Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Strobe posted:

Just write the fanfic already and spare us the indulgent detail about a ~really strong demon like the doomslayer~ that everyone is trying to explain we don't want or care about.

Except I do want to know more about this hypothetical nemesis. What was its job (in Hell) before the Doomslayer came along? What personal grudge does it hold against the Doomslayer that's so unique? Is it a good kisser? Will its genitalia be exposed (and, if so, how large will it be?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I do think it's an oversight that the demons don't have giant dongs

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

They are all women

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 357 days!
y’all forgetting there was a whole voiceover bit about a Titan that was hell’s champion against doomguy until he put some windows in it

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I'm confident that the giant skeleton tank literally named "The Doom Hunter" and the shotgun-wielding gladiator demons seen in the concept art are going to be set up as your rivals-in-power opponents (how effective they'll actually be is another story).

My bet is that they'll fight like Quake 3 bots with slightly better animations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

sebmojo posted:

They are all women

I believe you're thinking of "Agony", which is another game about demons and hell and is as fantastic as DOOM (2016)--if not superior in virtually every way. :smug:

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

sebmojo posted:

They are all women

Yeah but do they have frog dna

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

ChickenHeart posted:

I'm confident that the giant skeleton tank literally named "The Doom Hunter" and the shotgun-wielding gladiator demons seen in the concept art are going to be set up as your rivals-in-power opponents (how effective they'll actually be is another story).

My bet is that they'll fight like Quake 3 bots with slightly better animations.

It turns out The Doom Hunter is actually just an imp holding a mirror in front of doom guy, taunting him the whole time.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Lunatic Sledge posted:

If anything, this makes me want it more.

Just imagine: a big rear end demon shows up. He rips his way through other demons because they're in the way and he wants you. The catharsis, the glee if demons feel such a thing, is palpable as he rips and tears and now, at last, the fight he's been preparing his whole vile existence for.

And then as the fight wears on

the polish starts to come off.

He was eager. Confident. He thought he was ready and he was god drat wrong. His posture shifts as the battle wages. The tone of his demonic roaring changes pitch. Sputters. Chokes. His armor breaks, then his body starts to. He began the battle upright, back arched, head held high, weapons at the ready but he ends it in a more compromised, more pathetic position than any demon prior because he understands, better than they ever could. He was their best shot and he knew it. He was closer than anything else in Hell to knowing what he was up against... and he was nowhere close.

And then you loving end him without an ounce of hesitance, because to you? He was just another demon.

This dude stole the picture I had in my head and described it perfectly. Doom Slayer doesn't need a true rival as much as he need someone who thinks they'r a true rival.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lunatic Sledge posted:

If anything, this makes me want it more.

Just imagine: a big rear end demon shows up. He rips his way through other demons because they're in the way and he wants you. The catharsis, the glee if demons feel such a thing, is palpable as he rips and tears and now, at last, the fight he's been preparing his whole vile existence for.

And then as the fight wears on

the polish starts to come off.

He was eager. Confident. He thought he was ready and he was god drat wrong. His posture shifts as the battle wages. The tone of his demonic roaring changes pitch. Sputters. Chokes. His armor breaks, then his body starts to. He began the battle upright, back arched, head held high, weapons at the ready but he ends it in a more compromised, more pathetic position than any demon prior because he understands, better than they ever could. He was their best shot and he knew it. He was closer than anything else in Hell to knowing what he was up against... and he was nowhere close.

And then you gently caressing end him without an ounce of hesitance, because to you? He was just another demon.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
hot

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Except I do want to know more about this hypothetical nemesis. What was its job (in Hell) before the Doomslayer came along? What personal grudge does it hold against the Doomslayer that's so unique? Is it a good kisser? Will its genitalia be exposed (and, if so, how large will it be?)

I mean, why can't we talk to the monsters?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

We do, it's just that their language is violence.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

1stGear posted:

Doomguy totally would, if there was any talking to the monsters demons. He already knows how to ACT, and got the pacifist route his first try in Undertale even though he's Lv666. it's true he told me himself

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Doomguy is talking all the time

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Zzulu posted:

Doom guy is Macho Man

https://youtu.be/rnBUbRowRgM

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
WOW! NOW I'M IN A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PLACE!

e: lol

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 29, 2018

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
demons have cloacae

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Zzulu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkzptjhCkbs

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

1stGear posted:

You'll be glad to know the Official Doom novels addressed this and the doom marine chooses to convert many of the demons to Christianity by talking to them!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

sebmojo posted:

They are all women

A perfect game for gamers then.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

You'll be glad to know the Official Doom novels addressed this and the doom marine chooses to convert many of the demons to Christianity by talking to them!

