Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Loot in AL has always been a shitshow seesawing between "give the players fun things" and "b-b-b-b-but my verisimilitude" and this change will not be the last. Did they at least change it so that more than one person can get the good poo poo from a module?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I think nobody gets good poo poo now? To the point where you're supposed to not give out the stuff the published adventures say to give out? No clue how that works for plot critical items. I really can't imagine being an AL DM and doing anything short of goading my players into renouncing the AL rules and accepting the fun poo poo.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Darwinism posted:

Loot in AL has always been a shitshow seesawing between "give the players fun things" and "b-b-b-b-but my verisimilitude" and this change will not be the last. Did they at least change it so that more than one person can get the good poo poo from a module?

If an item would drop in an AL module, you now just unlock it for purchase. You get Treasure Points whenever you get Advancement Points (which are used in place of XP for milestone leveling). You buy magic items with Treasure Points.

So, effectively, if a module drops a Vorpal Sword, every player unlocks it for purchase and can choose whether or not to buy it if it's relevant to them.

If you were the player hoarding poo poo tons of magic items because you loot hoovered everything you could get, you hate this system.

If you were the person who was only taking the items they needed and fairly distributing everything, this system is fine.

If you were the person who never got poo poo, this is awesome for you.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

That prevents the table full of wizards from stabbing each other over the headbands of intellect, so I'm OK with this?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Yes. The overall system is a very big improvement. It has a ways to go, but as far as a complete overhaul, it's a good step in the right direction.

If I had it my way, I'd make all of the following changes for S9:
  • Reduce the cost of all items by 25%. This lets you get your first item at level 4 instead of 5, because you want people to get an item in Tier 1 which is nice for player retention, and lets people get some good feedback and feel strong at the end of the tier before they dive off the cliff into Tier 2.
  • Allow +X Weapons/Armor to be traded in for 25% credit for X+1. Right now, you can buy a +1 Longsword, but when you buy the +2, the +1 collects dust because there's no value in trading it and you can't sell it.
  • Make unlocks player-based instead of character-based. This will push people to run many different adventures instead of re-running the same mods for "meta" items.
  • Put some more low-level unlocks in higher tier content. Right now, if you don't get any unlocks of note in T1, which can often be fairly short (I just ran 1-5 in 4 total 4 hour modules), you'll have nothing to trade, and a lot of cool style-defining items are in the Uncommon and Rare tiers. Getting some more unlocks for lower tier stuff enables better trading and lets you make your build more individualized.
  • Find a happy medium for mundane treasure. Apparently WotC (not the AL staff) really didn't like people running around with big piles of gold, but taking away basically all mundane treasure is punishing to certain builds and immersion-breaking to everyone.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

That prevents the table full of wizards from stabbing each other over the headbands of intellect, so I'm OK with this?

Also, it was definitely the EKs and ATs stabbing each other for the Headbands of Intellect.

It was real sad when I was trying to build a Rogue and some particular folks got Super Ornery about wanting me to just use Belts of Giants Strength for attack/damage and ignoring my Dex so I could hoover up feats.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Yeah, I agree that the S8 changes have been more good than bad. The gold change was a bit baffling and I was pissed some of my fun items on my T3/T4 characters were taken away but I got over it. I haven’t played my T4 wizard yet since the change but I’ll be a lot more scared of taking hits without my shield guardian around.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Was an interesting read: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/changes-dd-adventurers-league-rewards

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Toshimo posted:

If an item would drop in an AL module, you now just unlock it for purchase. You get Treasure Points whenever you get Advancement Points (which are used in place of XP for milestone leveling). You buy magic items with Treasure Points.

So, effectively, if a module drops a Vorpal Sword, every player unlocks it for purchase and can choose whether or not to buy it if it's relevant to them.

If you were the player hoarding poo poo tons of magic items because you loot hoovered everything you could get, you hate this system.

If you were the person who was only taking the items they needed and fairly distributing everything, this system is fine.

If you were the person who never got poo poo, this is awesome for you.

