Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."

Lightning Knight posted:

And then they would be a terrible person? I don’t see how this is relevant.

You were making the point that no lawyer should step up and defend them and my point is lovely people with lovely views become lawyers too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Y’all saying that somebody you don’t like only deserves a public defender have obviously never had the great misfortune of experiencing our criminal justice system as a defendant.

Punch nazis all drat day. Fix our bullshit criminal justice system. Until you fix it, everyone deserves competent representation. Punch the fucker outside of the courtroom for being a nazi.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

jase1 posted:

You were making the point that no lawyer should step up and defend them and my point is lovely people with lovely views become lawyers too.

I mean ok but I’m saying “no lawyer should agree to defend them voluntarily, or they are a lovely person.” Nazis are by definition lovely people so of course a Nazi lawyer would be lovely.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Y’all saying that somebody you don’t like only deserves a public defender have obviously never had the great misfortune of experiencing our criminal justice system as a defendant.

Punch nazis all drat day. Fix our bullshit criminal justice system. Until you fix it, everyone deserves competent representation. Punch the fucker outside of the courtroom for being a nazi.

This argument completely ignores the agency of the lawyer who accepts that contract though. Do you think lawyers accept every client that walks through their door out of their moral obligation to defend people?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
As a palate cleanser, enjoy two people who can't read being VERY sure that it's everyone else who is wrong when they invoke the USPOL of 50 years ago:

https://twitter.com/MaxKennerly/status/1078777955562729472

https://twitter.com/RonRosenbaum1/status/1079006088522067969

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Mendrian posted:

The difference is that communist boogiemen are not currently out to curtail the rights of others.

People are allowed to decline to help or serve Nazis in a private capacity. This is the difficulty with Nazism in a liberal society in general; unlike other groups, to do otherwise is to embolden them.

Also for what it's worth, our society already does refuse to employ openly Nazi assholes. We've seen a number of companies fire their employees over racist Facebook memes (though probably not nearly enough).

Also also, 'this is just like the Red Scare, and everybody agrees the Red Scare was bad!' is bad appeal. Address the issue as it appears today, or not at all.

We're in the middle of a thread where leftists are explaining why certain types of people should have their rights curtailed.

So yes, communists absolutely did, and still do, advocate for curtailing certain types of rights. Or they deny that those rights should exist in the first place.

You couldn't make a more disingenuous and ignorant argument if you tried.

Its funny to watch this clusterfuck because it is a microcosm of why leftists states inevitably end up as police states. The State declares that "certain" people don't have rights and that list of people keeps growing until no one has any rights.

Rights either apply to everyone or no one.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Radish posted:

If the argument is "a court appointed attorney is tantamount to not getting representation" what the hell does that say about the large amount of people that have to get that purely because they can't afford a lawyer? Isn't the apparent fact that people aren't able to get adequate legal representation based on their economic status a much bigger deal that once again defending the navel gazing idea that we have to defend nazis lest we become them?

I'm saying that based on the previous notion since the idea that court appointed lawyers are inherently inferior to be pretty lovely and insulting, especially since that sort of work is incredibly important and honorable, much more than Alan Dershowitz making huge sums defending rich murderers and pedophiles.

Let me refer you to this post I made a little while back in the SCOTUS thread:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

And a harmful fiction, because it lends legitimacy to the court system when it does illegitimate and highly political things (e.g., ratifying Trump's muslim ban).

The problem is that a realistic assessment of how political -- and how necessarily partial -- the legal system is, would necessarily require a ground-up rebuild of the whole system from first principles. The core concepts -- from the notion of the possibility of impartial human arbiters, to the idea that punitive incarceration has any social utility at all -- are just invalid in a host of ways. The whole system is based on enlightenment-era ideas that we now know to be just wrong (for example, the concept that human beings are individually responsible for their actions, and not just creatures of circumstance and habit, biological machines who are only accidentally functional), and that's where it isn't based on even more ridiculous medieval or earlier concepts that have just sortof hung around in the law for whatever reason (asset forfeiture, for example, derives from the same body of law, the law of deodand, that allowed lawsuits against trees because of the actions of the evil spirits within the tree).

Just as one example, any federal judge who honestly came to terms with how repressive the plea bargain system is, and how inherently racist the legal system as a whole is, would have to stop participating in that system and retire. Like, we all know this is the case, but if we came to terms with it, the system as a whole would implode, so we don't. If the system is so racist that a black man can't get a fair trial (it is, and they can't), how can we continue to put black men on trial, knowing those trials will necessarily be unfair?

At least with trial by combat you could argue that the side with less money often had a realistic shot of winning. :shrug: To the extent that justice happens in our legal system, it's often more to the credit of the best efforts of the people working within that system; despite the system not because of it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3590854&pagenumber=509#post490911057

On the specific issue of public defenders, most public defenders would (if you could them to speak frankly) agree with the statement that having a public defender represent you is not adequate. Most public defenders are horribly overworked and underpaid and almost definitionally do not have enough time to focus on your case to the extent it deserves.

