Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Wyvernil posted:

Just installing DQ11, so I'm wondering whether the draconian difficulty options are worth it.

Should I be playing with the "stronger monsters" option on during a first playthrough? I keep hearing the game is too easy without it, but I'm not sure whether it would be too tedious with the option enabled.

If you have played any earlier dragon quests then my answer to this is an emphatic yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I didn't know about stronger monsters but apparently it requires a new game? I'm already 24 hours deep.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Elderbean posted:

I didn't know about stronger monsters but apparently it requires a new game? I'm already 24 hours deep.
Yeah, once you choose not to enable a Draconian option (or disable one mid-game), there's no in-game way to enable it. Apparently, PC users can use Cheat Engine to enable Draconian options mid-game.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
The edition of the game I got came with free skill seeds - is it better to use them to boost the hero right away, or is there another character who can benefit from them more later on? For instance, IIRC, Angelo from DQ8 seemed to have pretty slow skill growth early on, so he was a good candidate for skill seeds.

Also, it seems like the Greatsword path is the way to go for the hero - from what I can tell, the one-handed sword skills don't really start to shine until late game. Though, is it worth it to go for the Zap skill early on, or should I wait on that for a bit?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Wyvernil posted:

The edition of the game I got came with free skill seeds - is it better to use them to boost the hero right away, or is there another character who can benefit from them more later on? For instance, IIRC, Angelo from DQ8 seemed to have pretty slow skill growth early on, so he was a good candidate for skill seeds.

Also, it seems like the Greatsword path is the way to go for the hero - from what I can tell, the one-handed sword skills don't really start to shine until late game. Though, is it worth it to go for the Zap skill early on, or should I wait on that for a bit?
I've personally just been using Seeds of Skill to boost anyone on those times when the character is just shy of a skill I really want; there will be times that happens, unless you have a guide open and pre-plan your skill allocations (which is something the game goes out of its way to make sure you have no reason to do; respecing is dirt-cheap and available pretty much anywhere you can save your game). All of the characters seem to have relatively even skill growth, and unlike DQ8 where Jessica and Angelo came with no skill points despite joining above level 1, everyone in 11 has their proper number of skill points for their level when they join.

Greatsword definitely is better DPS in the early game. I went down the one-handed sword tree from the beginning, with no points put into greatswords until I needed them for a skill, and there were still times where a greatsword was the highest-attack weapon I could use.

As for how you split up your skill points, again, respecing is dirt-cheap and you're never locked out of doing it for long. Experiment. Buy skills just to see what they do. You are never locked into a build in this game, and it's great. It gives you a lot of freedom to explore and play around.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

DQ11 Stronger Monsters is one of the best balanced RPGs I've ever played. If you have any idea how DQ is intended to be played then you'll have a blast with it.

Genuinely curious, how is DQ "intended" to be played? I'm thinking about picking up DQ11 again, but I'd be starting over (I'd just gotten access to the ship, but I always start over in RPGs (ed: most games) if I take too prolonged a break), so I'm looking at the draconian stuff too. No real history with the series though, besides loving DQ Builders on Switch (and appreciating the hell out of the chapter consisting entirely of cor blimey buffmen :v:)

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
To me, the core thing about Dragon Quest compared to other RPGs was that the difficulty was in the journey, not the destination. Just getting from point A to point B whether in the overworld or in a dungeon was seeing how well you could manage your resources without running dry because MP recovery items were typically extremely scarce. This is really stressful compared to a lot of modern RPG design though and the series is moving away from that with controllable encounters and in DQXI's case, free inns almost everywhere.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Genuinely curious, how is DQ "intended" to be played? I'm thinking about picking up DQ11 again, but I'd be starting over (I'd just gotten access to the ship, but I always start over in RPGs (ed: most games) if I take too prolonged a break), so I'm looking at the draconian stuff too. No real history with the series though, besides loving DQ Builders on Switch (and appreciating the hell out of the chapter consisting entirely of cor blimey buffmen :v:)

Depends on you man. Some people think the game is too easy without the stronger monsters option turned on some disagree. Ask yourself, are you the kinda person who'd try to outsmart your enemies or just grind a few more levels to beat a boss? If you're liable to grind then you might as well not turn on stronger monsters and save yourself some time.

But again, this all depends on how you approach things.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Elderbean posted:

Honestly if you don't fight every enemy the game will get harder and you also don't get bogged down in tedium. Post game and chapter two have decent challenges even on normal as long as you didn't go ham killing everything in sight.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I believe that party members in 11 join at preset levels. So if someone joins and your average is right about theirs, that's probably the "expected" level for that part of the game?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
45 hours and I'm still in Act 1 :shepface:

I just (officially) got the 8th party member

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

The game was released in Japan without any extra difficulty modes so that's arguably how it's "intended" to be played.

Stronger Monsters feels like a good balance in that enemy resistances feel more pronounced and their attacks hurt more, but not to the point where it's unfair. In my opinion it really brings out the systems, in the base game I felt I could get away with AI party control whereas Stronger Monsters made controlling party member moves feel more rewarding.

DQ in general is fairly forgiving since even if you game over you just lose half your gold but get to keep everything else, and you can use the bank to protect your gold so you don't lose that much. I've been wiping a lot on my stronger monsters playthrough, but it's not discouraging as other games where wiping means you lost all progress.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hyper Inferno posted:

I believe that party members in 11 join at preset levels. So if someone joins and your average is right about theirs, that's probably the "expected" level for that part of the game?

Yeah. I found they always joined 2-4 levels above me.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

precision posted:

45 hours and I'm still in Act 1 :shepface:

I just (officially) got the 8th party member

You're in Act 2.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

People in 1997 probably still called Wutai the prologue or something.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

RareAcumen posted:

People in 1997 probably still called Wutai the prologue or something.

just use MGSV principles and call the whole loving game Chapter 1

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Ciaphas posted:

A lot of people associate DQ with hours of grinding and then powering through poo poo without much strategy, where DQ is deisgned to be a light strategy game. It may not have any positioning aspects, but the game is typically all about "How do I get through this encounter using the least resources I can" and that typically comes down to using status effects (gasp!) like Sleep, Blind, or Mute to shutdown enemies. Even bosses seldom have particularly high resistance to the "not-total shutdown" status ailments, and yet newer players tend to ignore these because games PS1 era FF made such abilities useless by virtually never connecting.

WRT how all this applies to DQ11. 11 is definitely designed to be "baby's first DQ" so a lot of the game by default is biased in the player's favor, most notably availability of MP restoration. If this wasn't the case, then DQ11 with Stronger Monsters would probably be the hardest game in the franchise. As it stands though, the bump in difficulty acts as a great counterbalance to the other newbie friendly aspects.

The Ninth Layer posted:

The game was released in Japan without any extra difficulty modes so that's arguably how it's "intended" to be played.

Well it did have "No Armor" "No Shopping" "No Escape" and "Shypox". I get the feeling that Stronger Monsters especially was planned for the original release but just didn't get finished on time. Did you know that the script was only finalized a month before the game actually came out in Japan? That's why it had no voice acting.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

A lot of people associate DQ with hours of grinding and then powering through poo poo without much strategy, where DQ is deisgned to be a light strategy game. It may not have any positioning aspects, but the game is typically all about "How do I get through this encounter using the least resources I can" and that typically comes down to using status effects (gasp!) like Sleep, Blind, or Mute to shutdown enemies. Even bosses seldom have particularly high resistance to the "not-total shutdown" status ailments, and yet newer players tend to ignore these because games PS1 era FF made such abilities useless by virtually never connecting.

I tend not to use status effects as much as I should because I am very nervous about using MP for anything but the absolutely necessary for fear that I run out. I'm sure that this is to my detriment because I tend to save all of my MP for heals when I could probably take less damage by using status magic. One thing frustrating about DQ is that too many spells are all-or-nothing, including pure damage spells. This literally happened to me last night: it is nothing short of infuriating to be unable to cast StopSpell on those annoying voodoo monsters in DQ3 that do nothing but heal and resurrect other mobs, and it's even nearly as bad to spend double-digit MP on a big nuke and watch it do literally zero damage to half of the mobs on the screen. This isn't just an elemental thing, there are numerous mobs that just resist every nuke spell half the time or more. My favourites are the high physical defence enemies who buff their AC to Metal Slime levels yet also ignore most other forms of non-melee damage.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
The best status effect is Dead.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

JustJeff88 posted:

I tend not to use status effects as much as I should because I am very nervous about using MP for anything but the absolutely necessary for fear that I run out. I'm sure that this is to my detriment because I tend to save all of my MP for heals when I could probably take less damage by using status magic. One thing frustrating about DQ is that too many spells are all-or-nothing, including pure damage spells. This literally happened to me last night: it is nothing short of infuriating to be unable to cast StopSpell on those annoying voodoo monsters in DQ3 that do nothing but heal and resurrect other mobs, and it's even nearly as bad to spend double-digit MP on a big nuke and watch it do literally zero damage to half of the mobs on the screen. This isn't just an elemental thing, there are numerous mobs that just resist every nuke spell half the time or more. My favourites are the high physical defence enemies who buff their AC to Metal Slime levels yet also ignore most other forms of non-melee damage.

Don't worry about any of that in DQ11. Spend MP like crazy and use MP restore items in a pinch. Make sure to +2 or +3 any gear that regens MP and use those.

It's nowhere near as hard as 3.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Is there any curated spotify playlist to play along DQ11 on the ps4? Cause that town theme gets really tiresome fast

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Maybe I just had really bad luck, but I started on Harder Monsters, hit two bosses in a row that resisted all of my status ailments and checked out. With that turned off (and no XP for low level enemies/avoiding more random encounters) the game is feeling like more my speed. Status ailments actually land.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

doingitwrong posted:

Maybe I just had really bad luck, but I started on Harder Monsters, hit two bosses in a row that resisted all of my status ailments and checked out. With that turned off (and no XP for low level enemies/avoiding more random encounters) the game is feeling like more my speed. Status ailments actually land.

I'm pretty sure the bosses in harder monsters mode don't get additional resistances. They do more damage, and have more actions, but I don't think they get anything else.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I'm pretty sure the bosses in harder monsters mode don't get additional resistances. They do more damage, and have more actions, but I don't think they get anything else.

This is correct. Resistance tables are unchanged.

JustJeff88 posted:

DQ1-4 resistances are all or nothing rolls. So an enemy with 70% Sizz susceptibility have a 30% chance just take no damage from Sizz spells. What enemy with the defense spam is bugging you? If it's the green crabs then Crack and Woosh work 100% of the time but they have 30% resistance to Frizz/Sizz/Bang. They're also completely susceptible to Sap.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Elephant Ambush posted:

You're in Act 2.

Not according to the walkthrough I glanced at, apparently I'm at the very very end of Act 1.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

precision posted:

Not according to the walkthrough I glanced at, apparently I'm at the very very end of Act 1.

The end of Act One is the prerendered cutscene (the one that occurs after getting the orbs and completing the dungeon after that). No other definition of the divide between Acts 1 and 2 makes sense. That is a VERY clear signal that Act 2 has started.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

precision posted:

That walkthrough is wrong. It's really obvious when Act 2 starts.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Can you link the walkthrough? I’m now very curious exactly which event they think starts Act 2, and what possible logic they could be using.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Well it did have "No Armor" "No Shopping" "No Escape" and "Shypox". I get the feeling that Stronger Monsters especially was planned for the original release but just didn't get finished on time. Did you know that the script was only finalized a month before the game actually came out in Japan? That's why it had no voice acting.

Seeing as it appears to be just a lazy +50% more stats to all the monsters without any regard for balance on some bosses, I doubt that.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

DQ1-4 resistances are all or nothing rolls. So an enemy with 70% Sizz susceptibility have a 30% chance just take no damage from Sizz spells. What enemy with the defense spam is bugging you? If it's the green crabs then Crack and Woosh work 100% of the time but they have 30% resistance to Frizz/Sizz/Bang. They're also completely susceptible to Sap.

I am aware that they are all-or-nothing, I just don't like it. I would rather that an enemy with 30% resistance to Blazemore take 30% less damage, honestly. All of my characters are level 20 now apart from my new sage and I am past the desert area with the green Crabber Dabber Doo monsters (seriously, that's their name in the mobile version) There's two enemies, one near Muor and others at sea, that have tall, conical shells and buff themselves to the point that they take 1 damager per hit. They also resist spells like champions. I'm fine with melee-resistant mobs, but they need to be weak against spells or it's just taking the piss.

I don't have access to any kind of resource that fully details enemy resistances and there's no spell in the game that tells you all of that, so I'm mostly guessing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

HPanda posted:

Can you link the walkthrough? I’m now very curious exactly which event they think starts Act 2, and what possible logic they could be using.

Never mind, I'm dumb. I assumed since I was on chapter 9 of the 11 listed for the walkthrough that it was listing the 11 chapters of Act 1, not the 11 chapters that comprise the entire game. I guess acts 2 and 3 are much shorter than act 1?

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
What's the trick to getting consistent results with the forge? I've managed to get +3 items without getting any of the bars to turn yellow, so I'm guessing that getting the meters close enough to the middle is more important than perfecting everything.

Also, the dagger tree on Erik seems to get good damage with the sleep attack combined with the follow-up which deals x6 damage on sleeping foes. The trouble is getting the status effect to stick. Are the equivalent poison skills more consistent?

I'm thinking that I'll pick up the steal skill before getting the dual wield ability. From what I hear, unlike other DQ games, stealing is actually useful here (previously, the chances of stealing anything were too low to be worthwhile, and enemies rarely had anything worth stealing).

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Wyvernil posted:

What's the trick to getting consistent results with the forge? I've managed to get +3 items without getting any of the bars to turn yellow, so I'm guessing that getting the meters close enough to the middle is more important than perfecting everything.

Also, the dagger tree on Erik seems to get good damage with the sleep attack combined with the follow-up which deals x6 damage on sleeping foes. The trouble is getting the status effect to stick. Are the equivalent poison skills more consistent?

I'm thinking that I'll pick up the steal skill before getting the dual wield ability. From what I hear, unlike other DQ games, stealing is actually useful here (previously, the chances of stealing anything were too low to be worthwhile, and enemies rarely had anything worth stealing).

Getting the bars close is good enough. If you land a few perfects you will probably get a +3.

Both effects seem to have the same chance to land.

Steal is pretty useless in DQ11 too. The chance is low(but can be boosted with items / accessories) and there aren't really that many useful things to steal until act3(and even then it's mostly stealing a shield to sell for money). Get Dual Wielding first.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Sea-Crossed Lovers
Awarded for easing the heart of an ill-omened lover.

gently caress you game. What a terrible achievement description for a downer quest.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Wyvernil posted:

Both abilities have the same base chance to hit, but poison is significantly less resisted across the board. Personally I don't think persecutter is worth a drat but Victimizer can be the strongest move in the game.

Steal by itself is not very useful but the ? panel in that tree is a very very very very good ability so get it anyway on the way to that.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Both abilities have the same base chance to hit, but poison is significantly less resisted across the board. Personally I don't think persecutter is worth a drat but Victimizer can be the strongest move in the game.

Steal by itself is not very useful but the ? panel in that tree is a very very very very good ability so get it anyway on the way to that.

Sleep does have the advantage of locking down an enemy; a sleeping enemy is not attacking you. Plus it gets to Dual Wield quicker than the poison route; poison has to go through one more tile, plus the skills are more expensive.

By the by, once you've unlocked a hidden panel, it remains unlocked, am I correct? So you could respec your skills and beeline to the hidden skill without having to unlock the prereqs first?

Finally, now that I have a full party, is unlocking spear skills with Serena viable (at least, early in the game before the damage falls off)? I'm hearing mixed things about the viability of that build. At least Veronica seems designed to be a pure mage so whips aren't a good option for her (unlike Jessica in DQ8 where you could get Twin Dragon Lash relatively early and get good damage out of it).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Wyvernil posted:

Sleep does have the advantage of locking down an enemy; a sleeping enemy is not attacking you. Plus it gets to Dual Wield quicker than the poison route; poison has to go through one more tile, plus the skills are more expensive.

By the by, once you've unlocked a hidden panel, it remains unlocked, am I correct? So you could respec your skills and beeline to the hidden skill without having to unlock the prereqs first?

Finally, now that I have a full party, is unlocking spear skills with Serena viable (at least, early in the game before the damage falls off)? I'm hearing mixed things about the viability of that build. At least Veronica seems designed to be a pure mage so whips aren't a good option for her (unlike Jessica in DQ8 where you could get Twin Dragon Lash relatively early and get good damage out of it).

I quickly learner that kasleep plus victimiser or whatever on targets of opportunity is a really good combo but I still prefer poison for big boys since you get ticks and it feels more reliable so long as they're not immune

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Wyvernil posted:

Hidden panels reset if you respec. My Hero would have no points in Greatswords if I didn't need a few skills in order to keep Sword Dance.

I'd suggest against Spears for Serena. She's never going to be a terrific fighter no matter what you do, and the boost to Magical Mending from her Wands could give you a bit of an edge. Unless you have her going all-in on Claws, Jade is always going to be a better Spear wielder than Serena, and it's better to not have the competition for the good ones. And if you want a combat Whip-wielder, go with Sylvando.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Ah, shoot. I guess deciding based on low sample size bites me again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Stealing owns wth are you all talking about?

It's the best way to get certain crafting materials.

Absolutely get that first. You don't need dual wielding if you're stealing most of the time. It's pretty good against bosses though.