Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I'm early on in the Villager isekai and the whole "gently caress it all I'm going to be stronger than the Hero consequences be damned" raise some extremely annoying SAO heroine-turned-damsel-in-distress red flags. Does the female lead get neutered as someone who does anything at all? To be fair she hasn't done anything much at all so far either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Kind of? There's only been two events with her in them so far one she wasn't strong enough for because he butted in with the goblin attack and the second when he ran roughshod over a dungeon the day before she was going to clear it but it's implied she would have been strong enough to do it.

But I can see the recurring gimmick happening where he butts in on something she needed to do before she can do it making her weaker than she would have been then having to save her because he had to be an rear end in a top hat. Which would grow tired really quickly.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if he did it accidentally, that's one thing. but if the villager keeps sabotaging her development for the sake of his ego then he's the villain of the story.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if he did it accidentally, that's one thing. but if the villager keeps sabotaging her development for the sake of his ego then he's the villain of the story.

It's entirely possible that's what the world-ending calamity is. That he's the end boss.

I'd even put it up there with 'very probably' considering what skills he's got and how he's using them.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

EponymousMrYar posted:

It's entirely possible that's what the world-ending calamity is. That he's the end boss.

I'd even put it up there with 'very probably' considering what skills he's got and how he's using them.

I doubt it, personally, but the author might actually be that thoughtful.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
He has had at least 2 separate realizations where he thinks "I'm to blame for her weak state" but both times he has promptly decided "It'll be okay as long as I can protect her!!"

Artificer fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 28, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, I finally caught up to it after when I posted it and it sure did slip comfortably into a pretty generic isekai pace. It has potential with the whole "he has completely hosed up the balance of the world with his powergaming" but I'm feeling the author won't pull that off well, as well as the neutering the hero repeatedly thing being bad (though her reaction to the dungeon clearing was pretty funny). I'll probably casually keep up with it but yeah, it's unfortunate how it's gone after chapter 8 or 9 or whichever one had the minotaur asphyxiation.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I recently got the shounen jump for $2 a month thing and saw they have all three chapters of the DBZ Yamcha isekai for free. I don’t remember the third chapter making the rounds here but I also don’t follow any of the DBZ threads

No link because you have to read on the app

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
after an exceedingly long hiatus, the translation of witchcraft works has been picked back up with 6 new chapters! i'm totally fuckin' pumped.

i'm waiting for the other shoe to drop for evermillion, though. she can't be the only sane witch.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 31, 2018

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

So, regarding this series, I finally broke down due to a lack of VoDs to watch or other manga/books to read during a slow period at work and I read the WN translation for this (mostly, I skipped to them entering Alessa).

It's pretty decent (so, good for a WN), the occasional rough translation aside. At least, until Ulmutt and the introduction of one character. I'm still reading it because it's otherwise fine, I don't know how much is the translation (and lovely terms that need to die), and I still really like Fran and almost everybody else that shows up in this arc, but I just wish the awful things regarding this one character weren't there.

For anyone that wants to see the mess I'm taking about : (CW: transphobia, homophobia and, to round out the shitheap, pedophilia. Almost no story stuff though, just a tiny bit about what doesn't happen.)
「Nn. Just one question.」
「Whatever might that be?」
「Male? Or Female?」
The man that called himself Erza took a pose as if to show off his buff rear end body while also lightly pressing a finger against one of his lips. He then winked and blew a kiss in Fran’s direction. Oh god why!?
「S e c r e t.」
Secret my rear end! He’s totally a dude!
He wore heavy makeup on his cheeks, and thick eyeshadow on his eyes. His lips were covered in a red purple lipstick, and his head topped with a crimson afro. You could easily make out both his tights and muscular body even despite him wearing a layer of leather armour. Holy poo poo, he was a legit homo manwoman.
Pain Conversion: Converts some pain to pleasure.
That skill right there was a masochist’s best friend.
Either way, it seemed like the masochistic homosexual before us was one of the most powerful people I’d ever met after reincarnating.

(Next is the pedophilia part, so you can stop here if you'd like to skip the real awful poo poo. The worst (or best, considering the alternative) part? This is the only point it comes up; Erza never does anything involving this. Just this paragraph and a half could have been cut and no other edits would have to be made (though taking out the stereotypes and the MC being shitheel regarding her would be very appreciated). It's probably just there to justify the lovely reaction Sword-dad has to her.)

「..., and his tastes span the generations as far as age goes. In fact, both you (note: Fran, the 'you' here, is 12) and I (note: the 'I' here is a 71 year old man, so whatever) fall into his strike zone. ...」
「Erza doesn’t believe in simply watching over children lovingly and will act on his urges, but that isn’t to say that he actively goes after them himself either. Despite all else, he still is technically Ulmutt’s ace, so some children do end up developing odd tastes and approaching him on their own.」

I really hope this character is heavily edited (either fixed or removed) in the manga. There's some really fun characters and events in Ulmutt! I just couldn't enjoy them whenever she was around. There's some decent hope regarding manga edits at least; its tweaked version of events so far is definitely better. On the other hand it did unnecessarily add Sword-dad to the bathhouse scene...

Onean fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 31, 2018

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Quote isn't Edit, you dumb thumb.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yikes

I guess if that fella shows up in the manga I'll be dropping it post haste

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Awww come the gently caress on.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
There's all this good stuff with a side of meh, and yet they couldn't resist just dropping one dollop of poo poo on top of it to mess up the whole piece.

I really like the series. It's a nice take on an OP setup since it's most common theme is one that seems opposite: There's always something stronger than you, no matter how strong you think you are, and it can, and usually will, kill you. Often that stronger thing is Fran, usually it's not. Victory against the stuff that matters is sometimes impossible and never easy. They don't get a clean, solo, fair kill against a powerful enemy for a long time. The demon in the goblin dungeon, for example, was way out of their league in a straight fight. The only reason they won was because he was distracted by having to protect the dungeon master, and even then Fran's arms get immediately chopped off at the start and they were basically out of resources by the end. Even when they do get that clean (but still not easy) kill later, they're almost immediately reminded that there's things so far outside their class they'd instantly die if they took them head-on.

But then they just couldn't help but put in an awful trope stereotype character and had to bump it up a step, too.
:smith:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Pollyanna posted:

Awww come the gently caress on.

There's still a lot of fun stuff for the manga to get to in between here and there, so I wouldn't completely give up on it yet. And, even though I mentioned the bathhouse scene, the manga really does do things much better. Like the Guild's assistant. In the WN she's basically nothing more than a pretty face that Fran just happens to become minor acquaintances with in the WN, while in the manga they take the little bit of frustration she shows in the LN and turn her into an actual character, if a little simple. And to be fair, even though I did complain about it, they put Sword-dad in the bathhouse scene so they could keep the manga in his point of view and still explain the Gods. In the WN it just switches to Fran's PoV.

I can't imagine they'd leave Erza as-is with how much they've improved say many minor and not-so-minor things. She just really stands out in the worst way, which is also why I'm not entirely sure the fan translation isn't making things worse, but I can't check for myself.

Edit: I just realized I could just use machine translation to get an idea. And, kinda? Like, they didn't need to use the terms they did, but everything else is still there.

Onean fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 31, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I am unsurprised at fan translation making things worse (it sure as hell does with, say, Komi-san's apparently trans character) but also not really surprised that that's still poo poo to begin with.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The one I always think of is the terrible translation of a bit in one piece where luffy puts on an afro with huge sideburns to box against someone and instead of talking about the afro making the man etc in reference to a famous Japanese boxer who sported a huge afro, it instead talks about the strength of black people being from afros or some poo poo

Hell that ones still around, a goon has been catching up on one piece and that line got transplanted over to the more recent scanlations of the color version

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It might not be the translation. Japanese media is notoriously bad when it comes to portraying trans characters. It's not even that great with gay characters.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

RatHat posted:

It might not be the translation. Japanese media is notoriously bad when it comes to portraying trans characters. It's not even that great with gay characters.

Nah, the stuff in Komi is definitely the translation, because what they're doing is assholery with pronouns like 'he/she'.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Japanese doesn't really have pronouns per se? Like he / she / they / whatever, or if they do have pronouns they're very seldom used since the subject of a phrase is supposed to be obvious because of context, etc.

(Note, in case it wasn't clear since I often don't get my point across very well: I'm agreeing that the he/she thing is added in the translation, I was just speculating why that might be.)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Mikl posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Japanese doesn't really have pronouns per se? Like he / she / they / whatever, or if they do have pronouns they're very seldom used since the subject of a phrase is supposed to be obvious because of context, etc.

(Note, in case it wasn't clear since I often don't get my point across very well: I'm agreeing that the he/she thing is added in the translation, I was just speculating why that might be.)

Correct. This is why we know it's translation. In the text, Najimi is largely treated as female outside of a few very rare instances, but presented as male in The Past.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah this was about where I stopped the series. Sadly Erza ends up ~hilariously~ raping some bad guys and really it's okay because they're bad guys lol so comedic soon after :/

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Xun posted:

Yeah this was about where I stopped the series. Sadly Erza ends up ~hilariously~ raping some bad guys and really it's okay because they're bad guys lol so comedic soon after :/

Yeeeah I'd be okay if that character was just cut entirely,

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mors Rattus posted:

Correct. This is why we know it's translation. In the text, Najimi is largely treated as female outside of a few very rare instances, but presented as male in The Past.

