Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

mysterious frankie posted:

Cheese and crackers, you weren’t joking about this being good! Strong recommend to anyone on the fence, even if the sheer intensity of the rollercoaster drops off after episode one, which it doesn’t appear to be doing.

You probably haven't gotten there yet, but it's the only show I can think of that has (zero-context) "I'm gonna snap that wrist over your delivery bike and smoke all your weed" in its quotable rolodex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Fart City posted:

You probably haven't gotten there yet, but it's the only show I can think of that has (zero-context) "I'm gonna snap that wrist over your delivery bike and smoke all your weed" in its quotable rolodex.

Nope, haha. I did just get to the Shining reference though.

It’s a little less breakneck by episode three, but no less fun. I am astounded that someone did a Grant Morrison story justice as a show, but here we are. 2018 is ending on a hopeful note.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's a sci-fi film on netflix right now called 2036: Origin Unknown that is a total mindfuck. Thanks for reading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUYeBmFUt1M

Slutitution fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 29, 2018

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Personally, I thought that movie was a bore that really wanted to be a new 2001.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Fart City posted:

"Nick Sax! NYPD...ish"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fart City posted:

Lmao that moment cracked me the gently caress up

Meloni is so good

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

SyFy has kinda stepped up their game in the last few years. The movies are as poo poo as ever, but pretty much all of their recent shows are neat; Z Nation is probably the worst of the bunch and even it's pretty fun.

You can't talk about how good Syfy has gotten without mentioning The Magicians and The Expanse. Season 3 of the Magicians is now on Netflix, and was maybe the funniest show of 2018. Still waiting in season 3 of The Expanse to show up on Amazon Prime.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

While it ran its course wish Znation had another one. Stupid, yet funny campy crap.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Nihonniboku posted:

You can't talk about how good Syfy has gotten without mentioning The Magicians and The Expanse. Season 3 of the Magicians is now on Netflix, and was maybe the funniest show of 2018. Still waiting in season 3 of The Expanse to show up on Amazon Prime.

Hopefully, Magicians the only one that is furry/beastiality themed or I'll have to give up on these other Syfy shows, too. Looking forward to Happy! otherwise.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Mammal Sauce posted:

Hopefully, Magicians the only one that is furry/beastiality themed or I'll have to give up on these other Syfy shows, too. Looking forward to Happy! otherwise.

The infamous fox scene is so disappointingly tame. It's hard to believe that it inspired so much pearl-clutching.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Hogwarts University was definitely not my thing, but Happy! was great. I will get around to Expanse some day, it sounds like it would be for me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I love black mirror but there is something so inherently unappealing about a CYOA movie to me

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

I love black mirror but there is something so inherently unappealing about a CYOA movie to me

That's how I felt but it ended up being pretty good.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sarchasm posted:

The infamous fox scene is so disappointingly tame. It's hard to believe that it inspired so much pearl-clutching.

Honestly, regardless of how tame or graphic it is, it falls into the category of "poo poo I do not want to look at." Fortunately, Magicians is the only ongoing SyFy show that's rapey like that (Blood Drive was also pretty... not good where this subject matter is concerned, but it's Blood Drive and its literal mission statement was "offend as many people as possible")

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Partway through Happy! ep 7 and my recommendation remains strong. I hope they do more adaptations of Morrison's short run, self contained stories. There's at least a few high concept, low ambition things he's done that, if handled like this, could make for great tv.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Honestly, regardless of how tame or graphic it is, it falls into the category of "poo poo I do not want to look at."

It's soap opera sex between two adults intercut with nature documentary footage of two foxes playing in the snow.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

precision posted:

That's how I felt but it ended up being pretty good.

Agreed. I wasn't expecting it to get so meta but I probably should have.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sarchasm posted:

It's soap opera sex between two adults intercut with nature documentary footage of two foxes playing in the snow.

... that's an odd way to show someone getting raped by a fox demon, which is what I understand to be happening in the scene.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

... that's an odd way to show someone getting raped by a fox demon, which is what I understand to be happening in the scene.

There's a rape scene in Magicians (and it's a doozy) but it has nothing to do with foxes.

Have you seen the show? It feels like you're conflating two scenes that you know by reputation.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sarchasm posted:

There's a rape scene in Magicians (and it's a doozy) but it has nothing to do with foxes.

Have you seen the show? It feels like you're conflating two scenes that you know by reputation.
I've only watched parts of the show but based on the books I'm pretty sure that did unfortunately happen?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sarchasm posted:

I haven't seen the show specifically because of this. :v:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

mystes posted:

I've only watched parts of the show but based on the books I'm pretty sure that did unfortunately happen?

There's a fox demon pretending to be a benevolent goddess who tricks Juila and other hedge magicians into summoning him and once summoned he proceeds to posess one of the magicians, rape Julia, and kill all of the rest.

There's also a part where the people at the college are sent to Antarctica to train and part of that is learning how to take on animal forms which results in Quinton and Alice giving into their attraction while in fox form and loving a bunch as animals and it is portrayed as described above.

mystes
May 31, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

There's a fox demon pretending to be a benevolent goddess who tricks Juila and other hedge magicians into summoning him and once summoned he proceeds to posess one of the magicians, rape Julia, and kill all of the rest.

