Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

Boy now that's a shock.

Yeah, sjob legacy in california is we now have to have plates on our new cars when we leave the lot.

Thanks fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Motronic posted:

I think I get where we're missing each other. I'm seeing "robot money making mindset" and you're seeing "image projection".

I don't doubt there is a mix of this tilted one way or the other depending on who we're talking about specifically.

Yeah that point lost me. So he's being a mega douche by...not flagrantly flaunting his ultra wealth?

You just can't win when it comes to people, eh

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
BWM: having an expensive car for appearances.
Also BWM: having a cheap car for appearances.

It’s not that hard people! The only thing that matters to everyone we don’t like is how they look.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The original context was that people who want to seem wealthy worry about having a common car in the driveway because it will make them 'look poor', when really wealthy people don't care about driving a poo poo car they happen to like because their wealth projection operates at a whole different level. No one who knows who Buffett is would see him in an old VW and suspect that his wealth is buoyed by reckless credit, they'd just assume he's kind of weird. The people in the earlier post worry about it because they're not really so wealthy to avoid that suspicion (and it might be true).

I mean that use is prolific enough to basically be a story trope (the humble/simple seeming man is actually immensely powerful/rich, etc) it just also happens to be true in certain alignments.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Quick reminder that being alive itself is, in fact, BWM and a colossal waste of resources

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That is the very topic at hand in D&D's Climate Change thread, right this moment!

Don't read it though. Someone is currently being shamed for getting their wife pregnant instead of adopting, and a conversation about the $50,000 "adoption fee" has turned in to pure vitriol over the cost to raise a child.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SiGmA_X posted:

Berkshire pays something like a half million a year for Buffets security. I assume he has a tail, but I could be wrong.

E: also I'm jealous of his 5min commute...

My commute is pretty similar. I think I clocked in at 6 minutes today because of blowing snow.

Also the term y'all are trying to find is "$30,000 millionaire."

quote:

Elusive and, some say, mythical, the $30,000 millionaire is a creature of legend among the denizens of Dallas nightlife. Used frequently as a term of derision, the $30,000 millionaire is often referenced but rarely captured because it is a master of camouflage: $30,000 millionaires live above their means, usually with the aid of multiple credit cards and sympathetic family units, spending more money than they make on items such as leased luxury cars, designer clothing and $14 drinks.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 29, 2018

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm executor for my mom's estate and we found a huge stash of silver coins that her mother had bought/collected since the 1980's. This included a complete 25 coin 'Treasures of the Caribbean' set from the Franklin Mint in a decorative case with a pile of CoA forms that retailed for $800 in 1989. I vowed to not let this poo poo go to another generation and sold it for less than the raw value of the silver. All the heirs will get more utilization out of the large 5 topping pizza they can now buy with their share of the proceeds.

Collectibles are a fool's game.

My dad apparently had a handful of really valuable comic books that my grandma threw out and it effectively turned him into a hoarder. There are now like 30 banker boxes stuffed to the brim with comics from the late 80's and early 90's in his basement (until like '96 when I was 5 he says he went to a comic shop here and bought like a full shopping bag of comics every payday) that he has no interest in dealing with anymore and expects me to sort through after he dies. He pulled me aside a few years ago and said that when he was gone he wanted me to make sure I got fair value for his comics, guns, and knives.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Power of Pecota posted:

My dad apparently had a handful of really valuable comic books that my grandma threw out and it effectively turned him into a hoarder. There are now like 30 banker boxes stuffed to the brim with comics from the late 80's and early 90's in his basement (until like '96 when I was 5 he says he went to a comic shop here and bought like a full shopping bag of comics every payday) that he has no interest in dealing with anymore and expects me to sort through after he dies. He pulled me aside a few years ago and said that when he was gone he wanted me to make sure I got fair value for his comics, guns, and knives.

The good news is that you can basically just light those comics on fire. Everybody got into the comic collecting business after baseball cards tanked in the late 1980s, so everybody's sitting on the same batch of worthless comics expecting them to end up worth millions. (I ran a shop in the 1990s and used to love breaking the news to people about their hoarded black bag Death of Superman issues. "I'll take that longbox off your hands for five dollars." "What? You'll only give me five dollars?" "No, if you give me five dollars I'll throw them away for you.")

kazmeyer fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 29, 2018

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That is the very topic at hand in D&D's Climate Change thread, right this moment!

Don't read it though. Someone is currently being shamed for getting their wife pregnant instead of adopting, and a conversation about the $50,000 "adoption fee" has turned in to pure vitriol over the cost to raise a child.

