Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

So more murky, diving into my unofficial academic requirements report it looks like only lower level gen ed classes require a C or better (I had some classes that didn't count as a transfer because they were a C-). For my major/department you need a 2.5 average GPA on all classes of which I'm above a 3.0 overall so maybe I'll be fine with a C- in this class? It doesn't list a specific letter grade requirement for any individual class for courses in the major.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

There was a good entertaining thread on reddit about all that and how to know when you know your professor is garbage, personal experiences etc

“___% of you WILL fail this class!!”

I just don’t get it

Found it!

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/a25p37/what_are_some_red_flags_from_teachers_that_shout/?st=JQ7LOYME&sh=678bda21

quote:

“I don’t have time to answer all of your questions”

“Stop complaining about how hard the material is, you’re all adults and can figure it out”

“Don’t ever complain about any of your professors until you do their evaluations at the end of the semester”.... what?

“I did the exam I’m about to give you and it only took me 10 minutes so it’s easy” - First of all you’re an expert in this field and the class average was a D.

quote:

"I don't believe in giving A's because I believe no one is perfect"

ok well the rest of academia has to follow the same GPA scale, including many of these kid's scholarship requirements and entrance to major requirements. Professors shouldn't get to artificially gently caress with that because they don't believe in it.

quote:

I had a professor who's "A" grade started at 96. 96. "B" started at 91. She started off the class by gloating that she took pride in lowering high GPAs. Like a slightly more psychopathic version of the professors that say, "Most of you will fail my class." She didn't want students to fail, she just wanted to gently caress with their self-esteem. She was a psychology professor, and I don't remember her name on purpose.

quote:

"Don't expect to pass this class"

You're just a lovely instructor, then

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I had a speech teacher who was a real blast.

"I will refuse to sign any drop papers, I will not let you drop the class"
-Not true at all. I think we lost 4 people at a minimum. Also think administration might have had something to say about her policy.

"You are not allowed to do unethical speach topics. For instance I'm Catholic, so you can't talk about abortion"
That was the only example given of what an "unethical speech topic" was.

She was a short fat woman who wore loud clothes. Her husband was a doctor in my guard wing so there was incentive there not to fight with her. She also wouldn't shut up about how much she hated Obama.

My mom took the class a year later and got to see what a loony bitch she was.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 28, 2018

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

^^ :wtf: so glad I haven't had to take classes in rural Minnesota/Wisconsin. If anything all of my crazy professors were probably actual Marxists, especially the fun/crazy old lady who I took my intro Poli Sci classes from.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

lmao it’s a loving speech class good grief

I actually went all millennial and wrote a polite nastygram essay to one of my professors who was right on the cusp of being all of the above. He was a nice dude, but just didn’t seem to care if anyone passed. He said he was a psychologist and as such open to any and all criticism on the online boards so I just let it flow on a post. A lot of classmates said they agreed with everything I said. He was all about “understanding the material and concepts” but seemed to focus the class around memorization and regurgitating info...which is what he said he wasn’t about. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 28, 2018

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

^^ :wtf: so glad I haven't had to take classes in rural Minnesota/Wisconsin. If anything all of my crazy professors were probably actual Marxists, especially the fun/crazy old lady who I took my intro Poli Sci classes from.
Wasn't even a rural school. From what I gathered whoever was teaching before left abruptly and needed to be replaced quickly.

Lets Get Patchy
Aug 8, 2006

DoktorLoken posted:

My American Novels and Pop Culture writing intensive Professor was unapologetically Marxists and it was the most informative/fun classes I've taken, despite the horrific writing requirements. Dude was so interesting to listen to and promoted some great discussions. I loved going to that class.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

“___% of you WILL fail this class!!”