It's basically a misnomer to call our legal system a "justice" system at all.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 29, 2018

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If a lawyer wants to defend a Nazi for money that is his or her decision and no one is advocating that being illegal. The thing is no one else is bound to respect that or treat it like they are protecting some precious value.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Let me refer you to this post I made a little while back in the SCOTUS thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3590854&pagenumber=509#post490911057

On the specific issue of public defenders, most public defenders would agree with the statement that having a public defender represent you is not adequate. Most public defenders are horribly overworked and underpaid and almost definitionally do not have enough time to focus on your case to the extent it deserves.

It's basically a misnomer to call our legal system a "justice" system at all.

Yeah I absolutely agree that a public defender is typically overworked and a client isn't getting the much more laser focused representation a more expensive personal lawyer would be able to provide. I agree this should be something we work to make better on a societal level in general instead of worrying about nazis not getting the best defense. It's also a problem because our justice system is designed to get as many poor people integrated into it which is more work per public defender which is another issue needing to be addressed.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 29, 2018

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Koalas Massacre posted:

Black speech is already limited by virtue of our society. There's a reason code switching exists. BLM activists are already labeled Black Identity Extremists for saying that racism is real and bad.

Hate speech laws are not gonna make a dent in our day to day lives or activism with the exception that we will be allowed to report our harassers to the authorities. Now whether the authorities will enforce hatespeech laws is another matter all together.

Out of curiosity, are you saying that code switching is the product of a racist society? It's my understanding that it is a more widespread aspect of human behavior that occurs regardless of cultural context.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Xae posted:

We're in the middle of a thread where leftists are explaining why certain types of people should have their rights curtailed.

So yes, communists absolutely did, and still do, advocate for curtailing certain types of rights. Or they deny that those rights should exist in the first place.

Its funny to watch this clusterfuck because it is a microcosm of why leftists states inevitably end up as police states. The State declares that "certain" people don't have rights and that list of people keeps growing until no one has any rights.

Okay.

So which rights, specifically, are thread leftists asking to curtail?

* Nobody is advocating for Randazza to not have a lawyer, they're just saying that accepting him as a client carries certain connotations.
* Despite people crawling out of the woodwork to defend free speech the only thing people are advocating for is the enforcement of existing hate speech law.

I see a lot of dancing around the issues but that's all I'm seeing? Which is actually the status quo?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Popehat has his uses. He gets guillotined last.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Radish posted:

If a lawyer wants to defend a Nazi for money that is his or her decision and no one is advocating that being illegal. The thing is no one else is bound to respect that or treat it like they are protecting some precious value.

Yeah I absolutely understand that a public defender is typically overworked and a client isn't getting the much more laser focused representation a more expensive personal lawyer would be able to provide. This should be something we work to make better on a societal level in general instead of worrying about nazis not getting the best defense. It's also a problem because our justice system is designed to get as many poor people integrated into it which is more work per public defender which is another issue needing to be addressed.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Besesoth posted:

As a palate cleanser, enjoy two people who can't read being VERY sure that it's everyone else who is wrong when they invoke the USPOL of 50 years ago:

https://twitter.com/MaxKennerly/status/1078777955562729472

https://twitter.com/RonRosenbaum1/status/1079006088522067969

doesn't the GOP ghouls try to push that it was premeditated murder or some poo poo. like yeah, he let her loving die and being a broken rich rear end in a top hat, probably didn't care that she died.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There Bias Two posted:

Out of curiosity, are you saying that code switching is the product of a racist society? It's my understanding that it is a more widespread aspect of human behavior that occurs regardless of cultural context.

Complete this sentence:

“The term ‘code switching’ was invented specifically to describe ____________________.”

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Radish posted:

Yeah I absolutely agree that a public defender is typically overworked and a client isn't getting the much more laser focused representation a more expensive personal lawyer would be able to provide. I agree this should be something we work to make better on a societal level in general instead of worrying about nazis not getting the best defense. It's also a problem because our justice system is designed to get as many poor people integrated into it which is more work per public defender which is another issue needing to be addressed.

This is a good post and I agree with it entirely.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1079082188665171971

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1079083702943211520

gently caress off, Donny.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Xae posted:

the rights of most people are already curtailed.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

The gist of it is that appearing too black in a lot of contexts is a great way to get arrested or shot, so code switching is a survival tool and not just a result of basic social chameleon instincts.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

every time you think this animal has bottom, he digs another mile.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

if we had actual free speech people would be able to say what was fully justified in response to that.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Democrats face electoral annihilation in the next election for ignoring the plague of legal immigration!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1079083702943211520

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

Put a little thought into what you are asking. Like there was literally a great movie that came out this year about a black sales person who climbs up the corporate ladder thanks to his "white voice". Sorry To Bother You, and there is actually a LOT more to that movie but lol

I mean like 90% of the time you can point to some lovely societal/historical thing in the United States and the answer is racism.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Someone told him that dead kids at the border makes him look bad.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

doesn't the GOP ghouls try to push that it was premeditated murder or some poo poo. like yeah, he let her loving die and being a broken rich rear end in a top hat, probably didn't care that she died.

