Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

bobjr posted:

It’s been stated a lot before but I 100% believe if Medicare for all was called Trumpcare he would be behind it all the way.

The Republican Universal Medical Plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

bobjr posted:

This is probably a dumb question but could he just sit there and not sign it? If he vetoes it could get overruled but is there anything in place if he does that?

I think that's a pocket veto and it doesn't work that way anymore?

In a few days his biggest Ally is Mitch not bringing anything from the House forward to be voted on. The question then is would Mitch still sit on another clean CR.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

bobjr posted:

This is probably a dumb question but could he just sit there and not sign it? If he vetoes it could get overruled but is there anything in place if he does that?

I think this is what you're referring to, but I may be wrong:

quote:

pocket veto - The Constitution grants the president 10 days to review a measure passed by the Congress. If the president has not signed the bill after 10 days, it becomes law without his signature. However, if Congress adjourns during the 10-day period, the bill does not become law.t

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

Petr posted:

White isn't just representing Randazza, he's personal friends with the goblin. His whole "oh I'm one of the GOOD freeze peach guys" thing is 100% an act.

Randazza is the second popehat.com blogger who went full racist, the previous one, Clark, got kicked off for it. Ken White still keeps that guy's name secret iirc

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Shifty Pony posted:

The guy who made the press secretary bot got dinged for making another twitter bot demonstrating that Jack(Twitter founder) was lying about how Twitter's rules are applied. As a result is banned from making any new bots.

He thinks eventually twitter will change something in their systems that will break the press secretary bot and he won't be allowed to fix it.

While twitter is bad, this seems somewhat fishy. Maybe they’ve changed the process to get API access, but as of a year or so ago it was trivial, and there was little barrier to multiple accounts. Not sure what would prevent him from just creating a new account and dumping slightly rebranded bot code into it.

Which isn’t to say that “This is garbage. gently caress Twitter.” isn’t a reasonable reaction.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Is it possible for the President to resign?

Like...can they somehow convince him that is the best thing to do?

I suppose he wants pardon power tho.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

TulliusCicero posted:

Holy poo poo Cursed Book Cover

vaguely related, Convicted war criminal Allen West has a book called American Ronin where he's on a motorbike and also wears two wrist watches for some reason.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Gatts posted:

Yes, that's what Nixon did, rather than waiting out the whole impeachment process. In theory they would lure Trump into it by promising that Pence would pardon him for everything, but the problem is that Trump firmly believes in loving everyone else over as soon as you can, so he probably wouldn't believe Pence would actually keep that promise once he was President, because he wouldn't do that himself. Also it requires him to be able to make a reasonable approximation of the other likely outcomes and pick somewhat rationally, which are not his strong points. Nixon was at least able to do that math.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
This is from pages ago but the story of how Sears died is the most absolutely perfect distilled version of capitalism I've ever seen. No one could write a failure like this as fiction because it would be too absurd. It's pure libertarianism and capitalism at it's absolute perfect which is why is collapsed and failed and died. It truly is a story for the ages.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Gatts posted:

DC has at-will employment, dont see why not

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Gatts posted:

Sure that's what nixon did.

Trump's ego wont allow it. He probably thinks presidents can pardon themselves.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

PhazonLink posted:

vaguely related, Convicted war criminal Allen West has a book called American Ronin where he's on a motorbike and also wears two wrist watches for some reason.

Lmao, I thought it was a dumb ghostwritten fictional thing with a cheesy illustration (and also maybe the dual watches shot out lasers or something), but it's autobiographical and a photograph: https://www.amazon.com/Guardian-Republic-American-Journey-Freedom-ebook/dp/B00FO60EO2

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Useful Distraction posted:

Randazza is the second popehat.com blogger who went full racist, the previous one, Clark, got kicked off for it. Ken White still keeps that guy's name secret iirc

Hm, it's almost like popehat is actually a racist site, and one of them is just better at not shouting it (but still represents nazis)

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

D-Pad posted:

Interesting, I hadn't seen that. They aren't registered as a bank for FDIC, but SPIC covers brokerages in a similar way. That article quotes a non-profit saying Robinhood wouldn't be able to cover under SPIC but then says Robinhood has stated it will be covered. I don't know which to believe, I give the non-profit the benefit of the doubt but I also think Robinhood would have major legal issues if it said it covers and it actually doesn't. Robinhood is also backed by some serious VCs. That being said this is academic for me I'm not planning to give them my money.