That thread has the greatest headcase to sane poster ratio in DnD. You know it's gonna be good when avshalom is by far the best poster.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ashcans posted:

because their wealth projection operates at a whole different level

Don't confuse attention whores doing well that have decided to mortgage themselves onto the desperate brink of appearing wealthy with actually wealthy people.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

My wife's uncle died of a rare form of cancer in November 2017. Since it was probably tied to the work he did for a national lab, they gave his widow $250k in compensation. She's in her late 50s/early 60s so that money would have been helpful for her if/when she retires. Instead, she has used a decent chunk of it buying and trading in increasingly-expensive cars that she eventually either grows tired of or finds some small flaw with. The most recent? A $65k Inifiniti. And earlier this week, that Infiniti was totaled in a multi-car collision.

I'm dreading the news of whatever she gets next since it'll inevitably come with stories about how she got "such a great deal" by being the sort of customer who demands "nicely" for changes to be made in her favor, all while whining because my wife and I didn't do as she said when we were looking for a vehicle last year.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Ashcans posted:

The original context was that people who want to seem wealthy worry about having a common car in the driveway because it will make them 'look poor', when really wealthy people don't care about driving a poo poo car they happen to like because their wealth projection operates at a whole different level. No one who knows who Buffett is would see him in an old VW and suspect that his wealth is buoyed by reckless credit, they'd just assume he's kind of weird. The people in the earlier post worry about it because they're not really so wealthy to avoid that suspicion (and it might be true).

I mean that use is prolific enough to basically be a story trope (the humble/simple seeming man is actually immensely powerful/rich, etc) it just also happens to be true in certain alignments.

Plenty of really wealthy people own expensive as gently caress cars though, and plenty of other luxuries.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

brugroffil posted:

Plenty of really wealthy people own expensive as gently caress cars though, and plenty of other luxuries.

But they also overwhelmingly don't have a public profile.

It's when you want both that you have to start playing games with public perception. Or if the reason for your wealth necessitates that level of publicity.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Sundae posted:

That thread has the greatest headcase to sane poster ratio in DnD. You know it's gonna be good when avshalom is by far the best poster.

I reserve the right to punish this thread by sending it to D&D

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

brugroffil posted:

The point isn’t that really wealthy people are frugal. It’s that really wealthy people usually don’t go around demanding things to make sure that nobody mistakes them for a poor person.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

incoherent posted:

Yeah, sjob legacy in california is we now have to have plates on our new cars when we leave the lot.

Thanks fucker.

Is it that hard to do? In BC even the shadiest used car dealerships have an insurance broker on site with a selection of license plates ready to stick on whatever you buy. If you want a custom plate then you can get a printed piece of paper that you attach to the window until it shows up.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Anyone using private adoption and spending 50k for it is bad with money, Foster care and adopt and get free medical for the child you get placed with till they are 18 and give a kid a home and love :unsmith:
Next year :unsmith:

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
From the "weird poo poo your ex did" on GBS:

quote:

Then there was the time she bought two horses on Ebay because they were "cheap" and figured she could flip 'em for a sweet profit. I mean sure we had an extra bedroom, but we lived downtown in a third floor walk up and horses don't like stairs.

:stonk:

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Power of Pecota posted:

About a decade ago I had the task of liquidating a store's comic collection and unless it's from within the last month, you will probably not get cover value. This is mainly because the reseller can flip them to other comic book stores pretty easily since these issues are still in demand. Most successful, i.e. surviving, comic book stores want nothing to do with back issues, unless they're notable or from before people cared about comics, because the long boxes full of comics are dead weight that take up valuable floor space and never disappear. People would come in every now and then with a box of comics and a price guide and we wouldn't even look at them because even if you bought them for low enough to turn a profit, good luck finding someone who wants to buy it. Special issues have some value, variant covers are the worst scam to happen to comics, but again, good luck finding someone who wants to spend $20 on a different cover version of a book they can get for a tenth of the price. Most the time too it's a generic issue with no greater importance for the character or series so it's not like there's a demand for it either.

The really valuable comics are all stuff from before 1975? because comics were such a niche thing that no one really bothered to collect or take care of them. The only reason old comics have value is because there's so few of them because people use to recycle them or use them for stuff like lining bird cages. The paper quality was also bad too so they never held together unless you actively worked to keep them in good condition. Even then, you still have to find someone who wants to spend $50 on a single issue of the JLA where they party with Pat Boone or whatever.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 29, 2018

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

This is a small personal BWM story, but I'm in the process of cleaning out my basement over the holidays and I come across my stash of old baseball and basketball cards. I didn't count, but my guess is that I have around 3,000 cards bought between 88 and 93 or so. All of them are worthless, literally. What few places out there that still sell cards won't even look at cards from this era because they were so overproduced. I'm pretty sure I dropped a few hundred dollars on cards back then over that whole time period, and I would have been between 7-12, so it's not like I had lots of income to throw around. God I wish I had done anything else with that money.

