Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

H110Hawk posted:

There is only 1 light on that pole.

Its the Christmas Star leading Joseph and Mary to Bethlehem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

H110Hawk posted:

There is only 1 light on that pole.

Correction: there is supposed to be only one light.

edit: really wanted to insert the Picard "four lights" meme.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
There is only 1 lamp on that pole.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
You know, arc lamps actually were the first street lights... Arc lamps are actually still used for some projectors.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Does anyone here know if you need to use a special mix for concrete when underground?

Mentioned in the Musk thread:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

hey I can actually answer this! I worked on the Indianapolis Deep Rock Tunnel network for a few years. it’s a 300 some feet deep 18 foot diameter tunnel for combined sewer and it’s lined in concrete. Concrete mixes all have an air % specification generally in the 4-6% range. For these tunnels, concrete needs to be pumped down. The concrete loses a ton of air going through the pump so you need to have your mix account for it so that it reaches the delivery point with the right amount of air. it’s generally a pain in the rear end and you need to test throughout the day to make sure nothing of getting hosed up.

my guess is they didn’t bother with testing or worse, tested at the point where the concrete is obviously going to pass.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's pretty obvious at this point they royally hosed up their concrete.

All the patch jobs, all the little chips and chunks of concrete where the cars were driving along.

Might well be the worst pour I've seen in my life. Lucky LA doesn't get any sort of seismic disturbances which might turn it to dust or anything.

And another image I found:

Because nothing says professionalism more than hiding the wooden planks at the bottom of your tunnel with a massive length of tarp weighed down with a chunk of broken off concrete.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Dec 22, 2018

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I can't get over how utterly poo poo and uneven the track guides are

For comparison, here's a non-poo poo installation used by buses that go up to 100 km/h:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Disrupting your vertebrae

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Move Fast Break Things

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

GotLag posted:

I can't get over how utterly poo poo and uneven the track guides are

For comparison, here's a non-poo poo installation used by buses that go up to 100 km/h:

Pffft, not a speed tarpaulin in sight. How are those buses meant to get up to 150mph.

But I agree with your first point. Even now, looking at the pictures of that stupid tunnel, I can barely believe it's real. It's just so bad!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The tunnel looks like it was done by someone hired from Fiverr with a hand trowel

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are currently multiple tunnels of superior quality under the U.S.–Mexico border.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Platystemon posted:

There are currently multiple tunnels of superior quality under the U.S.–Mexico border.
That’s because the smugglers are actually held accountable for results, unlike Elon Musk who would get fawning praise from his fanboys no matter what.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
It's in bad need of updates, but I found a Lustron home for sale nearby.

I'm actually kind of tempted, but it was clearly updated last in the 1970's, and basically needs gutted and redone.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I'll never understand why people do this.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's like having a whole-room bathmat! One that you never clean!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sliding doors meeting at a corner is a terrible idea.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's like having a whole-room bathmat! One that you never clean!
if I had a dragon hoard of cash I would absolutely have wall to wall carpet in my bathroom I replaced every week.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

kid sinister posted:

I'll never understand why people do this.

At first I thought you meant the toilet paper placement.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The Copan Building in São Paulo, Brazil. So big it literally has its own post code.

It also has the world's tallest external staircase - 38 stories of why the gently caress would anyone do this?

And the building has more than one:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well, it gets you out in the fresh air.

Platystemon posted:

Sliding doors meeting at a corner is a terrible idea.
Just out of curiosity, and also because my apartment's got them, why is that? Anything I need to watch out for?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
It's two more kinda "degrees of freedom" that can misalign.

Aligning the edge of a square plate onto a plane is easy: match two corners and it'll seal, even if it's twisted or turned (different things, mind you). Aligning two square plates' edges up? You've got four points to join, two on two.

Buildings shift, especially in the occasionally hot, wet room.

Analogy: building an armature to hold a pencil on a table, or against a wall, is easy. Holding two together, aligned side-by-side in free space, is difficult.

Queen Combat fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Dec 28, 2018

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

'kay, makes sense. At least it seems like my doors are doing alright so far.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s not a problem till it leaks.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I wonder if anyone has done their bathroom floor in astroturf. That's gotta be sightly less gross than carpet (hygienically, not aesthetically).

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Do you guys simply not know anyone capable of using a bathmat? My parents have had carpeted bathrooms for years and never had any issues. The carpet in the upstairs bathroom was the same for between fifteen and twenty years before they changed it and there wasn't any mold or anything.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Do you guys simply not know anyone capable of using a bathmat? My parents have had carpeted bathrooms for years and never had any issues. The carpet in the upstairs bathroom was the same for between fifteen and twenty years before they changed it and there wasn't any mold or anything.

Goons gonna goon out, I guess.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you put a mat on top of it, what’s the advantage of carpeting?

It’s all downsides.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
It's more comfortable in winter, mainly. And when you're done with your shower, the bathmat gets hung back up. I'm a tile guy, myself, but the rabid hatred for carpeted bathrooms is really strange.

VVVVVVVVV
Then a lot of guys need to figure out how not to piss in the wrong place. That's not a carpeting issue.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 28, 2018

schmug
May 20, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

It's more comfortable in winter, mainly. And when you're done with your shower, the bathmat gets hung back up. I'm a tile guy, myself, but the rabid hatred for carpeted bathrooms is really strange.

I'm pretty sure it has more to do with men with poor aim than shower related stuff.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
To me it's not the occasional drip from the shower or poor aim, it's the massive mess to clean up if the shower develops a leak, or the toilet backs up all over the place.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

There's like a whole god drat galaxy between having a bathmat and having a carpeted bathroom. Yes we probably most/all have mats in our bathrooms, but we don't have permanent piss towels nailed to the floor.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What I meant, at least, is that if you want something soft and warmish under your feet, get a mat.

And if you’re putting a mat over carpet, isn’t the carpet superfluous?

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

It was mildly horrifying the first time I shined a UV flashlight around the toilet I use, the most. Thank God for hard, non-porous, easily cleanable surfaces

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

immoral_ posted:

To me it's not the occasional drip from the shower or poor aim, it's the massive mess to clean up if the shower develops a leak, or the toilet backs up all over the place.

That's especially true when paired with that shower design that is going to leak like crazy.

Also kids. There's no way a carpeted bathroom works in a home with any kids in it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

It doesn't matter what the floor is made of, dry off while standing in the tub. The mat is for the bottom of your feet or an errant drip at best.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Leviathan Song posted:

Also kids. There's no way a carpeted bathroom works in a home with any kids in it.
Yea, this is the real challenge. I have two young kids so there is just a baseline of toilet incidents and tub splashing that I have to live with for a few years. If my bathrooms were carpeted it would be a nightmare, as it is I can mop everything up and move on with my life. Even without kids, your bathroom is just one of the rooms most likely to end up with stuff on the floor, like the kitchen. I'm not living in there, making it fast and easy to clean is a bigger quality of life than making it cozy. Just get some slippers if you need to.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

tetrapyloctomy posted:

VVVVVVVVV
Then a lot of guys need to figure out how not to piss in the wrong place. That's not a carpeting issue.

I don't care how good your aim is, tiny droplets are getting flung off to the side. They may or may not be visible, but it's happening. The penis is not a precision instrument.

And this is setting aside that flushing a toilet inherently releases a cloud of micro droplets. It's just unsanitary to have non washable porous surfaces in a bathroom. There's no good reason to do it, plenty of good reasons not to. Sure there's worse things you can do, but that's textbook damning with faint praise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Crappy Construction Tales: The penis is not a precision instrument.