Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

SEND IT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Let's send this little bro on an adventure.

i love it

i love this hedgehog

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Let's send this little bro on an adventure.

so very blessed

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/41Strange/status/1078179051368460293

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
https://i.imgur.com/9EnrUCL.mp4

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Dogs are truly blessed beings

:kimchi:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/HulkHogan/status/1078490908562202626?s=19

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Solar Tornado posted:

Pretty sure that's Dionysus

Last one is Ghost of Xmas Present

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

naem posted:

there is always a lot of crossover where basic supernatural being concepts exist in separate cultures and they sometimes blur together when those cultures interact

for example “alcohol guy” is a popular deity type and several different alcohol-guys are depicted in the same painting, or sometimes it’s one guy with several traits of several similar characters

early christianity took advantage of this when converting people and did paintings of “saints” and gave them recognizable traits from pagan memes to copy/paste and erase paganism

Santa Claus is a weird thing where an actual christian saint was copy-pasted onto a winter/harvest festival type thing (in an attempt to replace it), but then morphed halfway back into a pagan figure again through sheer cultural stubbornness (he’s like a magic elf adopted human? who gives gifts like saint Nicolas?), and then grafted back onto christmas, partly because of how popular the pagan-elf-feast-day-thing was in northern europe

Christians were eventually just like “yep that’s him, saint nicolas the, magic elf hybrid who gives gifts and flies, down your chimney, when you decorate you house like a pagan yep ok fine we give up”

I like this post

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I've spent way too much time mocking nazis on twitter. Completely read that "HH" wrong.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
https://i.imgur.com/CKMddCU.mp4

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

naem posted:

there is always a lot of crossover where basic supernatural being concepts exist in separate cultures and they sometimes blur together when those cultures interact

for example “alcohol guy” is a popular deity type and several different alcohol-guys are depicted in the same painting, or sometimes it’s one guy with several traits of several similar characters

early christianity took advantage of this when converting people and did paintings of “saints” and gave them recognizable traits from pagan memes to copy/paste and erase paganism

Santa Claus is a weird thing where an actual christian saint was copy-pasted onto a winter/harvest festival type thing (in an attempt to replace it), but then morphed halfway back into a pagan figure again through sheer cultural stubbornness (he’s like a magic elf adopted human? who gives gifts like saint Nicolas?), and then grafted back onto christmas, partly because of how popular the pagan-elf-feast-day-thing was in northern europe

Christians were eventually just like “yep that’s him, saint nicolas the, magic elf hybrid who gives gifts and flies, down your chimney, when you decorate you house like a pagan yep ok fine we give up”

With organized religion in the US on its death knell, when do we get to start up legit alcohol guy cults again?

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

DrPossum posted:

With organized religion in the US on its death knell, when do we get to start up legit alcohol guy cults again?

Now, please?

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I've spent way too much time mocking nazis on twitter. Completely read that "HH" wrong.

He's probably a Nazi so you don't really need to worry about reading it wrong.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DrPossum posted:

Be the change you want to see in the world.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
:love: I love you, blessed thread.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
https://i.imgur.com/265060M.mp4

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Can't remember if this was posted in here, but the two greatest heroes of our time gave us the warning, but we didn't listen. :911:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLkeUmgY1cc

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Can't remember if this was posted in here, but the two greatest heroes of our time gave us the warning, but we didn't listen. :911:

This is the best thing humanity has ever created

I can taste the cocaine and steroids through my monitor

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

This post does alot to improve the Hulksters image in my book.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I work in a chemical warehouse and the company Evonik has the product Tego Foamex 1488. And I feel the same way.

Of course it doesn't help that if you visit their website they've got this lovely little snippet about a company they absorbed at some point:

quote:

Zyklon B, the poison gas used in the death chambers as of September 1941, had been developed in the World War for delousing soldiers' quarters, for example. In 1922, the Degussa subsidiary Degesch – Deutsche Gesellschaft für Schädlingsbekämpfung – acquired a process that made it possible to retain the gas in cotton wool-like pellets. As soon as these came into contact with air, the end product Zyklon B was released. Here again, it cannot be proved that Degussa directors were aware that the product was being used for mass extermination purposes in the concentration camps. After the war, Dr. Gerhard Peters, who was director of Degesch from 1939 on, was sentenced to prison but later acquitted in a 1955 retrial. The directors of the erstwhile Degussa and other predecessors of the present-day companies were never charged, and they have always denied knowledge of the Nazi crimes.

