Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hi, it's me, AAAAA! Real Muenster, still trundling through an Empire play through. It's turn 99 and I just got another event about Chaos Rising. I just spent maybe 15 turns clowning on the first Chaos army from the north...will new ones keep getting announced when I kill off the previous one? Do I just need to go conquer the North Pole or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
You'll fend off a few waves then face the Big Three Chaos Legendary Lords .once you beat them no more chaos waves spawn

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Eventually, the big bad dudes will spawn and once you kill all of them no more will come. You do have to kill all of them though. If you leave one up they'll respawn after a while (this also applies to the beastmen faction(s) that spawn then as well).

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1D59xFlGu0

Pretty great match featuring thread regular Mukip. Surprised the hulks did as well as they did, considering their reputation.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Hi, it's me, AAAAA! Real Muenster, still trundling through an Empire play through. It's turn 99 and I just got another event about Chaos Rising. I just spent maybe 15 turns clowning on the first Chaos army from the north...will new ones keep getting announced when I kill off the previous one? Do I just need to go conquer the North Pole or something?

There's an initial set of armies that spawn with a cinematic, some reinforcements that get announced via event pop up when you kill off the last of the first group(way to be late to the party guys) and after a little while, the real invasion starts with the named characters leading it. Once those die, chaos stops being a thing outside Morathi/Beastmen/Rogue Armies(and of those, Vashnaar's Conquest is the only notably chaos-y one).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

What are the thoughts about this mod?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1465280740

Seems pretty cool, making the Empire work more like, well... an Empire, and less of a bunch of independent states.

i haven't played with it but it sounds real neato

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

KazigluBey posted:

Pretty great match featuring thread regular Mukip. Surprised the hulks did as well as they did, considering their reputation.

Their bad rep is more campaign than anything else, although they aren't top in multiplayer, they're a solid situational unit. Ironically not the situation they were found in, but they do a decent job against a lot of the DE anti-infantry since DE won't usually have tons of spears against something like Coast.

Partly it looked like they did well because Mukip was taking a more experimental approach or trying something a bit troll but I can't tell for sure. I certainly wouldn't think 4 reapers would be great against vampire coast but I might be wrong.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I like hulks, he is right though about the terror thing.

Hulks do good laced in among zombies plus unlike say, rat ogres or other monster units, they're quite expendable and cheap so you can just let them fight till they crumble away making max use of their piddly little morale bar.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Motherfucker posted:

I like hulks, he is right though about the terror thing.

Hulks do good laced in among zombies plus unlike say, rat ogres or other monster units, they're quite expendable and cheap so you can just let them fight till they crumble away making max use of their piddly little morale bar.

Hulks have high health, no armor, a decent model count and chunky as hell armor piercing damage. Bad MA, though. They're great as a cheap counter to elite armor-piercing troops but will get obliterated by any anti-large. But yeah, just because they'll never rout doesn't mean they don't need to be babysat.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Panfilo posted:

You'll fend off a few waves then face the Big Three Chaos Legendary Lords .once you beat them no more chaos waves spawn

Senor Dog posted:

Eventually, the big bad dudes will spawn and once you kill all of them no more will come. You do have to kill all of them though. If you leave one up they'll respawn after a while (this also applies to the beastmen faction(s) that spawn then as well).

Asehujiko posted:

There's an initial set of armies that spawn with a cinematic, some reinforcements that get announced via event pop up when you kill off the last of the first group(way to be late to the party guys) and after a little while, the real invasion starts with the named characters leading it. Once those die, chaos stops being a thing outside Morathi/Beastmen/Rogue Armies(and of those, Vashnaar's Conquest is the only notably chaos-y one).

Thanks guys! The guy that just spawned is a named one (Foreverchosen or something silly like that?) so I guess I'll have to get to killing him. I love the narrative I've had with this first Chaos Invasion - I had just taken Erengrad from Kislev then had to fight off a Chaos siege of it for four straight turns (a fresh Chaos army each turn) while also fighting off Kislev and taking the city of Kislev in the same span. Now I'm working on being able to colonize the Eastern Oblast and Gianthome Mountains and clear Kislev out of the N. World's Edge Mountains.

