Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

There's also dyable (I think they're dyable, anyway) versions of the level 70 job armors, and some i380 armor.

Past that, there are some mounts and emotes and hairstyles and glamour pieces, but you can buy all of that off the market board, I think. Maybe not the first mount?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Bobfly posted:

As someone who has a lot of catching up to do, is there any reason to go to eureka if I don't care for the artifact weapons? Any other rewards I'd be missing out on by never setting foot in there?

There's a couple mounts, most of the non artifact weapon/armor drops are on the MB for not much

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Rainuwastaken posted:

Zenos can't even hold a candle to the true villain of Heavensward, the Churning Mists.
The Churning Mists pale in comparison to the hill NW of Tailfeather. At least the moogles had the decency to wait until you could fly before throwing more sidequests at you, back before the quest attunements were nerfed you had to go around the Hill NW of Tailfeather like, 5 times in a row because of a single quest chain taking you into that section of the map.

Nowadays that's no longer true but I will never forgive that dang hill :argh:

Failboattootoot posted:

Largely because Lyse and Hien are lousy to be honest.

Essentially, there were issues at hand in HW that we couldn't just murder our way through. There was nothing credible along those same lines in SB, and since every conflict rested on violence, there was nothing ever at rick because we are an impeccable murderhobo. They tried with the events right before heading off to the East, but simply didn't devote the narrative cache to those events to make it stick like, say, the vault in hw.

It's weird to me that you brought up the Nadaam as an example of hardship, because while learning all of those cultural differences was super cool and a high point of the expansion, basically none of it mattered. They all bent the knee because we murderhobo'd the lot.
The traveling group in SB is indeed the biggest weakness of it I agree.

However while there were issues at hand in HW that we couldn't murderhobo our way through, we still found a way to murderhobo our way through them. The main difference between HW and SB's conflicts were that we didn't have to fumble about figuring out who we were allowed to murdohobo because it was obvious from the outset. (Which does accelerate the story a bit, which can be unsatisfying.)
They didn't devote the narrative weight to the pre-Doma events in SB both because it would take a lot more time to do so and because the more times they do it, the cheaper it gets. As it is, both events are a pretty good mirror of each other but there are several key differences which make both interesting in their own right.

Also I brought up the Nadaam not only because it was a high point, but also because it was another take on Ishgard. And if you're reducing the Azim Steppes down to 'and then we murderhobo'd the problem out of it' then why aren't you doing the same to Ishgard?
I know one reason why: Ishgard took an entire expansion to resolve (giving it way more heft to reduce down) while the Azim Steppes are just a fraction of the MSQ this time around. And that's completely natural and in fact a desired outcome to repeating overall story beats: we've already done Ishgard once, we don't need to do all of it again.

But if anything that's one of the reasons why I think SB is overall equal to HW is because it builds off of it so well. I too didn't feel much tension when going through SB but I felt like I had 'earned' that by virtue of having gone though HW, which allowed me to enjoy the discovery parts of the journey more.

Also I find it interesting you compare Zenos with Caius, because I feel the opposite. Mostly because I feel that Zenos earned his villain cred while Caius never did (I classify Caius as a victim of circumstance rather than an actual villain.)

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Failboattootoot posted:

It's weird to me that you brought up the Nadaam as an example of hardship, because while learning all of those cultural differences was super cool and a high point of the expansion, basically none of it mattered. They all bent the knee because we murderhobo'd the lot.

I mean, they're a culture of nomadic warriors. They are murderhobos, and they rightly recognized the Warrior of Light as an apex predator in that regard.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
I remember Zenos because he at least shows up in the loving expansion.

I think Thordan and Nidhogg collectively showed up less than 10 times throughout HW, and neither was higher than 5 nor long, which is not really a good thing for your main antagonists when I struggle to remember anything about them aside from the final encounter.

Edit: If we're talking True Final Boss, The Lochs is definitely a good one for SB. Those goddamn aether currents.

Rastan Beeza fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 29, 2018

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Bolow posted:

Reshade and the FFXIV Trainer (which currently doesn't work)

They fixed and rehosted it not a full day after it went down.

Also finally hit 70 with AST. :toot:

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 29, 2018

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bobfly posted:

As someone who has a lot of catching up to do, is there any reason to go to eureka if I don't care for the artifact weapons? Any other rewards I'd be missing out on by never setting foot in there?

Well they wasted an otherwise very cool, human moment by using it on a pseudo-villain no one cares about which is the closest it comes to having an interesting story, so there's that I guess.

when the lalafell guy is like "do you have any idea how much it sucks to know that the Echo existing basically invalidates the hard work of anyone not lucky enough to be born with it the second someone with that particular gift decides to dip their toes into that field", i thought that was cool. especially because you have the option of just being like "yeah you're right, the Echo owns and is FTW."

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Bobfly posted:

No don't do anything related to Eureka or relic weapons until you're caught up. (or ever, they're literally just fashion weapons intended to be a huge timesink)

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

onesixtwo posted:

No don't do anything related to Eureka or relic weapons until you're caught up. (or ever, they're literally just fashion weapons intended to be a huge timesink)

I came to the marvelous realization that the Anemos BLM weapon is actually perfect for my current glam, and the glow actually works for it, so I don't have to actually do Pagos. It was a great relief.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
I don't play on the Goon Server™ (I play on Mateus) but just wanted to say:

I just did the Alexander Raid for the first time and it might be my favorite raid story. Also the music was stellar. HW again shows it's supremacy.

Also here's a SAM glam I'm rocking inspired by Justice since everyone is posting pics.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Countblanc posted:

Well they wasted an otherwise very cool, human moment by using it on a pseudo-villain no one cares about which is the closest it comes to having an interesting story, so there's that I guess.

when the lalafell guy is like "do you have any idea how much it sucks to know that the Echo existing basically invalidates the hard work of anyone not lucky enough to be born with it the second someone with that particular gift decides to dip their toes into that field", i thought that was cool. especially because you have the option of just being like "yeah you're right, the Echo owns and is FTW."

I mean, I'd probably be more impressed with that as a villain motivation if I had never heard of Lex Luthor but here we are.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I really liked hien, mainly because he was finally a leader who gave a poo poo about what his people wanted, but the main reason he and lyse don’t work is they’re set up to be people with the same problem approaching it from opposite directions, and in the end that never really came together.

Also the main reason the wol can’t just murderhobo every problem away in hw is there is no support structure in place like the scions or the resistances. Being a ward of a great house means you have to consider the politics if you don’t want to ruin that house. We can generally handle any physical harm that comes our way, but suddenly physical harm isn’t the only thing on the table in HW.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
I like hein cause he gets hyped up for most of the far east arc and then is actually competent and likable and gets poo poo done

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cabbit posted:

They've been fighting only dragons for quite a long time, I'd imagine they would be extremely specialized towards that end.

I'm aware that realistically speaking fighting dragons is a completely different skill-set from fighting human troops and robots, but I'm talking about what would be cool!

(that being said I still imagine the Ishgardians would still be better than the other alliance troops just by virtue of having a war-centered society)

edit: The Kojin beast tribe quests are up there with the Heavensward bird people as far as involving an obnoxious amount of flying around

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 29, 2018

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Shellman posted:

I don't play on the Goon Server™ (I play on Mateus) but just wanted to say:

I just did the Alexander Raid for the first time and it might be my favorite raid story. Also the music was stellar. HW again shows it's supremacy.

Also here's a SAM glam I'm rocking inspired by Justice since everyone is posting pics.

For some reason goons hate the Alexander story but I agree with you, those raids own bones.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Verranicus posted:

For some reason goons hate the Alexander story but I agree with you, those raids own bones.

Mide sucked rear end mostly. Also, the story was pretty bad until the last tier turned it around, which so consistently happens that I am expecting Orbonne Monastery to not only salvage this execrable 24 man series but also somehow make Ramza seem cool despite all the previous work done to the contrary.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
We already got a showing of how Ishgardians would fight Garlean warmachines. Even if it was Estinien with his Nidhögg-powered jumps.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Failboattootoot posted:

Mide sucked rear end mostly. Also, the story was pretty bad until the last tier turned it around, which so consistently happens that I am expecting Orbonne Monastery to not only salvage this execrable 24 man series but also somehow make Ramza seem cool despite all the previous work done to the contrary.