I do think this brings up a wider more interesting conversations. There are quite a few SV startup banks that offer a similar service to what Robinhood is trying to do and they are FDIC covered. The interest rates I have seen are also really high compared to traditional banks and I think they are able to do that by having no physical infrastructure besides servers, no storefronts etc.

SPIC only covers cash outlays to investment accounts. Once the money is invested in securities (like Robinhood does with your cash) it's no longer insured against losses.

Same goes for investment arms of traditional banks; if you put your cash in a money-market account (as opposed to a CD) you aren't insured aganst losses, even if the MM is offered through your FDIC-insured bank.

Which banks are offering products similar to Robinhood's that are FDIC-insured?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Loucks posted:

While twitter is bad, this seems somewhat fishy. Maybe they’ve changed the process to get API access, but as of a year or so ago it was trivial, and there was little barrier to multiple accounts. Not sure what would prevent him from just creating a new account and dumping slightly rebranded bot code into it.

Which isn’t to say that “This is garbage. gently caress Twitter.” isn’t a reasonable reaction.

Twitter did in fact announce changes to the API access procedure. https://blog.twitter.com/developer/en_us/topics/tools/2018/new-developer-requirements-to-protect-our-platform.html

I think the crux of the matter is this part:

quote:

Eventually, all developers with existing access to our APIs will be required to complete a developer account application in order to maintain their apps. We will provide at least a 90-day notice before enforcing this requirement. We may opt to retire apps.twitter.combefore enforcing that requirement; in that case, we will ensure developers have access to manage their apps on developer.twitter.com, even if they have not yet started the application process.

When applying, all developers will be required to provide detailed information about how they use or intend to use Twitter’s APIs so that we can better ensure compliance with our policies. You can help expedite your application approval by providing complete details up front. Applications submitted with incomplete or insufficient information may be delayed while we request further information from a developer. Applications that do not comply with Twitter’s policies will be rejected.

Following application approval, you may be required to undergo additional, more rigorous policy reviews if you change your app’s use of Twitter’s APIs or request access to additional products or features, including the ability to post content to Twitter frequently or at high volumes (see below).

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
It's almost like "free speech" is a giant loving red flag (with a swastika on it)

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Petr posted:

It's almost like "free speech" is a giant loving red flag poorly thought-out concept that's extremely overrated

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Gatts posted:

Trump resigning because he didn't get his way would be tantamount to him saying "the system is broken beyond repair," which chuds would see as a full on call for violent revolution. As much as I hate Trump, the idea of an army Timothy McVeighs doesn't sound appealing.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mistaya posted:

Didn't both Sears and Toys R Us have more workers EACH than the entire coal industry? But no one gives a gently caress about the retail workers while the last fifty miners in West Virginia have this stupid mythos built around them. UGH I hate it so much.

75% of the work in one state has more impact than 0.02% of the work in 50 states.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

deoju posted:

Trump resigning because he didn't get his way would be tantamount to him saying "the system is broken beyond repair," which chuds would see as a full on call for violent revolution. As much as I hate Trump, the idea of an army Timothy McVeighs doesn't sound appealing.

Modern Americans don't have the balls for violent revolution.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

deoju posted:

they won't do poo poo as a mass. most will grumble loudly and continue overdosing/dying of black lung or going about their lives. there will be some "lone wolve" types, mostly from the millennial chud types though.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

deoju posted:

An army of CHUDS would last maybe a week before they would need their insulin shots or meals at Golden Corral.

