bad idea.

Latency would be too high to be practical for most things and at that point something like a FPGA or doing it on the GPU starts to look more interesting anyways. Putting a bunch of AVX FPU's on a separate die on the same package or in the interposer might be more practical. Dunno if anyone would buy it though. Look at how well Knights Landing did in the market place for instance. Seemed to be mostly a flop despite the hype.

AVX has to be super duper close to the memory system, specifically the L2/L3 caches for it to work well. AVX has a shitload of throughput, and requires equally impressive memory speeds to feed it. If you're gonna make something that's super good at AVX, it's gotta have a crapton of memory bandwidth, which isn't something you get off-package without a pretty hefty penalty.

I could kinda see a dedicated AVX co-proc hung off the PCI-e 4 bus, but not really outside of a dedicated compute card, and I can't think of something that's so AVX heavy you'd want to use it over a general purpose GPU and associated frameworks and compilers. More likely I could see a FPGA card or a security co-proc, something that'll let Facebook's gateway servers handle more of the increasingly expensive HTTPS handshakes for less electricity.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Bloody Antlers posted:

Hello friend I would like to introduce you to something called a graphics processing unit

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The SoC in the GPD Win 2 (a Core M3) can be pushed to 15w TDP and though it runs pretty hot and noisy pushed that hard, GPD are fairly amateurish and the cooling solution could likely be done better. The Ryzen 3 2200U is 15w but what I'd rather is to sacrifice CPU frequency and core count for more Vega cores.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I too, want computers that aren't physically possible, but am under no illusions that we might not get there this generation or the next, but might the generation after. It's kind of how progress works.

edit: SPEAKING OF.

quote:

Researchers from MIT and the University of Colorado have fabricated a 3-D transistor that’s less than half the size of today’s smallest commercial models. To do so, they developed a novel microfabrication technique that modifies semiconductor material atom by atom.

[...]

As described in a paper presented at this week’s IEEE International Electron Devices Meeting, the researchers modified a recently invented chemical-etching technique, called thermal atomic level etching (thermal ALE), to enable precision modification of semiconductor materials at the atomic level. Using that technique, the researchers fabricated 3-D transistors that are as narrow as 2.5 nanometers(!!!!!) and more efficient than their commercial counterparts.

http://news.mit.edu/2018/smallest-3-d-transistor-1207

The paper notes that this is NOT silicon, mind. This was done using InGaAs.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Dec 19, 2018

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

SwissCM posted:

The SoC in the GPD Win 2 (a Core M3) can be pushed to 15w TDP and though it runs pretty hot and noisy pushed that hard, GPD are fairly amateurish and the cooling solution could likely be done better. The Ryzen 3 2200U is 15w but what I'd rather is to sacrifice CPU frequency and core count for more Vega cores.

The whole Ryzen mobile stack can be configured for 15w tdp.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Arzachel posted:

The whole Ryzen mobile stack can be configured for 15w tdp.

In my theoretical magic computer I'd rather sacrifice cores for more frequency. Also a freesync display. Under $1000.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Kazinsal posted:

Hello friend I would like to introduce you to something called a graphics processing unit

More like a Xeon Phi which had its uses but was not what I'd call an unmitigated success. It was a lot easier to code for than a GPU, though.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
My gut feel says that even in single core bound tasks the difference should be negligible if turbo works properly and everything that uses 3+ cores would run much better.

I built a 2200g desktop for my dad, might test it and see if I'm wrong :v:

Yudo
May 15, 2003

The Tegra X1 (arm + maxwell) has a TDP of 15w but likely uses less in many cases. As mentioned above, the entire mobile stack from AMD can be configured for 15w, though I have a hard time believing it does not drink deeper from the VRM given how dangerous these laptops are for one's reproductive health. Maybe it is possible, but at the moment a 20nm chip (fabed on a mobile focused process) from 2015 that likely costs way less seems more efficient for a mobile game do-dad than AMD's products that have their roots in all profitable data center designs.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
I replaced my 1700 and Asrock AB350 Pro4 with a 2700 and an MSI B450M Mortar. I've managed to overclock the CPU to 4GHz and my 32GB of 2666MHz memory is running at 2933MHz.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Measly Twerp posted:

I replaced my 1700 and Asrock AB350 Pro4 with a 2700 and an MSI B450M Mortar. I've managed to overclock the CPU to 4GHz and my 32GB of 2666MHz memory is running at 2933MHz.

