Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Nephthys posted:

I like how everyone complaining about how bullshit this bit was didn't even bother to mention how Giorno was infected with a virus that turns you into melty goo within 30 seconds.... for at least 5 minutes, only getting some slight blemishes.

Everyone has already accepted that there is no consistent passage of time in Jojo.

Oh, I never commented on it in the thread, but I definitely noticed that Giorno only got mild blemishes while Illuso, who was infected afterwards, has his hand melt down to the bone almost immediately.

Glagha posted:

Also I feel like Purple Haze is one of those stands that's like "wow I really wrote myself into a corner with this didn't I" and some serious bullshit needs to get pulled to fix it.

Purple Haze is basically Magician's Red or The Hand, only with a built in limitation as to why it's not used often.

That being said, as someone pointed out, if Giorno just shared some more snake blood with the rest of the group...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Giorno says that he can't control the animals, but I feel that just absolutely cannot be true, there's multiple examples where he has to be lying about that

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

Giorno says that he can't control the animals, but I feel that just absolutely cannot be true, there's multiple examples where he has to be lying about that

he doesn't control them but they generally listen to what he tells them to do.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Pomplamoose posted:

I mean I still like part 5 it's just that with Gold Experience, when anything seems possible, nothing is surprising.

Gold Experience is my least favourite main character Stand for the exact reasons you outline in this post, but I don't think it's ever as bad again. Plus, come on, Sticky Fingers is great so this part gets a pass, I think.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Gold Experience is my least favourite main character Stand for the exact reasons you outline in this post, but I don't think it's ever as bad again. Plus, come on, Sticky Fingers is great so this part gets a pass, I think.

Remember which thread this is.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
loving all these guesses at what vehicle the key goes to :allears:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Expect My Mom posted:

What do you mean? My snake eats bread all the time!

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Kuvo posted:

loving all these guesses at what vehicle the key goes to :allears:

Is it the yellow submarine from part 3?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
No one would have ever expected the Boss to have access to a WWI-era North Sea-class airship that George Joestar II once flew, much less in good, working repair, but here we are.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I hope the special episode is a tourist video about vacation spots in Italy and nothing else.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Pomplamoose posted:

Is it the yellow submarine from part 3?

gently caress me that's a good guess

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Nobody confirm or deny any guesses. We apparently have two weeks of amusement to come.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The key is to dio's road roller

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The brick snake kinda sorta makes sense if you squint a little and read a few things into the story. Basically the way it makes sense is if Gold Experience jabbed some blood with antibodies in it into Giorno and then just started creating a shitton more of said antibodies inside his body. I'm also assuming that Gold Experience can't make lifeforms that it doesn't know about, which is why it needed the snake.

But yeah, this is some primo Araki Asspull right here.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

If I remember right I think the manga tried to sell that moment more by explaining a little why making the snake inside the disease cloud made it be born immune so he could use its blood to cure himself but it was still a handwave there too.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Why'd he have to kill Bricksnake

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh, I never commented on it in the thread, but I definitely noticed that Giorno only got mild blemishes while Illuso, who was infected afterwards, has his hand melt down to the bone almost immediately.

The virus didn't melt his hand, that was him leaving his infected flesh behind when he left the mirror world

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

RatHat posted:

What do you mean? My snake eats bread all the time!

Black Shadow Sabbath: You ate zeh bread, didn't you?

I''ll give you one more chanse

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I don't mind Gold Experience for the most part, but the one thing that bothers me is that it was written to have stuff in addition to its ridiculously overpowered "creates life" thing.
Not a fan of what happens when it punches people and the reflect thing it does just seems kinda off-brand.

Maybe there's some extremely specific japanese pun that makes the damage reflection make sense, but I never really understood it.

