Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

dinoputz posted:

yeah the article was great. goddamn I miss NSFWCorp. still saving the print editions in the hopes they'll be worth something to some collector someday... but honestly i got more enjoyment of the podcast version even after i had read those. the funny anecdotes get left out in the article reveal more of the personal poo poo. but yeah dolan's a great writer. has anyone read his 'Pleasant Hell'? i was wondering whetther to order that or not for a bus trip i got planned

Anyone who would actually seek out Pleasant Hell is already a Dolan fan and will greatly enjoy Pleasant Hell.

During a college forensics tournament, I did his story about working at a glass factory. That's a fun one too.

I do not recommend reading Dolan's book on English romantic poets, though, unless you already are really, REALLY into English romantic poets. I thought I was, but boy was I wrong.

I would still like to read his dissertation on the Marquis De Sade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
new nerd, lads. This one's on the proposed Syria withdrawal and where it leaves the kurds

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
it's a solid episode, i always really enjoy hearing john's passionate defenses of Rojava and the part where they tore Michael Weiss' dumbass tweets apart was pretty funny

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

the great deceiver posted:

it's a solid episode, i always really enjoy hearing john's passionate defenses of Rojava and the part where they tore Michael Weiss' dumbass tweets apart was pretty funny

while their reasons for staying mostly-off twitter are perfectly good, in another world where they dont have to attract academics for interviews i would love a dolan/ames podcast where they talk poo poo about twitter drama

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

lolling at ames getting mad at tweets while taking his kid down a slide

e: also i want to watch him stream bf1

StashAugustine has issued a correction as of 02:13 on Jan 3, 2019

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I totally missed the story about Khashoggi reposting Qatari-written pieces under his own name.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Give John Dolan a gaming chair

coathat
May 21, 2007

Looking forward to Ames’ kid stream sniping Felix from chapo and uploading the video to https://shameproject.com

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
the project to get matt christman to play ck2/eu4 has failed

the project to get john dolan to play eu4/hoi4 has begun

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1081336154513846272

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Kaiserreich episode when

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I've been thinking getting Chapo's Felix to talk about Battlefield 1 for a half hour would be a fun weird detour for an episode. That games probably going to be the defining media about WW1 for a lot of people in the US, so it actually makes some sense. He's got enough neuroses about masculinity to fit into Mark and John's conversations about that too.

I didn't realize Mark would actually become a seduced by games, making my weird podcast fanfiction seem innocent.

Also their discussion of the Syrian Kurds reminded me of a Syrian nationalist I saw last week victoriously tweeting that the Kurdish contras had reached an agreement with the SAA to hold off an invasion of the Turks and Arab contras. I sort of respect that guy's consistency in still sticking to the term for the YPG even after he sees them as allies.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

“battleship 1” god bless you mark

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Phone posted:

the project to get matt christman to play ck2/eu4 has failed

the project to get john dolan to play eu4/hoi4 has begun

oh no, why try to inflict that on him

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Such a normie, Verdun is way better than Battlefield

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
i haven't played much BF:1 but the multiplayer that i tried seemed pretty true to what i've read about WWI: you spawn, run a few meters, and then get gunned down by people that you never saw before you can react

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
The extent I’ve ever seen the War Nerd boys acknowledge videogames is Mark saying he loved GTA5 and John admitting games are probably more sophisticated culturally these days but he doesn’t know anything about them. It’s probably because he’s a bit older than Mark.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Mark Ames and Max Blumenthal did an article about how that weird UK Integrity Initiative is doing some US based stuff. I guess that British guy who came to the US to work on the Bernie campaign came back to the states to say that posting is war. Also, Sebastian Gorka is involved for some reason.
https://grayzoneproject.com/2019/01...rican-politics/

quote:

Inside a modest-sized hotel conference room, the Adventium/Integrity event began with a speech by the Integrity Initiative’s Simon Bracey-Lane. Two years prior, Bracey-Lane appeared on the American political scene as a field worker for Bernie Sanders’ 2016 presidential primary run, earning media write-ups as the “Brit for Bernie.” Now, the young operator was back in the US as the advance man for a military-intelligence cut-out that specialized in smearing left-wing political figures like Jeremy Corbyn, the Labour leader widely regarded as the British version of Sanders.

Bracey-Lane opened his address by explaining that Integrity Initiative director Chris Donnelly had been unable to appear at the event, possibly because he was bogged down in the scandal back home. He proceeded to read remarks prepared by Donnelly that offered a window into the frighteningly militaristic mindset the Integrity Initiative aims to impose on the public through their media and political allies.

According to Donnelly’s comments, the West was no longer in a “peace time, rules based environment.” From the halls of government to corporate boardrooms to even the UK’s National Health System, “the conclusion is that we have to look for people who suit a wartime environment rather than peacetime.”

During Q&A, Bracey-Lane remarked that “we have to change the definition of war to encompass everything that war now encompasses,” referring vaguely to various forms of “hybrid warfare.”

“There is a great deal to be done in communicating that to young people,” he continued. “When we mean being at war we don’t mean sending our boys off to fight. It’s right here in our homes.”

