Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Your Parents posted:

Mattis is a dumb piece of poo poo killer why are liberals lionizing him? Charles Manson could write a prison letter saying orange man bad and get tearful apologia from you people lol

Your mask slipped a little bit there bud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
*person supporting a fascist right wing american military guy who is being rebranded as a centrist liberal voice* this guy said a meme from online. He must be evil.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I really hate Trump because he's such a great scapegoat that like Henry Kissinger or Dick Cheney could come out and go this bastard Trump he's impolite! You have to be evil quietly! And suddenly a handful of articles in the nyt and wapo would come out saying how stately and respectable these insane psychotic killers are, and tens of thousands of of forum posts get generated unironically welcoming them to the resistance. It's gross. Mattis is evil.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Your Parents posted:

*person supporting a fascist right wing american military guy who is being rebranded as a centrist liberal voice* this guy said a meme from online. He must be evil.

You nosedived in this lovely troll fairly quickly, just admit it.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Your Parents posted:

I really hate Trump because he's such a great scapegoat that like Henry Kissinger or Dick Cheney could come out and go this bastard Trump he's impolite! You have to be evil quietly! And suddenly a handful of articles in the nyt and wapo would come out saying how stately and respectable these insane psychotic killers are, and tens of thousands of of forum posts get generated unironically welcoming them to the resistance. It's gross. Mattis is evil.

ok

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Like the entire conflict this time is that Mattis was aggressively pushing for regime change in Syria and now Trump is backing out because he's an idiot who thinks he's making a great deal. It's not like, a good thing to suddenly support meaningless wars in the middle east and racist killers in the military just because Trump arbitrarily decided to back out of one of them during a dementia episode.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Your Parents posted:

tens of thousands of of forum posts get generated unironically welcoming them to the resistance. It's gross.

This isn't actually happening you wierdo.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

sean10mm posted:

This isn't actually happening you wierdo.

Not just here, goofball. Twitter and Facebook are forums for discussion too.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Your Parents posted:

Mattis is a dumb piece of poo poo killer why are liberals lionizing him? Charles Manson could write a prison letter saying orange man bad and get tearful apologia from you people lol

Don't try to weasel out.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Your Parents posted:

Because Trump's hosed up approach to foriegn policy is so bad we've been treated to Noam Chomski: Interventionist

selec
Sep 6, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

Because Trump's hosed up approach to foriegn policy is so bad we've been treated to Noam Chomski: Interventionist

Yeah, Chomski’s wrong too. It’s such a narrow gap of possibility, to actually see America disengage from a war, that you should leap on it ferociously when you see it.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Your Parents posted:

Not just here, goofball. Twitter and Facebook are forums for discussion too.

Brokebrained loving idiots will say anything if you seek out brokebrain idiots. So congratulations on getting fussy in this thread over dumbasses being morons on Twitter and Facebook, the websites for dumbass morons.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Hello US NEWS thread, this is the news thread.

*sharpens knife*

How Leftists Can Legislate by Nathan Robinson for Current Affairs.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Chomsky's opinion on the Syria withdrawal has been being mischaracterized. Basically it's as follows:
-The Syrian civil war and the rise of Daesh, and for a large part all conflict in the Middle East, is directly the result of partition and intervention by imperialist nations.
-The US invasion in Iraq and intervention in Syria only exacerbated the problems there, and were immoral.
-A successful Daesh would inevitably become an imperialist state, and a deeply oppressive one at that, and since the US was already dedicated to intervening, the one of the silver linings was 'at least it'll stop Daesh'
-The other silver lining was the formation of a nascent Kurdistan, which is a step towards collapsing the partitions of the Middle East and creating just societies without imperialist intervention.
-Therefore guaranteeing Kurd independence, despite being an imperialist policy, is minimally invasive and supports anti-imperialist results and corrects one of the great injustices perpetrated in the region.

Basically the position comes down to "well if we're going to be imperialist anyway at least we could try to get some good out of it, instead of giving up when we run out of easy targets to blow up". I'm not entirely sure I agree with Chomsky's position but it's definitely not 'lol Chomsky is an interventionist now'.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1078625779670503426
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1078632205210058752
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1078634025412116480
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1078638249562775552

i think he will do it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

I'm not at all sure he can, but if he did I suspect the southern red senators would flip their poo poo.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I think Tibalt is right, this could be a long rear end shutdown. He knows the optics of not getting his wall.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Your Parents posted:

I would be shocked and terrified if Charles Manson were to write a letter at any point after November 19, 2017.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think he will do it.