quote:

The pesticide Zyklon B was used between 1939 and 1945 primarily for gassing military accommodation and supplies, uniforms, vehicles and ships, or for pest control in forced laborers’ barracks. At the same time, however, the SS misused 1 percent of the manufactured quantities of this substance to kill approximately one million people

Which makes me wonder if that was intentional

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The misuse of their poison to kill 1 million people sure was a big ol' blunder! Those dopey SS dingbats sure do have egg on their face!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Solice Kirsk posted:

The misuse of their poison to kill 1 million people sure was a big ol' blunder! Those dopey SS dingbats sure do have egg on their face!

Yeah they really undersell it don't they?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
how the gently caress do you use an amount of stuff that can kill 100 million people? Like what the gently caress are you fumigating??

someone run the numbers and see what how many people could be killed for 1% of bug spray produced

according to my fake calculations i did just now it would take an insane amount of DDT to kill a person, like eating a couple kg or something. But before it was banned they were making like 30 million kg a year so I dunno. That seems like a fuckload of poison to be throwing around. Maybe rat poison would have been a better pick for comparison.

ps "forced laborers" instead of "slaves"
still think it's stupid people get charged with "human trafficking" instead of "slave trading"

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This is cursed as hell because I can't tell if the people in the comments are mentally ill or trolling anymore.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SniperWoreConverse posted:

ps "forced laborers" instead of "slaves"
still think it's stupid people get charged with "human trafficking" instead of "slave trading"

isn't slavery charged as "wrongful imprisonment"?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

hemale in pain posted:

This is cursed as hell because I can't tell if the people in the comments are mentally ill or trolling anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKECiyIsq3I

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
dunno that nxm cult guy got trafficking and they were sex slaves and within the cult were described as slaves

there was a case in ny where some riches kept servants and stole their passports and hosed them all up with beatings and poo poo and never payed them and they got trafficking instead of charged with enslavement

I think false imprisonment isn't the same but you could get both that and trafficking charges. Probably human traffickers are nearly exactly the same as slavers and i'd like to know what the legal distinction is

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

SniperWoreConverse posted:

dunno that nxm cult guy got trafficking and they were sex slaves and within the cult were described as slaves

there was a case in ny where some riches kept servants and stole their passports and hosed them all up with beatings and poo poo and never payed them and they got trafficking instead of charged with enslavement

I think false imprisonment isn't the same but you could get both that and trafficking charges. Probably human traffickers are nearly exactly the same as slavers and i'd like to know what the legal distinction is

I worked in the anti-Trafficking field for three years and can share a perspective here.

Trafficking and Forced Labor are the modern legal terms that are broader than just slavery. Slavery is usually much more strictly defined as someone with no freedom who is owned by another.

Forced Labor, Debt Bondage, Bonded Labor, and other forms of "modern day slavery" are much broader and include situations where the individual has some freedom of movement but is unduly influenced and controlled through another means. It depends on the country and the situation on how extreme some of these cases are. True permanent "I own you" slavery isn't most of what's going on these days but debt bondage schemes are the majority. I'll give a few examples:

Debt Bondage

Worker from Burma signed up with a labor agency to come work in Thailand at a factory. The labor agency charges the worker 10000 of a currency for the transit and relocation to Thailand. The worker will pay the agency back over 1 year. The worker can only stay in the country if they work at the factory they were assigned to. If they break the contract, they forfeit all wages and still have to pay the agency back the labor fee. The only way they can break the contract is to pay the agency in advance. Worker makes 1000 of a currency per month. 800 of that currency is deducted by the factory per month for housing, food, and uniforms. At this rate, it would take the worker at least 50 months to pay the debt back therefore the worker is effectively bonded into working for 4 years. This is a coercive practice that is considered forced labor because the worker has to work for X period of time and may or may not ever be able to pay off a debt.

This is actually legal in many countries (Thailand, Indonesia, etc.).

