Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Everyone wanted the o5 to go away (not me) and now that they're gone people are unhappy about it (you should be they were great)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
They came around before I got back into comics, I didn't like the concept so I just pretended they didn't exist, and now they're gone so it's that much easier. Onward and upward, I say!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I like them a lot, burmt I can't think of a more fitting reaction to the concept than Dick Rider going "I hate everything about that sentence"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Little Mac posted:

Everyone wanted the o5 to go away (not me) and now that they're gone people are unhappy about it (you should be they were great)

I think it’s less unhappy they are gone and more the fact they decided to reset everything. It was unnecessary just like the kids themselves

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I thought the O5 were a weird story choice but they turned out to be fun characters that obviously had a time limit which was a bummer. Resetting everything is dumb.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

I thought the O5 were a weird story choice but they turned out to be fun characters that obviously had a time limit which was a bummer. Resetting everything is dumb.

Yeah, that's the real thing. Nobody wanted them, but once they were around good stuff started to happen. Hitting the reset button is typical, but also depressing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

And they were a group of a dead character, one planned to be killed off, and 2 unsalvageable messes. Also iceman.

It was barely doubling up on anyone.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
And at least they weren't just vampire versions of existing X-men with "blood" affixed to their names.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Mutant X is a glorious mess and everything that derived from it is wonderful.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

rantmo posted:

Mutant X is a glorious mess and everything that derived from it is wonderful.

Can confirm, Mutant X Hank McCoy = Best Hank McCoy.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I am sorry to see the O5 go back. I liked Scott having space adventures with his dad and hanging out with Miles and Kamala, I liked Jean's development as she tried to avoid the miserable future fate had planned, and I liked Hank dabbling in the mystic arts and vowing to be nothing like the scumbag his present day self is, and Bobby was just fun and adorable.

I mean sure, there are a ridiculous number of alt versions of everyone around these days but at the same time, I enjoyed having them about, more so than their adult versions of late.

Also, if their memories are supposed to unlock at the appropriate moment, I guess Warren probably feels awkward around Laura now...

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

davebo posted:

And at least they weren't just vampire versions of existing X-men with "blood" affixed to their names.

Take that back about Bloodstorm! I miss vampire Jubilee, too.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I know it's futile to complain about comics flip-flopping on things like this, but it was only like 3 years ago that they had the whole Battle of the Atom event about how only nasty evil bad villains want to send the O5 back and staying in the present is totes awesome.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

And they've had a series of solo and team books focused on them in the last three years that I suppose didn't meet some threshold of popularity.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Dec 23, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Teenage Fansub posted:

And they've had a series of solo and team books focused on them in the last three years that I suppose didn't meet some threshold of popularity.

Sad, too. I liked Hopeless' Jean book.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
There were a couple of good stories with the O5, like Rucka's mini with Cyclops, but overall they came to embody a serious problem I've been having with modern Marvel, in that it's using a lot of time travel, alternate universes, dark futures, and so forth.

I can only assume it's the intellectual-property issue, where none of the writers want one of their ideas to transition into a major motion picture or video game and make millions without them, so they're churning out a lot of content that feels recycled.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
It’s a fair point but it’s also hard to see what can be done to avoid it under the current situation. Why blow your best ideas if it’s Disney who benefit the most from it while paying you the absolute bare minimum?

I keep recalling that thing Kieron Gillen said about making more from a sub 9k indie title he owns than writing for-hire a couple of Marvel books with two-three times the readership.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sentinel Red posted:

It’s a fair point but it’s also hard to see what can be done to avoid it under the current situation. Why blow your best ideas if it’s Disney who benefit the most from it while paying you the absolute bare minimum?

I keep recalling that thing Kieron Gillen said about making more from a sub 9k indie title he owns than writing for-hire a couple of Marvel books with two-three times the readership.

Even beyond that I'm willing to bet Matt Fraction and KSD have made more off licensing their Image stuff than they ever made at Marvel, and none of that has even gone into development yet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That Sex Criminals show is gonna win so many fuckin emmys.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

That Sex Criminals show is gonna win so many fuckin emmys.

I wonder how many people are going to tune in expecting something like "To Catch a Predator."

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

I can see the merit in the Ewing/Ellis approach where they're making massive continuity deep dives to mine it for gems, or in Ellis's case, reinventing big parts of it so effectively that nobody realizes it's old stuff. That's smart, it takes advantage of writing in an old, shared universe, and it's something you could do very effectively with the X-Men. Hell, that's half of what Kelly Thompson's been doing in the Rogue & Gambit book; the first arc was Sh'iar stuff, and the second is Thieves' and Assassin's Guild.

Making every second arc in every book about averting a dark future/fighting yourself from another dimension/dream sequences where everyone dies/fighting other heroes, though, is getting really tiresome. That's half my problem with the current Uncanny, in fact; it's just a bunch of old X-Men beats thrown into a blender without nuance and seasoned liberally with Rosenberg's bizarrely myopic take on Madrox.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wanderer posted:

Making every second arc in every book about averting a dark future/fighting yourself from another dimension/dream sequences where everyone dies/fighting other heroes, though, is getting really tiresome. That's half my problem with the current Uncanny, in fact; it's just a bunch of old X-Men beats thrown into a blender without nuance and seasoned liberally with Rosenberg's bizarrely myopic take on Madrox.

