Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Fruity20 posted:

can anyone recommend me some short stories, novels and novelettes where the setting is unorthodox or not commonly used of sorts. many fantasy books i've hear of or glance tend to have this stereotypical medieval setting that isn't even accurate most of the time.

Porius by John Cowper Powys is set in the year 499 AD and features extensive discussion of the socio-political formations of the time as well as the effects of the sinking of the lost continent of Atlantis on the demographics of Britain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

tuyop posted:

In no particular order: Aurora, Pushing Ice, Spin, The Three Body Problem, Seveneves, Rendezvous with Rama.

Abusing this as an excuse to write some mini reviews:

* Pushing Ice was okay but by the 2nd half I was so done with the 2 main characters and the willingness of everybody else to just roll over and take it.

* House of Suns I read right after and that was so much better holy poo poo I couldn't put it down.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Almost anything by China Miéville. Fair warning: guy writes like he swallowed a thesaurus. Still enjoyable.

It's like he realized nobody says "bathos" anymore and feels the primal need to make up for decades of the word going underutilized

That aside, the books are good. The Bas-Lag books are in a very unique setting, highlights there are probably Perdido Street Station and The Scar, for different reasons (former is just a wild fantasy city setting, latter takes place mostly on a giant ship-city). Embassytown is also excellent, the setting is sort of secondary to the story, but the alien culture is deeply unique and there are some compelling ideas there.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 13, 2018

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

A human heart posted:

Porius by John Cowper Powys is set in the year 499 AD and features extensive discussion of the socio-political formations of the time as well as the effects of the sinking of the lost continent of Atlantis on the demographics of Britain.

That sounds fascinating, I may have to check that out.

On another note, were you the one that recommended Dreams of Amputation somewhere on the forums? I have a terrible habit of adding books that interest me to a "to-read" list but never making note of why I added the book, so if you can tell me anything about it, that'd be great.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I keep forgetting about Embassytown but I think it’s his best novel.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Embassytown was so good, definitely one of the best books I read in 2018.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Any recommended translations for the Tibetan Book of the Dead?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

That sounds fascinating, I may have to check that out.

On another note, were you the one that recommended Dreams of Amputation somewhere on the forums? I have a terrible habit of adding books that interest me to a "to-read" list but never making note of why I added the book, so if you can tell me anything about it, that'd be great.

It's ostensibly a 'cyberpunk' novel but the author is a philosophy guy who is friends with the dude who wrote Cyclonopedia, so it has very little interest in dumb poo poo like plot. there are some excerpts here: http://htmlgiant.com/author-news/dreams-of-amputation/

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Any Audiobook recommendations along the same vein of:

- Brandon Sanderson: Mistborn Trilogy, Alloy of Law, The Stormlight Archive
- Patrick Rothfuss: Kingkiller Chronicles
- Scott Lynch: The Gentleman Bastards

Not only are the stories amazing, the narrators are top notch and really immerse you in the world. I've listened to each of the author's series maybe two or three times each just from how good they are, and I've just finished The Gentleman Bastards series and boy does Michael Page knock it out of the park. Caveat: I don't normally mind sex scenes in a book, but listening to a man narrate it and go so far as to include moaning and groaning is a bit off putting and I usually skip over it, so books heavy with those scenes would preferably be left out. Recently finished Joe Abercrombie's Best Served Cold Audiobook and the sex scenes in that were awful to get through.

I'm currently listening to Mordecai: The Riven Gates, but the narrator really isn't doing it for me, I keep picking it up and putting it right back down because it's painful to get through, but the book series is something I really enjoyed. I can't go back and listen to The Kingkiller Chronicle or The Way Of Kings, I've honestly listened to them back to front twice this year alone. A lot of books that I really enjoy on paperback haven't translated to Audiobook very well. I've included a pic of my bookcase with stuff I've read over the years, some I keep just for nostalgia (and no longer like) but a vast majority of the books are still enjoyable for me to read, to help you with recommendations.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 14, 2018

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Qubee posted:

Check out Kings of the Wyld, it should be right up your alley.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The First Law trilogy audiobooks ready by Stephen Pacey are top notch.

As are the Sanderson Stormlight Archive audiobooks, can't remember the readers' names though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

MockingQuantum posted:

It's like he realized nobody says "bathos" anymore and feels the primal need to make up for decades of the word going underutilized

That aside, the books are good. The Bas-Lag books are in a very unique setting, highlights there are probably Perdido Street Station and The Scar, for different reasons (former is just a wild fantasy city setting, latter takes place mostly on a giant ship-city). Embassytown is also excellent, the setting is sort of secondary to the story, but the alien culture is deeply unique and there are some compelling ideas there.

