Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Bucnasti posted:

Every time compressors are mentioned someone will say "get one with a tank" regardless of what brush you're using or your situation.
The truth is that advice is way outdated. In the past cheap compressors tended to have inconsistent output (pulsing) and would wear out quickly, so having a tank meant they were more consistent and ran less so they lasted longer. Even the cheapest modern compressor is of a high enough quality that pulsing is no longer an issue and unless you're using one daily it will probably outlive you.
There are two key advantages of a tanked compressor over non-tanked:
  • Noise - since they only run long enough to fill the tank they make less overall noise
  • Moisture - The tank acts as a secondary water trap, so if you live in a high humidity area a tank can be helpful
If you can afford one, get a tank because it's nice to not have to listen to it chug away constantly, but if you're on a budget and not in a high-humidity area, save some money and get what you can afford.

That said, badger airbrush hoses use a different size connector than most compressor outputs, you'll need an adapter, you can get them on Amazon for like $8 or hunt one down at the hardware store for like $2.

A third thing you didn't mention is that most compressors are not designed to run constantly for any real length of time. If mine needs to run constantly for an hour it'll often overheat, having a tank lets it alternate being on and off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I own a patriot, an Iwata HP-C+ and a H&S infinity.

The patriot’s a really solid, relatively inexpensive airbrush. It’s the AK 47 of airbrushes.

If you have access to a model plane store, see if you can hold one. If it feels good in the hand, have at it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Bucnasti posted:

Every time compressors are mentioned someone will say "get one with a tank" regardless of what brush you're using or your situation.
The truth is that advice is way outdated. In the past cheap compressors tended to have inconsistent output (pulsing) and would wear out quickly, so having a tank meant they were more consistent and ran less so they lasted longer. Even the cheapest modern compressor is of a high enough quality that pulsing is no longer an issue and unless you're using one daily it will probably outlive you.
There are two key advantages of a tanked compressor over non-tanked:
  • Noise - since they only run long enough to fill the tank they make less overall noise
  • Moisture - The tank acts as a secondary water trap, so if you live in a high humidity area a tank can be helpful
If you can afford one, get a tank because it's nice to not have to listen to it chug away constantly, but if you're on a budget and not in a high-humidity area, save some money and get what you can afford.

That said, badger airbrush hoses use a different size connector than most compressor outputs, you'll need an adapter, you can get them on Amazon for like $8 or hunt one down at the hardware store for like $2.

lmao get one with a tank

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Tiny tanks nerds: I'm looking for a way to speed up painting 15mm tanks for desert war stuff.

In the past, for soviet tanks, I've used GW's Typhus Corrosion to simulate caked mud. It looks like a more scale appropriate mud effect than the GW battlemire, and it has the benefit that I can cake the track and roadwheels in it to make it look like the tank's been in muddy ground without making it look like it's just been towed out of a bog like the grittier effects stuff does.

A quick look at reference photos and photos from more modern conflicts says the same sort of thing happens in deserts too but with sand and grit, instead, leading to the track and roadwheels rapidly taking on a grey-yellow sandy tone instead of the existing camoflage and metal details, but I'm somewhat at loss on what to use for this because my local store's selection of paints is relatively poor. I'm assuming I need to venture out into more speciality retailers and I think possibly the thing I'm looking for is pigments, but I'm not entirely sure; some of them look like they have texture to them that'd parse as gritty caked-on dirt in 15mm, while others seem to be a very nice but not useful to me fading effect.

Can anyone help me out with this? I basically want a sand-coloured texture paint to cake up tracks and roadwheels with so I can expedite painting seventy trillion T-55s.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Do the same Typhus corrosion, then hit it with a sand coloured pigment.

The typhus will give the pigment the texture it needs to hold on to on flat panels.

Experiment with and without the typhus, as 15mm is decidedly small.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Finished up a model, which hasn't happened in a very long time.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 30, 2018

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
That's ridiculously gorgeous my man.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
Crosspostin' from 30k

General Olloth posted:

:toxx: Complete!

One full set of Calth* built and painted.

*equivalents, 30 power armor boys, 1 terminator HQ, 1 power armor HQ, 5 terminators, 1 contemptor. A few models got swapped out for full resin ones...

10x Tactical Squad 1

10x Tactical Squad 2

5x Support Squad with Flamers

Palatine Blades

Phoenix Terminators

Cataphractii Praetor

Legion Champion

Of course I noticed that I forgot one of the purity seals...

