Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

I kinda feel for this guy, idiotic as he is. I was not allowed into a fancy pants club for my cousin's wedding because I was wearing tennis shoes. That event was smart casual as well. When the gently caress did 'smart casual' even become a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

As soon as I saw the headline, I was like "there's no way this motherfucker was sober" and bingo:

quote:

After a brief search of the area, police arrested and charged Angel Huerta, 27, of Sacramento, with felony DUI, felony hit-and-run, kidnapping and violation of parole, KTXL reported. He was on parole for robbery and a previous felony DUI.

They also hit him with a kidnapping charge because gently caress you, you stupid rear end in a top hat

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

They're the same age tho, coulda been a classic rom-com meet cute :allears:

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Someone’s pitching that screenplay right now

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Seth Rogen needs to pay his bills too

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Krankenstyle posted:

They're the same age tho, coulda been a classic rom-com meet cute :allears:

A remake of "When Harry met Sally", starring Charlie Sheen as the lovable felon and Shelly Duvall as the unwitting victim who falls for him.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

A remake of "When Harry met Sally", starring Charlie Sheen as the lovable felon and Shelly Duvall as the unwitting victim who falls for him.

didn't Charlie Sheen already play a lovable felon? With Kristy Swanson, I think

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Charlie sheen on the growing list of notable actors who are method living

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Randaconda posted:

didn't Charlie Sheen already play a lovable felon? With Kristy Swanson, I think

You're right, I had no idea that he had a movie like that. "The Chase is a 1994 American action comedy film directed by Adam Rifkin and starring Charlie Sheen and Kristy Swanson. The film follows a wrongfully-convicted man who kidnaps a wealthy heiress and leads police on a lengthy car chase in an attempt to escape prison."

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like to read dailymail fluff stuff cause the world is sadness and pain anyway, but the title and little snippet from his article pisses me off without having to go any further.

At last! After a life of privilege as a white, able-bodied male, now I've turned 65 I'm finally part of a victimised minority, writes TOM UTLEY
"Hurrah! After a lifetime of privilege — as a white, male, middle-class, able-bodied heterosexual — I can finally stake my claim to being the victim of an -ism"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-6534133/At-Ive-turned-65-Im-finally-victimised-minority-writes-TOM-UTLEY.html

Hurrah? Was subjugation something terribly missing in your life until now? Congrats...?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

quote:

When police were called to the scene around 5:40 p.m. Sunday all they found was the skateboarder’s shoes and a skateboard, KTXL reported.
Dead

Wait this isn't the OSHA thread.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cinni posted:

Hurrah? Was subjugation something terribly missing in your life until now? Congrats...?

Utley is a Roman Catholic who has spent the past 20 years or so whinging about how he feels personally victimised by smoking bans.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah, haha now it makes more sense. I am still trying to learn the who's who of their op-eds, learning about Katie Hopkins was bad enough.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

https://m.eonline.com/news/999919/did-grover-drop-an-f-bomb-on-sesame-street-the-internet-is-divided

The Alleged F bomb can be heard here:
https://mobile.twitter.com/jiveDurkey/status/1078372865177735170

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cinni posted:

Ah, haha now it makes more sense. I am still trying to learn the who's who of their op-eds, learning about Katie Hopkins was bad enough.

Off the top of my head:

Well, they're a right shower. Tom Utley is more or less as I have described him; Stephen Glover is similar, except not a despicable Catholic; Peter Oborne is also similar except I think he supported the Human Rights Act largely on the basis that he thinks Winston Churchill would have been for it. Quentin Letts always came off to me like an RE teacher who flunked out of a seminary and has a sideline writing pamphlets denouncing the story of Noah for being global warming propaganda; he once wrote a book called 50 People Who Buggered Up Britain (I have a signed copy, for some reason; I think it was a Christmas gift my parents got me about 10 years ago) and included Margaret Thatcher as one entry, arguing that she "buggered up Britain" by not being right-wing enough.

Richard Littlejohn is like the stereotypical extreme right-wing taxi driver who is keen to tell all his fares about how "they" should a) be strung-up; or b) all be sent back where they came from was given a column; he's the sort of guy who gripes about how rappers are allowed to use the n-word but he gets in trouble when he shouts it at football matches; the perennial joke with him is that he loves Britain so much that he's lived in Florida for most of the past decade; however, the one thing that distinguishes him from the rest is that he's an extreme right-wing republican who hates the Queen.

Melanie Phillips no longer writes for them but when she did, she was the absolute worst in my opinion; she was once left-wing and I find that the right-wingers who were once left-wing always seem to be the ones who have gone farthest to the right. She had and continues to have a very specific notion of anti-Semitism which can be summed up as "disagrees with Benjamin Netanyahu"; she once accused Stephen Fry and other prominent British Jews of supporting a second Holocaust because she didn't think they liked the Israeli government enough; probably closest to the American far-right talk radio hosts you have. As I say, though, she's no longer with the Mail.