Is this without fiddling with voltage?

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

EmpyreanFlux posted:

Is this without fiddling with voltage?

By selecting a preset provided by the MSI BIOS I'm now running at 3066MHz. When I purchased the motherboard I was expecting to be stuck at 2666MHz like I was previously, I'm more than happy.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm super happy with my new 2700x setup so far. Running PE level 4 with a -0.075 offset and it will boost all cores at 4.25 GHz without any issues. I still have a ton of different things to try out too.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Do you get a measurable improvement in performance compared to just letting the CPU do it's own thing? I wasn't able to.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

LRADIKAL posted:

Do you get a measurable improvement in performance compared to just letting the CPU do it's own thing? I wasn't able to.

I recently built a 2700X build for my younger brother, and other than updating the bios and installing the chipset drivers, I didn't mess with cpu settings, the attraction of the 2700X being it's pretty much max'd out out-of-the-box. (of course I corrected the ram speed)

vv Hm, I'm pretty sure I was seeing 4050MHz all-core with the newest BIOS updates and the "AMD Balanced" or whatever it's called power profile from the newest chipset drivers, but I don't have the machine in front of me to confirm

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 27, 2018

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

LRADIKAL posted:

Yes. If I remember correctly, stock was right around 3.9 GHz all core max. PE 3 got me up to 4.1 all core, and PE 4 gets me to to 4.25 while both will still boost up to 4.34 on individual cores . Temps were pretty wild on PE 4 so I started using the negative voltage offset. I've seen people run PE3 with BCLK adjustments and positive voltage offsets up to 4.2-4.3 all core and I'll probably play around with that at some point.

I'll eventually get around to seeing what I can do with my RAM as well. I was able to get to 3200 without issue with the DOCP profile.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I mean as far as benchmarking performance, I was able to squeeze out slightly higher frequencies, but letting it do it's own thing was just as performant, but more cool and stable.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

LRADIKAL posted:

I mean as far as benchmarking performance, I was able to squeeze out slightly higher frequencies, but letting it do it's own thing was just as performant, but more cool and stable.

On my current settings I got a 1914 in Cinebench. The lowest I have saved is an 1825, but I can't remember what the settings for that were. I'm pretty sure I had some runs in the high 1700's stock but didn't get them saved.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

HalloKitty posted:

I recently built a 2700X build for my younger brother, and other than updating the bios and installing the chipset drivers, I didn't mess with cpu settings, the attraction of the 2700X being it's pretty much max'd out out-of-the-box. (of course I corrected the ram speed)

vv Hm, I'm pretty sure I was seeing 4050MHz all-core with the newest BIOS updates and the "AMD Balanced" or whatever it's called power profile from the newest chipset drivers, but I don't have the machine in front of me to confirm

Don't use that power profile anymore. The Microsoft balanced one is the one to use.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Stanley Pain posted:

Don't use that power profile anymore. The Microsoft balanced one is the one to use.

I just wonder why it installs by default with the chipset drivers then. It holds much higher idle speeds than the built in balanced profile, and I'm going to guess AMD probably has left it like that for a reason. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

HalloKitty posted:

I just wonder why it installs by default with the chipset drivers then. It holds much higher idle speeds than the built in balanced profile, and I'm going to guess AMD probably has left it like that for a reason. :shrug:
Because Windows 10 had issues with core parking when Ryzen was new, the default balanced profile parked them too aggressively which cost Ryzen performance in certain programs. AMD supplied the profile with chipset drivers, one that has less of an effect on performance, but obviously uses slightly more power. Windows 10 later got an optimized power plan that doesn't have quite as much of a performance impact either, but seems to save more power.

There's an ancient blog on this:
https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/04/06/amd-ryzen-community-update-3