Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Rime posted:

Wow, the actual assembly of wind turbines is pretty hosed up. :stare:

?

What do you mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaBML1FacTk

Just some cranes in use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I hear they sacrifice a bald eagle as a blessing over each new turbine.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Pander posted:

?

What do you mean?

Just some cranes in use.

The Horror

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Pander posted:

?

What do you mean?

Just some cranes in use.

Trust me when I say that this is so far from on the ground reality that it may as well be CGI.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Xand_Man posted:

I hear they sacrifice a bald eagle as a blessing over each new turbine.
Still less Toxic than DDT.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Rime posted:

Trust me when I say that this is so far from on the ground reality that it may as well be CGI.

I would love to hear your details as someone that has been involved in a turbine construction project. I've never heard or seen anything completely terrible, but i'm sure there are some good stories.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I would love to hear your details as someone that has been involved in a turbine construction project. I've never heard or seen anything completely terrible, but i'm sure there are some good stories.

I'll dump when I'm out of NDA, I've already got stories which would make you :allbuttons:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Rime posted:

I'll dump when I'm out of NDA, I've already got stories which would make you :allbuttons:

loving NDAs.

I'm imagining some horrible safety conditions, and complete disregard of environmental impact, maybe some corruption and labor crimes as well.

The job I was on was for a smaller turbine installation, Generally the larger the job the worse it is it seems.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Rime posted:

I wasn't meaning to suggest you were bullshitting when I posted the industry-scrubbed video of one going up, I just was somewhat at a loss about where the process differs from as presented to reality. I could absolutely see lax safety and oversight, and am curious if I'm missing some environmental issues.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that most wind turbines are placed in the middle of nowhere farm fields. Instead of nice tarmac for the crane to be stable on, there is uneven ground that has to be leveled or have matting put down.

I would also guess that putting up ~100 turbines per wind farm in a remote area leads to lax safety.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Is it hand starting the turbines?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Orvin posted:

I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that most wind turbines are placed in the middle of nowhere farm fields. Instead of nice tarmac for the crane to be stable on, there is uneven ground that has to be leveled or have matting put down.

I would also guess that putting up ~100 turbines per wind farm in a remote area leads to lax safety.

There's is for sure some of that. Accidents during installation, or even after installation are not uncommon.

Here's the accident rate for UK installations:

http://www.caithnesswindfarms.co.uk/AccidentStatistics.htm

Lack of good QA, workplace safety, and lowest bid construction all lead to this. I couldn't find numbers for the US currently,but i wouldn't be surprised to see them much higher than the UK.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Rime posted:

I have a friend who worked on the construction of the San Onofre Nuclear Generators.

Huge mistakes (like installing one of the reactors backward), lots of hazards that were not reported included an issue with the site that involved having to pump a poo poo-ton of concrete under stuff because of where it was built.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Wind still leads to fewer deaths per kilowatt-hour than solar does.

Lots more than nuclear, though.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Phanatic posted:

Wind still leads to fewer deaths per kilowatt-hour than solar does.

Lots more than nuclear, though.

But "proliferation concerns!"

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Case 1: they tried hot-stacking a 132m, 7 segment tower. This means dropping the cans before each is fully torqued on. This lead to oscillation so extreme that it sheared off bolts as thick as my calf and shredded the 9" thick solid steel flange joint. Nuts so huge they require a 65lb socket to torque, raining down out of the sky.

This destroys a $3m tower shipped all the way from Denmark.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

VideoGameVet posted:

I have a friend who worked on the construction of the San Onofre Nuclear Generators.

Huge mistakes (like installing one of the reactors backward), lots of hazards that were not reported included an issue with the site that involved having to pump a poo poo-ton of concrete under stuff because of where it was built.

Most power generation has issues like this during construction. Building ships is the same way it's always a cluster gently caress because of the scale and number of people involved.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Rime posted:

Case 1: they tried hot-stacking a 132m, 7 segment tower. This means dropping the cans before each is fully torqued on. This lead to oscillation so extreme that it sheared off bolts as thick as my calf and shredded the 9" thick solid steel flange joint. Nuts so huge they require a 65lb socket to torque, raining down out of the sky.

This destroys a $3m tower shipped all the way from Denmark.

That's about what I expect. Rushing the job, lax safety standards, metal falling out of the sky.

I went on a tour of a wind farm once, and they mandated we wear hardhats while on the premises. This is exactly why.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

But "proliferation concerns!"

Wouldn't want to proliferate too much clean energy

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Rime posted:

There where about 450 turbines put up this year in the US, by many different companies. It seems obvious that you will get a spectrum of practices, from the very bad to the fine, just like in the construction industry in general.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Oh wow, they're firing everyone next week. Goddamn. :stonk:

E: being up on o' these when it's blowing 45 and the brakes aren't on yet is hella not fun. Rolling like a ship on the ocean right now, must be five feet of back and forth play. :magical:

Ee: Ice chunks the size of God's own testicles hitting the roof as they fall off the blades holy gently caress. Freezing rain hammering us like a machine gun. :magical: :magical:

Rime fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 14, 2018

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Rime of the Ancient Gearbox Technician

And soon I heard a roaring turbine: 
It did not come to my machinists mark; 
But with its sound it shook the wind, 
Come to fear they did, its rotational torque. 

