Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

John Murdoch posted:

This is kind of how I felt about Tomb Raider 2013, where outside of a few minor wrinkles it was just unremarkably Good. I still ended up 100%ing it, but unlike a number of other games that I'll replay for fun, I've never had a particularly strong urge to go back to it.

I played Rise first and then TR 2013 and you're right. TR1 is kind of redundant after a while and feels restricted. Rise is way better. Haven't tried Shadow yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Exact opposite for me - I loved TR1 to death, but couldn't get into Rise at all. but that was mostly because I was invested in the big lesbian romance that they completely tossed in the sequels.

If the story doesn't hook me at least a little bit it's tough for me to care enough to finish even if the game play is fun.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

The Iron Rose posted:

If the story doesn't hook me at least a little bit it's tough for me to care enough to finish even if the game play is fun.

For me it's more that if a game is a big AAA game you kind of assume it's going to be good, unless it's Bethesda, so you spend most of it waiting for it to do something that you aren't expecting, something to make it feel special - and a lot of games don't do that. Older, unknown games don't have that pressure, if they are good it's a pleasant surprise and you have no idea what's coming so it's easier to get hooked. Also often they do weird fun poo poo, like in Tearaway Unfolded riding a paper aeroplane across an ocean, and parting said ocean with the wind mechanic. Very rarely a AAA game has an amazing plot hook that keeps you going, like the history lessons/datalogs in Horizon: Zero Dawn that kept you guessing as to just what happened until it finally drops the bomb.

God of War came close with the Jormungandr scene and the movement to another of the 9 realms, but in a God of War game you kind of expect that sort of spectacle, so it's like "OK, but I've seen it..." And now I'm just fighting a big rock guy with a glowing weak spot and it's like "Boooooring..."

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Iron Rose posted:

Exact opposite for me - I loved TR1 to death, but couldn't get into Rise at all. but that was mostly because I was invested in the big lesbian romance that they completely tossed in the sequels.

It's been years since I played the first game and I don't remember much beyond the rapey threat, the death scenes, and Lara becoming an angry god of war but lesbian romance?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

The Iron Rose posted:

I was there for Lara's slow, inevitable decent into madness over her obsession with her father's work. I don't have the third game yet but it seems like her fall to the dark side is complete.
It was sad playing though her making all the worst decisions and ignoring the advice from people who cared about her. But that was who she had to be to become the Tomb Raider.
And yes, the second game dropped every interesting bit of dangling story from the first one by saying "Lara is an obsessed weirdo who alienates her friends and lives in the past, so everyone but Jonah said 'gently caress all this' and moved on."

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Still playing Hollow Knight and I'm in the Deepnest now.

It would be loving great if the right joycon would work reliably and do things like jump. I don't know what in my apartment is loving with it but there's a clear line of sight from it to the switch and it just goes unresponsive at random times.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Aleph Null posted:

I was there for Lara's slow, inevitable decent into madness over her obsession with her father's work. I don't have the third game yet but it seems like her fall to the dark side is complete.
It was sad playing though her making all the worst decisions and ignoring the advice from people who cared about her. But that was who she had to be to become the Tomb Raider.
And yes, the second game dropped every interesting bit of dangling story from the first one by saying "Lara is an obsessed weirdo who alienates her friends and lives in the past, so everyone but Jonah said 'gently caress all this' and moved on."

I liked when she met the native dude in the prison and he's like "You'll never make it on your own." and she just responds with "You have no idea how long I've been doing this."

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Oh neat and the left one just completely stopped itself and turned back on. Displayed battery life? Full

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Len posted:

Oh neat and the left one just completely stopped itself and turned back on. Displayed battery life? Full

There's definitely something interfering with the signal. I had this happen and I fixed it by moving my switch farther away from my router

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Nostradingus posted:

There's definitely something interfering with the signal. I had this happen and I fixed it by moving my switch farther away from my router

Only Nintendo could make Bluetooth controllers so janky. I hope it's not the router because that means ha in to rearrange the entire drat living room since they're both on the tv stand

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Len posted:

Only Nintendo could make Bluetooth controllers so janky. I hope it's not the router because that means ha in to rearrange the entire drat living room since they're both on the tv stand

If your router has 5Ghz capability, (I think basically any router less than 5+ years old should have, nowadays.) you could try just turning off the 2.4Ghz mode in it, and leaving it in 5Ghz only.