Actually Mide was good.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
I did a run with three Brand New Sprouts in Satasha and was able to teach a first-time healer to don't be so honest and use Aero/Stone and how to do Swiftcast->Raise later. Felt really good to help out newbies. (Also because it the first female Dusk Elezen I've seen in a dungeon aside from other goons)

Though it was my longest Satasha, since they were all trying to figure it out as their first time, the ARC only used Miasma on bosses, and the healer was Honest. The Tank died on the very first pull in Satasha and in the last boss, pretty sure I saved the run by using Limit Break to kill the boss since we were about to get rushed by all the adds.

Hope they are having fun with the game too. :unsmith:

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I love getting a sprout dungeon and teaching people some useful tricks. Had one of those in Haukke this week, told tank how to avoid the Void casts on the last boss... and he did it! Yeah, the archer was absolutely useless and the healer was honest.. but they were all on their first classes. I have zero patience for lazy exdr people, but brand new sprouts? gently caress yeah let’s do this hour long stone vigil (oh god please don’t make me do that again actually)

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I'm aware that realistically speaking fighting dragons is a completely different skill-set from fighting human troops and robots, but I'm talking about what would be cool!

If I remember right this was a plot point in the HW dragoon story, they're so speciallized in killing dragons that it blows the class partner away that you're incorporating non-dragon killing methods into your attack stance.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The last couple DRs I did had new gladiator tanks who just couldn't figure out how to hold aggro. During today's a Summoner in our party ended up tanking the last half of the dungeon with his Titan-egi (which needed even less healing from me* than the actual tank).

* I'm leveling a Conjuror

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Failboattootoot posted:

Eh, I found this 24 man series to be pretty cool.

Ended up getting that one lost Zodiac monster, the fights were all very entertaining, and Ba'Gamnan was pretty interesting kind sucks how things ended for him though.

But I do agree that Ramza is just the worst so far

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Is there a way to use spell animations in gpose without the flashy light effects? If you're moving the camera they don't show up but it's a little inconvenient slightly moving the camera while pressing screenshot.

Like here's indomitability without the huge green lights obscuring everything. Or possibly caroling, it's hard to say which.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Tangents posted:

Is there a way to use spell animations in gpose without the flashy light effects? If you're moving the camera they don't show up but it's a little inconvenient slightly moving the camera while pressing screenshot.

Like here's indomitability without the huge green lights obscuring everything. Or possibly caroling, it's hard to say which.

Character Config > Control Settings tab > "Character" on the top, set your own battle effects to off. Just remember to turn it back on later or you'll wonder why it doesn't look like your attacks are executing.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Tangents posted:

You can turn off spell effects in character settings.

e:f,b

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Neat. I'll have to give some of those moves a shot.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Beaten, but have a picture too.

Just set that to show none.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

While we're reflecting on it in the build-up to the next expansion: I feel like Stormblood seriously, seriously suffers from having to split its focus across two separate arcs. It caused events to take ages to get to pay-offs in the post-release patches, and ultimately felt like...neither side got as much fleshing out as it should? It lead to the main campaign feeling really spread out and shallow too, what with the main selling point of the expansion (liberate ala mhigo!) being interrupted by Road Trip to Japan, with interesting characters not getting more screen time and non-intereLYSELYSELYSEsting characters not getting the time or focus they needed to maybe be interesting.

They also resolve both "liberation" arcs really quickly, and overall both arcs feel like they're, in spite of being shallower than Heavensward's singular meta arc/road trip, much more condensed with the story beats happening way faster than they should have, leading to me finding Yoyetsu's arc's (itself really bad) conclusion miles more interesting than either....'reinforce' Ala Mhigo or Doma arcs? Which is another problem, it feels like both arcs are just kind of - repeating themselves through different lenses, and while that could potentially be interesting, neither one gets the focus it needs and it winds up being a snorefest. Especially since you have to keep going through buildup for both.

