Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

Taravangian's inner monologue though makes it clear he'll sacrifice most of humanity so a little of it can be preserved, and is not trying to destroy Odium, just survive. While Cultivation may have some plans in that regard for him, Taravangian himself is totally willing to sell out.

Why was he thankful to his past self about the Renarin part being hidden from Odium, then?

Slanderer posted:

Gotta avoid mixing up Brandon’s many S words: shards, splinters (spren snd seons, which are splinters too!) and slivers.

He defines a sliver as someone who held the power of a shard and was expanded in the process. For Mistborn, this includes Rashek, Vin and Kelsier.

It seems like a lovely name that actually doesn’t make sense given what we know about the cosmere now, but that’s how it is.

Wait, when did Kelsier get that power? What book is that from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

NikkolasKing posted:

Why was he thankful to his past self about the Renarin part being hidden from Odium, then?

I can't exactly remember the passage, but I think it's because it proved Odium couldn't read his mind/wasn't all-knowing? That's how I interpreted it at least.

I'm totally down with Taravangian saving things, I just get the impression he's going to be a saboteur and traitor before being redeemed, if ever.

The Kelsier stuff is in Secret Histories or Arcanum Unbounded

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

It's non essential, but it comes up in Mistborn Secret History. I know it's also mentioned offhandedly in one other place, too--maybe in one of the Mistborn Era 2 books? If so, that would have been a bigger shock at the time, since Arcanum Unbounded wasn't published until after Bands of Mourning (although I read it after Hero of Ages, so no surprise for me lol)

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Slanderer posted:

It's non essential, but it comes up in Mistborn Secret History. I know it's also mentioned offhandedly in one other place, too--maybe in one of the Mistborn Era 2 books? If so, that would have been a bigger shock at the time, since Arcanum Unbounded wasn't published until after Bands of Mourning (although I read it after Hero of Ages, so no surprise for me lol)

Yeah, reading The Bands of Mourning live was something else, with it ending with a note from Brandon basically saying - yeah, there’s a secret novella that just dropped explaining the epilogue, and also what was actually going on during the original trilogy.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Finished Skyward. Not Sanderson's best work, very very YA. I wouldn't call it bad, but I care more about the setting and it's mysteries then I do about any of the very very shallow characters, which is bad compared to even Sanderson's early stuff where at least one character would be interesting.

Also That slug is totally an alien spy.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Literally just finished Skyward as well. They certainly were pretty shallow, but I still found myself caring for Spensa more than anyone in Wheel of Time :)

That said, I guess I missed it - how did Cobb know about M-Bot

I definitely enjoyed the last 2/3 more than the first 1/3 and I'm looking forward to the next in the series.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Literally just finished Skyward as well. They certainly were pretty shallow, but I still found myself caring for Spensa more than anyone in Wheel of Time :)

That said, I guess I missed it - how did Cobb know about M-Bot

I definitely enjoyed the last 2/3 more than the first 1/3 and I'm looking forward to the next in the series.

I'd guess that M-Bot contacted Cobb on the radio.

mewse
May 2, 2006

NecroMonster posted:

I'd guess that M-Bot contacted Cobb on the radio.

Yeah.. it kinda felt like deus ex machina to me murderbot decides to betray his orders and Cobb decides to fly again at the same time humanity is in mortal danger

BannedNewbie
Apr 22, 2003

HOW ARE YOU? -> YOSHI?
FINE, THANK YOU. -> YOSHI.

mewse posted:

Yeah.. it kinda felt like deus ex machina to me murderbot decides to betray his orders and Cobb decides to fly again at the same time humanity is in mortal danger

When you put it that way it almost sounds like cause and effect...

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

mewse posted:

Almost as if the fate of the entire Defiant race could cause a person to overcome their shortcomings! (and an AI to find a loophole in its own code that allows it to modify its directives, which is the same thing but for robots.

mewse
May 2, 2006

SynthesisAlpha posted:

and an AI to find a loophole in its own code that allows it to modify its directives, which is the same thing but for robots.

Ah yes I've heard of robots doing that

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
wait Sanderson has a Murderbot in addition to the Murderbot who has her own book series by Martha Wells?

I confuse so easily these days

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Sanderson will eventually write all books.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

Finished Skyward. Not Sanderson's best work, very very YA. I wouldn't call it bad, but I care more about the setting and it's mysteries then I do about any of the very very shallow characters, which is bad compared to even Sanderson's early stuff where at least one character would be interesting.

Also That slug is totally an alien spy.

Regarding the spoiler: nah, I think it's the thing you put in the FTL machine.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Walh Hara posted:

Regarding the spoiler: nah, I think it's the thing you put in the FTL machine.

Close - they go the Futurama route and Doomslug shits cytonic hyperdrive fuel

Wheel of Time - small spoilers for Path of Daggers + Crossroads:

I think my problem with this series is that Faile was kidnapped in Book 8. Book 10 and we're Still looking for.

Conversely, Rand gets kidnapped for like, what, 3 chapters in Lord of Chaos?

