Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Gobblecoque posted:

Man, fighting alps in the forest without pathfinder is a real miserable experience.

:colbert:

Seriously though, gently caress Alps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Hello Bro's

Meet COALTRAIN

COALTRAIN is the single tankiest motherfucker on the planet.

No bro you ever do get will be as tanky as COALTRAIN

When COALTRAIN levels up he always rolls perfect.

COALTRAIN's Weapon Skill doesn't matter, because COALTRAIN never misses. He kills Hexen with his pokey stick and gives 0 fucks.

Be like COALTRAIN

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
So what should be the best armour attachment for nimble bros now? Does the one that reduces armour ignoring damage by 33% make the most sense, or should it be one that adds resistance but not fatigue (like the direwolf cloak)?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

So what should be the best armour attachment for nimble bros now? Does the one that reduces armour ignoring damage by 33% make the most sense, or should it be one that adds resistance but not fatigue (like the direwolf cloak)?

Experiments for me have been Direwolf or Boneplate

Reducing armour ignoring damage on nimble isn't that important because a) nimble bros already have poo poo tonne of health and b) you have so little armour that hitting your HP isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I wonder what the best armor you could get on a nimblebro is using the fatigue reduction armor enhancement.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Theorycrafting question. Does the 33% attachment essentially give nimble bros another 33% effective hp? Since their armor dies fast anyway, does that mean all further hits once their armor is gone get reduced by an additional 1/3?

If so that's crazy powerful.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Got another alp contract. "Okay, at least this one isn't in a forest so this should be alright." Except it's not because it's snowing. gently caress. I feel like wake should just cost 1 ap or something so alps aren't just a pathfinder check if you're in rough terrain. Or make it so they're affected by terrain too so they don't get to run all over the place as well as spam sleep every single turn.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
I wish I would have know about water skins before I engaged in age discrimination and fired one of my bros for becoming old...at least I found that golden goose

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Unzip and Attack posted:

Theorycrafting question. Does the 33% attachment essentially give nimble bros another 33% effective hp? Since their armor dies fast anyway, does that mean all further hits once their armor is gone get reduced by an additional 1/3?

If so that's crazy powerful.

Haven't tested this properly but I believe it works in a similar method to the interaction between Dagger Mastery and Duelist. in that the game differentiates between damage that specifically refers to ignores armour and damage that specifically hits armour. for example when you look at the stats on an axe weapon a portion of the damage says that it ignores armour and a portion of the damage says that it will hit the armour now if there is no armour to hit all of the damage will hit the health however I believe the game still differentiates between which number would hit the health and which number would normally hit the armour first ergo having the reduction of damage that ignores armour as per the fur padding attachment would only continue to reduce the amount of damage taken from the ignores damage portion the non ignoring caution would steal deal it's full damage as it was never intended to ignore armour and is simply damaging the health because there is no armour to get in the way

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I forgot how exhausting the phase of the game is where you're encountering lots of bandit marksmen but your own archers aren't strong enough to actually counter them. And of course, recruits with any potential as archers are rare as gently caress and the various archer backgrounds want like a 1000 gold because, you see, they come with a short bow and hat. lmao

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I found a Minstrel with 45 RA and 3 stars earlier, they're out there.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
There really needs to be an option to hire a dude without their gear because gently caress paying for one more billhook when I already have three just to get a militia dude

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Broken Cog posted:

I found a Minstrel with 45 RA and 3 stars earlier, they're out there.

It's Disney's robin hood

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Gobblecoque posted:

I forgot how exhausting the phase of the game is where you're encountering lots of bandit marksmen but your own archers aren't strong enough to actually counter them. And of course, recruits with any potential as archers are rare as gently caress and the various archer backgrounds want like a 1000 gold because, you see, they come with a short bow and hat. lmao

Other than hunters give Beast Hunters, Witch Hunters, Deserters and Thieves a go.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1600244491

Nimble/Colossus or Battleforged/Brawny?

edit: naked stats:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/955225420067412918/096C3453040BF7169D18FDC9A150FEB176C61C55/

Maybe make him a duelist?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 24, 2018

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Leaning to nimble. What's his naked fatigue at ATM?

