Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Who's to even say that demons conform to our sexual dichotomy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Demons do not think much about our aesthetics to begin with. Just draw one gargantuan beast with boils and hair all over. THEN you put the bikini armour on them.

i desire to see this now, just the teeniest little bikini on a wallowing horned siege beast

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
NOT IT

I've drawn enough bikinis on things that do not need bikinis

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Mind you if I could do a monthly theme on the daily doodles thread, demons & swimwear would be one hell of a month.

EDITED TO ADD:

lol did anyone actually think I wasn't gonna draw this the first chance I get, it's in the daily doodles thread 'cause I dunno if I should poo poo it all up in here with extreme NSFW
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846757&pagenumber=63#post490605701

Sharpest Crayon fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 11, 2018

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I want to do Pestilence in a posing pouch.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Yesss do it do it. All the Riders in mankinis.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
d'jinn

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
which story in dubliners should i adapt for the storyboard to my grad school application. i'm not doing the dead because thats too long but I'll do one of the other ones.....anonymous votes only please

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?

Sharpest Crayon posted:

They want another hot chick in bikini armour. Please disappoint them massively.

here it is! gonna color her eventually or something.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I've sold smaller pieces before, but today I sold my first 'big' painting, inspired by The Invisible Man, and I have digital copies ready to go to print for early next year.

It's an exciting day.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Congratulations!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

sebmojo posted:

e: also if you want to get further into it then fiction advice or your own thread would probably be a better place, this is general arts chitchat
I just did, using way too many words of course. Thanks again!

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

...why are boots so hard to draw :goleft:

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

a hole-y ghost posted:

that's why everyone in my webcomic wears flippers at all times

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

avshalemon posted:

that's why everyone in my webcomic wears flippers at all times
perfekt

e: wait do you really have a webcomic? if so where is it I would love to read it

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

a hole-y ghost posted:

e: wait do you really have a webcomic?
no

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

sorry I'm dense :sweatdrop:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Well fucken make one then! :colbert:

Don't make one there's a reason the making comics thread is named what it is

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

a hole-y ghost posted:

Just make everyone barefoot. Problem solved.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

gmc9987 posted:

Just make everyone barefoot. Problem solved.

just hide everyone's feet behind a clump of dirt or an extremely localized low pressure front problem extra solved

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

a hole-y ghost posted:

My go-to solution is claw feet. No need for shoes.

Also a surprising amount of people just loving loving to go barefoot.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Actual feet seem a lot tougher to draw than boots.

Actual feet are a lot more fun to draw though.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Confession time: I can't draw pockets so all my characters always have their hands out in full visibility all the time, no one is ever hiding their hands and it's very unnatural. it's really holding my art back to be honest.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

gmc9987 posted:

Confession time: I can't draw pockets so all my characters always have their hands out in full visibility all the time, no one is ever hiding their hands and it's very unnatural. it's really holding my art back to be honest.
same, but mine walk around with one hand behind their head and the other hand resting on their own rear end at all times so you can't see them, except when i have to draw them from the back, in which case they're usually covering their faces as they weep

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Actual feet seem a lot tougher to draw than boots.

Actual feet are a lot more fun to draw though.
no way man, feet have all the little parts that are there so it's easier to place everything, whereas boots are like one continuous shape. it's like drawing an old wwii warplane vs modern blended wing body bs

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Always have your character kicking at the viewer so all you need to draw is the bottom of the shoe with all the tiny treads so you have tiny things to draw.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Always have your character kicking at the viewer so all you need to draw is the bottom of the shoe with all the tiny treads so you have tiny things to draw.

quite possibly the dumbest thing i've ever doodled

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

anyone else magically forget what anything is supposed to look like when they start drawing? :eng99:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

This is likely because our brains are efficiency machines. We love patterns and iconography and symbols. I reckon that to memorize the complete data about any given object is much more resource intensive than memorizing a small list of earmark details and putting them away for later. When we see an object we just compare the reality to our shortcut list and find a match, and all of that actual data is there in real life for us to reference. Drawing produces the opposite task: produce all of that actual data yourself and THEN determine if it matches the shortcut data in our head and we're just not used to taking in or producing data in that way.

Edit: the short version is that you never actually learned what stuff actually looked like in the first place.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

mutata posted:

This is likely because our brains are efficiency machines. We love patterns and iconography and symbols. I reckon that to memorize the complete data about any given object is much more resource intensive than memorizing a small list of earmark details and putting them away for later. When we see an object we just compare the reality to our shortcut list and find a match, and all of that actual data is there in real life for us to reference. Drawing produces the opposite task: produce all of that actual data yourself and THEN determine if it matches the shortcut data in our head and we're just not used to taking in or producing data in that way.

Edit: the short version is that you never actually learned what stuff actually looked like in the first place.
True true
It just bugs me that, when seeing a drawing of, for example, a cello, I'd be able to instantly recognize when the shape is slightly off, but can't pull on that same precision when drawing one unless copying pretty closely from reference...

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Well, the precision (as I'm sure you know) is in the recognizing, not in the moving of the hand. You've been practicing seeing all waking hours of your entire life, but you only practice drawing x minutes of the day etc. If you had been training your hands as long as you've been training your eyes you WOULD have that precision. :)

Also, as a result of 2D print and digital media we're all experts on translating a 2D image on paper/screen to 3D in our brains but NO ONE but artists have to learn how to do the opposite: translate a 3D irl object into 2D on a page.

In many ways as an artist you are wiring your brain to work in reverse!

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Al! posted:

quite possibly the dumbest thing i've ever doodled

I appreciate the obvious tracksuit bottoms to give this an extra slav vibe.

I have provided a similar solution:

a hole-y ghost should have no problems drawing boots ever again.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

:swoon:

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

God drat this is so factual.

https://twitter.com/oikvw/status/1078836783482265601?s=21

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

after ending up with like 100 different graphics just called "arrow.ai" I started putting dates in the filenames haha

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Yet there's something quite satisfying about finding a file called "whatevr" or "uglyomg" and finding out what treasures hide within.

Edited to add: if there's a filename with a word that's correctly spelled, that's completely by accident.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Out of curiosity I searched my drawings folder for *.psd and picked a weird sounding one.

Hence, enjoy globs.psd

e: V thantks

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 31, 2018

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

a hole-y ghost posted:

Out of curiosity I searched my drawings folder for *.psd and picked a weird sounding one.

Hence, enjoy globs.psd

kicks rear end tbh

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
This could be a drawing meme. Look at old filenames, don't open any, and draw what you think is inside when one catches your eye. Then compare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Fish Noise posted:

This could be a drawing meme. Look at old filenames, don't open any, and draw what you think is inside when one catches your eye. Then compare.

:ck5: