Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I think Bush, Candlebox, Alanis Morrisette et al were the first generation of cynical post-grunge. People who would've had zero problems doing synthpop or hair metal five years earlier if it got them a record deal.

Tellingly, Garbage was one of these, led by the producer of 'Nevermind'. Middle aged record producers and studio musicians who cynically find a young chanteuse to front their group. Of course so did Led Zeppelin and The Police.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 19:43 on Dec 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Imagined posted:

I think Bush, Candlebox, Alanis Morrisette et al were the first generation of cynical post-grunge. People who would've had zero problems doing synthpop or hair metal five years earlier if it got them a record deal.

That's how I always think of the band Live.

Of course, Layne Staley was in a hair metal band for a while before he formed Alice In Chains.

quote:

Tellingly, Garbage was one of these, led by the producer of 'Nevermind'. Middle aged record producers and studio musicians who cynically find a young chanteuse to front their group. Of course so did Led Zeppelin and The Police.

Definitely was the case with Zeppelin but I don't know if that can be said of the Police. Summer was the industry veteran but he was brought into the band by Sting and Copeland, who'd started the band together, when their original guitarist wasn't working out.

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 20:38 on Dec 21, 2018

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

wesleywillis posted:

Sunday night sex show in Canada with Sue Johannsen.

It was on TV and radio.

This is from like a month ago, but she was friends with my middle school health teacher and taught our sex Ed unit in grade 9.

20 14 year old girls being mildly star struck by a wise and salty middle age lady talking about sex was pretty hilarious.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Imagined posted:

This is literally true for Alanis. She had a pop career in Canada before grunge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar7afdfBHj4

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Bamabalacha posted:

This is from like a month ago, but she was friends with my middle school health teacher and taught our sex Ed unit in grade 9.

20 14 year old girls being mildly star struck by a wise and salty middle age lady talking about sex was pretty hilarious.

Is that the lady that was on Degrassi a few times?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

burial posted:

Is that the lady that was on Degrassi a few times?

She played "dr sally" in an episode or two of Degrassi Junior high. Once, only on the "radio" and in one episode where Joey ran in to her when he was working at the Radio station.

So... Short answer: yes.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Jeez. And here I was thinking of one or more episodes of TNG or whatever it’s called.

I can’t tell how proud I should be that some part of my brain knew this.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The intro to the HBO Spawn series has Todd MacFarlane wearing a suit and trying to sound deep about this comic book tv show.

Also Spawn is pretty drat 90s.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Seldom Posts posted:

This is literally true for Alanis. She had a pop career in Canada before grunge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar7afdfBHj4

Ok, this thread has finally surprised me. I did NOT see this coming.

To be fair, she's 17 years old there. If we're going to call any part of her career cynically manufactured, it's surely gotta be the teenybop phase. That song is peak '90s too, has the way overused "wave your hands in the air like you just don't care". And now I'm wondering if someone has made a list of all the songs that used that rhyme.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I knew Robin Sparkles from How I Met Your Mother was a sendup of Alanis, but I never knew about the teenypop phase :stonk:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Len posted:

The intro to the HBO Spawn series has Todd MacFarlane wearing a suit and trying to sound deep about this comic book tv show.

Also Spawn is pretty drat 90s.

Spawn, like Sonic, could have only existed in the 90s.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I was too lazy to look on YouTube but seriously

https://youtu.be/F9wmgRRoSyg

I tried to read the Wikipedia for Spawn this morning and about halfway through it becomes incomprehensible gibberish

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
One of the best things about Spawn is how Todd received (maybe, bankruptcy shenanigans) the rights for Marvelman/Miracleman and sat on them for years.

Gaiman did some work for the series (co-creating, like, Cogliostro, Medieval Spawn and one of the female characters, Angela I think), expecting McFarlane to pay him royalties since Image was all Creator Owned and poo poo. When that didn't happen, a long-rear end lawsuit ensued, which culminated in Gaiman gaining 50% control of his characters and a transfer of the Miracleman license to Marvel.