And see if that helps alleviate things, if that's the one causing interference.

Personally I sit maybe 2m away from my router and have never had any issues with controller connectivity. (Though it's in the opposite end of the room from the tv/switch.)

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I think I'm just tired of "open-world" games. There's just so much loving padding. You spend more time rowing a boat in GoW4 than it would take to beat 1, 2, and 3.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Byzantine posted:

I think I'm just tired of "open-world" games. There's just so much loving padding. You spend more time rowing a boat in GoW4 than it would take to beat 1, 2, and 3.

God of War isn't that open world from what I played, it's pretty much a big path. The only options for returning easily to earlier areas were the Ygdrassil doors to get back to the main shop and I couldn't find any that weren't already in that room. You can't go off and do some random poo poo, all you can do is see if you can find a few collectibles. It seemed fairly linear. Even the giant lake areas only had a few points of interest, unless I'm missing a lot.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

God of War isn't that open world from what I played, it's pretty much a big path. The only options for returning easily to earlier areas were the Ygdrassil doors to get back to the main shop and I couldn't find any that weren't already in that room. You can't go off and do some random poo poo, all you can do is see if you can find a few collectibles. It seemed fairly linear. Even the giant lake areas only had a few points of interest, unless I'm missing a lot.

You are. It's not a 'true' open world like, i dunno, Grand Theft Auto or something, but it does open up and sprawl out about a third/half way in.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think I'm just not that far in then. I stopped at the first fight with an Ancient.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Len posted:

It's been years since I played the first game and I don't remember much beyond the rapey threat, the death scenes, and Lara becoming an angry god of war but lesbian romance?

The writers wanted to include it but weren't allowed, so there is just lots and lots of subtext and hints.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Byzantine posted:

breath of the wild is the only one i can think of that does open world right by having barely any plot past "kill these four guys (or don't i guess) and then smack this big worm man to death", so instead of having the long, drawn out scenes where dadman tells sonboy "this is what this thing is" on a boat for like twenty hours you have some fish guy come up and say "ride on me, lets shoot this big elephant machine"

hell, the only time the game drags is for the first half-hour where it has a tutorial island you need to complete, even then it's not that bad

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Len posted:

Dude she carries Sam off into the sunset bridal style after the big dramatic rescue. rescuing her was always narratively way more prominent than the sun queen archaeology stuff and there's oodles of subtext and look as far as video games go that counts as a lesbian romance ok we don't have much out there

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

"I want to raid your tomb, Sam," Lara said lesbianly.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

sebmojo posted:

"I want to raid your tomb, Sam," Lara said lesbianly.

Coco from Crash Bandicoot nods, a smile growing across her furry face. Nearby, Spyro licks his lips in a draconian manner.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

The Iron Rose posted:

Dude she carries Sam off into the sunset bridal style after the big dramatic rescue. rescuing her was always narratively way more prominent than the sun queen archaeology stuff and there's oodles of subtext and look as far as video games go that counts as a lesbian romance ok we don't have much out there

As Lara carries Sam down the hill bridal style a whole rear end rainbow shines down on them out of nowhere. I dunno how the developers thought people would interpret that any other way and then get nervous and write Sam out of the trilogy after that. Maybe it was a directive from on high or something.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

As Lara carries Sam down the hill bridal style a whole rear end rainbow shines down on them out of nowhere. I dunno how the developers thought people would interpret that any other way and then get nervous and write Sam out of the trilogy after that. Maybe it was a directive from on high or something.