Snake brick vaccines are fine though. It doesn't really seem that strange to me. "Life" as a concept is forced into a brick in the specific form of a snake. In order for the brick to be a living snake in such a hostile environment, all it really needs are antibodies to this specific virus. It's dumb and deterministic, but not any dumber than anything else in the series.
If anything, I'd argue that it's narratively a bit silly that Giorno gets to steal both Fugos and Abacchios spotlight. I read this years ago and while I did remember how absurdly lethal Fugos stand was, I didn't actually remember the resolution to this fight.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the life punch and damage reflection should pretty much be regarded the same as poo poo like star finger. it happens like once or twice and then is never relevant again because it's stupid and/or not really applicable or useful to whatever situation is going on.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Gold Experience makes sense to me if you think of Giorno as a Persona protagonist. He's just making new Social Links with the gang and switching out his Stand's powers. :v:

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Monaghan posted:

I get jojo has some bullshit, but this fight was terrible. Jojo fights are fun when we see them be creative with their powers with clear understandable limits. It's almost like a mystery story- the readers want to think of a way the character can use their intelligence and ability to get around their enemy. this fight is just "I can do this now" to a ridiculous degree.This fight has Giorno do stuff he's never done before and relies on the following:

1) Giorno's can turn something into half an inanimate object.
2) Turning an object into something makes it immune to any diseases that are on the object.
3) Girno infected himself and somehow knew that Mirror man would grab him and drag him in before the virus killed him.
4) the snake will also generate antibodies to the virus that can somehow be transferred into a human.
5) This antibody will work instantly because the virus kills you in under a minute.

not to mention Giorno's whole plan relied on the snake following the guy, instead of, I don't know doing snake poo poo. The fight with Bruno at least had the half assed explanation of it being from his tooth and wanting to go back to it's original body.

Also minor nitpick but some of Jojo's fights are tiring when life threatening injures- like getting your hand cut off, is pretty much shrugged off next episode.

I think it was cool.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Gold Experience is a God stand. That's it. The sooner you come to grips w that is the sooner you can decide whether you'll love it or hate it going forward. I've been pleasantly surprised so far that there is a bit more to Giorno than just being Pt 2 Joseph without the personality like I feared, and enjoy how the story's been leaning into "Giorno, you are some brokenass bullshit, but knowing that bullshit is on my side is bullshit I can believe in."

Araki's demonstrated already he's still capable of writing predicaments having nothing to do w Giorno that the protaganist can get their own drat self out of, so I have faith in the writing going forward and I liked this fight a lot. It mostly depends on how much "wait, WHAT" you're willing to put up with at the breakneck pace the show has been going.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Pootybutt posted:

Araki's demonstrated already he's still capable of writing predicaments having nothing to do w Giorno that the protaganist can get their own drat self out of, so I have faith in the writing going forward and I liked this fight a lot. It mostly depends on how much "wait, WHAT" you're willing to put up with at the breakneck pace the show has been going.

The breakneck pace hasn't been a thing since Battle In Egypt started. I much preferred the speed at which Part 1 and 2 blazed by, rather than "every enemy takes 2-3 episodes now" we got since BiE.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Johnny Joestar posted:

the life punch and damage reflection should pretty much be regarded the same as poo poo like star finger. it happens like once or twice and then is never relevant again because it's stupid and/or not really applicable or useful to whatever situation is going on.

Yeah, as a general rule, you shouldn't expect any stand to do the exact thing it did during its introduction.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kikas posted:

I much preferred the speed at which Part 1 and 2 blazed by, rather than "every enemy takes 2-3 episodes now" we got since BiE.

That started more-so around The Lovers rather than Egypt. I think The Sun and Oingo Boingo were the only fights after that point that weren't two episodes. Even then, the former was stretched out quite a bit to fill a whole episode.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
From the look of it when the blood was shoved into him, GE was using it's power on the antibodies to accelerate their growth (Something we know it can do) enough to cure Giorno.

Honestly Man in the Mirror is a pretty good fight, the cure part is just a bit iffy is all.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dragonwagon posted:

Yeah, as a general rule, you shouldn't expect any stand to do the exact thing it did during its introduction.