I hope so, it would be a good way for Republicans to lose every border state, and lose every "economic" conservative still out there. I doubt there is any large corporation in the US that doesn't depend on products moving across the Mexican border to some degree.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Yes lets just completely cut off trade with our third largest trading partner.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Money to 'finish' the wall. That's an interesting word selection there

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think he will do it.

There's no good way forward for Trump and the GOP on this. He owns the shutdown and the border wall. The longer it goes on, the worse it gets, and the worse his bargaining position is, but he can't give in. It's like trying to negotiate in a room with a limited supply of oxygen while your opponent is outside. Every word you speak and every breath you take gets you closer to dying or giving up. The best move would be to accept defeat as quickly as possible in order to take the smallest loss possible, but you can also just keep banking on your genius brain to somehow convince the person outside of the room to give you what you want. Trump's never been in a situation like this because he's always been able to muscle people with his money, so I really think he's going to just try to strong arm this too, but it's not going to work. The only wildcard is when and how the GOP steps in to save him from himself. They probably have to let his approval ratings take a poo poo before they can turn their knives on him :shrug: He's going to lose the moneyed interests or the MAGA base, and he got himself into this mess in the first place by trying to appeal to the chuds.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

paternity suitor posted:

There's no good way forward for Trump and the GOP on this. He owns the shutdown and the border wall. The longer it goes on, the worse it gets, and the worse his bargaining position is, but he can't give in. It's like trying to negotiate in a room with a limited supply of oxygen while your opponent is outside. Every word you speak and every breath you take gets you closer to dying or giving up. The best move would be to accept defeat as quickly as possible in order to take the smallest loss possible, but you can also just keep banking on your genius brain to somehow convince the person outside of the room to give you what you want. Trump's never been in a situation like this because he's always been able to muscle people with his money, so I really think he's going to just try to strong arm this too, but it's not going to work. The only wildcard is when and how the GOP steps in to save him from himself. They probably have to let his approval ratings take a poo poo before they can turn their knives on him :shrug: He's going to lose the moneyed interests or the MAGA base, and he got himself into this mess in the first place by trying to appeal to the chuds.

yeah, its the beginning of the end. i remember his ghost writer talking about how he is scared about what happens when trump is inevitably pushed into a corner and i think we are reaching that point.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I hope so, it would be a good way for Republicans to lose every border state, and lose every "economic" conservative still out there. I doubt there is any large corporation in the US that doesn't depend on products moving across the Mexican border to some degree.

i dislike accerlationisnism but i agree with this case. i think he will do it because he is a spitful rear end in a top hat and he might as well burn all the bridges.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
By the way when I say Mexico is the third largest trading partner, they aren't like some distant third, they are a third that is very close to 2nd and they are way ahead of most of the rest of the top 10 or 15 trading partners

https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/statistics/highlights/top/top1712yr.html

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rex-Goliath posted:

Money to 'finish' the wall. That's an interesting word selection there

By the time the 2020 stuff kicks off the wall's just going to be "finished" according to Trump and debates are going to be this nonsensical mess of Bugs Bunny/Daffy Duck arguments over whether it exists or not and Trump will like refuse to take part in a CNN debate because they aired "fake" footage of the border with no wall and instead the President will do an interview on Sarah Huckabee Sander's new Fox News show where they talk about the Golden Age for America.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

A good majority of the effects felt by the next recession will be traceable directly to Trump. Just as Planned (in my head).

*Monkey's Paw finishes 4-year-long curl* :kheldragar:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Grouchio posted:

A good majority of the effects felt by the next recession will be traceable directly to Trump. Just as Planned (in my head).
The republicans always screw up the economy and then the democrats take over and get blamed for it. If a democratic president wins in 2020 this time will be no different.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Grouchio posted:

*Monkey's Paw finishes 4-year-long curl* :kheldragar:

It's already really obvious

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

mystes posted:

The republicans always screw up the economy and then the democrats take over and get blamed for it. If a democratic president wins in 2020 this time will be no different.