It looks like my best bet for fighting off what I assume will be better and better stacks of Chaos will be Zweihanders, Halberdiers, Handgunners, and Demigryph Knights with Halberds for anti motherfucking chariots?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

KazigluBey posted:

I feel like the leadership aura of lords and heroes is underrated, the frontline buckled immediately to some cannon fodder zombies spooking them.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Thanks guys! The guy that just spawned is a named one (Foreverchosen or something silly like that?) so I guess I'll have to get to killing him. I love the narrative I've had with this first Chaos Invasion - I had just taken Erengrad from Kislev then had to fight off a Chaos siege of it for four straight turns (a fresh Chaos army each turn) while also fighting off Kislev and taking the city of Kislev in the same span. Now I'm working on being able to colonize the Eastern Oblast and Gianthome Mountains and clear Kislev out of the N. World's Edge Mountains.

It looks like my best bet for fighting off what I assume will be better and better stacks of Chaos will be Zweihanders, Halberdiers, Handgunners, and Demigryph Knights with Halberds for anti motherfucking chariots?

yeah, that's the standard. mortars are largely wasted, and cannons are pretty mediocre against most of the Chaos arsenal.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
make sure you have vanguard deployable fast movers or something to deal with hellcannons. 3 in a chaos stack can easily rack 300+ kills against an infantry heavy army

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

I mean I know Tomb King infantry are weak, but.... really, autoresolve?

edit: I lost lmao. blessed carnosaur ate my army

peer fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 29, 2018

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

peer posted:

I mean I know Tomb King infantry are weak, but.... really, autoresolve?

tbh looks about right to me

e: I didn't realize Kemmler started near Bretonnia and this is the most fun start to a campaign ever. Just murder peasants over and over

The Duggler fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 29, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is there a way via a console or save-file editing to fix some of the skills I took with my leaders? Namely Karl Franz - I didnt realize there was a level cap and now that I'm nearly there I realize I took a few skills I didnt need and would like to fix it if at all possible.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

yeah, that's the standard. mortars are largely wasted, and cannons are pretty mediocre against most of the Chaos arsenal.
Yeah I felt like my Mortars didnt do poo poo even when I had three of them blasting one spot over and over so I am going to phase them out as I get the opportunity to rest and refit my armies.

Ammanas posted:

make sure you have vanguard deployable fast movers or something to deal with hellcannons. 3 in a chaos stack can easily rack 300+ kills against an infantry heavy army
Oh yeah, even one was a pain before so I'm going to be using more Pistoliers in my anti-Chaos armies.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008

The Duggler posted:

e: I didn't realize Kemmler started near Bretonnia and this is the most fun start to a campaign ever. Just murder peasants over and over

Poor Alberic de Bordeleaux, you were the only mounted person in your army so 1000 upkeep free skeleton spearmen chased you around until they caught you in the woods and poked you to death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUR-sg5jRBQ

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Oh yeah, even one was a pain before so I'm going to be using more Pistoliers in my anti-Chaos armies.

Definitely don't do this: pistoliers are terrible against armor, which chaos units have in loving droves. Use outriders.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

has anyone tried to make an empire army that plays like the vampire coast?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Whorelord posted:

has anyone tried to make an empire army that plays like the vampire coast?

for a few weeks the empire MP meta was chaff line, outsiders, cannons, dual witch hunters and Gelt with final transmutation.....so kinda, yea

invocation of nehek and summonable zombies make vc/vc better at it than empire can be

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
I have no idea how this happened, but I love it so so much(They are strenght rank 6 of all factions even)

In the start of the campaign I was pushed hard by the orcs as usual but held on, I guess that provided enough of a distraction for these guys to not only survive but grab half the badlands. I thought it was kinds cool and went "hey you do you!" and let them do their own thing. Now they have kicked 2 major factions asses and expanded southwards into the mountains. I really hope we can remain BFFs after the Endtimes. :D

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I'm running another Empire campaign with Lucks overhaul. This time I'm starting with Volkmar.

It's probably the weakest of the three in the mod even with lots of improvements; Franz gets all around universal buffs, Gelt has devastating magic, and Volkmar gets...Flagellants.

Still, he can buff them so much they become a real powerhouse for their cost later on. Unaffected by fear and terror, fighting till the last man, and able to pick up some resilience via physical resist and ward saves along the way. And you get Franz fast enough anyway.

Not the most 'optimal' start but still pretty fun considering the slower pace of battle and the fact that you'll be mainly using a low tier fearless unit so early on.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Just snipe hellcannons with steam tanks or bring a wizard with urannons thunderbolt (need a horse or Pegasus though)

If you really have nothing better by the time big chaos rolls around you can use the mediocre ranges mounted dudes.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Luminark of Hysh is amazing in SFO. Doing Grimgors Gitsnik battle and first shot evaporates a clump of 12 Black Orcs.