Cogliostro's been kind of integral to Spawn, to the point where I think he eventually took the throne of Hell/Heaven after {crazy plot twist poo poo}. McFarlane did the mature thing and continued to use him as he planned while giving Gaiman a cut suddenly had Cogliostro reveal himself as the Man of Miracles, a gaia-like genderless spirit that is the mother of all creation and has been puppet mastering all the major events of Spawn.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

FilthyImp posted:

One of the best things about Spawn is how Todd received (maybe, bankruptcy shenanigans) the rights for Marvelman/Miracleman and sat on them for years.

Gaiman did some work for the series (co-creating, like, Cogliostro, Medieval Spawn and one of the female characters, Angela I think), expecting McFarlane to pay him royalties since Image was all Creator Owned and poo poo. When that didn't happen, a long-rear end lawsuit ensued, which culminated in Gaiman gaining 50% control of his characters and a transfer of the Miracleman license to Marvel.

Cogliostro's been kind of integral to Spawn, to the point where I think he eventually took the throne of Hell/Heaven after {crazy plot twist poo poo}. McFarlane did the mature thing and continued to use him as he planned while giving Gaiman a cut suddenly had Cogliostro reveal himself as the Man of Miracles, a gaia-like genderless spirit that is the mother of all creation and has been puppet mastering all the major events of Spawn.

The whole thing with McFarlane/Gaiman was hilarious, since one of the founding principles of Image was "Creators' Rights!". He did the same thing to Liefeld. Originally it was the Liefeld character Chapel who killed Al Simmons, but Todd didn't want to keep paying Rob royalties, so he rewrote Spawn's origin so it really wasn't Chapel, it was someone named Priest who killed Simmons.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The funniest thing to come out of the Gaiman vs McFarlane dispute is that when it went to court, the judge commented on how impractical and uncomfortable Angela's chain mail bikini looked and, summing up why McFarlane should not be allowed to claim ownership of Gaiman's characters, created half a dozen Spawn derivatives which were entered into the court records.

I can't find the transcript online; there's one from 2004 which is accessible but I think there was a subsequent hearing; I know I've read a different one from the 2004 one.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
McFarlane also didnt want to pay for Medieval Spawn.

Hey kids, here's the next hip Original Spawn character do not pay royalties do not steal, Black Knight Spawn!

Oh. And I may have hosed up that thing with Cog. He's revealed to be Cain.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Are these sort of creator rights battles still a thing in the industry, or has the industry wised up to the potential lawsuits and debates to make sure at the end of the day, "Yeah, you created this character for us. Remember that. You created it for US. You've been paid, the contracts have been signed, we can make $1B off this over the next 10 years and all you get is an interview in EW when the movie comes out."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

JediTalentAgent posted:

Are these sort of creator rights battles still a thing in the industry, or has the industry wised up to the potential lawsuits and debates to make sure at the end of the day, "Yeah, you created this character for us. Remember that. You created it for US. You've been paid, the contracts have been signed, we can make $1B off this over the next 10 years and all you get is an interview in EW when the movie comes out."
Good question. I'm fairly sure that all the contracts have that Work For Hire poo poo in huge 60pt words, but I haven't heard of anyone getting a bonus because they made Batgirl of Burnside, Bane, Gwenpool or SpiderGwen. Even so, it's always debatable what people are owed. Members of Spïnal Tap say they've received like $60 in royalties because Hollywood Accounting Black Business Magic makes it look like they actually lose money every time they sell a BluRay or Album.

Granted, it usually takes like 5-10 years of continued popularity for those grievances to take root.

Like, if I found out Tony Moore was living in a shoe box because Kirkman decided not to honor some contract where the artist would get a portion of Walking Dead money I'd be pretty upset.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

FilthyImp posted:

Good question. I'm fairly sure that all the contracts have that Work For Hire poo poo in huge 60pt words, but I haven't heard of anyone getting a bonus because they made Batgirl of Burnside, Bane, Gwenpool or SpiderGwen. Even so, it's always debatable what people are owed. Members of Spïnal Tap say they've received like $60 in royalties because Hollywood Accounting Black Business Magic makes it look like they actually lose money every time they sell a BluRay or Album.

Granted, it usually takes like 5-10 years of continued popularity for those grievances to take root.

Like, if I found out Tony Moore was living in a shoe box because Kirkman decided not to honor some contract where the artist would get a portion of Walking Dead money I'd be pretty upset.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/walking-dead-robert-kirkman-lawsuit-373667

He may or may not have tried

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wheat Loaf posted:

The funniest thing to come out of the Gaiman vs McFarlane dispute is that when it went to court, the judge commented on how impractical and uncomfortable Angela's chain mail bikini looked and, summing up why McFarlane should not be allowed to claim ownership of Gaiman's characters, created half a dozen Spawn derivatives which were entered into the court records.

I can't find the transcript online; there's one from 2004 which is accessible but I think there was a subsequent hearing; I know I've read a different one from the 2004 one.

Then Gaiman sold Angela to Marvel for a bux, and she became Thor's long lost sister.

It is funny that when people talk about 90s comics they think stuff like Spawn or Cable or other giant muscle men with giant guns and pouches, but that also includes some of the best comics ever made; Sandman, Death, Animal Man, Preacher, Invisibles, Transmetropolitan, and so on and also really far out on the edge stuff like Milk and Cheese, 8ball, Hate and Eltingville.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Overall, the industry seems to be a lot more front and center with '...created by...' credits in media over the last decade or so. Movies, cartoons, I think even the comics are pretty good with making sure there's a creator credit prominently featured in some way for many characters, and not just the people currently involved with the production.

I THINK someone (maybe Jim Shooter, but I might be mixing up his story and someone else's) gave a story about creator ownership around 1995 or so, perhaps specifically around their own involvement in character and story creation and how some lawyers were telling them that it was possible they had a claim to many of the things they made for DC when they were just starting out in the industry.

For all the talk about the death of the EU in Star Wars thanks to the Disney takeover, I think a large part of that is likely due to wanting to cut off any potential rights issues before they became issues (and that the EU seemed from the outside to have become such a huge beast that it was simpler to create a new continuity so as to have a common ground for the fandom.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JediTalentAgent posted:

I THINK someone (maybe Jim Shooter, but I might be mixing up his story and someone else's) gave a story about creator ownership around 1995 or so, perhaps specifically around their own involvement in character and story creation and how some lawyers were telling them that it was possible they had a claim to many of the things they made for DC when they were just starting out in the industry.

Shooter gets slagged off a lot on creators' rights (not undeservedly) but he also introduced Marvel's first royalties policy and I believe it's been credited for a lot of new stuff being created in the 80s. If you look at a lot of late 70s Marvel stuff, it's all the same bad guys as had been around for the first decade of Marvel because nobody wanted to create something for the company that they weren't going to have a stake in.

I think the only major writer who was creating lots of new characters was Len Wein (who was also editor-in-chief for part of the decade) and he never really got much back from them; he co-created Wolverine but before he died he was saying in interviews how he made more money off Lucius Fox appearing in the Dark Knight movies than he ever made off Wolverine in any medium.

quote:

For all the talk about the death of the EU in Star Wars thanks to the Disney takeover, I think a large part of that is likely due to wanting to cut off any potential rights issues before they became issues (and that the EU seemed from the outside to have become such a huge beast that it was simpler to create a new continuity so as to have a common ground for the fandom.)

Sure, I've heard that the reason Star Wars novels kept having movie era Luke, Han and Leia pictures on the front no matter how far in time they moved away from the movies was because Lucas didn't want to pay Ford, Hamill and Fisher to use more up-to-date likenesses. :v:

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 22:46 on Dec 25, 2018

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyDjRd0Tjss

there was not a lot like this on the radio in 1992

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

twistedmentat posted:

Then Gaiman sold Angela to Marvel for a bux, and she became Thor's long lost sister.

It is funny that when people talk about 90s comics they think stuff like Spawn or Cable or other giant muscle men with giant guns and pouches, but that also includes some of the best comics ever made; Sandman, Death, Animal Man, Preacher, Invisibles, Transmetropolitan, and so on and also really far out on the edge stuff like Milk and Cheese, 8ball, Hate and Eltingville.

There was some grand stuff in the indie section, but the mainstream buried it in garbage. It's not wrong to say, on balance, it was way more bad than good. But the good, was still very very good. David Lapham's Stray Bullets can be added to that list, but gently caress him for ending abruptly on a cliffhanger and never going back to conclude it. Yes, I'm still salty, but god drat that book owns so much.

Speaking of Milk and Cheese, saw a really sad Twitter thread from its creator Evan Dorkin recently. He was super glum, wondering if he should give up on it and get a “real job” because he's been barely scraping by because it's not exactly a secure or well paying gig despite having been pumping out work continuously since forever. He got screwed over by a co-creator who just failed to deliver their part of a collaboration so a book he loved working on just stalled, costing him income and letting down the fans waiting for it. Poor bastard's had a crappy time of it despite his best efforts to make being a comic creator work out. As someone who used to gladly slap down money for Milk and Cheese back in the day, I felt genuine sadness that having not thought of him in ages, first time his name came up was him saying “everything is hosed”.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Randaconda posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyDjRd0Tjss

there was not a lot like this on the radio in 1992

I always heard Arrested Development refered to as "Positive Rap", which i guess it is, but thinking about it, it feels like that was code for "this is safe, they're not going to be scary like NWA or Ice-T".

A song i hate, but I hate that I hate it is OMC's How bizzare.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2cMG33mWVY

This techno Mariachi thing doesn't work, the lyrics are really silly, but the band being Maori and having a huge hit in North America is impressive. I do like they made the singer cover up his tattoos because they'd scare the Colonizers.

Parkingtigers posted:

There was some grand stuff in the indie section, but the mainstream buried it in garbage. It's not wrong to say, on balance, it was way more bad than good. But the good, was still very very good. David Lapham's Stray Bullets can be added to that list, but gently caress him for ending abruptly on a cliffhanger and never going back to conclude it. Yes, I'm still salty, but god drat that book owns so much.

Speaking of Milk and Cheese, saw a really sad Twitter thread from its creator Evan Dorkin recently. He was super glum, wondering if he should give up on it and get a “real job” because he's been barely scraping by because it's not exactly a secure or well paying gig despite having been pumping out work continuously since forever. He got screwed over by a co-creator who just failed to deliver their part of a collaboration so a book he loved working on just stalled, costing him income and letting down the fans waiting for it. Poor bastard's had a crappy time of it despite his best efforts to make being a comic creator work out. As someone who used to gladly slap down money for Milk and Cheese back in the day, I felt genuine sadness that having not thought of him in ages, first time his name came up was him saying “everything is hosed”.

man that gently caress sucks. Dorkin should be hailed as the guy who is responsible for Adult Swim. He wrote the best years of Space Ghost, and that's more than Mike Lazo ever did. You're a white guy and smoked pot with him? You got a show.

Thinking of that, Eltingville would fit perfectly right now. It captured nerds so well.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Is that the Eltingville that got one pilot that was shown once and maybe once again?

Because that was a good pilot. Not Korgoth good, but still good.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Thinking of that, Eltingville would fit perfectly right now. It captured nerds so well.

I do almost get a feeling that it's just a few years too late for today. The feeling I got from the pilot (I don't know much about the comic) is that the whole geek scene was portrayed as loser nerd outsider, which maybe doesn't fit as well in a world where the geek chic stuff is more mainstream and everyone is trying to aim it as now the cool, hip thing.

Unless it was to be done as a specifically period piece set pre-2008 or just this one clique of guys are just losers compared to everyone else.

