Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I stopoed using cursive after joining the military where you have to write in all caps block lettering, but i knew a mechanic whos log entries looked like a human typewriter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

It's likely some classist poo poo, there's kind of this thing that smart people write cursive and dumb people print. Cursive is a signal you've been well educated, and taking it out of schools means that schools are making kids dumber. Somehow. I'm just speculating from facebook posts of people my age lamenting their kids aren't learning cursive and it means the school is somehow failing them.

Then they complain that they themselves had to do math in school and how dumb that was because they claim they never use it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Learning cursive is very important for developing fine motor skills, and leaving it out of the curriculum is one contributing factor to kids being so uncoordinated nowadays. Using phones and tablets for everything from the age of 4 is the biggest factor, of course.

citation needed

quote:

“There is no conclusive evidence that there is a benefit for learning cursive for a child’s cognitive development,” says Karin Harman James, an associate professor in the Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences at Indiana University, who studies early brain development as a function of learning experiences.

James cautions that the issue is difficult to study because it’s hard to find children whose educational situation differs only in the style of handwriting. What’s more, a lot of the “evidence” that does get quoted is rather old and of questionable quality, and some of the findings are contradictory. Simply put, our real understanding of how children respond to different writing styles is surprisingly patchy and woefully inadequate.

maybe let's fund PE again instead actually

quote:

Tests on writing speed have been fairly inconclusive in the past. But one of the best and most recent was conducted in 2013 by Florence Bara, now at the University of Toulouse in France, and Marie-France Morin of the University of Sherbrooke in Canada. They compared writing speeds for French-speaking primary pupils in their respective countries. While cursive is quite rigidly enforced in France, teachers in Canada are more free to decide which style to teach, and when. Some Canadians teach manuscript first and cursive later; some introduce cursive straight away in first grade.

So was cursive faster than manuscript? No, it was slower. But fastest of all was a personalized mixture of cursive and manuscript developed spontaneously by pupils around the fourth to fifth grade. Even in France, a quarter of the French pupils who were taught cursive exclusively and were still mostly using it in the fourth grade, had largely abandoned it for a mixed style by the fifth grade. They had apparently imbibed manuscript style from their reading experience (it more closely resembles print), even without being taught it explicitly.

lol yeah that's about what I expected (like I said earlier, most people just do a mish mash)

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 18:50 on Dec 28, 2018

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

I would be very interested to read that. my experience and that of loosely polled friends is that cursive goes a fair bit faster, though I’ll admit I haven’t timed it

I went googling and found this blurb about it:

quote:

Tests on writing speed have been fairly inconclusive in the past. But one of the best and most recent was conducted in 2013 by Florence Bara, now at the University of Toulouse in France, and Marie-France Morin of the University of Sherbrooke in Canada. They compared writing speeds for French-speaking primary pupils in their respective countries. While cursive is quite rigidly enforced in France, teachers in Canada are more free to decide which style to teach, and when. Some Canadians teach manuscript first and cursive later; some introduce cursive straight away in first grade.

So was cursive faster than manuscript? No, it was slower. But fastest of all was a personalized mixture of cursive and manuscript developed spontaneously by pupils around the fourth to fifth grade. Even in France, a quarter of the French pupils who were taught cursive exclusively and were still mostly using it in the fourth grade, had largely abandoned it for a mixed style by the fifth grade. They had apparently imbibed manuscript style from their reading experience (it more closely resembles print), even without being taught it explicitly.

Around 2013 is about when I remember hearing about this paper so I think it's the same one. The website I grabbed that blurb from unhelpfully didn't provide a link to the paper or even the actual name of the paper, but I think it's this one:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/pits.21691

I think the general conclusion is "you write fastest with whatever the hell writing form you're good at writing fastest with" :shrug:

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moridin920 posted:

citation needed

maybe let's fund PE again instead actually

lol yeah that's about what I expected (like I said earlier, most people just do a mish mash) and I doubt anyone really needs to be drilled on how to perfectly connect letters for days at a time in order to figure out how to just not lift the pen up between certain letters.

PE (But eliminate organised highschool football gently caress that poo poo so loving hard hell eliminate all loving team sports where teenagers are expected to act like pro athletes in everything except pay), Art, Music. That would probably help with thinks like... Well, *everything*

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tashilicious posted:

PE (But eliminate organised highschool football gently caress that poo poo so loving hard hell eliminate all loving team sports where teenagers are expected to act like pro athletes in everything except pay), Art, Music. That would probably help with thinks like... Well, *everything*

You were in the marching band weren't you

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shame Boy posted:

You were in the marching band weren't you

No. We didn't have band or music in my high school. Or any art classes past secondary 1.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Cursive is quickly becoming the fedora of the communication world.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tashilicious posted:

No. We didn't have band or music in my high school. Or any art classes past secondary 1.

How could you not have marching band? Who will play the football team's theme songs as they get on the charter bus rented specifically to take them to state finals while the entire school is required to stop whatever classwork they're doing and come out to see them off :colbert:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Picnic Princess posted:

Cursive is quickly becoming the fedora of the communication world.

𝑀'𝓁𝒶𝒹𝓎

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's loving insane and dumb that we don't fund that kind of stuff anymore though. Testing testing testing get into college academics reeeeeeeeee.

Meanwhile no art, no music, nothing fuckin cool in science classes, no PE, cut it all. Even nicer schools with award winning drama departments get that poo poo cut (Carlsbad High School). Doesn't matter.

Duck bullets, worry about shooters and rapist teachers. 2-3 hours of homework per class per night (this is legit what my teachers said and thought was reasonable!!!).

Then we wonder why kids are acting like PTSD cases lol

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shame Boy posted:

How could you not have marching band? Who will play the football team's theme songs as they get on the charter bus rented specifically to take them to state finals while the entire school is required to stop whatever classwork they're doing and come out to see them off :colbert:

I live in Canada.

We don't spent millions for highschoolers to give each other brain damage.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Tashilicious posted:

I live in Canada.

We don't spent millions for highschoolers to give each other brain damage.

You don't have cheerleaders??

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i went to a magnet school in the heart of the sec and we didn't have a marching band because we didn't have any sports for it

also you could letter in radio or a foreign language

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

EvilJoven posted:

But at least when the revolution comes I might be relatively safe because last I heard bicycle mechanics seldomly get put up against the wall.

Of course, you will be needed to maintain the cycle of vengeance

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Organized team sports are extremely important for children (particularly boys).

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spacetoaster posted:

Yes that brain damage is the only way of turning them into men.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Sport programs also are the number one provider of preemptive corrective rape, and you’ll recall that America is a big supporter of corrective rape

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Tashilicious posted:

do you have any idea how hard it is to not make the obvious joke here

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turtle Sandbox posted:

I stopoed using cursive after joining the military where you have to write in all caps block lettering, but i knew a mechanic whos log entries looked like a human typewriter.

I got good at legibly printing full capitals for the same reason but my personal handwriting was still nightmarish to the point where on slow days people would steal my notebook and attempt to decipher it like hieroglyphs. didn't help that I use a personal shorthand too so even half the letters are straight gibberish

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

So we should ban them then, we really don't need more boys

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

T-man posted:

do you have any idea how hard it is to not make the obvious joke here

If you dont go for the low dangling fruit, why even bother being alive

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Illuyankas posted:

Of course, you will be needed to maintain the cycle of vengeance

:golfclap:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Lots of people had brain damage itt

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

steinrokkan posted:

Lots of people had brain damage itt

It's okay, you can say c-spam mod here.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Shame Boy posted:

I'm fine with boys, so long as they don't go around being boys.

(bois > boys)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Replace football teams with mandatory yoga, tight pants and testosterone blockers so we can finally realize the secret gay agenda dream of the queering of america dammit :argh:

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

Replace football teams with mandatory yoga, tight pants and testosterone blockers so we can finally realize the secret gay agenda dream of the queering of america dammit :argh:

still not as gay as football

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Plank Walker posted:

still not as gay as football

Which football?

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Outrail posted:

Which football?

american football where you dress up in tight pants and pads that make your shoulders look extra broad and then stand behind 5 300 lb dudes bent over and grab a ball from between the middle one's loins

european football is not gay, it teaches you the most straight man tactic of whining and rolling around like a baby whenever you encounter anything remotely close to harming you

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

spacetoaster posted:

And that's why you make them competitive, to deprive the bottom percentiles of kids

Plank Walker posted:

european football is not gay, it teaches you the most straight man tactic of whining and rolling around like a baby whenever you encounter anything remotely close to harming you

Also ball-grabbing

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
make greco/roman wrestling great again by outlawing gridiron

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Tashilicious posted:

I know you're sheltered, but there are lots of sports besides cheerleading.

Shame Boy posted:

You'll be pleased to know we're well on our way!

hackbunny posted:

And that's why you make them competitive, to deprive the bottom percentiles of kids

What exactly qualifies a kid as "bottom percentile"? Also, what are they being deprived of? :allears:

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

the only bottom percentile i'm concerned about is my lovers viral load

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The American fascination with mass audience high school sports is perverse, and another example of how America is poisoning the world. In my school we just played volleyball and soccer in ad hoc teams and it was fun as well as good for us.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Winning, mostly

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

spacetoaster posted:

I know you're sheltered, but there are lots of sports besides cheerleading.

You'll be pleased to know we're well on our way!

What exactly qualifies a kid as "bottom percentile"? Also, what are they being deprived of? :allears:

Lol why are you poting in CSPAM I thought they only let gay communists past the front door

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Subjunctive posted:

I would be very interested to read that. my experience and that of loosely polled friends is that cursive goes a fair bit faster, though I’ll admit I haven’t timed it

In my experience cursive goes significantly faster. Only with my chicken scratch you can't read any of what I wrote so I have to rewrite it all anyway.

When those news articles first dropped the only person in the office who was glad to hear it was the little old lady who got on a rant about how it's about time and she'll be happy when she can write a letter to her grandson and he can read it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Crazycryodude posted:

Lol why are you poting in CSPAM I thought they only let gay communists past the front door

What makes you think I'm not a gay communist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Len posted:

In my experience cursive goes significantly faster. Only with my chicken scratch you can't read any of what I wrote so I have to rewrite it all anyway.

most of my writing is notes for myself that I have to transcribe later, so others being able to read it isn’t a huge deal