The Kennedys actually all loving universally sucked (especially their loving shitheel of a father), besides Bobby who seems like their might have been a decent person underneath maybe

The End

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

The Kennedys actually all loving universally sucked (especially their loving shitheel of a father), besides Bobby who seems like their might have been a decent person underneath maybe

Take a look at my JFK writeup in the Presidents' thread; Bobby was kind of a dick too.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Mendrian posted:

Okay.

So which rights, specifically, are thread leftists asking to curtail?

* Nobody is advocating for Randazza to not have a lawyer, they're just saying that accepting him as a client carries certain connotations.
* Despite people crawling out of the woodwork to defend free speech the only thing people are advocating for is the enforcement of existing hate speech law.

I see a lot of dancing around the issues but that's all I'm seeing? Which is actually the status quo?
Everyone has the right to a "zealous" defense. Not the bare minimum to not get censured. This is because otherwise you end up with situation like police states have where the defense lawyer does nothing to assist the defendant. Because if he does try and defend the person he'll end up strung up along side him.

Lightning Knight posted:

He deserves legal representation in the form of a court appointed defense attorney who does the bare minimum to establish competent defense and avoid censure and nothing more.

Lightning Knight posted:

No, it is not. But I am in fact arguing that fascists don’t deserve the same treatment as everyone else, yes.

Next time do your own homework.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

I'm guessing that the father said no such thing?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

The End

i sorta like JFK because at least he believed in diplomacy and empathy sorta. too bad about getting us deeper in vietnam and being a sexpest.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Xae posted:

Everyone has the right to a "zealous" defense. Not the bare minimum to not get censured. This is because otherwise you end up with situation like police states have where the defense lawyer does nothing to assist the defendant. Because if he does try and defend the person he'll end up strung up along side him.

Next time do your own homework.

“Not treating Nazis better than most of the population will lead to a leftist police state” - A Take.

Most people already don’t get a “zealous” defense. A Nazi getting a mediocre defense is actually par for the system.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Xae posted:

Everyone has the right to a "zealous" defense. Not the bare minimum to not get censured. This is because otherwise you end up with situation like police states have where the defense lawyer does nothing to assist the defendant.

This already happens but like most things no one gives a gently caress when it happens to black people but suddenly now that it theoretically might happen to a Nazi people are happy to come out the woodwork to say how our justice system can be bad.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

“Not treating Nazis better than most of the population will lead to a leftist police state” - A Take.

Most people already don’t get a “zealous” defense. A Nazi getting a mediocre defense is actually par for the system.

Koalas Massacre posted:

This already happens but like most things no one gives a gently caress when it happens to black people but suddenly now that it theoretically might happen to a Nazi people are happy to come out the woodwork to say how our justice system can be bad.

Whataboutism - A mods tale.

Lightning Knight, you want an authoritarian police state where only "certain people" have rights. At least own up to it.

No one here has said the US justice system is without fault. But actively seeking to deny people rights is a terrible idea.

Xae fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 29, 2018

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i sorta like JFK because at least he believed in diplomacy and empathy sorta. too bad about getting us deeper in vietnam and being a sexpest.

There was also the part where he had the president of South Vietnam whacked for not being committed enough to the cause.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Katt posted:

There was also the part where he had the president of South Vietnam whacked for not being committed enough to the cause.

ehh. that was more because diem was catholic nutter who was fine oppressing the poo poo out of the his own people and killings and poo poo and stopping reunification talks was basically making South vietnam his own little fiefdom for him and his family. it was more a military coup with the CIA promising to look the other way, out of all the coups/assassinations we helped with. diem was probably one of the few who actually deserved what he got.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 29, 2018

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Lightning Knight posted:

Its also funny that the Nazi usually lives to get their mediocre to better than should be defense when the black person gets shot before they even get their hands up.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
you guys are all missing the joke so hard. dude's last name is not Kennedy, take another look.

:thejoke:

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."

Koalas Massacre posted:

Arguing for equal treatment of all people is not the same as saying you don’t care about black people getting screwed by the justice system. I’m well aware of that and take issue with that as well. Taking away the rights of a certain person because they have lovely views will ultimately lead to abuse of that power and in turn be used to take away the rights of poor people and minorities.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Whataboutism was invented by lawyers you brokebrain.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

you guys are all missing the joke so hard. dude's last name is not Kennedy, take another look.

:thejoke:

Ted Kennedy’s death was a celebrated event in many many thousands of Americans homes.

Do not take that from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Xae posted:

Whataboutism - A mods tale.

Lightning Knight, you want an authoritarian police state where only "certain people" have rights. At least own up to it.

No one here has said the US justice system is without fault. But actively seeking to deny people rights is a terrible idea.

I have argued that lawyers should treat Nazis differently, not the law as such. I stand by that. gently caress Nazis. Acting as if this is some terrible authoritarian regime I want to impose, as opposed to saying mean things online about lawyers who willingly defend Nazis, is hilarious.