Peter Hitchens, who writes for the Sunday edition, is... well, his nickname is "Bonkers" for a reason. He is Christopher Hitchens's brother. Christopher Hitchens was a self-declared Marxist and antitheist who nonetheless became a prominent apologist for the Bush administration and neoconservatism in general, likely because he decided Islam was a bigger threat than Christianity or something like that. Peter Hitchens is a different creature altogether. He is a paleoconservative; a man who thinks the Conservative Party sold out when Sir Robert Peel repealed the Corn Laws and (apparently) literally believes that David Cameron and George Osborne were Trotsykists. But the single most bizarre thing about him? He seems to really, really, really like Jeremy Corbyn.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

I 100% hear whichever one I'm reading at the time. It's great.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pik_d posted:

I 100% hear whichever one I'm reading at the time. It's great.

Same, it's such a weird thing.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Same, it's such a weird thing.

I could only hear the 'fuckin' one at first, but once I read the another version I can choose to hear whichever I want.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Domus posted:

When the gently caress did 'smart casual' even become a thing?

Almost a hundred years ago.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Almost a hundred years ago.

Yeah, it's been around forever. It usually means no shorts, no jeans, collared shirt and no sandals/sneakers.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

One time I was going with a friend to a birthday party that was being held at a karaoke room. We had on collared shirts but the doorman stopped us like "dress code is smart casual, you ain't even casual" :drat:

We did get in after calling up the birthday girl but lmao we got owned

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Casual actually just means you don't need a tie and jacket. It's still far more dressed up than what people typically wear nowadays compared to when you were expected to own a minimum of 2 suits

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Lone Badger posted:

I could only hear the 'fuckin' one at first, but once I read the another version I can choose to hear whichever I want.

I can only hear the correct version and I have no earthly idea how anyone could hear 'fuckin' in that clip. It's not even the right number if syllables.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, it's been around forever. It usually means no shorts, no jeans, collared shirt and no sandals/sneakers.

rodbeard posted:

Casual actually just means you don't need a tie and jacket. It's still far more dressed up than what people typically wear nowadays compared to when you were expected to own a minimum of 2 suits

So what's business casual? I've never heard of "smart casual".

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I can only hear the correct version and I have no earthly idea how anyone could hear 'fuckin' in that clip. It's not even the right number if syllables.

"That sounds like an" and "that's a fuckin' " have the same number of syllables. THAT'S a fuckin' EXCELLENT idea!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rodbeard posted:

People give Alanis Morissette a hard time for her definition of the word "ironic" when the far more annoying one was Jewel's definition of the word "casualty".

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Ommin posted:

So what's business casual? I've never heard of "smart casual".

i think smart casual is just a clever way to say "no black people" if you want it to be, otherwise its just a license for your doorman to harass anyone he feels like

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Former DILF posted:

i think smart casual is just a clever way to say "no black people" if you want it to be, otherwise its just a license for your doorman to harass anyone he feels like

In my experience even when it's not racist or fly by the seat of your pants capricious it's one of those things where even if you can find a group of people who agree it exists and agree that there's a single, standard definition they all disagree on what that definition actually is.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Anything that bans basic sneakers isn't loving "casual" anything.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Business casual should be jacket, tie, and nothing else.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I tried that once and got arrested for public nudity.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

See that could be avoided if you moved somewhere nudity isn't illegal, like wonderful WA.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Any place that expects me to wear anything better than a polo is not a place for me

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Former DILF posted:

In my case we were so white one of us was ginger.

Tbf, it was windy and our hair wasn't as slick as it was 8 hrs earlier

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I’m going to blow the lid off this social conundrum and announce that people should just loving say what clothes are permitted and what are forbidden.

My least favorite is weddings when they say “Creative black tie” or “creative cocktail attire.”

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Lot of goons showing they've been denied entry to places for looking like goons.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

jobson groeth posted:

Lot of goons showing they've been denied entry to places for looking like goons.

My anecdote is from 2007. Literally the only time ive been denied, sucka

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

AlbieQuirky posted:

I’m going to blow the lid off this social conundrum and announce that people should just loving say what clothes are permitted and what are forbidden.

My least favorite is weddings when they say “Creative black tie” or “creative cocktail attire.”

I don't get invited to fancy parties, so this is what I think when I hear "creative black tie":

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Scathach posted:

See that could be avoided if you moved somewhere nudity isn't illegal, like wonderful WA.
I don't want no bigfoots peeping at my titties tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Azathoth posted:

I don't get invited to fancy parties, so this is what I think when I hear "creative black tie":

That would actually be creative, so don’t expect that.