Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Salon/status/1078618414879518720

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

mistaya posted:

Didn't both Sears and Toys R Us have more workers EACH than the entire coal industry? But no one gives a gently caress about the retail workers while the last fifty miners in West Virginia have this stupid mythos built around them. UGH I hate it so much.

Yeah but retail workers lack the folksy charm of black lung and chronic silicosis or coal ash retention ponds.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1078638249562775552?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Hm.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

It really is like the racist grandpa you see for the holidays except it's every day.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

The official count has the cheating Republican "winning" by only 900 votes.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ewiley posted:

Yeah, I'm sure it will be just as much a resounding success as the blue checkmark policy.

The RealPressSecBot is in danger for a combination of the API crackdown and a special separate reason though.

Basically Nazi Jack tried to justify Twitter's selective enforcement of their violent/hate speech policy by saying "Absolutely nothing, context matters" when Hannity asked him what Twitter would do about a tweet that said "I wanna punch Hannity in the face”. So dude who made RealPressSecBot made a bot that generated tweets saying it wanted to do wrestling moves to various body parts of Hannity, like "I'M GONNA ELBOW DROP HANNITY'S NOSTRILS". In context the "threats" were clearly not legitimate threats but Twitter perma-banned the bot anyway because Jack was lying.

But apparently there's a new, undisclosed, policy where if you make an account that gets banned your dev account gets flagged and you are prohibited from making any new accounts using the dev account. Since you need a dev account for API access and you need API access to make a "legitimate" bot, that effectively bans you from making any bots.

If RealPressSecBot goes down because it needs an API change which his flagged dev account won't allow him to make, someone else will step up with an equivalent. And the API crackdown probably won't do jack poo poo to stop malicious bots like magabots and spambots because they probably aren't using the API and instead are pretending to be web clients.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Serious question: Forget a new election (lol what); how is this dude not in jail?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

So, are the GOP still pushing for a new election? Because I don’t see why the stolen ballots aren’t just thrown out and the actual winner certified instead.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ewiley posted:

Yeah but retail workers lack the folksy charm of black lung and chronic silicosis or coal ash retention ponds.

They also lack the high pay and intergenerational job passing that made people nostalgic for those jobs.

There is a reason people aren't lamenting the loss of sears jobs the way we lament the loss of manufacturing, and it is because they weren't great jobs.

Mind you, that is stupid as gently caress, but that is why.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
North Carolina GOP: Gerrymander Democrats into 3 safe seats and 1 competitive.
North Carolina GOP: Steal the competitive seat.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Nucleic Acids posted:

So, are the GOP still pushing for a new election? Because I don’t see why the stolen ballots aren’t just thrown out and the actual winner certified instead.

It's not that easy. Saying 1000 ballots were destroyed isn't the same as saying "those 1000 ballots were absolutely 100% legally cast ballots for the Democrat," they were, you know, destroyed. Similarly, you can't look at the (admittedly stuffed) absentee ballots that -were- cast in that county and say "welp all of these Republican absentee votes were 100% illegal, gotta throw 'em out".

The only way to go is a new election that doesn't have this guy stuffing absentee ballots in the first place.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Nucleic Acids posted:

Lol no they're pushing for the person who cheated to win.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Piell posted:

While also trying to pass legislation that will cripple further investigations into what happened and reduce punishment for anyone who does end up getting charged.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
And using their current supermajority to veto the governor's veto of their voter ID laws.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Piell posted:

Not really - they were first pushing for a new primary and he wouldn't be on the ballot at all.

They actually know how bad this is.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
One would think a logical NC GOP would realize that stalling on simply having a new election will invite more and more curious journalists and investigations that will flip over more rocks and make their life harder. Right?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Yes please close the border and watch Texas basically cave overnight. Hell watch the Senate pass bills in a nanosecond to reopen it has Wall Street and the donors poo poo themselves and the economy nosedives into 2009 levels.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i know i shouldn't get angry but we loving destroyed those countries you goddamn loving poo poo for brains.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Mercury Ballistic posted:

One would think a logical NC GOP would realize that stalling on simply having a new election will invite more and more curious journalists and investigations that will flip over more rocks and make their life harder. Right?

They also passed a law making the results of election fraud investigations secret from the public

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
He can't even find them on the map.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I am so, so loving tired.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

Not really - they were first pushing for a new primary and he wouldn't be on the ballot at all.

They actually know how bad this is.

Yes, the NC GOP knows he's toxic now so they'd very much like to run a generic candidate who will get straight party votes. It's still likely they'd lose, but at least they'd be competitive.

And to answer why he's not in jail, he hasn't been accused of a crime. The probable criminal acts were committed by a consultant he hired. Unless the consultant has some juicy evidence linking her suspected acts to the candidate, he has plausible deniability. Here's to hoping he put it in an email.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Trump has always excelled at channelling the grumpy, sundowning boomer aesthetic, ruining the holidays for everyone with retrograde rants about people of colour is a key part of that.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
A combination of Trump closing the border and Beto being the Democratic nominee would make Texas go blue.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Caros posted:

They also lack the high pay and intergenerational job passing that made people nostalgic for those jobs.

There is a reason people aren't lamenting the loss of sears jobs the way we lament the loss of manufacturing, and it is because they weren't great jobs.