I'll try Luckys overhaul tonight later on.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Dandywalken posted:

Luminark of Hysh is amazing in SFO. Doing Grimgors Gitsnik battle and first shot evaporates a clump of 12 Black Orcs.

I'll try Luckys overhaul tonight later on.

It's great in Luckys mod too, particularly because there are many targets with lots of physical resist and regen. You're limited in how many you can take, though Gelt can increase the cap and boost the damage even more.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Noir89 posted:

I have no idea how this happened, but I love it so so much(They are strenght rank 6 of all factions even)

In the start of the campaign I was pushed hard by the orcs as usual but held on, I guess that provided enough of a distraction for these guys to not only survive but grab half the badlands. I thought it was kinds cool and went "hey you do you!" and let them do their own thing. Now they have kicked 2 major factions asses and expanded southwards into the mountains. I really hope we can remain BFFs after the Endtimes. :D

I had the same thing happening to me, only I was playing Belegar, and went to the Badlands as soon as I could. It's pretty amazing when it works out this way.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Anyone who is mildly familiar with multiplayer able to recommend maps that would be good for team games, only so much info I can gleam from the mini map and picture before loading in to some awful cliffs and thick tree lines.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 31, 2018

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Powerful Youtube Thinkfluencers (tm) have come up with a new tournament format: tabletop rules. Basically competitors bring in a single list and take on all comers without prior knowledge of who they're facing. It's a lot of fun to watch! This guy's been hosting them, but if you'd prefer a more photogenic commentator, Turin's put up his games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk--JdQpQ8Y

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Mordja posted:

Powerful Youtube Thinkfluencers (tm) have come up with a new tournament format: tabletop rules. Basically competitors bring in a single list and take on all comers without prior knowledge of who they're facing. It's a lot of fun to watch! This guy's been hosting them, but if you'd prefer a more photogenic commentator, Turin's put up his games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk--JdQpQ8Y

I watched the Turin games and it's actually a real cool format

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Agreed, great format. It's odd that it's taken this long for someone to try it.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Finally took K8P after 76 turns as Belegar with a stack that was almost entirely rangers with a couple longbeards to defend my artillery.

Highly recommend this campaign.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 1, 2019

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

my new years resolution is to PLAY EVEN MORE WARHAMMER 2

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Ammanas posted:

my new years resolution is to PLAY EVEN MORE WARHAMMER 2

new year, new me

*starts yet another empire campaign*

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
My resolution is to actually try a skaven campaign past 20 turns. I just can’t get used to juggling a zillion units running and rallying at the same time.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I think I'll finally get around to playing Lizardmen again. Just played the one Vortex campaign that petered out as I lost interest and went to Skaven, then waited for Mortal Empires.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Probably impossible but I really wish the mod manager had some way to narrow down conflicts because it can take forever to figure out the one that is causing problems. Luckyspade said he updated landmarks of the old world mod but running it causes the game to crash, the GCCM maps are also messed up and I'm not sure exactly what's the issue.

It isn't a problem if you're mostly doing reskins and whatnot but overhauls and scripted events get really complicated.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Nash posted:

My resolution is to actually try a skaven campaign past 20 turns. I just can’t get used to juggling a zillion units running and rallying at the same time.

I started up a Clan Rictus campaign recently and it's been fun as hell once you start unlocking higher tier units. Food has been hell though, the LD penalty makes battles rough and I really have to rely on my artillery pounding the enemy into paste before they even meet my frontline or they buckle quickly. Fortunately Skaven artillery does that very, very well. I think Plagueclaw Catapults are the most important Skaven unit in campaign.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
My resolution is to finally finish this god drat dark elf campaign. I ceould end it pretty easy but I just had to take all of Ulthuan and enslave lothern and it's taking FOREVER

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

I think Plagueclaw Catapults are the most important Skaven unit in campaign.

With Skaven, I quickly realized that too many Plagueclaw Catapults is never enough. As in, on the campaign map: “ugh, I built four plagueclaws, that’s too many” and then when I’m actually fighting “I wish I had more catapults. Four isn’t enough”.

Skaven is so much fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I should probably play a horde faction. I enjoy painting the map too much though.