Forced Labor Trafficking + Debt Bondage

Worker from Burma is trying to sneak out of the county to go somewhere else to live and work. He is captured by pirates off the coast, put in a cage, and brought to Thailand where he is forced to work on a boat until he earns 10000 of a currency. He receives 1000 of a currency per month but 800 is deduced by the boat for housing, food, and uniforms per month. At this rate, he is bonded for 4 years. This is a Forced Labor + Bondage situation. This is far worse than the above because it involves actual kidnapping and would be charged under different laws.

This is mostly illegal in most places.

There are a lot less severe cases of all of the above and some that are very difficult to determine if they are bonded labor or a legitimate migrant labor arrangement. I can provide a lot more detail of all of it in dozens of countries around the world but that's a very, very long post and this also probably isn't the right thread for it.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 29, 2018

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Lawlicaust posted:

I worked in the anti-Trafficking field for three years and can share a perspective here.

Trafficking and Forced Labor are the modern legal terms that are broader than just slavery. Slavery is usually much more strictly defined as someone with no freedom who is owned by another.

Forced Labor, Debt Bondage, Bonded Labor, and other forms of "modern day slavery" are much broader and include situations where the individual has some freedom of movement but is unduly influenced and controlled through another means. It depends on the country and the situation on how extreme some of these cases are. True permanent "I own you" slavery isn't most of what's going on these days but debt bondage schemes are the majority. I'll give a few examples:

Debt Bondage

Worker from Burma signed up with a labor agency to come work in Thailand at a factory. The labor agency charges the worker 10000 of a currency for the transit and relocation to Thailand. The worker will pay the agency back over 1 year. The worker can only stay in the country if they work at the factory they were assigned to. If they break the contract, they forfeit all wages and still have to pay the agency back the labor fee. The only way they can break the contract is to pay the agency in advance. Worker makes 1000 of a currency per month. 800 of that currency is deducted by the factory per month for housing, food, and uniforms. At this rate, it would take the worker at least 50 months to pay the debt back therefore the worker is effectively bonded into working for 4 years. This is a coercive practice that is considered forced labor because the worker has to work for X period of time and may or may not ever be able to pay off a debt.

Worker from Burma is trying to sneak out of the county to go somewhere else to live and work. He is captured by pirates off the coast, put in a cage, and brought to Thailand where he is forced to work on a boat until he earns 10000 of a currency. He receives 1000 of a currency per month but 800 is deduced by the boat for housing, food, and uniforms per month. At this rate, he is bonded for 4 years. This is a Forced Labor + Bondage situation. This is far worse than the above because it involves actual kidnapping and would be charged under different laws.

There are a lot less severe cases of all of the above and some that are very difficult to determine if they are bonded labor or a legitimate migrant labor arrangement. I can provide a lot more detail of all of it in dozens of countries around the world but that's a very, very long post and this also probably isn't the right thread for it.

please link your ama

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Lawlicaust posted:

Debt Bondage

The top situation doesn’t sound much different than things like the government paying for an education and then forcing you to work for the military for a number of years after.

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015

Day Man posted:

The top situation doesn’t sound much different than things like the government paying for an education and then forcing you to work for the military for a number of years after.

drat, if u think about it....we're all just slaves to debt.....I'm 13 and this is deep

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

jemand fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 29, 2018

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TeRhdsmtEE

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

lmao

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Day Man posted:

Yeah, there's definitely a spectrum of debt bondage and that's why lots of things that are close to it aren't illegal. At one end is what you said, someone pays for education, transit, etc. You voluntarily enter into a repayment play. On the other end of the spectrum is really predatory poo poo that makes people work for 20 years for little to no pay, live at the factory, and have literally no way to get out of it without getting deported. Adjudicating debt bondage cases was always very difficult and we would need to assess:

• what were the laws of the country in question?
  • how long would it take the person to get out of debt?
  • what were the consequences for forfeiting?
  • where did they live
  • were they required to live there?
  • what were the living conditions like?
  • what did they do during their free time if they had any?
  • was their movement restricted in any way?
  • was there a pattern to the workers age, ethinicity, gender?
  • how much did they know about their agreement?
  • did they have a copy of their agreement?

And a few dozen other factors depending on the country. It was a very interesting but horribly depressing 3 years.

Edit: Quoted the wrong post.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 29, 2018

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
https://i.imgur.com/GHyKYZY.mp4

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

With sound it's even more clear what a good boy this doggo is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LCj64JfYSA

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/VamonosLA/status/1079089868976746496

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1078297773768871937?s=19

#HAAS