Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

LinYutang posted:

Jewish domination of the slave trade is an anti-Semitic trope.

watto is not a slave trader

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nebalebadingdong posted:

This is true, we see zero indication that he is a slave trader, unless he considers people to be junk. :v: He has bought Shmi and Anakin, but that's about it that we are aware of. Not sure if he owned people before that.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It's funny because I only ever saw Watto as a junkyard owner, so I immediately associated him with Fred Sanford.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JJz6zOkYrM

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

I said come in! posted:

This is true, we see zero indication that he is a slave trader, unless he considers people to be junk. :v: He has bought Shmi and Anakin, but that's about it that we are aware of. Not sure if he owned people before that.

apparently he won them through gambling on pod races

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o4F_YvknQg

the "jewish domination of the slave trade" thing is blaming Jews for running the European slave trade as a whole. its not relevant here

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

ruddiger posted:

It's funny because I only ever saw Watto as a junkyard owner, so I immediately associated him with Fred Sanford.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JJz6zOkYrM

I never knew until this moment that I need a full John Williams orchestra version of the Sanford and Son theme.

The closest I'll get is that one ep of 30 Rock

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Nebalebadingdong posted:

The drat blue flying moth is misunderstood.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

And would like to add my quote is now a thread title. Great honor. Thank you. Seriously.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Colostomy Bag posted:

The drat blue flying moth is misunderstood.

hey now, dont misrepresent me

Nebalebadingdong posted:

If Watto got killed by a slave, that would be Extremely Good

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

sassassin posted:

"His family/the estate owned the slaves, not him!" is a shameful technicality to fall back on.

Luke is very young at the beginning of the film, and has possibly been a minor until very recently. He's chafing to leave, and of all the people in all the movies he's probably the one person, besides maybe his father, who treats droids with anything approaching due respect for personhood.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

ruddiger posted:

You're being willfully blind to the fact that a lot of the racial stereotypes being attributed to Watto are easily mapped to other minorities besides people of Jewish descent. Hell, someone just pointed out that Watto's stereotypes read as more Italian than Jewish and your defensive response is to say "no, he's really a reflection of Jewish stereotypes!" instead of taking a step back and realizing the fundamental truth of racism is the othering of ALL minorities with the same set of superficialities.

Someone can easily alter that Watto drawing into any number of stereotypes. Give him a bandolier and gold tooth and he's a racist bandito, draw an undershirt on him and give him a gold cross and suddenly he's an Italian stereotype. I get that racism is disgusting and can give you a complex about your cultural identity, but the racists job is to make those stereotypes "true" in that they WANT us to believe these stereotypes about us, to deflect from their own cultural insecurities.

It's an easy trap to fall into, and one of the main reasons people call Jar Jar a racist depiction of a minority while hailing the minorities in TLJ who have been stripped of their cultural identity and all speak with a flat American accent.

I don't intend to suggest there isn't the same capacity for stereotyping other minorities in Watto, that's the opposite of my intention, that a multiplicity of readings are entirely possible from Watto's design, especially harmful ones. If I've suggested otherwise that's not right and I definitely retract it. For what it's worth, Watto is most obviously an Orientalist stereotype, being that owning slaves is not a stereotype of Jewish people, but definitely one for most racist depictions of Arabs, especially merchants. Consider the setting of Tatooine, it's Orientalism central

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

You could argue that Luke impressed R2 into serving on his X-Wing, but it's likely that R2 consented to it, since he's totally on board with the Rebellion.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

R2 was a rebel agent voluntarily for years prior to joining up with Luke. 3PO was willing to give it all up for a life of programming vaporators on a farm but R2 insisted on completing the mission Bail gave him.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

J_RBG posted:

I don't intend to suggest there isn't the same capacity for stereotyping other minorities in Watto, that's the opposite of my intention, that a multiplicity of readings are entirely possible from Watto's design, especially harmful ones. If I've suggested otherwise that's not right and I definitely retract it. For what it's worth, Watto is most obviously an Orientalist stereotype, being that owning slaves is not a stereotype of Jewish people, but definitely one for most racist depictions of Arabs, especially merchants. Consider the setting of Tatooine, it's Orientalism central

watto is literally every stereotype by this point :v:

I'm not dismissing the "Tatooine = Orientalism" thing but it demands some kind of evidence or example or something

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Lucas is definitely piggy backing off of Lawrence of Arabia hard with the visual cues (and Jar Jar's species is a direct callback to Gunga Din), but I don't believe the intent is to make 1:1 racist stereotypes, but to use those preconceived notions as a juxtaposition to the rot that's permeated the "cultured" inner worlds the Jedi hail from.

The Jedi think of themselves as heroes yet they show up in a foreign land, insult the native population, lie and cheat the local businesses, and ignore the plight of the slave literally begging them to help free his mother.

If the prequels came out now, white racists would cry foul over "reverse racism" for daring to show the callousness of the first world imperialists in regards to the Jedi.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 28, 2018

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Watto is just broadly and non-specifically "ethnic".