Timothy McVeigh type terrorism is a scary possibility. We already had attempted bombings and multiple mass shootings/murder by CHUDS as well as street violence.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

watching game change and sarah palin is dumber than trump. i knew she was a dumbass but i didn't know she was this stupid. thank you john mccain for bringing her to a national stage.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

watching game change and sarah palin is dumber than trump. i knew she was a dumbass but i didn't know she was this stupid. thank you john mccain for bringing her to a national stage.

she fell upwards because she was conventionally attractive and people thought the whole "yokel moron" thing was a giant act like with W. then it they realized too late that it wasn't.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
There's no way this shutdown lasts past the first full week Congress is back. Congress and the President got something of a mulligan for doing this over a holiday week. There's no way they keep this up after everyone is back to work. The President will lower his request to $1.5 billion again and give the Democrats something they want and it'll get signed. Everyone will claim victory.

Gatts posted:

Trump won't resign because he knows he'll be indicted on a multitude of charges the moment he's out of Office. There are so many investigations covering both state and federal jurisdictions that there's no clear path to freedom. His only hope is to win re-election and pray he can outlive the statute of limitations.

Nixon was easy compared to Trump. Trump's a raging dumpster fire with tires tossed in for good measure.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

Palin is a dumbass but Trump is every bit as stupid, possibly moreso. But she basically lit the fire that led to Trump so..

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

1glitch0 posted:

This is from pages ago but the story of how Sears died is the most absolutely perfect distilled version of capitalism I've ever seen. No one could write a failure like this as fiction because it would be too absurd. It's pure libertarianism and capitalism at it's absolute perfect which is why is collapsed and failed and died. It truly is a story for the ages.

Watching super boy CEO Eddie Lampert being hailed as a genius by fellow Ayn Rand zealots before collapsing SEARS by running it by Randian philosophy is still one of the most TV show come to life things. All those Rand fans suddenly either got amnesia and couldn’t recall who Lampert was or suddenly Lampert wasn’t really smart and didn’t really understand Rand stances so he didn’t really implement Randian policies

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

There's no way this shutdown lasts past the first full week Congress is back. Congress and the President got something of a mulligan for doing this over a holiday week. There's no way they keep this up after everyone is back to work. The President will lower his request to $1.5 billion again and give the Democrats something they want and it'll get signed. Everyone will claim victory.

idk. i feel like trump won't take any decrease in wall money especially since his base won't.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

1glitch0 posted:

Is there a good summary online (if it was linked in thread I missed it)?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

deoju posted:

Being overly concerned about what extremists will do if they don't get their way seems counterproductive. Any repudiation of racist, right-wing ideology can be met with the same concern.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Palin is a dumbass but Trump is every bit as stupid, possibly moreso. But she basically lit the fire that led to Trump so..

donald trump knows what the fed is.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

idk. i feel like trump won't take any decrease in wall money especially since his base won't.

WH already offered to lower the demand to 2.5B and the dems told them to pound sand.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Fallom posted:

Being overly concerned about what extremists will do if they don't get their way seems counterproductive. Any repudiation of racist, right-wing ideology can be met with the same concern.

This is a fair point.

I think the hypothetical is moot anyway, Trump's ego will never let him resign.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Critical posted:

WH already offered to lower the demand to 2.5B and the dems told them to pound sand.

well, hope the dems keep it up.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Personally, I found it crazy that a company that pioneered the mail order business couldn't adapt to the internet.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Groovelord Neato posted:

donald trump knows what the fed is.

Palin knows what a bear is

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Dem drat Dems!

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

deoju posted:

They'll do it if he loses re-election, so we must all vote for Trump.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Agreed. Trump could beg for a single dollar and I hope they tell him to eat poo poo.

Speaking of eating poo poo the loving Wells Fargo decision sucks out loud. Half a billion in damages. loving company should be dismantled for parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

deoju posted:

This is a fair point.

I think the hypothetical is moot anyway, Trump's ego will never let him resign.

It hasn't stopped him from abandoning things before.