Contemptor

Full Shot

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Working my way through the Gloomhaven box! Gonna do me a group shot with my light box when I’m done but here’s the first tiny dude:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ijyt posted:

[A LOT OF loving EXCELLENT TANK PHOTOS]

Jesus Christ that’s a good looking tank.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

ijyt posted:

Xenomrph posted:

Jesus Christ that’s a good looking tank.

Wha...

:drat: I was just skimming through and I thought it was just a 3D render posted as a reference or something. That's an amazing paint job! :eyepop:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

ijyt posted:

This is gorgeous, dude

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

General Olloth posted:

Crosspostin' from 30k

Heeeeey purple and gold buddy!

My dude is from a different universe though. :D

ijyt posted:

What the gently caress tell me how you did that weathering immediately.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Trip report, it turns out airbrushing yellow armour is easy and basically cheating, however doing the black shoulder trim next to it gives me an insight into how a bomb defuser one day from retirement feels. :stare:

lookslikerain
Jan 10, 2014

If you find yourself in a social situation, make threats.

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Heeeeey purple and gold buddy!

Best colour combination.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Mr Teatime posted:

Trip report, it turns out airbrushing yellow armour is easy and basically cheating, however doing the black shoulder trim next to it gives me an insight into how a bomb defuser one day from retirement feels. :stare:

Latex masking goo is a huge pain in the rear end, but it's still less awful than trying to touch up airbrushing.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Cross-posting:

The whole crew:

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I finished up a warboss, really fun model to paint!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
The Attack Squig turned out great!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

ijyt posted:

Every time.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Our group is trying out Gaslands so I'm trying to convert some hotwheels. I painted a minimally converted hot rod to try and get an idea of how to weather it and I like how it turned out.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Chance II posted:

Our group is trying out Gaslands so I'm trying to convert some hotwheels. I painted a minimally converted hot rod to try and get an idea of how to weather it and I like how it turned out.

:perfect:

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

So I got my airbrush stuff in, but I am having an issue with the converter. I have tightened it as far as it possible can go, but it seems to be leaking. Would some kind of epoxy work for it, or is the conversion adapter faulty and just be sent back?

Using this:

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrush-Fitting-Conversion-Adapter-x/dp/B0038NJYHG

E>> Went as hard as I can with pliers to tighten it, it helped quite a bit, but still a tiny bit of release coming out. Is it normal to lose a little between the hose and brush?

Slandible fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 28, 2018

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Slandible posted:

So I got my airbrush stuff in, but I am having an issue with the converter. I have tightened it as far as it possible can go, but it seems to be leaking. Would some kind of epoxy work for it, or is the conversion adapter faulty and just be sent back?

Using this:

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrush-Fitting-Conversion-Adapter-x/dp/B0038NJYHG

Are you putting PTFE tape on the threads?

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I really tightened it up with pliers and dropped the psi to where it should be and it seems fine now.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

My ghetto-setup for getting straight and uniform lines. White tack, compass lines and dad's old slide-rule.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Slandible posted:

I really tightened it up with pliers and dropped the psi to where it should be and it seems fine now.

Metal to metal fittings that wou want to be air/water tight should nearly always have ptfe tape on the threads.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
So how does the Badger airbrush anniversary sale usually work? I heard that last year every model was $54 so if they follow suit with that pricing I'm definitely going to be looking to upgrade from my patriot to a Sotar. Is it usually like only a certain amount are available at the anniversary price so you have to be quick, or nah?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mikey Purp posted:

So how does the Badger airbrush anniversary sale usually work? I heard that last year every model was $54 so if they follow suit with that pricing I'm definitely going to be looking to upgrade from my patriot to a Sotar. Is it usually like only a certain amount are available at the anniversary price so you have to be quick, or nah?

No, if it's the same as last year it's a shitshow involving you emailing them and then they send a PayPal invoice and your airbrush gets sent to you some time (theoretically). I never actually got my sotar from last time...

lookslikerain
Jan 10, 2014

If you find yourself in a social situation, make threats.

Need some advice, anyone know how model scale banners nicely? I want to hang something under the barrel length ways. Was thinking of braiding golden thread for the rope but I want something that I can paint on to hang from it.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Cross-post from the 40K thread, because I'm a big dumb, and got my threads mixed up :(

inscrutable horse posted:

Quick and dirty dry fit, but I think my alternative chevron experiment worked out OK.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

lookslikerain posted:

Need some advice, anyone know how model scale banners nicely? I want to hang something under the barrel length ways. Was thinking of braiding golden thread for the rope but I want something that I can paint on to hang from it.