Drath
Jan 4, 2018

Personally I've never liked putting anyone with low Melee Defense and no stars in it on the frontlines. Regardless of build, chances of not getting hit is my primary consideration and defense for anyone going toe to toe with the enemy. As a backliner, 76-ish Melee Skill by L11 is also lowish but IMHO still usable.
For long term purposes, I would lean towards hiring another potentially better frontliner. Would probably go with Nimble/Colossus if you're keeping him.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Mercenaries can be dicks.

But goblins? Man.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Holy poo poo lmao

:xcom:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Drath posted:

Personally I've never liked putting anyone with low Melee Defense and no stars in it on the frontlines. Regardless of build, chances of not getting hit is my primary consideration and defense for anyone going toe to toe with the enemy. As a backliner, 76-ish Melee Skill by L11 is also lowish but IMHO still usable.
For long term purposes, I would lean towards hiring another potentially better frontliner. Would probably go with Nimble/Colossus if you're keeping him.

He's gonna get 3 pips for Melee not 2. So he's gonna hit 81 minimum, maybe more with some 4's.

His defense and stam are too low to do battleforged. The answer is he is nimble, with a flail an shield. And he is reasonably replaceable by a militaman or another military background with better base stats.

Drath
Jan 4, 2018

Gridlocked posted:

He's gonna get 3 pips for Melee not 2. So he's gonna hit 81 minimum, maybe more with some 4's.

You're right. I didn't notice the L6 levelup hadn't been taken yet and so didn't account for it. 80 would be closer to the average and that's a fair score. It'll take a while though to get there. Using spears meanwhile as shown from the pics is likely the better way to go about things.

On the subject of new Background stats, the reddit sheet now has a comparison page Vs Shukrat's old pre-DLC database.
Summary of potential changes:
Swordmaster's Melee Defense nerfed (-3?)
Disowned Noble's Ranged Skill buffed (likely +6?)
Shepherd's Ranged Skill buffed (+3?)
Butcher's Fatigue buffed (+3)
Cultist's HPs buffed (+4)
Gravedigger's HPs buffed (+4)

I'd like another few pairs of eyes on it, especially Wizard Styles as he made a database on stats pre-DLC, to go through the findings, in case I overlooked major stuff.
Merry Christmas all and have a great year ahead :)

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Drath posted:

I'd like another few pairs of eyes on it, especially Wizard Styles as he made a database on stats pre-DLC, to go through the findings, in case I overlooked major stuff.
I'll take a look at it after the holidays. One issue will be that due to low sample sizes some changes may not be visible unless the maximum or minimum recorded values are notably different from what I got but we'll see. For now I'm kinda burned out on the game after doing two runs back to back and also doing Christmas stuff.

And yeah, merry Christmas everyone.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

RIP, that's hilarious

For content, I saw some people recommending alternative ranged backgrounds since hunters can be hard to find and bowyers / poachers don't necessarily hit it out of the park, I've had good luck with both squires and raiders. The latter especially, while expensive, tend to make ace hybrids since I've had multiple join at level 2 or 3 with MA in the low sixties and RA in the high forties. A lot of them don't have great fatigue, not bad, just mediocre, but the new nimble builds make that less of an issue then pre-DLC.

rideANDxORdie fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 24, 2018

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Has anyone else run into a bug where items just disappear from their inventory? I just noticed all my spare equipment was missing, including several shields. At first I assumed I'd absent-mindedly vendored all of it, but then when I unequipped a shield from one of my reserves to give to a front liner who'd had his broken by an orc, it just disappeared in front of my eyes. The moment I dropped it into my stash it vanished. Same thing happened again with another shield from another reserve.

Closing the game via task manager and reloading it to after the fight with the orcs seems to have fixed it. All the gear I assumed I'd vendored was back, along with loot from the battle (which is forgotten about but was also missing). Unequipping no longer makes my stuff disappear. Interestingly, none of the monster parts I was carrying around were affected by the bug, but everything else was.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 27, 2018

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Wafflecopper posted:

Has anyone else run into a bug where items just disappear from their inventory? I just noticed all my spare equipment was missing, including several shields. At first I assumed I'd absent-mindedly vendored all of it, but then when I unequipped a shield from one of my reserves to give to a front liner who'd had his broken by an orc, it just disappeared in front of my eyes. The moment I dropped it into my stash it vanished. Same thing happened again with another shield from another reserve.