There's also a part where the people at the college are sent to Antarctica to train and part of that is learning how to take on animal forms which results in Quinton and Alice giving into their attraction while in fox form and loving a bunch as animals and it is portrayed as described above.
Sarchasm seemed to be denying that the first thing happened?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I'm pretty sure I only heard about the first of these- that sounds like the thing that traumatized the poo poo out of one of my friends and made her drop the show.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

mystes posted:

Sarchasm posted:

I forgot that the demon possessing that guy was specifically a fox demon because nothing about the scene has anything to do with foxes. This makes me technically incorrect and/or a secret advocate of bestiality.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

mystes posted:

I think Sarchasm is denying that the "fox scene" anything to do with furry/bestiality stuff or rape. This conversation seems to be two people who agree that the rape in the show is horrible but they are each referring to a different scene when reading the phrase "fox scene" so they think they are disagreeing.

I don't know much about the show but out of curiosity from this thread I googled "fox scene" and it has nothing to do with whatever rape goes on. It shows a sex scene between two people cut with foxes in the snow like they said.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Friends had been raving about Bird Box so I watched it and.. That was just incredibly pointless. What is the meaning of this movie? I can't help but to feel they tried to have some deeper meaning or something with her being pregnant, no relations and being a very reclusive person, but it really did not add anything to the story.
This was a huge disappointment :( I've just recently got Netflix, so any recommendations for any good Netflix movies?

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I think the fact that there are two entirely separate ‘Fox sex’ plot lines probably says a lot about the proclivities of the author of the books, but I can confirm that neither of them is treated in a gross / fetishized way in the show. The demon character is never shown with any animal attributes other than yellow demon eyes. (Though that plot is obv very gross and yikes for other reasons)

King of Bleh fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 30, 2018

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Does Bandersnatch work on a TV app, or does it require a mouse/touchscreen?

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lycus posted:

Does Bandersnatch work on a TV app, or does it require a mouse/touchscreen?

It worked fine with a PS4 but I've heard smart TVs didn't support it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

It worked fine with a PS4 but I've heard smart TVs didn't support it.

The Fire Stick has the remote, maybe that works.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Lycus posted:

Hogwarts University was definitely not my thing, but Happy! was great. I will get around to Expanse some day, it sounds like it would be for me.

How far did you get into The Magicians? Because season 1 ranges from mediocre to average at best. I only kept on going because I was a fan of the books.

Season 2 is when the show really starts to become good, and season 3 cemented it as one of the best shows currently on TV.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Stalins Moustache posted:

Friends had been raving about Bird Box so I watched it and.. That was just incredibly pointless. What is the meaning of this movie?

I’d describe it as having been made by AI trained on The Road, A Quiet Place, the Rain, and maybe the book Blindness. This is just the result of all that spit out.

It’s a sucky meaningless mish-mash.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Stalins Moustache posted:

Friends had been raving about Bird Box so I watched it and.. That was just incredibly pointless. What is the meaning of this movie? I can't help but to feel they tried to have some deeper meaning or something with her being pregnant, no relations and being a very reclusive person, but it really did not add anything to the story.
This was a huge disappointment :( I've just recently got Netflix, so any recommendations for any good Netflix movies?

I wouldn't say that it's the meaning of the film but one major theme is motherhood and how Malorie approaches it. The traditional 'good' mothers in various media are affectionate and outwardly loving to their children while Malorie is very harsh with them. Her distance from other people and attitude towards her pregnancy sets up her treatment of the kids.

I think perhaps the viewer is meant to condemn her at first but we understand where she's coming from by the end. She's so focused on survival that everything else is secondary. Tom wants to give them hope and encourage their imaginations but Malorie doesn't see that as necessary to survival. The kids don't need to like her, as they do Tom but follow her orders to stay alive.

Still, she does love them as the last part of the movie makes clear. The movie just portrays a different way of being a loving mother and it's as valid as any.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Bandersnatch was fine, I guess, but it felt pretty unsatisfying, even after going back and redoing half a dozen choices. The complete lack of a set cohesive story kinda defeats the purpose of making it an episode of Black Mirror. There’s little hints of typical BM storytelling flair, but you could easily have stripped the references away and still had the exact same final product.

It’s an interesting gimmick, but I’d have much rather had a normal 90 minute episode.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh yeah, Killing Eve is on Hulu and it's loving fantastic

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Nihonniboku posted:

How far did you get into The Magicians? Because season 1 ranges from mediocre to average at best. I only kept on going because I was a fan of the books.

Season 2 is when the show really starts to become good, and season 3 cemented it as one of the best shows currently on TV.

I'm not gonna watch S2 of a show I didn't like S1 of, period.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
There's a cut out there now of Bandersnatch, with just the studio mandated default choices. Still pretty incoherent and pointless.

New episode type to add the list of Black Mirror formats: What if Black Mirror, but too much.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Hereditary is maybe the most well-rounded horror movie I've seen in recent memory. It ticks all the boxes and leaves me slavering for more of the same. If you felt the same way, you could double feature it with Blackcoat's Daughter which is also on Prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

fishtobaskets posted:

Hereditary is maybe the most well-rounded horror movie I've seen in recent memory. It ticks all the boxes and leaves me slavering for more of the same. If you felt the same way, you could double feature it with Blackcoat's Daughter which is also on Prime.

it was so god drat good but I don't think I can re-watch it