Quoted because I need to know the answer too, and to tell you your knight absolutely fucks

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

lookslikerain posted:

This guy on shapeways has bunch of different banners for knights, including several under-barrel ones.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I'm putting together the Primaris Redemptor Dreadnought, and I just realized that the little slot on the face-plate is actually cut-out of the model, not just a recessed bit. Why is that? I get that's where the marine inside is supposed to be looking out of, and that it would be dark, but it just seems like a odd modeling decision.

I'm actually tempted to put something inside of it, like an extra space marine head or something.

EDIT: Oh wow, the face plate just pops right on-and-off easily, and there's a big gap on the top of the main body. It seems like you are meant to stick a marine head & torso in there if you have one.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 29, 2018

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Eh just get some plastic sheeting, cut out a shape, heat it up with a hair dryer and bend it so it looks like it’s waving and save yourself $17 + shipping

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Booley posted:

No, if it's the same as last year it's a shitshow involving you emailing them and then they send a PayPal invoice and your airbrush gets sent to you some time (theoretically). I never actually got my sotar from last time...

Yeah my Krome was delivered to somebody, but not to me, and after a couple months of waiting for them to track things down (after waiting for almost two months to get it shipped in the first place), I finally gave up and bought one from Amazon for like $85. The next week they got back to me and were like "yeah it's gone, but we'll sell you another one at the anniversary price and throw in some extras".

I honestly doubt they'll do the same thing again, it sounded like it was a lot more trouble for them than it was worth.

In the end I don't even like the Krome, and switched to Sotar.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
No they are definitely doing the same thing again this year. They've been making count down posts on their Facebook page and everything. Maybe they'll be better prepared this year. I'll keep these anecdotes in mind when deciding if the sale price for the sotar is worth it, tho.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah my Krome was delivered to somebody, but not to me, and after a couple months of waiting for them to track things down (after waiting for almost two months to get it shipped in the first place), I finally gave up and bought one from Amazon for like $85. The next week they got back to me and were like "yeah it's gone, but we'll sell you another one at the anniversary price and throw in some extras".

I honestly doubt they'll do the same thing again, it sounded like it was a lot more trouble for them than it was worth.

In the end I don't even like the Krome, and switched to Sotar.

Wait, did they at least refund you?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

lookslikerain posted:

Knight's looking good so far.

Re Banners, if you want sculpted ones there are the shapeways options already mentioned, you could also use bitz sites and track down stuff like the high elf banners from WHFB, they may be of use.

Alternately you can go the traditional route of using paper, paint your design, cut it out, carefully roll/fold it and varnish it to keep it in position. You can do the same with the thin tin sheeting from stuff like tomato puree tubes. The tin stuff keeps its shape better but be careful with sharp edges.

For hanging it, you can wrap it around a cocktail stick and attach some fine jewellers chain to the ends, a bit of superglue will fix it in position if you don't want the banner swinging around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Mr Teatime posted:

First time builder/painter looking for some basing advice. I have the death guard from dark imperium and I had planned to do their bases in the method the Warhammer TV guy demonstrated here:

https://youtu.be/rcPIG0TUeTo

However when I started on the plague marines I tried out building up some of the bases with some cork to add some variation. Looking at them now there isn't much space left on those bases to slap the stirland mud texture paint onto that isn't cork. My question is will the texture paint still work visually when applied on the remaining free area and would it work to apply it to some of the raised cork areas? From a technical perspective would I need to seal the cork somehow before applying the texture?

Here are some of the current plague marines, they are only pinned right now so they can come off. Was planning to do them in a dirty white version of the old legion colours. Thoughts?

So I posted way back in June about starting out with these guys, ended up working away for a few months but they are now finished. Here are the results of a couple of them, really pleased how they came out. I especially like the nurglings on these guys.

I've also ended up buying a bunch more stuff to do so here are some WiP shots of more death guard stuff that I've now decided to try painting by a different method and the imperial fists from caving in and buying the supremacy force box. Kind of wish I had done crimson fists because they dont have shoulder pad trim to do, you can see how rough the first guys ended up being, guess I'll try some masking tape on the rest. The yellow still needs a wash too.