Going back to Yoyetsu's arc for a second, the lack of time for either arc to breathe leads to a issue of - there's a lot of telling going on instead of showing, relying on things like people saying "the empire is coming back, honest!" or (4.3 spoilers)"See Gogetsu's weird rear end protection of Yoyetsu was justified, he had this real sad backstory we're only revealing right now in a text dump!" A really bad story technique that's over-used to heck and makes it a little hard to particularly care about the narrative at times, especially when lyse has her thousandth jerk off about how "oh no i am bad leader because I am saying this now let me Kung Fu Kick a man in the face"

I really hope they just focus on one overarching, strong arc for at least the Shadowbringers release patch, because that felt like a real strength of Heavensward that was lacking this expansion. Overall it was still a enjoyable story, but man it felt like after you got this really nice bagel loaded with cream cheese, they just handed you half the cream cheese and now you've got this still nice bagel but wow the cream cheese is spread WAY too thin.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Did that need justification? He's an honorable man doing the honorable thing.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The Eorzean Alliance better call up Idyllshire and obtain some Illuminati war machines, or some Idyllshire auxiliaries with recovered war machines.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Bolow posted:

Does one of these prevent screenshots from coming out weird and low res looking?

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

I'd have been ultimately okay with it (if still a bit perplexed, given the magnitude of her sins) if they'd decided to go with the whole "oh yeah he's just honorable to a fault" explanation, but instead they chose to throw in a text dump-y explanation at the very end, and it ultimately winds up just being another speed bump in a expansion full of people who can't wait to explain things to you.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any decent plugins besides ACT?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Xun posted:

Does one of these prevent screenshots from coming out weird and low res looking?

Make sure you have it set to save as .png in your settings.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Blast of Confetti posted:

Any decent plugins besides ACT?

xivhunt is useful for performance macros, and catching the hunt train. You can use overlay plugins through ACT to see numbers on screen, i like the Hibiyasleep overlay myself, Cactbot is useful for raiding and is the closest thing to DBM xiv has, just delete all of the sound files.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Bolow posted:

So I have reshade but what is this FFXIV trainer?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

onesixtwo posted:

I love getting a sprout dungeon and teaching people some useful tricks. Had one of those in Haukke this week, told tank how to avoid the Void casts on the last boss... and he did it! Yeah, the archer was absolutely useless and the healer was honest.. but they were all on their first classes. I have zero patience for lazy exdr people, but brand new sprouts? gently caress yeah let’s do this hour long stone vigil (oh god please don’t make me do that again actually)

i got a pissvale with 3 sprouts the other day and it was great. i told the blm about how astral/umbral 3 makes the opposite spells cast real fast so you can switch with blizz/fire 3 and his mind got blown.

also we didn't even have many deaths, just the sam died twice on coincounter (though 2nd time was from lolling at my raise macro). :v:

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

After skipping all cutscenes and dialog, I've concluded Stormblood's story is bad because we aren't given sufficient reason to give a heck about liberating Ala Mhigo or Doma. I think the root cause of the problem is that all we see of the civilian populations of the two places we liberate exist in two tiny rear end villages. They also greet us with "can you NOT try and get us killed by doing revolution? thanks!" Like... the two people from Ala Mhigo didn't even give a gently caress about Ala Mhigo until a lunatic summoned a primal to get them to care, so why should the WoL care about Ala Mhigo? At least with Doma I think we kind of agreed to help out Yugiri since she was best girl for a while, which is fair. Instead of a good story though we got an awesome hammy villian and good dungeons, so since I was going to skip the story anyways I like Stormblood overall.

onesixtwo posted:

Everytime you teach a sprout WHM to spam Holy, an angel gets its wings.

Captain Cappy fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Captain Cappy posted:

After skipping all cutscenes and dialog, I've concluded Stormblood's story is bad because we aren't given sufficient reason to give a heck about liberating Ala Mhigo or Doma. I think the root cause of the problem is that all we see of the civilian populations of the two places we liberate exist in two tiny rear end villages. They also greet us with "can you NOT try and get us killed by doing revolution? thanks!" Like... the two people from Ala Mhigo didn't even give a gently caress about Ala Mhigo until a lunatic summoned a primal to get them to care, so why should the WoL care about Ala Mhigo? At least with Doma I think we kind of agreed to help out Yugiri since she was best girl for a while, which is fair. Instead of a good story though we got an awesome hammy villian and good dungeons, so since I was going to skip the story anyways I like Stormblood overall.

You thought you felt connected enough to help the French Catholics race war AND you like Yugiri.

Absolutely shameful.