Last I remember Najimi was literally everyone's childhood friend, and therefore existed in some sort of quantum state, giving off contradictory signals so the waveform wouldn't collapse. The ambiguity is :thejoke:, having an actual answer would defeat the point.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I've dropped a series before over translator fuckery about trans characters' pronouns (Liar Game). I'm trans myself so reading stuff like that especially bothers me.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Understandable.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Xun posted:

Right, I forgot about that part, because it happened off-screen.

You stopped right before Ulmutt's arc starts to get good, too. :(

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I've dropped a series before over translator fuckery about trans characters' pronouns (Liar Game). I'm trans myself so reading stuff like that especially bothers me.

god that twist was awful, although at least the author wised up and eventually retconned her to be a straight up trans woman later. she ended up being a pretty great character in the long run, but i totally understand dropping the series over the initial introduction

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Venuz Patrol posted:

god that twist was awful, although at least the author wised up and eventually retconned her to be a straight up trans woman later. she ended up being a pretty great character in the long run, but i totally understand dropping the series over the initial introduction

That wasn't the issue. The issue was that the fan translators insisted on using masculine pronouns for her. The official translation if there's one might be better.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
oh yeah thats totally understandable too

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
That reminds me. Due to the same circumstances that lead to me reading the Sword-dad WN I was browsing Mangadex, saw The Man Picked Up By The Gods, and gave it a try. I vaguely remembered some people here (maybe not this thread, but somewhere on SA) having a problem with either this or a similar manga, specifically the monster taming being instead monster slavery. That wasn't the case at all so I figured it was a different manga, but then when I checked out the WN for it they mentioned off-hand they mistranslated Familiar Magic as Slave Magic. So, if anyone was avoiding this series for that reason, I'd say it's worth giving it another shot.

For an introduction/refresher, a 39 year old salaryman, built like a truck, dies in his sleep and is reincarnated in another world. The gods of this other world do this every couple hundred years to help siphon off some of the magic from Earth to their world, because we aren't using ours while their world doesn't quite regenerate it quickly enough. He is an OP character, carrying over combat skills learned from his abusive father in a dojo plus a little help in magic from the gods so they can use his soul to open the path, but it's still earnest and very adorable.

Onean fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 3, 2019

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
I wish there was an isekai where instead of an overpowered protagonist easy-peasy porting modern technology to the fantasy world, it was chapter after chapter of building a janitorial company with slime ranching.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Giant Metal Robot posted:

I wish there was an isekai where instead of an overpowered protagonist easy-peasy porting modern technology to the fantasy world, it was chapter after chapter of building a janitorial company with slime ranching.

in that one he makes a slime laundry company instead. it's very dull because the mc is functionally invincible and has amazing social contacts, so nothing in his life is ever remotely difficult or dangerous.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Yeah, I need something more like Silver Spoon isekai. Main character is competent at stuff but out of their depth. Eventually, after a hundred chapters, everything turns out pretty okay.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is the one about the little girl reincarnation who invents paper like that?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

My isekai idea would be a podcast, but Hello, From the Magic Tavern kind of took that idea drat.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

in that one he makes a slime laundry company instead. it's very dull because the mc is functionally invincible and has amazing social contacts, so nothing in his life is ever remotely difficult or dangerous.

Yeah, the novel gets pretty dull, but I find the manga to so far be adorable. I do like that the world's set up such that this isn't the first person to be like this though. With the nobles that find the MC being descendants of another isekai'd person that wanted to be an animal trainer, so she created monster training instead, or the daughter that also has an ancestor that was your more standard NEET otaku that just wanted a lot of magic power, or the doctor that actually spread knowledge about diseases and how they worked, but a following person who idolized saints and sacrificed her soul to rid the world of diseases for 400 years completely invalidating and regressing everything that doctor did.

The stuff I enjoyed the most were the nobles and the interactions they and the MC had, but since they moved on while the MC decided to stay behind on his own there hasn't been anything that works as well as they did. I'm hoping the novel picks back up soon, but I'm still reading it for the odd fun chapter that pops up here and there.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Captain Invictus posted:

Is the one about the little girl reincarnation who invents paper like that?

I liked that one but I don’t remember it updating any time recently.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

I wish there was one with any dramatic tension and that wasn't based on video game power fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The board game power fantasy of having a lot of sheep and cows.