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
We evacuated the tower, foreman goes "I have never seen one move like that without snapping, holy gently caress".

:cripes:

E: it's because we locked the blades with wind gusts of 100km/h hitting them. :stonklol:

Rime fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 14, 2018

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
It's such a great demonstration of conservation of angular momentum when they let go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfzgIxMEo8g&t=31s

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
3:30 is me this morning, I think we had more movement though. Trying to climb down the ladder felt like I was drunk.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Rime posted:

We evacuated the tower, foreman goes "I have never seen one move like that without snapping, holy gently caress".

:cripes:

E: it's because we locked the blades with wind gusts of 100km/h hitting them. :stonklol:

Uh, hello?! That means the wind farm is going up in the right place?

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

Uh, hello?! That means the wind farm is going up in the right place?

I suspect not. Don't they prefer moderate-but-steady winds??

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Only if your a pansy. We should really run every power plant at theoretical maximums. Nuclear plants should be breeder reactors carved out of vast caverns lined with material and exposed to neutron bombs dropped in. Coal power should just be from setting entire seams on fire. Wind farms should be on vast hurricane chasing barges. Solar panels should just be on the sun.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Only if your a pansy. We should really run every power plant at theoretical maximums. Nuclear plants should be breeder reactors carved out of vast caverns lined with material and exposed to neutron bombs dropped in. Coal power should just be from setting entire seams on fire. Wind farms should be on vast hurricane chasing barges. Solar panels should just be on the sun.

We need to build the Shadow Broker's ship from that Mass Effect 2 DLC chasing roiling thunderstorms for power.

If our inspiration for power sources isn't at the very least Frankenstein level awesome we're not reaching our potential.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
That reminds me that we really really are behind on our volcano lair construction too.

Shame geothermal hasn't ever really panned out majorly.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

That reminds me that we really really are behind on our volcano lair construction too.

Shame geothermal hasn't ever really panned out majorly.

We need OTEC boiling the seas or else why even try!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/a9v9st/elon_musk_we_know_well_run_out_of_dead_dinosaurs/

(This was something I submitted to Reddit. Got 125k votes and 10 gold.)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Dammit, it's not dead dinosaurs, it's dead trees :argh:

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

At a training conference, one of the presentations about off shore wind pointed out that wind turbines would weaken storms. He went on to mention that Superstorm Sandy could have drastically reduced. All that was needed was something like 150,000 wind turbines in its path.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I am very much pro over building and mass producing to that scale. Use the extra power to produce gasoline from air and sea water, or something.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Orvin posted:

At a training conference, one of the presentations about off shore wind pointed out that wind turbines would weaken storms. He went on to mention that Superstorm Sandy could have drastically reduced. All that was needed was something like 150,000 wind turbines in its path.

150,000 2MW turbines:

300GW of power (more that half the US's coal capacity)

$750B to build and install, assuming an exorbitant $5M cost per unit because they're offshore.

Lesson: gently caress F35s, get actual strategic economic value out of free gubbermint energy for industry for less cost.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Something about investing in infrastructure to being the best long-term strategic planning decision a nation can make

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Potato Salad posted:

150,000 2MW turbines:

300GW of power (more that half the US's coal capacity)

$750B to build and install, assuming an exorbitant $5M cost per unit because they're offshore.

Lesson: gently caress F35s, get actual strategic economic value out of free gubbermint energy for industry for less cost.

I bet you that there's more labor jobs in building wind turbines in the ocean than there is in building gee wiz fighter jets too!

Also you could probably make a military argument for a robust and oversized national energy grid like they did for free ways. I dunno, electricity is important for ewar, our commerce depends on it, excess power can make us oil independent, we can use it to power a laser defense grid?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

I bet you that there's more labor jobs in building wind turbines in the ocean than there is in building gee wiz fighter jets too!

Also you could probably make a military argument for a robust and oversized national energy grid like they did for free ways. I dunno, electricity is important for ewar, our commerce depends on it, excess power can make us oil independent, we can use it to power a laser defense grid?

My buddy always writes me in for uncontested elections. Another friend chimed in and asked me about building a literal space wall to keep out literal aliens. I told them my platform was a Dyson sphere with a laser cannon to hook up the defense industry. Even in my space politican fantasy keeping the contractors happy keeps the political machine running.

Vote Naramyth. Vote Renewable Space Laser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I am very much pro over building and mass producing to that scale. Use the extra power to produce gasoline from air and sea water, or something.

Why would you want to produce more gasoline?