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

Mark Ames and Max Blumenthal did an article about how that weird UK Integrity Initiative is doing some US based stuff. I guess that British guy who came to the US to work on the Bernie campaign came back to the states to say that posting is war. Also, Sebastian Gorka is involved for some reason.
https://grayzoneproject.com/2019/01...rican-politics/

I saw this but didn't read it the day of publication since I got busy. Latest War Nerd is up on patreon. i'm halfway through the latter half of the podcast where they're going into this and yeah there's some bizarre poo poo in here. when seb gorka got drummed out of the white house I just assumed he was done forever, and I had never heard any press coverage about his wife being a political operator too. Definitely going to read the whole thing now. hopefully they release a preview of the first 30 minutes or so of this portion (or open it up for free later as they normally do like the one on yasha's book) so more people can hear about this. or maybe make appearances on it elsewhere...?

what im really tryin to say is mark ames go on chapo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

One of the consistent themes that Mark beats is that these vampires never go away. It seemed like the Neocons were defeated in the wake of the original Bush losing to Clinton, only to come back in force with Bush II and later again now as Never Trumpers. So long as there's money behind them they never loving go away.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

lol i googled mh-chaos and literally the first response i got was " MH/CHAOS was a foreign program, conducted overseas, except for these limited activities. "

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

also props to dolan for coming up with the exact aliens quote i was thinking of

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

One of the consistent themes that Mark beats is that these vampires never go away. It seemed like the Neocons were defeated in the wake of the original Bush losing to Clinton, only to come back in force with Bush II and later again now as Never Trumpers. So long as there's money behind them they never loving go away.

There are neocon nevertrumpers, cabinet officials and Democrats now lol

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Sounds like there's going to be another round of problematic exile stories soon.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

What happened?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Nothus posted:

Sounds like there's going to be another round of problematic exile stories soon.

:ok:

e: do you mean that they're gonna dig up the sexual harassment stuff again because of the article Yasha wrote?

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 16:15 on Jan 14, 2019

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

:ok:

e: do you mean that they're gonna dig up the sexual harassment stuff again because of the article Yasha wrote?

Yeah. Mark mentioned offhand that one of those UK Intel ghouls emailed him that he's working on a story about the exile.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Nothus posted:

Yeah. Mark mentioned offhand that one of those UK Intel ghouls emailed him that he's working on a story about the exile.

These guys all love being creeps in private messages.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Holy crap, the Garibaldi stuff was interesting, but the second half was unreal. Especially as I was talking to [redacted] about career paths after graduating with an IR/Polysci degree from....Loyola of Chicago.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The ragamuffin revolution is so loving ridiculous. People from Rio Grande do Sul and Paraná keep talking about how it was a romantic revolution when it was a loving farmer's revolt over beef tariffs

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Plutonis posted:

The ragamuffin revolution is so loving ridiculous. People from Rio Grande do Sul and Paraná keep talking about how it was a romantic revolution when it was a loving farmer's revolt over beef tariffs

"The Ragamuffin Revolution" makes it sound pretty cute, you have to admit.

Raqqa Flocka Flame
Dec 14, 2017
That Alexander Reid Ross guy came to promote his book at the infoshop I volunteer at. The event had kind of a low turn out and he was kind of passive aggressive with us about not promoting it more. And we we're just like, idk dude, we've been doing author events for years and others didn’t seem to have a problem.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Nothus posted:

Looking forward to another round of talking the circular firing squad out of being useful idiots for the forces of reaction :thumbsup:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

suck my woke dick posted:

Looking forward to another round of talking the circular firing squad out of being useful idiots for the forces of reaction :thumbsup:

I can distinctly remember the last two times this happened. The first was right after The Exile had to flee Russia and they were growing their roots back into the US (and Mark was still doing speed). Mark & Yasha were the first journalists to expose that the Koch Brothers were astroturfing the Tea Party movement, and then all of a sudden there was a big right wing push to discredit them for being sexists and rapists - which was coming from disgusting mutants like Jim Goad of all people. Then it was what, last year or a couple years ago? They did the same thing because Matt Taibbi was getting too popular.

It almost happened a third time because Mark Ames did the funky chicken dance on Andrew Breitbart's grave, but it petered out because I guess the guys who took over after Breitbart died were too busy trying to keep the company together.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I can distinctly remember the last two times this happened. The first was right after The Exile had to flee Russia and they were growing their roots back into the US (and Mark was still doing speed). Mark & Yasha were the first journalists to expose that the Koch Brothers were astroturfing the Tea Party movement, and then all of a sudden there was a big right wing push to discredit them for being sexists and rapists - which was coming from disgusting mutants like Jim Goad of all people. Then it was what, last year or a couple years ago? They did the same thing because Matt Taibbi was getting too popular.

It almost happened a third time because Mark Ames did the funky chicken dance on Andrew Breitbart's grave, but it petered out because I guess the guys who took over after Breitbart died were too busy trying to keep the company together.

Some dumb rear end in UKMT was still complaining about actual criminal Gary Brecher (isn't it suspicious how we don't know his real name :tinfoil:) last week.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

suck my woke dick posted:

Some dumb rear end in UKMT was still complaining about actual criminal Gary Brecher (isn't it suspicious how we don't know his real name :tinfoil:) last week.

I love the random liberal twerps who bring up that John Dolan was "Eduard Limonov's translator" as if translating someone into English means you fully endorse everything they believe, like a retweet.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Why exactly do some people not like Rania Khalek? I'm seeing some trash talking of her in GiP and also in the greenwald thread here.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Crakkerjakk posted:

Why exactly do some people not like Rania Khalek? I'm seeing some trash talking of her in GiP and also in the greenwald thread here.

She had the temerity to say that the Syrian people are tired of war and just want the government to end it already, which means she's an unapologetic Assadist who loves Putin.

coathat
May 21, 2007

And she does that while making them horny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I love the random liberal twerps who bring up that John Dolan was "Eduard Limonov's translator" as if translating someone into English means you fully endorse everything they believe, like a retweet.

I'm the confused guy on their patreon who keeps asking them to interview peter hitchens