Also already really obvious :smith:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

mystes posted:

Not necessarily. Bush hosed the economy the year of Obama's election. Here we have just under two years to pin the recession on Trump. If Dem congress plays its cards right it'll further alienate Trump from working class moderates.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I feel like there's a really good chance Trump will take the blame if the economy blows up because it's really been almost non-stop coverage of his dubious economic moves and experts saying they're really bad and will do big damage. Trade Wars, humiliating himself repeatedly while China looks like the adult in the room, botched negotiations, the alienation of our trading allies, threatening the Fed, ignoring his advisors on every issue, the giant tax cut that nobody normal saw any benefit out of, these are things that can and will stick out in the memory in a way that previous Republicans president's economic moves did not.

This is compounded by the fact that modern algorythm-based stock trading is causing a lot of these effects in real-time in a way no President has had to deal with before, the fact that Donald himself has constantly pointed at the Stock Market as the ONLY worthwhile indicator of his economic successes, and the fact that many of his own followers constantly make it a talking point that the President's policies are going to cause short-term harm for theoretical long term gains off of America "no longer being exploited," or whatever. Trump is practically stacking the deck as hard as he can to ensure it will be difficult if not impossible to swing the blame away from him, compared to how things went with Bush Jr. and Reagan/Bush Sr. before him.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Stanislaus sheriff slams CA sanctuary policies after arrest of suspected cop-killer

quote:

A day laborer with gang affiliations and past arrests for drunken driving, who was in the country illegally, was captured outside Bakersfield in the high-profile killing of a Stanislaus County police officer, officials announced Friday.

But while the arrest of Gustavo Perez Arriaga, 33, ended a statewide manhunt in Wednesday’s killing of Newman police Cpl. Ronil Singh, revelations about the suspect’s immigration status and criminal history reignited criticism of California’s sanctuary state policy.

At a news conference Friday, Stanislaus County Sheriff Adam Christianson echoed President Trump’s calls for stricter border security as he railed against the state’s sanctuary law. The policy, signed in 2017 as SB54, prohibits local law enforcement from notifying or sharing detained immigrants’ information with federal immigration agents, when they are not accused of serious criminal charges.

Christianson, a Republican, has been a vocal critic of the policy and met with President Trump at the White House in May to speak out about the bill. The sheriff appears in a YouTube video posted by the White House seated beside Trump during the meeting.

On Friday, the sheriff said, “The last thing in the world I want to do is politicize the death of officer Singh.” He then used the case to criticize California’s law and suggested it led to the deadly encounter.

“We were prohibited — law enforcement was prohibited because of sanctuary laws and that led to the encounter with officer Singh,” Christianson said at Friday’s news conference. “The outcome could have been different if law enforcement wasn’t restricted, prohibited, or had their hands tied because of political interference.”

Christianson never said when Arriaga was arrested, but records show he was picked up for one DUI in Madera County on June 5, 2014 — years before the state’s sanctuary law took effect.

Christianson said the suspect came into the United States from Mexico “some time ago” and was arrested for drunken driving near Chowchilla (Madera County). It was not clear if Madera County officials notified immigration authorities about Arriaga’s arrest or whether he was previously deported.

“We’re not here to enforce federal immigration law — that’s not our job,” Christianson said. “But law enforcement should be able to turn people over to ICE who are gang members who victimize and exploit others.”

The sheriff’s comments came a day after Trump seized on the killing in his fight over border security and demanded Congress fund a U.S.-Mexico wall. The fight has been at the center of the government shutdown that began on Dec. 22.

“There is right now a full scale manhunt going on in California for an illegal immigrant accused of shooting and killing a police officer during a traffic stop,” Trump wrote on Twitter. “Time to get tough on Border Security. Build the Wall!”

Supporters of California’s policy pushed back on Christianson’s pointed statements Friday, underscoring that the law was written to encourage cooperation between law enforcement and immigrants, who may be reluctant to come forward if they are crime victims.

“This situation is more about what this person’s state of mind was and how he got into this situation, and it has less to do with the fact that he’s not a citizen,” said Bill Hing, a San Francisco immigration attorney and University of San Francisco law professor.

Arriaga — a day laborer who worked at miscellaneous farms and dairies around the central valley — surrendered early Friday outside a house surrounded by SWAT officers on the 8200 block of Brooks Lane just south of Bakersfield in the town of Lamont (Kern County), officials said. Authorities said he was fleeing to his native Mexico when he was captured.