Closing the game via task manager and reloading it to after the fight with the orcs seems to have fixed it. All the gear I assumed I'd vendored was back, along with loot from the battle (which is forgotten about but was also missing). Unequipping no longer makes my stuff disappear. Interestingly, none of the monster parts I was carrying around were affected by the bug, but everything else was.

Did you accidentally hit one of the inventory filter buttons? That can cause gear to "disappear" aka be filtered out, but hitting the all filter resets that.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I had no idea that was a thing but yeah it was almost certainly that. Thanks

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Drath posted:

On the subject of new Background stats, the reddit sheet now has a comparison page Vs Shukrat's old pre-DLC database.
Summary of potential changes:
Swordmaster's Melee Defense nerfed (-3?)
Disowned Noble's Ranged Skill buffed (likely +6?)
Shepherd's Ranged Skill buffed (+3?)
Butcher's Fatigue buffed (+3)
Cultist's HPs buffed (+4)
Gravedigger's HPs buffed (+4)

I took a look at it now and it appears to be what I suspected already: there are almost no changes you can prove with this.

I went over all the flagged changes from the Comparison page individually and in almost all cases the recorded values are within what I got in my Steam guide. Ideally I'd just let a script compare the stat ranges of all backgrounds in both data sets but unfortunately that spreadsheet organization is far from ideal for actually working with the data.
For example, Cripples are listed as having undergone a potential -6 Initiative nerf. But their actually recorded Initiative values in both my old and this new data range from 75 to 100. The different averages are almost certainly due to the combination of a naturally higher variance that a stat with a 25 point range has and limited sample sizes. Cultist HP and some other listed likely changes are the same.
Which is also why I don't think looking at averages is useful, you want the stat ranges for this.

The two definite changes I see in the data are:
Disowned Nobles got a Ranged Skill buff. Before the patch/DLC they were in the regular non-specialized background range (32-42 at level 1). Their range according to the new data is 30-48. I don't trust that 30 since it's below the usual minimum; that might be a typo or the bro was a Drunkard and the stat changes weren't subtracted properly, I don't know. But there are lots of starting values above 42 so that is definitely a legit change.
Shepherds are a ranged background now. In my old data they had a higher recorded minimum but not maximum (and I only had 12 in the data so that might again have been a fluke). In the new data they have 39-47 starting Ranged Skill.

Servants seem to have gotten an Initiative buff. They were in the regular 100-110 range before, the new data sees them at 105-110. That may be a fluke and doesn't prove there is a change but this spreadsheet has a lot of data in general and for Servants specifically so I'll believe it until I see a Servant with Initiative below 105.

There may be other changes but this data doesn't show any.
e: Or I didn't see them because I only checked the stats that were already flagged.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 27, 2018

Drath
Jan 4, 2018

Wizard Styles posted:

For example, Cripples are listed as having undergone a potential -6 Initiative nerf. But their actually recorded Initiative values in both my old and this new data range from 75 to 100. The different averages are almost certainly due to the combination of a naturally higher variance that a stat with a 25 point range has and limited sample sizes. Cultist HP and some other listed likely changes are the same.

I'll have to adjust the wiki table, at least for some values, as I've only put Cripple Initiative at -5 (from a normal average of 105) previously, which is obviously quite wrong. Looks like it might be as much as -18. Noted super-wide HP range on Cultist (45-64)and on Gravedigger (50-64).

Wizard Styles posted:

Which is also why I don't think looking at averages is useful, you want the stat ranges for this.

I take your point. I'm looking at stat ranges as well. But I don't think we should be completely reliant on it as the new reddit spreadsheet isn't really tightly regulated, and anyone can key in stuff, which leads to more entries but also increases possibility of error (not removing armor/shields, not accounting for traits, etc). That goes for the old spreadsheet as well which I believe almost certainly has erroneous entries.
Median values tend to stay fairly accurate despite a few inaccurate entries so that's what I've based the wiki table values on.

Wizard Styles posted:

The two definite changes I see in the data are:
Disowned Nobles got a Ranged Skill buff. Before the patch/DLC they were in the regular non-specialized background range (32-42 at level 1). Their range according to the new data is 30-48. I don't trust that 30 since it's below the usual minimum; that might be a typo or the bro was a Drunkard and the stat changes weren't subtracted properly, I don't know. But there are lots of starting values above 42 so that is definitely a legit change.