I'm honestly amazed they went with the option that was better for more people, I might look back into local AL.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
A real opera singer created a College of Opera subclass for the Bard.

Article about it:

quote:

Earlier this week, Hannah Rose and Kelli Butler released a new "College of the Opera" bard subclass to use in Dungeons & Dragons' Fifth Edition. The new bard subclass is now available on DMs Guild, an online marketplace run by Wizards of the Coast that allows developers to design and sell content using official D&D content.

Not only does the new subclass add several exciting new abilities for bards, it's also inspired by Butler's experiences as an experienced opera singer. In addition to playing Dungeons & Dragons on several streaming shows, Butler is also a professional opera singer, having performed for the New Rochelle Opera and the St. Petersburg Opera as a soprano singer.

Like other bard subclasses, a bard can choose to join the College of the Opera when the reach 3rd level. Upon becoming a member of the College of the Opera, bards learn four additional languages (a nod to how many operas are performed in foreign languages) and gain the ability to cast shatter as a bard spell...since opera singers can literally shatter glass with their voice.

At higher levels, a College of the Opera bard can use one of three arias that provide valuable benefits either in or out of combat. The Aria Cantabile gives allies temporary hit points when they hear a bard's song of rest, the Aria di Bravura gives an opponent disadvantage if they miss a bard with an attack, and the Aria Parlante gives bards advantage on Charisma checks.

The subclass's best features come at 14th level, when a bard can use its Supporting Cast ability to gain Bardic Inspiration whenever an ally uses a Bardic Inspiration die. In essence, this gives a bard an inspiration die for their own use whenever they grant a die to one of their allies. In addition, a bard can also use their singing ability to capture someone's soul at 14th level, granting them benefits when interacting with that person and also affecting their ability to be resurrected. While capturing a soul might seem devious, a bard can also use that ability to protect someone's soul from being devoured or stolen from other parties.

COMMENTS
The "College of the Opera" is an extremely creative and fun bard subclass that should delight players who love playing as bards. In addition to providing bards with some clever new abilities, it's also a subclass that mixes in-combat abilities with some effects perfect for social encounters.

The new subclass can be purchased for $1.99 on the DMs Guild. You can check out Butler's opera work on her website and see Rose in action on the weekly Worlds Apart streaming show.

I know kind of want to see operas now to see where the bolded trope originated from.

It'd be dank if we got more classes like this made by people proficient in the trade. Like a survivalist making ranger subclasses, or a neopagan doing the same for druids and warlocks.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Libertad! posted:

It'd be dank if we got more classes like this made by people proficient in the trade. Like a survivalist making ranger subclasses, or a neopagan doing the same for druids and warlocks.

A fighter made by someone who has a clue about hand-to-hand fighting?

Libertad! posted:

I know kind of want to see operas now to see where the bolded trope originated from.

This sounds like a bit like a part from The Tales Of Hoffman. Sorta. Nope, that's almost the exact opposite.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Dec 29, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

AlphaDog posted:

A wizard by Criss Angel?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Azhais posted:

A wizard by Criss Angel?

a warlock by Charlie Sheen

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I mean you joke but a prestidigitation type character written by an actual close-up illusion practitioner could be amazing. Just seeing what kind of imagination that person would have when it comes to fictional worlds where real magic exists, when they can fully make you believe that coin loving vanished in a mundane world where thy did it by pure physical skill...

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

AL Treasure posted:

Spending Treasure Checkpoints

Unlike the rules given in XGE, DDAL does not require you to spend your treasure checkpoints immediately. You may bank them on your logsheet and spend them as desired. However, treasure checkpoints may not be spent on items above the tier at which the checkpoints were earned. Thus, treasure checkpoints earned at tier 1, may only be spent on items earned on tier 1 items, while tier 2 treasure points could be spent on tier 1 or 2 items.

That... is sort of literally how the extra treasure currencies work in MMORPGs (e.g. Valor and Justice points in World of Warcraft), isn't it?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sage Genesis posted:

That... is sort of literally how the extra treasure currencies work in MMORPGs (e.g. Valor and Justice points in World of Warcraft), isn't it?

not quite. Justice and Valor tokens were intended to be "catch-up" mechanics in the days when tier gearing was a lot stricter, so you could, for example, earn a weapon that was at the ilevel of Sunwell Plateau just from Justice tokens, without ever setting foot into Sunwell, because they didn't want you to have to go back to all the previous raids and build your itemization from there

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

gradenko_2000 posted:

not quite. Justice and Valor tokens were intended to be "catch-up" mechanics in the days when tier gearing was a lot stricter, so you could, for example, earn a weapon that was at the ilevel of Sunwell Plateau just from Justice tokens, without ever setting foot into Sunwell, because they didn't want you to have to go back to all the previous raids and build your itemization from there

Ok but intentions aside, you earn tokens in tiers which you can save up to purchase magic gear of said tiers. The mechanics are awfully similar.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sage Genesis posted:

Ok but intentions aside, you earn tokens in tiers which you can save up to purchase magic gear of said tiers. The mechanics are awfully similar.

no, I'm saying that the tokens let you earn magic gear of the current tier while doing lower/easier tier content

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Sage Genesis posted:

I kinda wish they would stole the potion mechanism from the Witcher to allow people to reload their potions "charges". That would make the potions far more reliable magic items.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

gradenko_2000 posted:

no, I'm saying that the tokens let you earn magic gear of the current tier while doing lower/easier tier content

Yes, that's what I said. You get tokens of X do purchase gear of X, tokens of Y to get gear of Y, etc. The difference is in the intention, catching up or just getting the gear at the "correct" dragon's hoard. The purpose of the mechanics aside, the mechanics themselves are still awfully similar. To get hung up on the tier at which you earn them, due to the catch-up intention, seems overly concerned with minutiae to me.

E:
Ah I think I see it now. When I said "you earn tokens in tier" you thought I meant, the same tier as the raids? I meant that Justice tokens get you Justice gear, Valor tokens get Valor gear, Conquest tokens get Conquest gear. That kind of thing.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Toplowtech posted:

I kinda wish they would stole the potion mechanism from the Witcher to allow people to reload their potions "charges". That would make the potions far more reliable magic items.

I dunno man, sounds a lot like encounter powers and "muh verisimilitude!" so that's probably way too much fun and ease of use for D&D. ;)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sage Genesis posted:

Ah I think I see it now. When I said "you earn tokens in tier" you thought I meant, the same tier as the raids? I meant that Justice tokens get you Justice gear, Valor tokens get Valor gear, Conquest tokens get Conquest gear. That kind of thing.

The text you quoted says that tier 1 treasure points can only be used to purchase tier 1 loot, while tier 2 treasure points can be used to purchase tier 1 or 2 loot.

The system I'm describing with WoW tokens is that Justice tokens, which were earned in 5-man heroics (among other places) could be used to purchase loot that was of comparable quality to the most difficult of raids, which would be if like "tier 1 treasure points" could be used to purchase "tier 2 loot"

I'm sorry, I'm trying not to be difficult or overly pedantic. I'll let it go after this if I still sound that way.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
In short, yes it bears similarities to MMO token systems. And, no, that's not necessarily bad.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

In short, yes it bears similarities to MMO token systems. And, no, that's not necessarily bad.

This I absolutely agree with.

(tangentially related, the entire "wealth-by-level" framework of 3e's loot system was also an attempt at "rationalizing" loot acquisition to a reliable pace, compared to the completely random loot tables of pre-WOTC D&D / pre-WoW MMOs, though perhaps reducing everything to a buy-only wishlist might have seemed excessive)

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Tokens for gear, faction grind, seasonal events, patches that piss off the community. Turns out 5e AL was the MMO the whole time!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Factions aren't really a thing anymore, in that your renown doesn't tie to a faction and you can have renown while factionless (but, weirdly, leaving a faction resets your renown).