NGL, this all sounds really boring and I'm glad they went with putting in three games of work into how Lara became the Tomb Raider. Looking forward to that paying off in Final Tomb Raider Fantasy 9 Origin: The First Expedition: Prologue: Chapter 1

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
Kingdom come deliverence is a great game. However it can't handle dialogue while the NOC is sitting and your standing. Leads to some interesting contortions

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

spit on my clit posted:

hell, the only time the game drags is for the first half-hour where it has a tutorial island you need to complete, even then it's not that bad

Yeah, and even then, the bit in the tutorial where they just have a cold mountain and a river you need to cross to get to it was a thing of beauty. The mindset that made Mario 1-1 is still present in that old beast.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

As far as I can tell, this subtext is all apocryphal and came from one interview with Rihanna Pratchett saying "oh yeah totally that would have been cool, right." The story I've read is that the initial draft intended for Lara to sacrifice Sam, which is still evident in some of the dialogue leading up to the finale, but this was deemed too cruel and the decision was reversed so that she would live. And while I know this is the internet and everybody wants everyone to be gay with each other, I never got the vibe that Lara and Sam were like, involved romantically. They were just close friends. Not everybody has to be gay!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Somfin posted:

Yeah, and even then, the bit in the tutorial where they just have a cold mountain and a river you need to cross to get to it was a thing of beauty. The mindset that made Mario 1-1 is still present in that old beast.

I find it incredible how open even the tutorial section of Breath of the Wild when the previous Zelda was so loving overbearing with it tutorials. I never would have expected Nintendo to respond that hard to criticism.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

exquisite tea posted:

As far as I can tell, this subtext is all apocryphal and came from one interview with Rihanna Pratchett saying "oh yeah totally that would have been cool, right." The story I've read is that the initial draft intended for Lara to sacrifice Sam, which is still evident in some of the dialogue leading up to the finale, but this was deemed too cruel and the decision was reversed so that she would live. And while I know this is the internet and everybody wants everyone to be gay with each other, I never got the vibe that Lara and Sam were like, involved romantically. They were just close friends. Not everybody has to be gay!

The internet likes to ship fictional characters and you choose to yell about gays?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

not everyone has to be straight either

like, maybe part of the reason people grab strongly to any potential gay subtext is because we very rarely get anything more than that

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Brother Entropy posted:

not everyone has to be straight either

like, maybe part of the reason people grab strongly to any potential gay subtext is because we very rarely get anything more than that

Thoughtful representations of same-sex relationships, definitely. Meaningless queer bait, however? That's as old as sweeps week on TV. I totally get that it's fun to fantasize about the sex lives of fictional characters and let he among us who has never written fanfic be the first to condemn, BUT in the particular instance of TR2013 I've never found the alleged lesbian subtext argument to be all that convincing.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

exquisite tea posted:

And while I know this is the internet and everybody wants everyone to be gay with each other, I never got the vibe that Lara and Sam were like, involved romantically. They were just close friends. Not everybody has to be gay!

High fuckin' yikes

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I go into things wanting everyone to have strictly platonic relationships because 90%of the time sexual preferences and romance plots feel shoehorned in and forced to me

But I get why people who aren't straight and cis want to see those things and get non-pandering representation and I don't get why people flip their ship about gay/trans people showing up in media.

As for missing the subtext in Tomb Raider I played that at the point in my life I would get super drunk and play videogames so most of the finer details of that playthrough are gone.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

exquisite tea posted:

Meaningless queer bait

"Your reading of a fictional relationship is invalid because I didn't find it ~*thoughtful enough*~" is completely indefensible and you're going to get pretty heavily shat on if you keep going on this track.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I feel like my argument is being really misrepresented here, or I'm not expressing it clearly, or both. Some of my favorite games in recent years have been Gone Home, Life is Strange and its prequel, Tacoma, and Night in the Woods, all of which run the gamut from "pretty gay" to "hella gay" in their depiction of queer relationships. I think they're great because they display them plainly and unapologetically without the any baity insinuations or fanciful leaps of guesswork as to how the writers secretly wanted more gay but the big bad publishers shut them down. If people wanna ship Lara and Sam then you know go for it, this is the internet and there's a fanfic for everyone. That doesn't bother me in the least. But I just don't think it's supported by the actual text of the game any more than say, Pharah and Mercy are in Overwatch (despite that being popular enough to get its own NSFW subreddit). I watched Xena: Warrior Princess a whole lot growing up and I know what queer bait looks like.

