Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Was there a really big market for military religious comics in the 60's?

e. oh god pretend this wasn't a snype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Poldarn posted:

Was there a really big market for military religious comics in the 60's?

e. oh god pretend this wasn't a snype.

Big enough. There was a huge movement in the 50's that (almost) all comic books were evil and used as a means of "Seduction of the Innocent", corrupting and warping the minds of the youth to act out and rebel*. Some dingbat psychologist along with an army of meddling over-reactors drew up a list of rules to assure that the contents of comic books were of high moral standard. Basically this list of rules had things that you would kind of expect (No sex, no drug use, the villain had to lose**, etc.) and comic publishers at the time either changed to fit these rules or closed up shop.

So, in a time where you wanted to sell comics and get moms and dads to buy them for little Jimmy, having morality tales about how Communism is BAD, Jesus is The Best, and don't trust those dirty foreign types, was an easy way to placate middle class America and make a buck. So it's less "there's a big market" and more "It's this or nothing".

* See also rock music, television, video games, dungeons and dragons and anything else that old people don't like.
** This is not an accurate list, as I am doing this all from memory, but if you are interested, look up Comics Code Authority and see what the rules really were.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Waiting on dat /fit/ comic.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Those kind of strips seem like tailor made arguments against prayer. Just make a companion comic that shows nothing happening after the prayer, and ask readers what matches their experience.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Domus posted:

Those kind of strips seem like tailor made arguments against prayer. Just make a companion comic that shows nothing happening after the prayer, and ask readers what matches their experience.

Those comics have taught me that God is a vending machine. You put prayers in and good poo poo you like comes out. If God doesn't answer your prayers it's probably because you're trying a ratty old dollar or didn't use exact change.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Those comics have taught me that God is a vending machine. You put prayers in and good poo poo you like comes out. If God doesn't answer your prayers it's probably because you're trying a ratty old dollar or didn't use exact change.

Yep, and your position in life depends on when God did the vending machine move and your soul flopped out; a few moments earlier or later, and you could have been a communist, or feeble-minded, or Euro-trash.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I want to see a Megg, Mogg & Daisy Owl mash-up.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
A comic where Owl isn't a garbage person, or one where MM&O Owl has kids?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

RaspberryCommie posted:

:pwn:

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Happy Almost New Year! Here's my favorite Branson Reese comic: https://twitter.com/bransonreese/status/854907577989312514?s=19

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh man, I haven't posted any Swan Boy for a while

https://swanboy.com/

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Gromit posted:

I want to see a MM&O mash-up with those Christian comics.

Grandpa, I don't think you quite get the point of quitting smoking.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

this is probably my favorite swan boy

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Esplanade posted:

I want to see a MM&O mash-up with those Christian comics.

Oglaf doing MM&O.

They'd gently caress soooooooooooo much.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
https://twitter.com/fuzzt0ne/status/1077699126182043648?s=19

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Gromit posted:

Here's a :birddrugs:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

That third panel is pretty much my reaction too

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
“Ear defenders”?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

AlbieQuirky posted:

“Ear defenders”?

perhaps foxdad is translated from some language where ear-defenders is the normal word for earmuffs?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

The elusive double beat panel!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Besesoth posted:

The elusive double beat panel!

:hai: agree

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Krankenstyle posted:

perhaps foxdad is translated from some language where ear-defenders is the normal word for earmuffs?

Actually I think they're those industrial ear protectors that are used on construction sites.

Doesn't change the fact that Foxdad is really mundanely odd.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

I hoped you would :glomp:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Actually I think they're those industrial ear protectors that are used on construction sites.

Doesn't change the fact that Foxdad is really mundanely odd.

exactly, industrial ear protectors — we all know like 3 different words in our own languages but here is yet another example of english just not being up to muster. wheres the connection. why isnt the word earprotector?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Gotta admit, they've got the fursuit eyes down, that unfocused stare.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

RaspberryCommie posted:

A comic where either Owl is Daisy Owl's dad in their art style, or Daisy Owl and her brother go to stay with their dad in MM&O in all of that artistic glory.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Krankenstyle posted:

exactly, industrial ear protectors — we all know like 3 different words in our own languages but here is yet another example of english just not being up to muster. wheres the connection. why isnt the word earprotector?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hmxEf-2-MU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

trapped mouse posted:

this is probably my favorite swan boy

I'd have to put my vote for Swanboy during the crucifixion.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

lofi posted:

Gotta admit, they've got the fursuit eyes down, that unfocused stare.

Nobody has every been able to figure out if that comic is earnestly pro-furry or is a send-up of them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Moon Slayer posted:

Nobody has every been able to figure out if that comic is earnestly pro-furry or is a send-up of them.

I'm gonna split the difference on it being furries making fun of themselves. It does happen.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Samovar posted:

I'd have to put my vote for Swanboy during the crucifixion.

The one by Chris Hastings is perfect: https://swanboy.com/comic/268/

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

Big enough. There was a huge movement in the 50's that (almost) all comic books were evil and used as a means of "Seduction of the Innocent", corrupting and warping the minds of the youth to act out and rebel*. Some dingbat psychologist along with an army of meddling over-reactors drew up a list of rules to assure that the contents of comic books were of high moral standard. Basically this list of rules had things that you would kind of expect (No sex, no drug use, the villain had to lose**, etc.) and comic publishers at the time either changed to fit these rules or closed up shop.

So, in a time where you wanted to sell comics and get moms and dads to buy them for little Jimmy, having morality tales about how Communism is BAD, Jesus is The Best, and don't trust those dirty foreign types, was an easy way to placate middle class America and make a buck. So it's less "there's a big market" and more "It's this or nothing".

* See also rock music, television, video games, dungeons and dragons and anything else that old people don't like.
** This is not an accurate list, as I am doing this all from memory, but if you are interested, look up Comics Code Authority and see what the rules really were.

This is mostly false. There was a book written by a Psychologist about how kids shouldn't read most comics: This was true. At the time the biggest comics publisher in business was EC Comics who made their money on horror and crime anthologies and Twilight-Zone esque sci-fi stories. This was legit not meant for little Timmy. Wertham (the psych) wanted a ratings system and some content controls to help keep kids from buying comics about serial killers which is pretty reasonable. The issue is that DC Comics got involved. See, DC was EC's main competition, but DC was losing hard. DC also mostly made child-friendly superhero and adventure comics. DC also has a long history of trying to kill or incorporate their competition.

DC helped set up the Comics Code specifically to try and drive EC out of business. It worked. EC Comics died, DC ruled the roost. Then of course Marvel came it with stories that juuuuuust skirted the lines of the Code and started murdering DC all over again.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
waiting with bated breath for the inevitable "dragon dragon"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS