Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Boatswain posted:

For some reason this is very funny to me.

I thought it was the real dril. Felt a bit out there but sure

also haven't seen anyone itt point out the curse of Assad claiming yet another victim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Syncopated posted:

I thought it was the real dril. Felt a bit out there but sure

also haven't seen anyone itt point out the curse of Assad claiming yet another victim

The curse of the Lion of Syria strikes again.

Also low energy Mattis was fired and replaced before his intended resignation date.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

etalian posted:

The curse of the Lion of Syria strikes again.

Also low energy Mattis was fired and replaced before his intended resignation date.

A fitting end for such a milquetoast threat 🦁

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

cool dance moves posted:

A fitting end for such a milquetoast threat 🦁

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EwiuTwGSGg

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
maybe someone will assassinate James Mattis, teh butcher of fallujah

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

KSA presents: Stooges in three Hiluxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQFYu_5XGrU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Syrian Army just entered Manbij, made a deal with the Kurds to protect it from Turkish forces.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

https://twitter.com/BarzanSadiq/status/1078619124773937152

lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

YPG: I consent
SAA: I consent
Erdogan: I don't

ISN'T THERE SOMEONE YOU FORGOT TO ASK!?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

brakeless posted:

KSA presents: Stooges in three Hiluxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQFYu_5XGrU

The virgin Saud vs the Chad Houthi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v6YwbWjKkQ

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

This seems like a good thing for the Kurds?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It~s the best of the current options.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1078718336828129280

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
With the understanding that I don't give a poo poo if Kurds are US allies or not, will Assad actually guarantee the safety of the Kurds or is this theater?

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Why would Kurds aligning with Assad change anything with regards to Israel? Regardless Iran will have influence through its Qudbros & money?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

With the understanding that I don't give a poo poo if Kurds are US allies or not, will Assad actually guarantee the safety of the Kurds or is this theater?

The previous status quo of Assad treatment of the Kurds was at least not actively murderous (much more 'can't use the language, we'll import arabs into that territory') and he presumably has no particular desire for Turkey to grab even more of Syria so they at least have A shared interest.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
whats good for assad and iran is good for isis apprarently. also good for the people who have sacrificed more to defeat isis than anybody else. :thunk:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I think Israel is pretty close with Iraqi Kurdistan politically. During the Kurdish independence referendum in that country, I definitely remember seeing photos of independence supporters waving Israeli flags.

Considering how Jared Kushner is literally one of the most powerful architects of the Zionist project right now, I wouldn't be shocked if some brain geniuses like him thought that Israel could replicate that close relationship with a Syrian "Kurdistan."

More concretely, any strengthening of the Syrian government now, especially after they've been fighting for survival alongside Hezbollah for so long, is going to be bad for Israel too.

Lightning Knight posted:

Assad cares about Turkey not seizing control of more Syrian territory. The YPG specifically and the Assads have a long and complicated history I'm not completely up on.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

paul_soccer10 posted:

whats good for assad and iran is good for isis apprarently. also good for the people who have sacrificed more to defeat isis than anybody else. :thunk:

Well, Iran is full of Shiites, and Shiites are defined as the more bad Muslims, so if ISIS is the most bad Muslims, it follows they are also Shiites, and therefore allied to Iran and Iran's close friend al-QUaeda

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't think Assad is going to commit a genocide of Kurds. He is probably going to disappear a bunch of people into death prisons, but that's his standard treatment of everyone in Syria, not something specific for the Kurds. So it's going to be lovely for the leadership of YPG, and for the female leadership in particular, most likely, but way less lovely than being subject to the fanatical al-Nusra adjacent Islamists that make up Turkey's proxy forces. Also even in the non-Kurd Turkish sectors, the militias keep killing each other and civilians on a daily basis, so having some sort of central authority, even a lovely one, has to be a step up above that.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Boatswain posted:

Why would Kurds aligning with Assad change anything with regards to Israel?

Because Israel doesn't want peace and stability in Syria and have probably been interested in lobbying Syrian Kurds to be a future fifth column to promote future instability.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Remember when Israel shielded ISIS from attacks

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

steinrokkan posted:

I don't think Assad is going to commit a genocide of Kurds. He is probably going to disappear a bunch of people into death prisons, but that's his standard treatment of everyone in Syria, not something specific for the Kurds. So it's going to be lovely for the leadership of YPG, and for the female leadership in particular,

what the gently caress are you talking about

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

paul_soccer10 posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about

What the gently caress do you think I'm talking about?

The notion of widespread reprisals against rebel populations is something that has been used against e.g. Libya's Gaddafi, with little substance, and something I can imagine being spun as an argument against letting Assad take over Rojava. What I'm saying is that Assad is going to purge Kurdish leadership, but leave the population mostly alone.

steinrokkan has issued a correction as of 01:07 on Dec 29, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Syria is the only Arab state in the region which is still meaningfully antagonistic to Israel, so what’s good for Syria is bad for them.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

steinrokkan posted:

What the gently caress do you think I'm talking about?

erdogan wants to genocide the kurds. assad seems like he is going to be protecting them from erdogan

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

paul_soccer10 posted:

erdogan wants to genocide the kurds. assad seems like he is going to be protecting them from erdogan

Which is exactly what I posted, bud

Maybe you shouldn't start reading posts from the fifth word on

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
guess i missed the post were someone implied assad was going to genocide the kurds. apologies

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
still missing it,

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

paul_soccer10 posted:

still missing it,

The guy asked about the security of Kurds, and given that genocide is a reality they are potentially facing, it's something implied in the question.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
okee dokee cowpokee

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Checked in on some western FSA cheerleaders on twitter, and they all seem to be lusting for the YPG to be crushed.

https://twitter.com/KyleWOrton/status/1078783749683331074
https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1078758898603941888

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
on the topic of western FSA-boosters, can someone please help me clarify the ideology of my new favorite follower

https://twitter.com/wasbappin?lang=en
https://twitter.com/WASBAPPIN/status/1078428452238241792

anti bernie, anti ypg, extremely anti assad, pro-"FSA", pro turk(?), pro-intervention, kind of pro-israel? pro anime. strange beast

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

paul_soccer10 posted:

on the topic of western FSA-boosters, can someone please help me clarify the ideology of my new favorite follower

anti bernie, anti ypg, extremely anti assad, pro-"FSA", pro turk(?), pro-intervention, kind of pro-israel? pro anime. strange beast

that guy has a case of terminally online, and apparently got kicked out of his local DSA for hijacking meetings demanding they support the bombing of Syria