Mind you, that is stupid as gently caress, but that is why.

True, but the high pay was because they were generally unionized. I wish the nostalgia included that instead of

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
What the gently caress does "closing the border" even mean?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Wylie posted:

It's not that easy. Saying 1000 ballots were destroyed isn't the same as saying "those 1000 ballots were absolutely 100% legally cast ballots for the Democrat," they were, you know, destroyed. Similarly, you can't look at the (admittedly stuffed) absentee ballots that -were- cast in that county and say "welp all of these Republican absentee votes were 100% illegal, gotta throw 'em out".

The only way to go is a new election that doesn't have this guy stuffing absentee ballots in the first place.

Generally I agree, but in situations like the current one where a campaign itself gets caught doing it (in this case paying someone to do it) and the destroyed ballots were enough to swing things then the destroyed ballots should be recorded as 100% for their opponent.

It's like destroying evidence in a civil case - the assumption is that it supported your opponent's case. If you were dumb and destroyed stuff that would help you well then you get to pay the stupid tax.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Closing the border crossings.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

He doesn't know

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1078413142235983872

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

Closing the border crossings.

This is giving him too much credit I think. He doesn't know what it means. It sounds good to his paraquat base. He thinks he can lower a grate like the border is a loving Claire's at the mall.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It would, presumably, be refusing to process anyone attempting to cross at the border crossings and just turning them back to Mexico/Canada. I don't think the US has ever actually done that, so actually trying to work out what to do would be a pretty challenging experiment. Also, the only people showing up at actual border crossings are the people who have legitimate entry documents or are attempting to surrender to immigration officials to make legal claims to asylum/refugee status, anyone who is actually trying to 'sneak in' to the US would be trying to cross at some unmanned point without inspection anyway, so all it would really do would completely gently caress all the people following the rules and nothing to the flow of people avoiding proper entry. I guess it would also stop people being smuggled at legitimate crossings but I don't know how large a pool that is.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

Generally I agree, but in situations like the current one where a campaign itself gets caught doing it (in this case paying someone to do it) and the destroyed ballots were enough to swing things then the destroyed ballots should be recorded as 100% for their opponent.

It's like destroying evidence in a civil case - the assumption is that it supported your opponent's case. If you were dumb and destroyed stuff that would help you well then you get to pay the stupid tax.

Additionally the risk/reward seems very low for this kind of blatant fraud. If you fail, well no one gets punished and you get another shot at winning. If you succeed then you get in power and pass laws to make it even easier the next time. We send people to jail for years in regards to signing voting forms and casting one vote but massive electoral crimes are like "meh." I can't help but see it as another example of important people in a certain social class are held to a drastically lower standard in regards to the justice system much like in all other aspects of our society.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Critical posted:

This is giving him too much credit I think. He doesn't know what it means. It sounds good to his paraquat base. He thinks he can lower a grate like the border is a loving Claire's at the mall.

No, he literally means closing the border crossings.

I'm not implying he's thought past that point, or considered whether he even possesses the legal power to execute it, but it most assuredly is what's on his mind when he says it.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Ashcans posted:

It would, presumably, be refusing to process anyone attempting to cross at the border crossings and just turning them back to Mexico/Canada. I don't think the US has ever actually done that, so actually trying to work out what to do would be a pretty challenging experiment. Also, the only people showing up at actual border crossings are the people who have legitimate entry documents or are attempting to surrender to immigration officials to make legal claims to asylum/refugee status, anyone who is actually trying to 'sneak in' to the US would be trying to cross at some unmanned point without inspection anyway, so all it would really do would completely gently caress all the people following the rules and nothing to the flow of people avoiding proper entry. I guess it would also stop people being smuggled at legitimate crossings but I don't know how large a pool that is.

It's the emptiest of empty threats. San Ysidro, here in San Diego, is one of the busiest border crossings in the world with tens of thousands coming across every day. Even the Republicans here know we cannot simply close it off I mean, eventually these rich assholes would wonder where their low wage workers are and raise a stink. Not to mention the goods made down there that get shipped up here.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/kailijoy/status/1078658432520122373?s=21

They don’t understand the difference between the executive and legislative ranches, of course.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

His end game is to annex Honduras, Guatemala, and El Salvador and build a cocaine pipeline direct to DC.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Jealous Cow posted:

the executive and legislative ranches

My favorite political cowboy thriller

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Closing a border is what you do when there’s a deadly airborne AIDS pandemic or you’re going to war with your neighbor. I can’t think of a situation where countries have done that except when they’re fighting for their very existence - which Trump, bless his heart, probably thinks is the case.

It’s not happening and tweeting that poo poo is hopefully going to give Republicans more cover for when they override his veto in January.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

VH4Ever posted:

It's the emptiest of empty threats. San Ysidro, here in San Diego, is one of the busiest border crossings in the world with tens of thousands coming across every day. Even the Republicans here know we cannot simply close it off I mean, eventually these rich assholes would wonder where their low wage workers are and raise a stink. Not to mention the goods made down there that get shipped up here.

That's the thing: I think in the Trumpian sense (himself, and also his loyal base) of "border crossing," it's just a one-way valve through which undesirables can enter and nothing else. It's not like there's business, tourism/vacationers, people visiting family and friends, going both ways. Nah it's just a spigot of brown people that needs to be stoppered up.