Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Game of the Year?
This poll is closed.
Celeste 33 7.10%
Spider-man 10 2.15%
Red Dead Redemption 2 32 6.88%
Super Smash Brothers Ultimate 32 6.88%
Monster Hunter World 63 13.55%
God of War 26 5.59%
Into the Breach 7 1.51%
Hitman 2 17 3.66%
Dragon Ball Fighterz 4 0.86%
Blazblue Cross Tag Battle 0 0%
Tetris Effect 2 0.43%
Graveyard Keep 3 0.65%
Octopath Traveler 6 1.29%
Assassin's Creed Odyssey 12 2.58%
Bloodstained Curse of the Moon 5 1.08%
Something not listed multiplatform 18 3.87%
Something not listed by Nintendo 1 0.22%
Something not listed by Sony 2 0.43%
Something not listed by Microsoft 1 0.22%
Something not listed on PC 15 3.23%
Something not listed that's indie 15 3.23%
Something that came out late last year 2 0.43%
Something that didn't come out this year but you played this year 23 4.95%
Something that doesn't fit other categories but you want anyways 4 0.86%
Bowsette 132 28.39%
Total: 465 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

mariowiki says Captain Syrup's first name is Maple and I hope it's true

Maple from Zelda grew up to be a pirate in Wario land, went back to being a witch again in old age, and then when she died became Risky Boots. This is all canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Dregs posted:

I have been on an isometric cRPG kick lately, but there is only only so many times you can replay Shadowrun or Pillars. Never could get into D:OS. Are the enhanced versions of the old Baldur's Gate/Icewind/Planescape titles any good? Or are there any other good games in this vein I might be forgetting?

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is great and much better than the first game.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

bushisms.txt posted:

New streets of rage 4 footage (gif)

https://www.twitter.com/lizardcube/...702623220355074

Small clip, but it really assuages my fears it was gonna be too fast like SoR3. Interested, now let's see who's on the ost.

That's SoR3 speed, with added air juggle.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Black Mirror's Telltale game is actually pretty cool

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am glad for the resurgence in FMV games in recent years

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Same except with a period at the end of my sentence (therefore not being ironic).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Phantasium posted:

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.’s Journey

I'm looking forward to this solely because it means we'll get the game's original music outside of the crusty DS sound font.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am glad for the resurgence in FMV games in recent years

Contradiction is legit great

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

infectious madness of dr dekker was a fun fmv game with some flaws on top. i wish it had more parser flexibility

also the murder mystery angle becomes a joke on the final day when they just give you a ridiculously obvious clue

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

precision posted:

Contradiction is legit great

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jay Rust posted:

Same except with a period at the end of my sentence (therefore not being ironic).

I am not being ironic and I hope the redheaded woman who's in a bunch of them becomes a star. And of course Jenks

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The acting in contradiction is beautiful 😃😁

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

The acting in contradiction is beautiful 😃😁

The actual actor guy is so hammy, it's glorious

Has that studio made a followup yet? Iirc it sold really well

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is great and much better than the first game.

What's different? The first game shat a while bunch of super silly poo poo on my lap in the first town, then locked me there with brutal encounters outside the gate. It was a shame too, because it had so much potential.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

precision posted:

The actual actor guy is so hammy, it's glorious

Has that studio made a followup yet? Iirc it sold really well
no and tim follin (creator and also super good videogame composer from the 80s) stopped posting in the contradiction forums back in 2015 :/

but the actor of jenks is in another FMV game, The Shapeshifting Detective

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Dregs posted:

What's different? The first game shat a while bunch of super silly poo poo on my lap in the first town, then locked me there with brutal encounters outside the gate. It was a shame too, because it had so much potential.

Silly is good and youre supposed to probe for the direction that has enemies at your level unless you are already familiar with the game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Any scene with both Jenks and the one old guy who runs the school program or whatever is solid gold.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I liked how Simon (the blonde guy) always returned to his natural laid-back state after answering every question

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Dregs posted:

The story and combat. The combat is great.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/NrNLHov.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/76bzTeA.mp4

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Real hurthling! posted:

Silly is good and youre supposed to probe for the direction that has enemies at your level unless you are already familiar with the game.

I know man. I feel like I have a mental block with D:OS. I should love it. I tried like 10 times at least. I just couldn't get into it.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Really Pants posted:

Masquerada: Songs and Shadows

This looks weird and awesome. Thanks!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

sweet, petscop updated

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

TIL Libre Pikachu is a girl

https://video.twimg.com/tweet_video/DvT5InCV4AASsHm.mp4

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I am now 24 years of age, and I already have grey on my beard. :v:

It has now been 14 years since my parents sucked up and bought me my first DS with Super Mario 64 on it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

precision posted:

Black Mirror's Telltale game is actually pretty cool
I like charlie booker and it's a cool episode, but also it does the exact most obvious black mirror thing you think when you hear "black mirror cyoa episode"

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Grouchio posted:

It has now been 14 years since my parents sucked up and bought me my first DS with Super Mario 64 on it.

You're a baby

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Grouchio posted:

get ready because i'm about to age-based gatekeep real hard

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Relax Or DIE posted:

get ready because i'm about to age-based gatekeep real hard
they'll need to find the age powerup after fighting ridley and then return to access new posting areas

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

homeless snail posted:

I like charlie booker and it's a cool episode, but also it does the exact most obvious black mirror thing you think when you hear "black mirror cyoa episode"

How hard does it pull “The line”? Are we talking possibility of blaming you for whatever techno-clusterfuck that inevitably ensues or Vinne The Vole’s Existential Nightmare levels of “pressing start damns you”?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Pictured: history's greatest monster

From what I've gathered Gust didn't expect such a powerful backlash over child Rorona so I can't expect Astrid to get her comeuppance in Meruru but she better have bad things happen to her in Lulua

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You're controlling a little italian man, and he's fallen down a bottomless pit... you fucker

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

You're controlling a little italian man, and he's fallen down a bottomless pit... you fucker

But enough about my life

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Jay Rust posted:

mama fuckin' mia, not this'a poo poo again

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

As yoshi says... "gently caress"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

As yoshi says... "gently caress"

Yo yo ma

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

As yoshi says... "I committed tax fraud"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

he's in cahoots with isabelle, she had to fund those seventeen degrees somehow

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
One of the smaller things I liked about Contradiction was how the icon for Jenks in profile looks like Sherlock Holmes in his deerstalker. I can't find a picture of it right now but I know I saw it and thought it was cute, though I don't know if it was intentional or if I was just looking too far into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hollow Knights artstyle definitely look like something from Newgrounds. It was a huge turnoff for me even before the boring game play. Gris looks beautiful though