Do tell about Madrox.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Wanderer posted:

Also having everyone you fight be arbitrarily immune to telepathy so that nobody has to figure out how to write around Jean Grey. I mean, Christ, I get that she can be hard to write, but X-Men: Red was a perfectly game attempt to do it in a fun way, if writers are just going to find contrived ways to sideline her why did they bother bringing her back.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Uncanny X-men might as well be called "Road to Age of X-man" so the current book shouldn't be taken as indicative of how things will settle down.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Archyduchess posted:

Also having everyone you fight be arbitrarily immune to telepathy so that nobody has to figure out how to write around Jean Grey.

That much, I can at least understand. If you go back and read a lot of Claremont's stories with Xavier at once, it portrays the Marvel Universe as a place where surprisingly effective psi-shielding can be found for free in bowls on the counter at your local doctor's office.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, Claremont portrayed telepathy as far more limited. A normal human concentrating was capable of disrupting Xavier's attempts to read their thoughts, and someone with special training (like the "red triangle" bit he gives his own students) could resist effectively most of the time. There's one very memorable scene in the 80s where Xavier gets attacked by a (small) mob of anti-mutant bigots and like, seven normal people is too many for him to telepathically calm at once, so they beat him within an inch of his life.

It's mostly telepathy power bloat that raised the problem of every villain needing psi-shielding in the first place. Like, various stuff from the 90s, or the scenes from New X-Men where Emma Frost turns whole crowds of people into mind puppets, that set a new bar for what telepathy "was" in the X-Men setting, in effect just perfect seamless mind control unless your target had an extraordinary out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Android Blues posted:

It's mostly telepathy power bloat that raised the problem of every villain needing psi-shielding in the first place. Like, various stuff from the 90s, or the scenes from New X-Men where Emma Frost turns whole crowds of people into mind puppets, that set a new bar for what telepathy "was" in the X-Men setting, in effect just perfect seamless mind control unless your target had an extraordinary out.

I'm reminded than in a lot of superhero tabletop RPGs 'telepathy' and 'mind control' are both divided up into different things and that's for the best.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Dawgstar posted:

I'm reminded than in a lot of superhero tabletop RPGs 'telepathy' and 'mind control' are both divided up into different things and that's for the best.

That's also to facilitate characters who have mind control powers that are explicitly not telepathic, like the Purple Man and Mad Hatter.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 24, 2018

radlum
May 13, 2013
Are any of the more modern New Mutants runs any good? I saw the complete collection of Zeb Well's run recently and I was interested in reading it, but can't remember any opinions on it

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's been a while since I read Vol. 3 of New Mutants; I remember thoroughly enjoying the whole thing quite a bit, but years on honestly nothing really sticks out as memorable. Vol. 2 did absolutely nothing for me, though.

The recent New Mutants: Dead Souls is a good story that has the New Mutants in it, but it is not a good story about the New Mutants.

And if you haven't read them already, Ewing's run on New Avengers and then U.S.Avengers features first Sam and Roberto as main characters and has all the others as at least cameos. It's also one of the best bits of comics of the last ten years, that stuff besides.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Whichever series has Mephisto courting Magma is good stuff.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Rockslide sure had a time in Disassembled #7:
https://twitter.com/AshcanPress/status/1078041839234678785

:confused:

Dude got choked out by Glob too, apparently because the AoA switch made him have a throat. :confuoot:

I know the answer is because "it's an event" but how is it so disappointing across character and macro levels?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So they give him a nickname based on his last name that sounds like a first name and one that's also hard to figure how they got said nickname from said last name. I dunno, people seemed happy calling him Santo. You'd need to be Michael Scott to arrive at 'Vic.'

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 27, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Could be worse, they could start calling him Ric.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

How many hours in the day does Rosenburg have to defend his comic on Twitter? Never be an X-Men writer.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
What a weird thing to go to bat for. No one's forcing him to have to defend his bad comic.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Marvel staff get into dumb internet slapfights so often it might actually be policy.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The new X-Force series is pretty much more of the same. It's not aggressively bad, but it feels basically like everything else that's going on in the line right now. I like the idea of Kid Cable, but I don't have a grasp on his character yet, and I bounced off of Extermination pretty hard so no idea what he's like in that.

I did finally go back and finish Weapon X a couple weeks ago, and while there were stretches of it I didn't care for, the Hulkverine arc was surprisingly good and the final arc with everybody going to Hell was really fun. It was the only time I really cared for Good Sabretooth as a character, to the point that finally undoing that note actually felt a bit sad.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I read the X-Men Holiday Special. The Jubilee connecting story was fun, although I'd forgotten that she had a kid. And was/is a vampire. I've always assumed that Christmas based comics like this are produced both for longtime fans and for frantic parents/grandparents to grab to stuff in some kid's stocking. If that's still the case, then the Domino story should have created some interesting discussions round the Yule log.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Dawgstar posted:

So they give him a nickname based on his last name that sounds like a first name and one that's also hard to figure how they got said nickname from said last name. I dunno, people seemed happy calling him Santo. You'd need to be Michael Scott to arrive at 'Vic.'

Isn't Anole's first name Victor? I just bet he hosed up and nobody caught it.