I'm amazed by Jordan's ability to resolve actually interesting plot arches in a matter of chapters, but drag out boring poo poo like Perrin & Faile. That's my problem with this series. Same thing with the end of Winter's Heart, that was cool as gently caress and then that whole thing is barely discussed at all so far in Crossroads (2 chapters left).

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 31, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sab669 posted:

I think my problem with this series is that Faile was kidnapped in Book 8. Book 10 and we're Still looking for.

I'm amazed by Jordan's ability to resolve actually interesting plot arches in a matter of chapters, but drag out boring poo poo like Perrin & Faile. That's my problem with this series. Same thing with the end of Winter's Heart, that was cool as gently caress and then that whole thing is barely discussed at all so far in Crossroads (2 chapters left).

If you only have 2 chapters left, you've basically come through. Knife of Dreams picks up the pace, longstanding plots either start to wind down or get resolved outright, the series is ending... for the next 4 books... :cheeky:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Sab669 posted:

Yeah, you're almost through to the Good Bits, keep it up!

w/r/t the kidnappings, Rand is basically a demigod who can level cities, and Faile is, uh, good with knives?
Even without breaking free he was racking up a body count against Warders, and the moment the ones holding his shield got distracted he busted through and immediately mind crushed/severed them from doing magic. If it wasn't for the literal army attacking he probably would have laid waste to the entire camp before Gating back to change his clothes and smoke a pipe.

Faile is biding her time and hoping for rescue/trying to figure out how to get away without being tracked, because any one of the people holding her can kill her.

Still, even Jordan recognized that this poo poo was dragging at this point.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

OAquinas posted:

w/r/t the kidnappings, Rand is basically a demigod who can level cities, and Faile is, uh, good with knives?
Even without breaking free he was racking up a body count against Warders, and the moment the ones holding his shield got distracted he busted through and immediately mind crushed/severed them from doing magic. If it wasn't for the literal army attacking he probably would have laid waste to the entire camp before Gating back to change his clothes and smoke a pipe.

Faile is biding her time and hoping for rescue/trying to figure out how to get away without being tracked, because any one of the people holding her can kill her.

Perrin's also (Knife of Dreams spoiler) assembling an entire army to crush the Shaido forever, instead of Rand's rescue being a smash-and-grab in the midst of a confused melee between various Aiel factions, White Tower, Black Tower, and Perrin's forces.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

The only good bit of Faile's kidnapping is finding out what the whole "remnant of a remnant" thing is.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

OAquinas posted:

More on Perrin: I always had the feeling that Jordan simply ran out of plot for Perrin and Faile to do, and ran through what there was too soon. Like, the timeline needs him to have his poo poo sorted for the endgame, but it turned out he'd have it done three books before that - well poo poo, what do you do now? The other guys have so much stuff to do, and Perrin's almost got his sorted.... and that's how you get books and books of looking for her.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tunzie posted:

More on Perrin: I always had the feeling that Jordan simply ran out of plot for Perrin and Faile to do, and ran through what there was too soon. Like, the timeline needs him to have his poo poo sorted for the endgame, but it turned out he'd have it done three books before that - well poo poo, what do you do now? The other guys have so much stuff to do, and Perrin's almost got his sorted.... and that's how you get books and books of looking for her.

poo poo I don't know, let's have him jump around in dream apostrophe world fighting with that guy as a wolf for about another thousand pages

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
In case anyone missed it, Sanderson has ALREADY posted a status update on Stormlight on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/absjnj/stormlight_book_four_update_1/

I really love his work ethic and I'm excited to watch that new progress bar move this year!

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Leng posted:

In case anyone missed it, Sanderson has ALREADY posted a status update on Stormlight on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/absjnj/stormlight_book_four_update_1/

I really love his work ethic and I'm excited to watch that new progress bar move this year!

Reading some of his responses in that post now make me realize that a few years back when I emailed him about one of his book signings asking if he was coming to the NYC or Philadelphia area it was actually Brandon that responded and not his agent/publicist like I originally thought. (Same typing style and tone in the responses.) It's really cool to see an author as popular as he is taking the time to personally respond to fans, even if it is the luck of the draw who gets responses.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mage_Boy posted:

Reading some of his responses in that post now make me realize that a few years back when I emailed him about one of his book signings asking if he was coming to the NYC or Philadelphia area it was actually Brandon that responded and not his agent/publicist like I originally thought. (Same typing style and tone in the responses.) It's really cool to see an author as popular as he is taking the time to personally respond to fans, even if it is the luck of the draw who gets responses.

His editor has his own reddit account, it's not unusual to have both Brandon and Peter answer questions in the Cosmere/Sanderson AMAs. I think every post by mistborn is written by Brandon himself.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

After a printing delay meant the leatherbound Hero of Ages wouldn't get to people in time for Christmas, Brandon sent out a long note personally apologizing to whoever you were going to give the gift to.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Sab669 posted:

Agreed. And that's what makes re-reads of WOT so great. I know which story lines I can skim/skip so that I can get back to the sweet, sweet, crack cocaine of Rand and Mat. For instance on my most current re-read I don't think I've read a full Perrin(or anyone to do with's perrin's storyline) chapter since book 6.