I remember it being much weirder than that. He tried to convert them to Christianity, but they ended up worshiping him as a prophet. Then he waged an infinite holy war through a bunch of doom mods with his demon apostles, because his soul was really trapped inside of zDoom. The stuff happening in the real world was even more bizarre.

drat, those books got strange.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Wasn't it that there was a *copy* of him trapped in the computer world, and the "real" him was still kicking outside?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Doom guy would never scoff at guns

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
hE WOULD WHEN HE GOT THE BERSERKER POWERUP

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
WHOOPS CAPSLOCK

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jack Trades posted:

A perfect game for gamers then.

It turns it into an insane incel rampage, quite disturbing really.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

sebmojo posted:

It turns it into an insane incel rampage, quite disturbing really.

I can't believe this forum has a thread for such a misogynist game. Send this to the imp-zone where people who enjoy a game can be properly mocked.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Zaa Boogie posted:

Last week one of the cashiers at the 7/11 I usually frequent before work heard my phone alarm and recognized it as E1M1 (I use the Doot version on loud. Never fails.) We started talking and the new one comes up and he mentioned he never played it since he thought the same things most other people did when it was first announced. I told him to jump on it immediately because it's just that drat good.

Cut to a couple of days ago and he's loving it and now hype for Eternal since I told him they're currently making it. And that was my XMas Good Deed.

I know it's a page behind, but it really shows how a small group of guys just changed the goddamn world with DOOM, and in the end, murdering the gently caress outta demons brings people together

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

After beating Doom 2 Master Levels I decided to finally seriously play through Doom64 (technically it's a hack/port on PC with proper mouse+kb) and I don't see what all the fuss is about. There are people who really say this is their favorite version of Doom :confused:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Former Human posted:

After beating Doom 2 Master Levels I decided to finally seriously play through Doom64 (technically it's a hack/port on PC with proper mouse+kb) and I don't see what all the fuss is about. There are people who really say this is their favorite version of Doom :confused:

While I haven’t beaten it, I love the level architecture, atmosphere, and creative use of lighting in that game.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

chaosapiant posted:

While I haven’t beaten it, I love the level architecture, atmosphere, and creative use of lighting in that game.

:same: (but I have beaten it)

It's a different doom experience, but for me, after fiddling around with Doom and Doom 2, and Ultimate Doom, and Final Doom and level editors, multiplayer etc. pp., I kinda got a bit burned out because I seen all, created dozens of maps I shared and played with my friends, and other games and stuff became also interesting.

Then after some time of "other things than Doom", I got a Nintendo 64 on release, and managed my way to a hack module (to play non-german modules, because Doom was banned over here), and got a Doom 64 module, and really liked the difference in tone, sprites, lighting, sound. To me, it's like "alternate univere Doom". It's cool, and good, and I enjoyed it, and everything about it was so different, I enjoyed it.

I finished it like two times, and since then only picked it up to remember myself of how it felt back then, while I play the classic dooms at least every two years.

It's good, and while I like Doom 3, Doom 64 fits much closer into the whole Doom work than Doom 3, imo.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Yo I made something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPGk25Ga6xg

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hell of a match! Rev looks great.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
ahahahahaha that owns so hard, nice work

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I was hoping doom guy would show up and tag in

cyfad
Sep 29, 2009

Welcome to the human race.
looks like Doom Eternal will sound interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbMc17owOts

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Mick Gordon :stwoon:

Can't wait to hear what he creates for Doomy Turtle. His Doom 2016 soundtrack is one of the best gaming soundtracks I've heard. The fact that it adapts, and how it adapts, to reflect what's happening in the game is incredible.

I'm also very excited to hear Mick Gordon talk about how he made the new soundtrack, and whatever madness he used this time around, like feeding the signal through 27 guitar pedals and a soviet synth like last time.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I can't believe this forum has a thread for such a misogynist game. Send this to the imp-zone where people who enjoy a game can be properly mocked.

Wait, imp zone isn't already about Doom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Groetgaffel posted:

Can't wait to hear what he creates for Doomy Turtle. His Doom 2016 soundtrack is one of the best gaming soundtracks I've heard. The fact that it adapts, and how it adapts, to reflect what's happening in the game is incredible.

Developers have talked about adaptive music for what feels like forever but Doot is the first game I can think of where it really worked as advertised.