Kraken is loving awesome.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Kraken is loving awesome.
Should be noted it's probably got the least original setting, being an UF novel set in London, and he was explicitly asking about unusual settings for fantasy.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Stringent posted:

This and the 4 standalone books that come after are exactly what you are looking for.

The books are better then Stormlight / Kingkiller / Lies of Locke Lamora on their own but the really good part is that Steve Pacey is the best narrator of any audio book ever, saying this as someone who has listened to 100+ audio books.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

Qubee posted:

Caveat: I don't normally mind sex scenes in a book, but listening to a man narrate it and go so far as to include moaning and groaning is a bit off putting and I usually skip over it, so books heavy with those scenes would preferably be left out. Recently finished Joe Abercrombie's Best Served Cold Audiobook and the sex scenes in that were awful to get through.

Sorry, I missed this part, but really? Like you are cool with Kovoth the fairy fucker but don't like Steve Pacey's magic voice narrating golden shower requests? :)

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Ornamented Death posted:

Check out Kings of the Wyld, it should be right up your alley.

seen this pop up in my recommended tonnes, definitely gonna give it a go now.

Stringent posted:

As are the Sanderson Stormlight Archive audiobooks, can't remember the readers' names though.

bless you, will give these a listen too

spandexcajun posted:

Sorry, I missed this part, but really? Like you are cool with Kovoth the fairy fucker but don't like Steve Pacey's magic voice narrating golden shower requests? :)

hahaha, you're 100% right. I'd read the physical book twice before the Audiobook so I skipped that entire fae / Felurian chapter cause I couldn't handle it, the only part I listened to was the part where he speaks with the Cthaeh

on a sidenote: kids should be told to stay in school, don't do drugs, and never give Audiobooks a go. I remember when I first tried them out, I thought they were awful, "they don't even come close to the feel of reading a physical book!". now I can't sleep at night without listening to a few chapters before bed. Amazon also has an incredible return policy so any time I get a book and it turns out less than stellar (which is usually obvious within a couple of chapters) I can exchange it and get a credit back, but they still let you keep it which is amazing.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 14, 2018

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib
The first law does not have that many sex scenes (maybe only one if the first trilogy IIRC) for sure less then Best served cold, but they do have the grunts and unfs and such. They are so silly as to be comical, but they exist.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Looking for realistic/grounded fiction that depicts the coming climate apocalypse and how it will affect society.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

cult member at airport posted:

Looking for realistic/grounded fiction that depicts the coming climate apocalypse and how it will affect society.

The Windup Girl. It's science-fiction, but definitely more on the realistic/plausible end of the spectrum. I remember there being some climate fiction anthologies out there- like I'm With the Bears and Drowned Lands- but I've not read them.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

spandexcajun posted:

Steve Pacey is the best narrator of any audio book ever

Word.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cult member at airport posted:

Maybe The Water Knife.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Maybe The Water Knife.

Definitely The Water Knife

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Qubee posted:

- Brandon Sanderson: Mistborn Trilogy, Alloy of Law, The Stormlight Archive
- Patrick Rothfuss: Kingkiller Chronicles
- Scott Lynch: The Gentleman Bastards

Sword of Truth is on Audible

Qubee
May 31, 2013

is there an unabridged version of the Mistborn trilogy? Just realised I've never listened to them on Audible, and there's the Mistborn trilogy then the 3 books afterwards set in the future, but I don't fancy buying each one separately. Would rather get 3 books in 1 for 1 credit.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I think you mean omnibus, not abridged. And probably not; why should the publisher bother when they can make triple the money by doing them individually. Generally omnibus editions are for older works. The Foundation trilogy or HHGTTG

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

C'mon, his examples are not quite that level of horrible. There's liking Rothfuss (and that's honestly the most offensive thing there) and there's subjecting yourself to Goodkind.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 22, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This is cruel and unusual.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I'd like a recommendation of a sci-fi book or series with a relatively optimistic/positive/uplifting outlook. it doesn't have to be all rainbows and sunshine but I'm kind of burnt out on misanthropic, pessimistic, debbie downer type poo poo. some stuff I'd consider to fit this bill is the Jean Le Flambeur trilogy, the Culture and Radch books, most Stanislaw Lem short stories, The Girl With All The Gifts, even something fantasy-tilted like the Broken Earth jawns.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

indigi posted:

I'd like a recommendation of a sci-fi book or series with a relatively optimistic/positive/uplifting outlook. it doesn't have to be all rainbows and sunshine but I'm kind of burnt out on misanthropic, pessimistic, debbie downer type poo poo. some stuff I'd consider to fit this bill is the Jean Le Flambeur trilogy, the Culture and Radch books, most Stanislaw Lem short stories, The Girl With All The Gifts, even something fantasy-tilted like the Broken Earth jawns.

Murderbot is set in a depressing universe but the character is adorable and reading it makes me happy

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

indigi posted:

Brian Stableford's stuff tends to be deeply optimistic even if Earth's been through a plague war or something. Humanity will survive.

big fork small knife
Jan 23, 2006

I’m trying to make an effort to be more socially conscious, so I’m looking for recommendations for non-fiction books that deal with social issues.

I’ve got The New Jim Crow, Nickel and Dimed and I’m about to start Asking for It.

Anything that has to do with race, gender, sexuality, class or any other societal problem would be great.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Need suggestions for January BOTM.

Looking for books that fit one or more of the following criteria:

1) Accessible (available in ebook format, cheap/free, not Finnegan's Wake)

2) Intelligent (something that is worth actually discussing, not just pablum)

3) Off the beaten path a bit -- something most people around here probably have not already read.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

big fork small knife posted:

I’m trying to make an effort to be more socially conscious, so I’m looking for recommendations for non-fiction books that deal with social issues.

I’ve got The New Jim Crow, Nickel and Dimed and I’m about to start Asking for It.

Anything that has to do with race, gender, sexuality, class or any other societal problem would be great.

You should read Straight: The Surprisingly Short History of Heterosexuality by Hanne Blank

I haven't read it yet, but I've heard good things, and it's on my list.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Salt Sugar Fat, Reefer Madness, No Logo, The Culture of Fear, The Other Wes Moore, Between the World and Me, Black Like Me, pretty much any James Baldwin. Sherman Alexie is a fantastic Native American author whose hosed-up early life informs a lot of of his fiction, but I'm not sure if he has any collections that are purely non-fiction.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Settlers by J Sakai

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

funkybottoms posted:

Salt Sugar Fat, Reefer Madness, No Logo, The Culture of Fear, The Other Wes Moore, Between the World and Me, Black Like Me, pretty much any James Baldwin. Sherman Alexie is a fantastic Native American author whose hosed-up early life informs a lot of of his fiction, but I'm not sure if he has any collections that are purely non-fiction.

I am on a similar kick. I have read bell hooks' Takling Back, Ta-Nehisi Coates's We Were 8 Years in Power, currently reading Thomas King's The Inconvenient Indian. All are excellent looks at race and gender (hooks also deals well with class, and is an amazing writer). On tap is W. E. B. DuBois' The Souls of Black Folk.

Have you read Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States yet?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Looking for books that fit one or more of the following criteria:

1) Accessible (available in ebook format, cheap/free, not Finnegan's Wake)

2) Intelligent (something that is worth actually discussing, not just pablum)

3) Off the beaten path a bit -- something most people around here probably have not already read.

Vonnegut's Hocus Pocus if only because I'm planning on reading it shortly.

Seriously though, have you done Robertson Davies yet? Fifth Business is a great character-driven story set in Edwardian Upper Canada, so fairly off beat but super entertaining and accessible.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Bilirubin posted:

I am on a similar kick. I have read bell hooks' Takling Back, Ta-Nehisi Coates's We Were 8 Years in Power, currently reading Thomas King's The Inconvenient Indian. All are excellent looks at race and gender (hooks also deals well with class, and is an amazing writer). On tap is W. E. B. DuBois' The Souls of Black Folk.

Have you read Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States yet?

No, I've picked it up and put down a few times, though. In a similar vein, I love Lies My Teacher Told Me and have been picking at The March of Folly for a minute now.

And Bell Hooks is absolutely one to include in this conversation.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ryan Boudinot’s Blueprints of the Afterlife

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City by Matthew Desmond. Its all about the mass evictions during the 2008 financial crisis and it will make you want to eat all landlords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

funkybottoms posted:

No, I've picked it up and put down a few times, though. In a similar vein, I love Lies My Teacher Told Me and have been picking at The March of Folly for a minute now.

And Bell Hooks is absolutely one to include in this conversation.

On gender, my partner did a women's study degree (which then led to admission to the top law schools in our country, if you ever wondered what someone does with one of those) would say read Simone de Beauvoir's Second Sex. Apparently the prologue covers the entirety of the subject matter. She's (edit: my partner, not de Beauvoir) the one who gave me her copy of bell hook's book after bar conversations stemming from Charlottesville

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 28, 2018