Arriaga allegedly shot Singh — a 33-year-old husband and father of a 5-month-old boy — during a DUI stop around 1 a.m. Wednesday in Newman. Singh, too, immigrated to the United States, but he came legally from Fiji to pursue a lifelong dream of becoming a police officer.

Singh’s younger brother Reggie and other family members stood alongside the Stanislaus County sheriff’s officials at Friday’s news conference.

“Ronil Singh was my older brother. Yes, he’s not coming back, but there’s a lot of people out there that miss him and a lot of law enforcement people that I don’t know, who worked days and nights to make this happen,” Reggie Singh said through tears. “I’d like to thank you from the bottom of my heart.”

Kern County Sheriff Donny Youngblood said six people were in the home when Arriaga was arrested including some children. Deputies arrested three Bakersfield residents there on suspicion of aiding and abetting Arriaga. They are Bernabe Madrigal Castenada, 59, Erasmo Villegas, 36, and Maria Luisa Moreno, 57.

“When you use a firearm against a police officer, you can run but you cant hide,” Youngblood said. “When you attack someone doing an honorable profession, we leave no stone unturned.”

The Stanislaus County Sheriff’s Department additionally arrested Arriaga’s brother, 25-year-old Adrian Virgen, and a co-worker, Erik Razo Quiroz, 27, on suspicion of aiding Arriaga’s attempted escape from the country.

“They intentionally lied to us,” Christianson said of of the latter two suspects. “They tried to divert us off the investigation. They misled us. They provided information that was false all in an attempt to protect their brother.”

Arriaga was a known associate of the Sureńo street gang, Christianson said, and was pictured on one of his various Facebook pages posing with a gun and machete. In many of the photos, he is seen wearing a long silver chain similar to one the suspect was seen wearing in grainy security photos from a convenience store the night of the killing.

Deputies brought Singh’s handcuffs down to Kern County to place on Arriaga before he was transported to jail in Stanislaus County.

Wonder if the president might have an opinion on this case.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm not at all sure he can, but if he did I suspect the southern red senators would flip their poo poo.

He would actually get impeached and convicted if he did that. The stock market would crater as the economy came to a screeching halt and nose dived into a deep recession.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

selec posted:

Yeah, Chomski’s wrong too. It’s such a narrow gap of possibility, to actually see America disengage from a war, that you should leap on it ferociously when you see it.
We.
Are.
Not.
Disengaging.
From.
A.
War.

We're swapping US troops with US weapons that aren't currently committing a genocide for NATO troops with US weapons that are hell-bent on another genocide (that they also won't admit to)

In no way can trumps temper tantrum be construed as "disengagement", you have to be insanely broke-brained to think that.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I hope the people in that county vote that fuckface out on his rear end. Grandstanding dickhead deserves to lose his job for using his position as a soapbox and one of his fellow officer's corpses as a loudspeaker for his personal politics. I'm so sick of Sheriffs with dreams of right wing political grift. May they all end up like that one rear end in a top hat Clarke, already forgotten after selling his soul to Trump and getting nothing in return for it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sanguinia posted:

I hope the people in that county vote that fuckface out on his rear end. Grandstanding dickhead deserves to lose his job for using his position as a soapbox and one of his fellow officer's corpses as a loudspeaker for his personal politics. I'm so sick of Sheriffs with dreams of right wing political grift. May they all end up like that one rear end in a top hat Clarke, already forgotten after selling his soul to Trump and getting nothing in return for it.

It's Stanislaus County, they mostly agree with him.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

quote:

Wonder if the president might have an opinion on this case.

Anecdotally, it reminds me of my problem with anti-vaxers, in that if there was an actual verifiable problem with the system in place, these ridiculous complaints muddy the waters and make it harder to actually address.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

ricecult posted:

Anecdotally, it reminds me of my problem with anti-vaxers, in that if there was an actual verifiable problem with the system in place, these ridiculous complaints muddy the waters and make it harder to actually address.

That and they’re unrepentant child abusers.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

That and they’re unrepentant child abusers.

Yes, and certainly the more immediate evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I wouldn't call them evil, just very stupid and stubborn.