For a more eloquent explanation of what I'm getting at, I feel like this video better explains why not everyone is cool with the presence of queer subtext in media that never intends to truly make it text.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-nWufwm074

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Thoughtful representations of same-sex relationships, definitely. Meaningless queer bait, however? That's as old as sweeps week on TV. I totally get that it's fun to fantasize about the sex lives of fictional characters and let he among us who has never written fanfic be the first to condemn, BUT in the particular instance of TR2013 I've never found the alleged lesbian subtext argument to be all that convincing.

Just so you're aware, you're saying you don't like the fanfic of another person because it's gay and shallow and is not believable to you, (i assume) a straight person.

And that's goony as gently caress so you're in the correct forum.

EDIT: lol you kept posting about this. gg.

Vic has a new favorite as of 14:20 on Dec 30, 2018

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

exquisite tea posted:

despite that being popular enough to get its own NSFW subreddit

This is not a good measure of any thing that exists

E: As a rule it's probably not a good thing to reveal that you know about any ultra-specific NSFW subreddit when discussing any topic

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Vic posted:

Just so you're aware, you're saying you don't like the fanfic of another person because it's gay and shallow and is not believable to you, (i assume) a straight person.

It has nothing to do with me liking the fanfic of another person(?) I just said that I personally do not find the gay subtext in TR2013 to be all that convincing, and even if it was, they completely dropped it from the sequels, making its inclusion shallow. I can see how other people might feel there was something there, but when depictions of queer people never rise above the level of subtext, in our modern world that is cowardly. This is a simple difference of opinion, not me saying to kill all the homos. I feel that my comment about how "not everyone has to be gay" was taken the wrong way, since I too like to imagine everybody is gay with each other, and was just making a joke about the tendencies of the internet. Also, I'm not straight.

Somfin posted:

E: As a rule it's probably not a good thing to reveal that you know about any ultra-specific NSFW subreddit when discussing any topic

Everybody who plays Overwatch knows about Pharmercy.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I just bought Hitman 2 + the Legacy pack since I never got around to the last game, and I don't have any problems with the game itself, just that I'm currently downloading like 10 different things on my PS4 queue now for one game. Also I got slow-rear end poor people Internet, but that's my problem.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Fair warning if you'll dispute my Rein + Zarya headcanon I'll cut you

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

BiggerBoat posted:

I played Rise first and then TR 2013 and you're right. TR1 is kind of redundant after a while and feels restricted. Rise is way better. Haven't tried Shadow yet.

See the funny thing is I hated Rise. 2013 is unremarkable, but as a positive also doesn't overstretch itself. Rise feels bloated and unfocused. I always compare them to Arkham Asylum vs. Arkham City, with the former less refined but pleasantly compact and the latter making strides in certain areas but lacking in everything else. Been real curious to check out Shadow to see where it slots in compared to Arkham Origins and Knight. :v:

Somfin posted:

While BotW didn't suck me in (tbh I kind of fell off the Switch wagon already which doesn't feel great after throwing down all the money for everything), it was a joy to talk about how to get through the cold mountain area with a friend and have them list off a handful of different methods only for none of them to be how I did it. Hell, I didn't even interact with the river at all. (Though as previously mentioned ITT, I also totally missed the Old Man's cabin and everything that entails.)

exquisite tea posted:

Not everybody has to be gay!

Um, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Arkham City was actually fun unlike Rise. I've beaten three it times and yet I never touched the DLC, the challenge-rooms, or New Game+. Rise is such a dull game that pushes no ground on any front. The story is a po-faced retread of the last game and the gameplay is bogged down with extraneous poo poo. There's nothing dynamic or cohesive about the gameplay it just feels like a thousand separate contextual-actions.