Yea I don't trust that 30 either. But the next minimum is 35, followed by lots of 36s, not 32, so I'm kinda scratching my head here on what to put for minimum. I agree it's a significant buff. Might be hard to peg the magnitude of it though.

Wizard Styles posted:

Shepherds are a ranged background now. In my old data they had a higher recorded minimum but not maximum (and I only had 12 in the data so that might again have been a fluke). In the new data they have 39-47 starting Ranged Skill.

Yea the pre-DLC database doesn't have a lot of entries but the minimum is 37. I didn't collect a lot of samples either but my minimum is also 37. So there's still a good chance your old data is accurate. I pegged it at +2 previously. Now if the new range is correct, that would make it +6 compared to regular backgrounds.
Hmm I kinda feel like they're really pushing the whole David vs Goliath portrayal. No real slings in the game though... yet xD
We have Goblin Bolas, simple slings shouldn't be a big ask.

Wizard Styles posted:

Servants seem to have gotten an Initiative buff. They were in the regular 100-110 range before, the new data sees them at 105-110. That may be a fluke and doesn't prove there is a change but this spreadsheet has a lot of data in general and for Servants specifically so I'll believe it until I see a Servant with Initiative below 105.

Noted.

Thanks again for looking into it :) I'll try to work on the wiki table when I have a bit more time. Preferably would like more data first so I might wait around a bit.

Drath fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 27, 2018

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Finally a reason to learn Pymc3

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
What backgrounds do y'all recruit for your future two-hander bros now? Thieves? I used to use Hedge Knights and Raiders but given their high salary cost now I'm wondering what the low cost alternatives are.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Thieves, and whoever ends up with good stars in MA and MD

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What backgrounds do y'all recruit for your future two-hander bros now? Thieves? I used to use Hedge Knights and Raiders but given their high salary cost now I'm wondering what the low cost alternatives are.

all the good backgrounds, because all my bros will eventually be two-hander hybrids

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

all the good backgrounds, because all my bros will eventually be two-hander hybrids

:yeah:

Though the change to RA is a slight nerf to the end game 2h bro it does also make it more viable to turn less-good bros into 2handers as well.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Apart from Thieves, Messengers (guaranteed good Fatigue and okay Resolve, possible slight bonus to Melee Defense) and Houndmasters (better Resolve and Melee Defense than other cheap backgrounds) have been some of my go-to cheap backgrounds.
Gamblers get good Resolve and can have good Defenses, but at the cost of Fatigue and not always having the best HP either. They're, you know, a gamble, although not necessarily more so than Thieves. Worthless before the Nimble changes but pretty decent now that below average starting Fatigue is no longer a nearly automatic death sentence.

junidog
Feb 17, 2004

Drath posted:

I take your point. I'm looking at stat ranges as well. But I don't think we should be completely reliant on it as the new reddit spreadsheet isn't really tightly regulated, and anyone can key in stuff, which leads to more entries but also increases possibility of error (not removing armor/shields, not accounting for traits, etc). That goes for the old spreadsheet as well which I believe almost certainly has erroneous entries.
Median values tend to stay fairly accurate despite a few inaccurate entries so that's what I've based the wiki table values on.

Is it possible to scrape recruit background & stats out of whatever the hex editing tool people were using? That would be a fast way to get accurate data, just gen a new map and scrape, rinse repeat.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Oh man, I found the horse-diddler and he's got 3 stars in melee skill and defense. This filly fiddler is gonna be the champion of my company.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

MadJackMcJack posted:

:colbert:

Seriously though, gently caress Alps

this is what happens when you fight a stranger with some alps

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Gobblecoque posted:

Oh man, I found the horse-diddler and he's got 3 stars in melee skill and defense. This filly fiddler is gonna be the champion of my company.

Man with Crossbow hears you and laughs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016
How useful are archers in the end game? I'm on day 150, with my second crisis (undead this time) starting up and I finally found a decent hunter (51 ranged skill, 2 stars so expected L11 ranged of 91). That's an expected value 5 or so points higher than my other ranged bros, starting bro excepted. But now that I'm at endgame I'm wondering just how useful he's ever gonna be. I can't think of many end game enemies that aren't better approached by sending in another gorilla with a two hander. Am I missing anything or is it not worth training a new ranged once I reached endgame already?