I'm still not quite sure how Josuke did that homing glass bullshit at the end of part 4.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
iirc he uses crazy diamond on kira's blood on the glass so the glass shards will slice into kira when the blood attempts go back into kira's body

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Pretty sure it was Josuke's blood and it was targeting the bloodstain from before when he threw his blood at Kira.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

RatHat posted:

I'm still not quite sure how Josuke did that homing glass bullshit at the end of part 4.

Part 1: When Okuyasu is injured and seemingly dead, an invisible bubble begins to float towards Josuke. At the last minute, Josuke punctures himself to make blood, and then "fixes" it into a blade that he launches at Kira. Kira blocks it, but the blood splatters on his clothes.

Part 2: Later on, Josuke takes a glass shard that has some of his blood on it. Since the previous blood he launched at Kira dried and the shard has his own dried blood on it, that blood is technically not a part of him anymore and instead tries to meld with each other. So the shard winds up aiming towards Kira to bring the two dried blood splotches together.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah that! josuke's blood, kira's blood same thing

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Thing that really bothered me about this chapter, as the last of the introductory fights, Fugo gets kinda punked out and doesn’t get to do much to show why he’s good and cool.

Abachio didn’t win his fight but he played a real big role in solving the mystery and leading a better punchman to the finish line

All Fugo really did was break a mirror and then Abachio took over with no aid and then Giorno finished it with no aid

I guess it uses Fugo’s stand to finish the fight, but that feels like a showcase for Purple Haze, not Fugo

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Kikas posted:

The breakneck pace hasn't been a thing since Battle In Egypt started. I much preferred the speed at which Part 1 and 2 blazed by, rather than "every enemy takes 2-3 episodes now" we got since BiE.

I don't know what you're talkin about, man. Part 5 just blasts thru this material.

Honestly the most suspect part of the whole fight isn't snakebrick or floaty blues hand, but how illuso could put amirror in ambush next to the key wo noticing it, or even knowing there was a key.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 30, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sockser posted:

Thing that really bothered me about this chapter, as the last of the introductory fights, Fugo gets kinda punked out and doesn’t get to do much to show why he’s good and cool.

Abachio didn’t win his fight but he played a real big role in solving the mystery and leading a better punchman to the finish line

All Fugo really did was break a mirror and then Abachio took over with no aid and then Giorno finished it with no aid

I guess it uses Fugo’s stand to finish the fight, but that feels like a showcase for Purple Haze, not Fugo

Fugo's stand is kind of a massive liability, is the point there

He could end most fights in seconds but doing it without killing himself and everyone else nearby is the problem

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Pootybutt posted:

Honestly the most suspect part of the whole fight isn't snakebrick or floaty blues hand, but how illuso could put amirror in ambush next to the key wo noticing it, or even knowing there was a key.

I think the implication was that he had seeded the entire area with mirrors. The one Fugo gets sucked into wasn't particularly near the dog mosaic, after all.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

RatHat posted:

This twitter feed has major spoilers by the way, so don't click it.

"he has one of those powers that just does whatever" is still my fav. description of giorno's stand

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

jivjov posted:

I think the implication was that he had seeded the entire area with mirrors. The one Fugo gets sucked into wasn't particularly near the dog mosaic, after all.

That's the implication, but it reads a lil weird in the moment. It was in the perfect place for an ambush the second someone went for the key, but dude didn't see it? OK.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
What does it say when my major bullshit moment about brick snake was the point 4 in that sequence, i.e Gold Experience creating Giorno-compatible antibodies and all that within reptilian body?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Pomplamoose posted:

Crazy Diamond was the best stand so far from a narrative perspective. It had easy to understand rules and could do a wide variety of surprising things without completely breaking those rules. While it's still extremely powerful it never feels cheap, and Josuke not being able to heal himself provides an uncomplicated but meaningful drawback.

If you like stands being versatile yet simple youll love the protag of Stone Oceans stand