Yeah, one has to remember the spending power involved. When I last moved I dug out my old MtG collection, and while a fair few of the cards are actually quite valuable now (even adjusting for inflation/lost interest) I got them at an age where money was really tight, where it is now actually rather a huge hassle to sell them at the prices they can in principle fetch. Never collect anything.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
God, the only remaining collectible I have left from my childhood are the coins. Real coins, not like Disney anniversary silver plated whatever’s.

And maybe a box of Pokémon cards somewhere. I passed off my MtG box to a friend that still played a few years ago.

BWM: Paying a premium to get boosters from an out of print set to find rare cards for god knows some reason as a 13 year old.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Yeah, one has to remember the spending power involved. When I last moved I dug out my old MtG collection, and while a fair few of the cards are actually quite valuable now (even adjusting for inflation/lost interest) I got them at an age where money was really tight, where it is now actually rather a huge hassle to sell them at the prices they can in principle fetch. Never collect anything.

If you can find a gaming store, they will likely buy some of those Magic cards. I just sold some old cards pretty easily and got like actual money for them. Sorry for the self posting, have a link.

https://reddit.app.link/5AyFbMwr4S

quote:

A distant friend of my wife's has recently been dumped by her boyfriend who she was living with, and is now living with us in our spare room. She is paying us $400/month and AFAIK a one-bedroom apt in our area would be well over $1k/month. She does not have any family to turn to. I'm willing to help her in the short term, but she has no exit strategy and I'm motivated to get my downstairs back. She shared some of her financial issues with me and I'm posting on here for ideas to suggest to her.

She is a 42 year old secretary making ~$45k/yr and her net take-home is ~$2200/month. She currently drives a 2017 pickup that was worth $40k new. She previously owned 2 vehicles with loans that she was upside down on, and a local dealership took them both in on trade and rolled the loan in with this new truck that was her "dream truck". The result is an 88 month $56k car loan at 7% interest, with a monthly payment of over $900. Additionally she has another $350 monthly debt payment on ~$13k debt (not sure on terms). I believe that is the extent of her debt. She also owns a horse, and I don't know much about the expenses associated with that.

What's a reasonable course of action to get her finances under control so she can afford her own place?

I don’t think I saw this one posted. A double whammy.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I wonder how many upside down horses were rolled into that payment.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

:sever:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

TraderStav posted:

I wonder how many upside down horses were rolled into that payment.

Where's that horse suplex gif again?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I Like Jell-O
May 19, 2004
I really do.

The responses in that thread really bug me. It's like the Reddit hive mind can't reply with any answer except "buy a beater" when anyone mentions a car loan, regardless of the circumstances. For this lady, buying a beater was the correct answer several car loans ago, but at this point she is so far upside down on the loan her only real option is to keep paying it. If she's smart, she'll learn from her experiences, not get in further debt, and she might have more options 4 or 5 years down the road. I'm not holding my breath, but people do learn sometimes.

Selling the horse, however, should be the obvious first step to fixing her situation.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Probably underwater on the horse as well. Really though, at $56k loan she might as well let them repo it.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I Like Jell-O posted:

Selling the horse, however, should be the obvious first step to fixing her situation.

But it's her dream horse!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
https://imgur.com/mv8C1E1

quote:

At 13 february we opened our pub, place is very nice, beer, tea, cakes looks good. Nobody showed :(. Second day there was one person.
Obviously we forgot, maybe wanted to forget, important keystone - marketing.
Jesus, come on.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It was doomed from the start like 99% of restaurants, they just got a head start on the destruction of their dream! :v:

Cheating on his GF/business partner is just the cherry on the poo poo sundae.

I Like Jell-O
May 19, 2004
I really do.

Harry posted:

Probably underwater on the horse as well. Really though, at $56k loan she might as well let them repo it.

That wouldn't really solve anything, though, as she'd still owe the difference between the loan and the value of the truck. She'd end up in just as much debt, but no transportation. It would only make sense if she then bought a reliable used car and declared bankruptcy. That requires a certain amount of capital that she probably doesn't have.

It's quite a hole she's dug herself into, but as long as she stops digging and stays disciplined with money she should be able to dig herself out. I don't have high hopes, because horse person, but you never know.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

I Like Jell-O posted:

That wouldn't really solve anything, though, as she'd still owe the difference between the loan and the value of the truck. She'd end up in just as much debt, but no transportation. It would only make sense if she then bought a reliable used car and declared bankruptcy. That requires a certain amount of capital that she probably doesn't have.