However, they did add a neat little renown benefit: at the start of every module or HC chapter, you get one of the following, temporarily, based on your renown level:
  • Potion of Healing
  • Mundane item up to 100gp value
  • Inspiration
  • Potion of Supreme Healing/Elixir of Health
  • Vehicle with Noncombatant crew

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Toplowtech posted:

This makes me think of Flasks, i.e. reusable potions. Anyone tried anything like that before?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Infinite Karma posted:

This makes me think of Flasks, i.e. reusable potions. Anyone tried anything like that before?
I... think they're called magic items? Tons of items have uses per day, the only mechanical component to being a potion is that it's consumed. (I guess you need a mouth or intake of some sort.) Surely any reusable item can be flavored as a potion.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Infinite Karma posted:

Just make it like the alchemy jug? Costs a certain amount of alcohol per use or something to make.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I... think they're called magic items? Tons of items have uses per day, the only mechanical component to being a potion is that it's consumed. (I guess you need a mouth or intake of some sort.) Surely any reusable item can be flavored as a potion.
The point would be to "balance" them as bonus action minor buffs, instead of the existing (fairly powerful) magic items. Like "you have advantage on Str, Dex, and Con ability checks for 1 minute" or "you gain resistance to X damage for 3 rounds". Stuff comparable to a cantrip or a weaker level 1 spell. Maybe with the adder, "you can't gain the benefits of a different flask until your next long/short rest."

There aren't really potions of magic missile or spiritual weapon, is why I'm making kind of a distinction.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

AlphaDog posted:

There's an awful lot of fantasy HEMA* dudes on YouTube who are also into fantasy, so it could be cool if someone like that tossed their hat into the ring. Unfortunately more than a few have some whacked out political views which rear their ugly heads from time to time; Skallagrim is the only one I'd trust with this not to cause a shitstorm.

*Historical European Martial Arts

Related, there's this dude who trained at a Shaolin temple who did some videos on portrayals of his tradition in video games and such. It's a fun watch.

quote:

This sounds like a bit like a part from The Tales Of Hoffman. Sorta. Nope, that's almost the exact opposite.

So they give someone an extra soul? :spooky:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Libertad! posted:

So they give someone an extra soul? :spooky:

Nope, just in motive. A dude says he'll give his soul to the devil if he falls in love with the lady, and she leverages that to steal his soul (coincidentally causing him to fall in love with her) juat like she stole his rival's soul. The devil can't get his soul now, but that had nothing to do with her motivation.

E: probably wrong on detail. I'm not an opera nerd but my friend used to get me free tickets so I've seen a bunch (and misunderstood most of them probably) but you definitely can't beat opera for cheesy overblown drama so it's probably not a bad source of D&D material.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 30, 2018

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Heya guys I had a quick question about some thing I am thinking of doing in a game and I wanted to check how daft they sound.

I am tempted to have the Yuan Ti be inspired not by "Aztec" myth and weird traditions around heart ripping etc, but instead have them be closer to ancient Hellenistic/ Classical era Greek City states. Having them emphasise their lack of emotions as a good thing and their looks be more along the lines of southern Mediterranean snakes. Do you think that would make a more interesting spin on the whole idea rather than just the cliche stepped pyramids?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Alternatively, you actually make them mesoamerican-inspired rather than the pulp bastardization they currently are, instead of turning them into yet another ancient grecoroman civilization.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

Heya guys I had a quick question about some thing I am thinking of doing in a game and I wanted to check how daft they sound.

I am tempted to have the Yuan Ti be inspired not by "Aztec" myth and weird traditions around heart ripping etc, but instead have them be closer to ancient Hellenistic/ Classical era Greek City states. Having them emphasise their lack of emotions as a good thing and their looks be more along the lines of southern Mediterranean snakes. Do you think that would make a more interesting spin on the whole idea rather than just the cliche stepped pyramids?

Sounds cool, if unoriginal. Put in factions with rival greek philosophies too.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
So, anyone here familiar with Princes Of The Apocalypse? We seem to be having a problem with it.. spoilers below.

We're investigating an attack on a cart. We head out to a hall. On the way we pass a river keep, our wizard randomly throws a firebolt at their flag because he's bored, and it turns out to be run by an evil cult. We fight them for a bit then suffer attrition and flee.

We head back to the hall. On the way we call in at a monastery, they are very brusque and rude to us. We decide to scout them at night, it turns out to be run by an evil cult. We fight them for a bit then suffer attrition and flee, with some hint that they might have been the ones who attacked the cart.

We eventually get to the hall, where it turns out some Paladins are. They suggest we could investigate a nearby spire where people fly around on giant vultures and manticores because they like that sort of thing. We head out to the spire and they welcome us for a feast, but a whole bunch of alarm bells go off and Insight checks are triggered. It turns out to be run by an evil cult. We fight them for a bit then suffer attrition and flee. They apparently sent some people after us, but we avoid some aerial scouting parties then beat up two people who found us on foot.

Now we are all kind of stuck since we haven't any further leads on what we're supposed to be doing and we already know almost all the encounters we've found are too strong for us and are also now prepared for us. One player has suggested that we just try and join up with the next evil cult so that we have some allies against the others. Are we doing something dramatically wrong?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Ok, so AL recently unlocked this item as an option for everyone and I really liked it for my Bowbear Assassin:

Then I went back and read the RP fluff on it and was like... HOLD UP. I WANT IN ON THIS TRAIN.

So, I looked up Mechanus and it's what I remembered from 2E as Nirvana, most famous as the home of the Modrons.

It's a plane strewn across the Lawful axis, and being that my bugbear is LE (as the only evil option for AL is LE), I'm looking at revising his backstory to really go HAM on this concept.

Digging around I found this bit:

Yeah. This is EXTREMELY MY PACE.

What I'm looking for:
  1. Any other resources (especially sourcebooks) dealing in Mechanus/Nirvana, regardless of edition.
  2. LE-compatible factions/paragons in Mechanus.
  3. At higher Assassin levels, I'm going to be able to start creating false identities for myself. I'm looking for ways to integrate all of the above into my false identity network.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Toshimo posted:

So, I looked up Mechanus and it's what I remembered from 2E as Nirvana, most famous as the home of the Modrons.

That's a bit weird as it was called Mechanus in 2e. Nirvana was it's 1e name and it's current full name is The Clockwork Nirvana of Mechanus

To answer you question. The Monster Manual entry on Modrons should help as should the great Modron March adventure. Planes of Law from 2e would probably have the most on Mechanus.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 30, 2018

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Toshimo posted:

Ok, so AL recently unlocked this item as an option for everyone and I really liked it for my Bowbear Assassin:

Then I went back and read the RP fluff on it and was like... HOLD UP. I WANT IN ON THIS TRAIN.

It's a plane strewn across the Lawful axis, and being that my bugbear is LE (as the only evil option for AL is LE), I'm looking at revising his backstory to really go HAM on this concept.

Digging around I found this bit:

Yeah. This is EXTREMELY MY PACE.

What I'm looking for:
  1. Any other resources (especially sourcebooks) dealing in Mechanus/Nirvana, regardless of edition.
  3. At higher Assassin levels, I'm going to be able to start creating false identities for myself. I'm looking for ways to integrate all of the above into my false identity network.

If nothing else, the Mercykillers feature prominently (along with Mechanus itself) in Planescape:Torment, so that’s as good a place as any for a bunch of walls of text on the subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Toshimo posted:

What I'm looking for:

For the first two, the 2nd ed Planes of Law box, the core 2e Planescape books, and the Great Modron March adventure will all have some stuff in them.

From memory, a bunch of the Mechanus LN people and factions don't care very much about Good and Evil and could easily be something you're a part of unless you're letting "evil" get too far ahead of "lawful".

MonsterEnvy posted:

That's a bit weird as it was called Mechanus in 2e. Nirvana was it's 1e name and it's current full name is The Clockwork Nirvana of Mechanus

it didn't change until Planescape.

It's still Nirvana in the 2e DMG (and nine hells, seven heavens, twin paradises, etc).

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 30, 2018