I'm excited to see your reaction upon finishing book 11. I had forgotten how little screen time Tuon and Mat got in WH and COT, it all pays off in KOD.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

You guys are funny; re-read WoT lol.

Sadly (?) I gotta wait a few days for Audible to roll over so I can pick up Book #11 - and hopefully I might be finding myself with a new job where my commute goes from 25 minutes to 10 minutes, so I'll be spending much less time listening.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

You guys are funny; re-read WoT lol.

I'm in the middle of a re-read of WOT that started on a whim in mid-2017. I'm up to midway through book 6, but I also took several breaks to read other things (including a re-read of Oathbringer that I just finished).

On that note, I liked Oathbringer a lot more on the second read. The cognitive realm stuff that really dragged on the first readthrough was less of a drag... first time, I just wanted to get back to finding out what was going on with all of the other characters.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm sure there are plenty who have read the series many times, but I can't fathom these books get SO much better between now and the end that I'll subject myself to reading through it all a second time.

On a related note, wtf the Prologue in Knife of Dreams is 3.5 hours. It's like 10% of the entire book.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I think he started writing the Prologues to be released as little mini-novellas on their own as teasers for the main books.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm halfway through book 7 now. I really enjoy all of Ebou Dar. I dislike anything with Perrin. Also anything with Egwene. I love villain PoVs

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sab669 posted:

I'm sure there are plenty who have read the series many times, but I can't fathom these books get SO much better between now and the end that I'll subject myself to reading through it all a second time.

On a related note, wtf the Prologue in Knife of Dreams is 3.5 hours. It's like 10% of the entire book.

It's the longest prologue in the series. Sanderson writes considerably shorter prologues.

Edit: What's wrong with long prologues by the way? Does it make a big difference how a book is divided into chapters?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm more just impressed that the prologues truly do get longer and longer with every book.

I have a little bit of a tough time with them as an audio book because sometimes it's not immediately obvious that character perspective changes, whereas in the physical book the paragraphs are usually broken up more.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I think the WoT prologues are so long because 1) he has to recap EVERYTHING and 2) for a while there they were releasing the prologues for free on the internet before the books themselves came out to build publicity

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sab669 posted:

I'm more just impressed that the prologues truly do get longer and longer with every book.

I have a little bit of a tough time with them as an audio book because sometimes it's not immediately obvious that character perspective changes, whereas in the physical book the paragraphs are usually broken up more.

The physical books have the advantage that every chapter starts with an icon that tells you whose perspective it’s from

I can’t goddamn fathom trying to handle it as an audiobook

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Data Graham posted:

The physical books have the advantage that every chapter starts with an icon that tells you whose perspective it’s from

I can’t goddamn fathom trying to handle it as an audiobook

Mostly. Or they tell the reader something. Like all the chapters in The Shadows Rising that had Lanfear's chapter icon, but no Lanfear to be seen. Which hinted that somebody there was Lanfear in disguise.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean if you can’t tell who is speaking from the dialogue you might have some issues. From a writing perspective

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

RC Cola posted:

I'm halfway through book 7 now. I really enjoy all of Ebou Dar. I dislike anything with Perrin. Also anything with Egwene. I love villain PoVs
:kiss: Perrin is the worst after book 4. Egwene sucks until 11/12 and then sucks again after.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
Oathbringer is finally getting interesting, 300+ pages in of course. split personality radiant girl is fighting the Lost (TV show) smoke monster in a spooky pit somewhere in tower land. I think she is starting to go crazy as well, she is not sure which one of her personalities is really her

The goddamn "safehand" think is really grating on me. It's like hair tugging and skirt smoothing in the Jorden books. It literally adds nothing but extra words.

I don't need GRRM levels of rape, but is Sanderson some super prude? Sexuality is like totally absent from these books, other then the stupid safehand bs and some Victorian style allusion to the fact that sex might actually like, exist.

2 out of 3 of the main characters are 18 - 22 from what I can tell and they are almost completely asexual. They should be banging like teenagers / rabbits, or they should be wanting to, even if it's off screen or just implied or whatever.

EDIT: Oh, and "Pattern buzzed contently" or whatever bullshit. STOP IT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
Why do I read Reddit??

Misstori1:
I really, really like that Brandon Sanderson leaves the issue of sex ambiguous. (With the exception of necessary plot points) I think it's a smart and inclusive move. The reader can judge for themselves if the characters are having sex or not.

Whatever you personally believe about sex can be applied to the characters. I think that's great.

doncissiero89
Really shows how skilled and entertaining a writer he is. Anyone can enjoy it Bc it lets you fill in the blanks.

No, it does not show how great a writer he is, quite the opposite. He is covering all sorts of complex "adult" topics in these books; PTSD, justice, war, domestic violence, racism, religion, etc... sex is markedly absent.