It's quite a hole she's dug herself into, but as long as she stops digging and stays disciplined with money she should be able to dig herself out. I don't have high hopes, because horse person, but you never know.

She's paying $900 a month for the truck and she has no permanent address. I'm guessing she will have about 3 months of use before repo'ed which means $2700 at least. Depending on the state, she very well could be judgement proof.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Haifisch posted:

It was doomed from the start like 99% of restaurants, they just got a head start on the destruction of their dream! :v:

Cheating on his GF/business partner is just the cherry on the poo poo sundae.

Not that it matters, but I believe they broke up before the other woman was in the picture. Sounds like they broke up before they even opened - the stress of opening a restaurant with a recent ex sounds like literal hell to me.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ah, time shares.

Timeshare and How to Unload (self.personalfinance)

submitted 12 minutes ago by mustangsally14
https://old.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/ab0xmn/timeshare_and_how_to_unload/

quote:

My parents bought a time share some 10 years ago with the Vistana Vacation ownership. They were convinced last year to switch to a points based system with SPG in which they get 81,000 star options per year. The total amount due was 29k with a 13.9% interest rate. I know this was a terrible financial decision overall. How do I get them out of this now? What's the best way forward to make them not lose all their money. They have 1 year banked and an additional 50,000 Starpoints from the deal. I would really appreciate any advice, and please let me know if I need to provide any details.

.....they got suckered a second time. And didn't even get a second time share out of it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flew over to WI, need overall housing/budgeting advice. (self.personalfinance)

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/ab0ip9/flew_over_to_wi_need_overall_housingbudgeting/ posted:

Some context: (Sorry if this doesn't belong in this sub.) In October I stopped working in NY and sort of coasted off of my savings until this December. My boyfriend who lives in WI had the option to terminate his lease early and took it so that we could move in together. Right now I'm going to be working here for ~9.50/h full time starting in January. The main problem right now is housing.

The places we've applied to so far seem to dislike us because I just moved and am not working yet or because my last pay stubs were from October and I guess that raises some red flags (I honestly thought me finding a job so quickly and having a decent credit score would be enough to show that I'm a competent tenant/not a liability but I guess I'm wrong.)

My boyfriend used his savings for his termination fee + other surprise expenses and I'm pretty much dry right now and coasting off of my credit card. I don't think this is too much of a problem right now because I can afford to take the hit to my credit and can pay it all off in January but that's only true if we find housing. So I need some advice/resources for finding housing.

Some general info:

* Both of us are 21
* My boyfriend's credit score is just above 650, mine is roughly 730 last I checked.
* I have ~120 in my checking account, 120 in cash, ~1.2k available credit, and another ~0.5k available credit via Paypal Credit. My boyfriend doesn't have a credit card and as far as this post is concerned is basically dry.
* My boyfriend's last pay stub was from this month, mine was from October (or half way through this January since pay is biweekly.)
* Our total monthly income would be somewhere around 2.1k before any reductions.
* Worst case scenario is he moves back in with his parents and I move over overseas to start fresh, but this would have a strong negative impact on his health and composure. We're both obviously trying to avoid this.

Right now it looks like either the both of us are going to be staying in a hotel until things get better or he'll move back with his parents and I'll stay in a hotel until can get things sorted out. I can (barely) afford to stay at a hotel alone while I work here (I'm going to have a electric burner to cook on and utilize the free breakfast to try and cut down on food costs) but this is obviously a short term solution and I can't seem to find a place that doesn't view me as a liability. Plus between the hotel/food expenses and my income those application/holding fees are going to start adding up really fast. Could you give me some advice?
"My BF destroyed his savings and housing situation before I moved here, and I've been slowly emptying my savings over the past few months. For soem reason we're having trouble finding housing on short notice with ~$200 in hand? Please advise."

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Haifisch posted:

Flew over to WI, need overall housing/budgeting advice. (self.personalfinance)

"My BF destroyed his savings and housing situation before I moved here, and I've been slowly emptying my savings over the past few months. For soem reason we're having trouble finding housing on short notice with ~$200 in hand? Please advise."
It sounds like she just needs to get her parents to co-sign a lease for her. Because it does not sound like she is coming from a family that has ever had to worry about money.

Also, as someone who drove up to move several hundred miles without a job, this is causing me to hyperventilate. I had several months rent + deposits in-hand when I moved. loving $200?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
OP's posting more about how she totally has family overseas that could cover her move there(including housing for a year), and she has a background in tech but can only find a $9.50/hr job for...some reason. That she doesn't want to explain because of vague privacy concerns.

Gotta love people who leave out critical details while asking for advice. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Haifisch posted:

Gotta love people who leave out critical details while asking for advice. :toot:

But enough about zuarg...