But the mention of Eltingville makes me think of MTV's Downtown. I'd be tempted to try to give Downtown a watch given that it came out in the very late 90s and I only saw a few episodes of it when it was still airing. But it, too, had a very heavy nerd culture undercurrent to it while it also was doing some more hip urban stuff, too, that seems like a pairing that could be more at home in 2018 than 1999.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Well, I was thinking more of doing an Eltingville thats more of a take down of gate keeping nerd culture that is hyper obsessed with minutia.

Downtown is fantastic. There's only like 12 episodes or something so i saw them over and over. The make Alex out to be this hard luck nerd who just can't get himself going, but then when he finally gets a date with the super hot goth chick he's been dreaming about, and she comes dressed normally, he is a dick to her.

Seeing Goat with Metalocaypse was crazy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

twistedmentat posted:

Seeing Goat with Metalocaypse was crazy.

Please say you've watched Megas XLR. If you have not, you should do that ASAP.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4eqC3DX_oE

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 17:22 on Dec 29, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

OKay, seriously, was Infectious Grooves just Suicidal Tendencies? like they're pretty much the same band; they look and sound the same, behave the same. It's not like they're just in the same genre, like they're that punk funk thing that Chili Peppers was, but at least they don't have the same look.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Late night sneaking up to turn on the TV and hope the signal was good enough to grab a watchable MtV station for

THE MAXX
https://youtu.be/CGw0-gLZaMA

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

twistedmentat posted:

OKay, seriously, was Infectious Grooves just Suicidal Tendencies? like they're pretty much the same band; they look and sound the same, behave the same. It's not like they're just in the same genre, like they're that punk funk thing that Chili Peppers was, but at least they don't have the same look.

Same band, different music style.

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miZHa7ZC6Z0

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0MZFyUvo6I

Michael Jackson in 1996 posted:

Trust in me
Just in me
Put all your trust in me
You're doin' morphine

Relax
This won't hurt you
Before I put it in
Close your eyes and count to ten

Don't cry
I won't convert you
There's no need to dismay
Close your eyes and drift away

Demerol
Demerol
Oh God he's taking Demerol

Demerol
Demerol
Oh God he's taking Demerol

He's tried
Hard to convince her
To be over what he had
Today he wants it twice as bad

Don't cry
I won't resent you
Yesterday you had his trust
Today he's taking twice as much

MJ died sometime in the 90s.

Song is Morphine if you want to hear the entire death knell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_G5DLYRz6M

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

no pubes yet sorry posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0MZFyUvo6I

MJ died sometime in the 90s.

Song is Morphine if you want to hear the entire death knell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_G5DLYRz6M

Maybe his career died in the 90's but MJ the person didn't die until 2009 .

Also, while the Nu Metal rap/rock thing didn't really become mainstream until the late 90's/early 2000's, anyone remember the Judgement Night soundtrack? I know it wasn't the first rap/rock colaboration, but it was the first one I really remember besides RunDMC/Aerosmith. I was listening to a artist radio station on Spotify the other day and the De La Soul/Teenage Fanclub song came on and it took me a minute to remember where I knew it from. I had the soundtrack but never saw the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkbojpSsRdQ

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Elrond Hubbard posted:

Same band, different music style.

I guess I was forgetting that ST sounded like, they're more punk, while IG was, as i said, punk funk.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

uli2000 posted:

Maybe his career died in the 90's but MJ the person didn't die until 2009.

WHOOSH

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

uli2000 posted:

Maybe his career died in the 90's but MJ the person didn't die until 2009 .

Also, while the Nu Metal rap/rock thing didn't really become mainstream until the late 90's/early 2000's, anyone remember the Judgement Night soundtrack? I know it wasn't the first rap/rock colaboration, but it was the first one I really remember besides RunDMC/Aerosmith. I was listening to a artist radio station on Spotify the other day and the De La Soul/Teenage Fanclub song came on and it took me a minute to remember where I knew it from. I had the soundtrack but never saw the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkbojpSsRdQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl1hgXfX5-U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Question: why is it, that every time I turn on the radio, I hear the same five songs, 15 times a day, for three months?

Man, funk dat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOFKU_hwj2o