Oh hey every introduction to Army schools.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

DoktorLoken posted:

So more murky, diving into my unofficial academic requirements report it looks like only lower level gen ed classes require a C or better (I had some classes that didn't count as a transfer because they were a C-). For my major/department you need a 2.5 average GPA on all classes of which I'm above a 3.0 overall so maybe I'll be fine with a C- in this class? It doesn't list a specific letter grade requirement for any individual class for courses in the major.

Oh this isn't one of your major classes? Then yeah you should only need a D. The only classes I needed a C for were my core Civ Eng classes.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Soulex posted:

Oh hey every introduction to Army schools.

Every military instruction I ever had passed 100% or as close to as to be the same.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Alright, I'm sick of the ambiguity regarding grades at my school and I've decided to contest one of my grades.

This guy's syllabus says 35% of the grade is determined by attendance and participation. I missed the first class because I wasn't enrolled in the class yet, so he counted that against me, losing attendance/participation for the day. Then my wife gave birth to our son, so he counted me out for that day as well.

The thing is-everything else I aced or assume I aced. The mid-term I got a 98% on, the grading criteria for the final exam was essentially 'fill this book out with everything you learned this semester', so I don't see how I could have gotten anything less than a 100% on that since it was such a lax criteria, and he said I gave the best presentation in the class. So if you factor everything into his grading system, even counting those two absences against me, I get a 94% in the class, but he gave me a B+.

I asked him about it via e-mail over the winter break, and he said I missed some classes and that's why it's impossible for me to get an A in the class. I explained my math to him and how it didn't work in accordance with his syllabus, and he just quoted his earlier e-mail to me, saying I missed two classes so I can't get an A.

Professors around here seem to throw random grades around and I'm sick of it. There's some finance and math-geared classes where the instructor actually applies a reasonable curve and explains how they reached the grades that everyone got, but this guy gave us feedback on only the mid-term assignment-everything else I've had to pull out of him and his answers still aren't sufficient, so I'm calling him out on it.

Next step is the chairperson of the accounting department and I've sent him an e-mail, so we'll see where this goes. It's not as drastic as failing a class when I thought I had passed it, but when the guy can't even explain the numbers around why I am receiving a certain grade, it doesn't make sense that should be allowed to happen.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Oh this isn't one of your major classes? Then yeah you should only need a D. The only classes I needed a C for were my core Civ Eng classes.

Nah, this is a major class but under my academic requirements report it lists only a 2.5 GPA in the major, individual classes only need to be "completed", whatever definition they use there.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 28, 2018

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Whew. Grade got curved this morning after I e-mailed the professor. Took me from a C- to a C+ for the semester. I'll take it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

Whew. Grade got curved this morning after I e-mailed the professor. Took me from a C- to a C+ for the semester. I'll take it.
What course was this?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

A mixed graduate/undergrad upper level GIS course.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

A mixed graduate/undergrad upper level GIS course.
I mean was it remote sensing or stats or what?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Mostly stats heavy stuff with spatial analysis.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ah yeah, racial dialysis, uh... tough stuff.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?
Last fall I had a Technical Math teacher who was absolute garbage.

This was a 100 class that runs the gambit from Geometry / Algebra 2 to Pre Calc in one semester, and has no prereqs. Which means that there are a LOT of people who have not seen any of this before.

So, your average professor will give you a week in Algebra / Geometry to get the gears turning and knock the rust off, Not this guy.
Day 1 at 9 am we were going balls deep into Trig.
Day 2 was the first Quiz. Everyone failed.
Week 2, he is working a problem up the board, we are all blindly following the half sheet of Math he is writing, and he fucks up the problem on Step 2.
When I notice the problem before the Professor, poo poo is in trouble. So I went to the Dean.
About half way through the semester, I ended up threatening to burn the math building down to get the rest of the class to sign a letter to the accreditation board. I ended up getting moved to another professor with my study partner, where I did the full semester's work in half a semester. I affectionately refer to this as that one time I hatefucked my way through Math.
My study partner couldn't hang and dropped the class. Everyone else from that class failed outright.

