Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

EvilJoven posted:

It's even worse for me now because due to reasons I ended up exiting the white collar world and now work in a bike shop and I feel so disconnected from the normal world idkwtf.

But at least when the revolution comes I might be relatively safe because last I heard bicycle mechanics seldomly get put up against the wall.

all fixie riders will be executed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

Shaka, when the Sears fell

edit: Barnes and Nobles (links hands together) at The Mall

Peanut President has issued a correction as of 02:09 on Dec 28, 2018

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

1988? :confused:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

spacetoaster posted:

It's hilarious when 30 year olds use the term "adulting".

no its sad actually

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

I imagine yesterday's edition involved the horse buggy whip industry's wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

spacetoaster posted:

It's hilarious when 30 year olds use the term "adulting".

Zzulu posted:

no its sad actually

I prefer to think of it as pathetic.

Isn't it enough just to bumble through life like everyone else? Why attach such a stupid label to it?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
thread been cantankerous lately mmhm

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

were just adulting

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

EvilJoven posted:

I'm gonna be 40 in less than a year and own a house. I still feel like a child faking it.

For the first 6 months after my son was born I felt like any minute a real person was gonna show up at my house in a Benz and tailored suit and say "thanks for watching this baby for me while I was away for business. I'll take him off your hands and you can get back to playing with your magic cardboard game with pictures of dragons and wizards on it".

That didn't happen and he's 4 years old now so it's become evident I'm on my own.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

The Nastier Nate posted:

For the first 6 months after my son was born I felt like any minute a real person was gonna show up at my house in a Benz and tailored suit and say "thanks for watching this baby for me while I was away for business. I'll take him off your hands and you can get back to playing with your magic cardboard game with pictures of dragons and wizards on it".

That didn't happen and he's 4 years old now so it's become evident I'm on my own.

:same:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

It's an article written at the beginning of the 1900's, talking about how in future year 1988 those uppity suffragists have taken over government and keep whining about their drat flying machines to the moon

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

this is so anachronistic its making my head hurt

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

It's an article written at the beginning of the 1900's, talking about how in future year 1988 those uppity suffragists have taken over government and keep whining about their drat flying machines to the moon

ohhhhh ok that makes sense

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

That article gave me lots of conflicting feelings, like I'm kinda proud that humanity went to the moon a full 20 years before these guys imagined it would happen, and at the same time I'm incredibly depressed that the bit about halting education is slowly coming true

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Shame Boy posted:

So Edward VIII would still king, at 95 years of age. Given Lizzie's track record, maybe that's not too far-fetched.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Shame Boy posted:

That article gave me lots of conflicting feelings, like I'm kinda proud that humanity went to the moon a full 20 years before these guys imagined it would happen, and at the same time I'm incredibly depressed that the bit about halting education is slowly coming true

Hey man. Ohio is doing what's right and bringing back cursive writing. Education is alive and well :eng101:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Cursive sucks. Did when I was a child in the 80s, still sucks now.

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

Len posted:

Hey man. Ohio is doing what's right and bringing back cursive writing. Education is alive and well :eng101:

why do old dumbs like cursive so much?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Len posted:

Did school systems stop teaching it at some point? I thought they still did solely so you can learn to sign your name properly.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rump buttman posted:

why do old dumbs like cursive so much?

it’s generally faster than printing disconnected letters. I wish my cursive were usably better for just that reason

I am, however, an old dumb

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

I typically connect letters when it’s convenient in my normal handwriting

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Cursive upper case G can lick my goddamn balls

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i am the only computer toucher i know who does cursive handwriting exclusively, including on whiteboard dealios

this without exception sort of throws peeps for a loop

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

I bet however they’re unsurprised when you pull a dick out for lunch and start sucking it off

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I write in cursive if I’m writing something for my own benefit but use print if I’m writing on a whiteboard or somewhere else that other people need to read it. I prefer to write cursive but don’t want to force people to try to read it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Shame Boy posted:

Did school systems stop teaching it at some point? I thought they still did solely so you can learn to sign your name properly.

They stopped years ago depending where you live. I have an 19 year old who was never taught in school in California.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1078693210506121216

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i am the only computer toucher i know who does cursive handwriting exclusively, including on whiteboard dealios

this without exception sort of throws peeps for a loop

:catstare:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
cursive sucks. Learn how to read it and that's enough. I got drilled on that poo poo as a 5th grader like "oohhh in high school people ONLY USE CURSIVE you gotta know this!!!"

then of course in high school no one loving used that poo poo and if you did the teacher would tell you to re-do it because they can't read it

waste of goddamn time. The fractions of a second you "save" throughout your life using it are more than made up for by the time explaining what you just wrote because even if you have perfect handwriting tons of people just can't read it and learning it in the first place.

I imagine most people do some cross of cursive and print anyway. Who really does the letters all perfect and whatnot? Some of those aren't even faster to do than the print version.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Bombadilillo posted:

They stopped years ago depending where you live. I have an 19 year old who was never taught in school in California.

yeah they switched to typing awhile back

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

my 11 year old was taught cursive at a California public school a few years back

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

it’s generally faster than printing disconnected letters. I wish my cursive were usably better for just that reason

I am, however, an old dumb

If I remember right there was a study about that and if you're used to writing disconnected letters and do it all the time (rather than rarely when you can't do something with a computer) there's not really any significant difference between that and cursive writing speed :shrug:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shame Boy posted:

If I remember right there was a study about that and if you're used to writing disconnected letters and do it all the time (rather than rarely when you can't do something with a computer) there's not really any significant difference between that and cursive writing speed :shrug:

I would be very interested to read that. my experience and that of loosely polled friends is that cursive goes a fair bit faster, though I’ll admit I haven’t timed it

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Cursive is tight. Buncha goons itt mad that they'll never be fully literate

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I'm extremely angry about how people write things down.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I’m mad that people write things down at all

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Using cursive is nice because it's prettier. Letters should look good.

Learning cursive is very important for developing fine motor skills, and leaving it out of the curriculum is one contributing factor to kids being so uncoordinated nowadays. Using phones and tablets for everything from the age of 4 is the biggest factor, of course.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
only the bourgeoisie know cursive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

on second consideration without cursive I wouldn't be able to sign my name in the snow with piss, so its got that going