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

You guys are still talking about Watto?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyJNEZPm-pQ

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

ruddiger posted:

Lucas is definitely piggy backing off of Lawrence of Arabia hard with the visual cues (and Jar Jar's species is a direct callback to Gunga Din), but I don't believe the intent is to make 1:1 racist stereotypes, but to use those preconceived notions as a juxtaposition to the rot that's permeated the "cultured" inner worlds the Jedi hail from.

The Jedi think of themselves as heroes yet they show up in a foreign land, insult the native population, lie and cheat the local businesses, and ignore the plight of the slave literally begging them to help free his mother.

If the prequels came out now, white racists would cry foul over "reverse racism" for daring to show the callousness of the first world imperialists in regards to the Jedi.

There's the slave dancers and the domed desert buildings, too. But there's also native white farmers and in A New Hope a fat white dude yells out "We don't serve their kind", which recalls American segregation

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

So if everyone on Jakkooine is a slave/slaver, does that mean there's Krayt Dragon Slavers?

What's their business model like?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

General Dog posted:

Watto is just broadly and non-specifically "ethnic".

Right and so like Rud says, the effect is that by mixing all these “foreign” characteristics you ask how weird someone can be before you start finding them unpleasant to watch

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Nebalebadingdong posted:

There's the slave dancers and the domed desert buildings, too. But there's also native white farmers and in A New Hope a fat white dude yells out "We don't serve their kind", which recalls American segregation

The plantation owners who buy slaves aren't natives.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Luke Skywalker is literally Ian Smith.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

sassassin posted:

The plantation owners who buy slaves aren't natives.

True, native is not the right word here. They dont seem like settlers backed up by a colonizing state tho

DeimosRising posted:

Right and so like Rud says, the effect is that by mixing all these “foreign” characteristics you ask how weird someone can be before you start finding them unpleasant to watch

who the hell is weirded out by watto

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Watto's a digusting blue bug man.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
The Lars household is rhodesian

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

who the hell is weirded out by watto

I am.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Nebalebadingdong posted:

the "jewish domination of the slave trade" thing is blaming Jews for running the European slave trade as a whole. its not relevant here

Racist stereotyping rarely follows logical patterns, especially with how anti-Semitism has historically been expressed.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It really speaks to how rich the text is that we can spend a full three pages talking about Watto. Imagine spending three pages discussing Unkar Plut, or even Maz Kanata.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Unkar Plutt has a shed full of salvaged "World's Greatest Dad" mugs in the same lot where he has Han's old truck up on cinder blocks

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Remember when Maz adjusted her glasses?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Actually I take it back, Maz actually is kind of interesting. It's pretty audacious to have a character that's basically "what if we had someone who was superficially similar to Yoda, but actually knew nothing and only ever gave bad advice"

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

General Dog posted:

It really speaks to how rich the text is that we can spend a full three pages talking about Watto

It’s more debating if noted dullard Lucas made Watto racist accidentally or on purpose

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

General Dog posted:

Remember when Maz adjusted her glasses?

Remember in the Last Jedi when Maz, friend of our heroes, hires the space Pinkertons to kill union workers?

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

General Dog posted:

It really speaks to how rich the text is that we can spend a full three pages talking about Watto. Imagine spending three pages discussing Unkar Plut, or even Maz Kanata.

Give it a few more years and I'm sure we will see contrarians asserting that the sequel trilogy is great art.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

General Dog posted:

Actually I take it back, Maz actually is kind of interesting. It's pretty audacious to have a character that's basically "what if we had someone who was superficially similar to Yoda, but actually knew nothing and only ever gave bad advice"

Seems tautologous.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

General Dog posted:

Uhhhhh. Yoda gives a lot of terrible advice.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

This Vader fan film fukken sucks

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

LinYutang posted:

Racist stereotyping rarely follows logical patterns, especially with how anti-Semitism has historically been expressed.

which characteristics are you referring to? the slave trade thing is not in the movie. no one can even agree on what stereotype he's supposed to be. apparently he's an Arab now

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yoda said things that were correct but not helpful. Letting go of attachments would absolutely have fixed the dilemmas of both Skywalkers as they understood them, and either prevented the Emperor from coming to power or resulted in his being overthrown.

In that sense, both he and Maz had a fundamental misunderstanding of the nature of the conflict. But Yoda had hubris and was punished for it and learned from it taught valuable lessons to his pupils despite everything - he is a dynamic and multifaceted character who is credible as a wise mentor. Maz, meanwhile, is just flatly wrong and nothing ever comes of that wrongness.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The first few minutes showed promise. Like a neat little fan exorcise in diverging the canon with some decent visuals for a fan film. But it kept going and going and everything looked and got lamer.

Seriously, palps room is disgraceful. It’s so small, and he has Snoke’s chair for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Zoran posted:

Remember in the Last Jedi when Maz, friend of our heroes, hires the space Pinkertons to kill union workers?

This is exactly where TLJ lost me forever and why I pray for the failure of the franchise.