Been there, done that. Be the pain in the rear end. Fight the School over douche-bag professors. Threats of letters to the Accreditation Board with substantial evidence do wonders.
As always, keep receipts for Everything. If a Professor will not let you take audio of a lecture, drop that poo poo like a Hot potato.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

SquirrelyPSU posted:

.....D counts after high school?

nwin posted:

Professors around here seem to throw random grades around and I'm sick of it.

I feel ya. I’ve had a few classes like this and it’s pretty frustrating. With an online portal for most classes these days that breaks your grades down I find it helps mitigate this, but not always.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 28, 2018

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

^Outside your major/minor in undergrad it generally is.

DoktorLoken posted:

Mostly stats heavy stuff with spatial analysis.
My advisor taught spatial stats and went way out of her way to make it user friendly. She designed it so it was more or less at your own pace, and would be in the lab all the time to answer questions.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

.....D counts after high school?

I feel ya. I’ve had a few classes like this and it’s pretty frustrating. With an online portal for most classes these days that breaks your grades down I find it helps mitigate this, but not always.

We have an online portal for each class, but many professors (especially part time professors) do not use the online portal to its full ability, if at all.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

^Outside your major/minor in undergrad it generally is.

My advisor taught spatial stats and went way out of her way to make it user friendly. She designed it so it was more or less at your own pace, and would be in the lab all the time to answer questions.

Overall I learned nothing new from this course because of the terrible lecture quality and my general shittiness at math. Professor is a nice guy but he's much more well suited to doing writing and research than he is doing lectures for undergrads.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
I just got a D in my Dynamics class. It sounded like the teacher wasn't prepared to teach it. I knew he was new, he replaced a really popular teacher that retired I think, but he kept whining about how at his old school this class was two semesters and he did not know how he was going to teach it to us. Then he spent the whole semester just doing problems in front of us, in his own method he never really explained well, and it was different from the way the online book taught it. The average on the final was a 50%. The online platform (Canvas) had my final grade at a C but then he decided to reweigh everything and now I have a D. :argh:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

That sounds like my exact situation yesterday. That seems like horseshit to make the grades even lower than they already are.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

My grades posted.

A, A, B, A, C+

I guess I graduated. :toot:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

My grades posted.

A, A, B, A, C+

I guess I graduated. :toot:

Congratulations!

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Iain posted:

I just got a D in my Dynamics class. It sounded like the teacher wasn't prepared to teach it. I knew he was new, he replaced a really popular teacher that retired I think, but he kept whining about how at his old school this class was two semesters and he did not know how he was going to teach it to us. Then he spent the whole semester just doing problems in front of us, in his own method he never really explained well, and it was different from the way the online book taught it. The average on the final was a 50%. The online platform (Canvas) had my final grade at a C but then he decided to reweigh everything and now I have a D. :argh:

I'd contest this. Any time a last-minute weighting change occurs to the detriment of a student it's pretty much bullshit.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did he list out the weights for grades on the syllabus? Seems like if he has it one way on the syllabus, he shouldn't be able to randomly change it later in the semester.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I don't know if the shutdown is doing anything negative VA-wise but I am still seeing the payments go through, shockingly enough.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The VA is unaffected by the shutdown.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I randomly got 600 dollars at the end of December. Not sure why.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Cojawfee posted:

GI Bill?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I get something in the mail yesterday about a Housing Allowance adjustment effective August 1. It didn't say anything about back pay but it was implied.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Maybe that's it. It was from "VAED" so I assume gi bill.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016
I got it too. It is the back payment for BAH increase under Forever GI Bill that they failed to implement. VA also changed credit requirements mid semester so I missed out on two BAH payments. School said that they will backpay but I have not seen it yet.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Hell of a bump up this year.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I wonder when mine will show up. They claim the backpay will hit by end of January, but lol

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
lol forever war GI Bill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Kawasaki Nun posted:

lol forever war GI Bill

God willing