Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

BattyKiara posted:

New peeve, rude co-workers. I came into work today in a new dress. One of the co-workers says "I love your dress. too bad you don't have the body for it. Would look great on me!"

As if I wasn't already depressed and spending most of my off work time crying at the moment.

I read this, saw it quoted, and read it again, because it just seems impossible for someone to be that incredibly assholish. I'm :psyduck:ing over here, because, seriously, what the hell?

In peeve related news, the store I work at is open on Christmas. That's not a big deal; I only did a three hour shift today. The thing that bugs me is people being assholes because they forgot a gift for someone, or were incapable of checking the fridge and realizing they needed something else and were assholes about it. It's not my fault you're forgetful/stupid, don't get lovely with me. And especially don't bitch about your family. I really don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Peeve: The forums are doing the "last post is invisible until someone else posts" thing again.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Haifisch posted:

Peeve: The forums are doing the "last post is invisible until someone else posts" thing again.

I thought I was going crazy clicking on the last read thing and seeing a post I've already read. Get your poo poo together, forums.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One thing that's annoyed me a little lately is how the "Get album artwork" function on iTunes is really unreliable. I ripped a cd onto iTunes and I know it's an album you can get in the iTunes store, but it won't get the album artwork and I have to do it manually.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The should pay people to sort and clean recycling.

Draconian policies on what recycling will be taken just result in more littering.

Like, for every bin left full on the curb with a “you did this wrong try again!”, one will be resorted/cleaned for every five that end up spread over the street. And say, metal and plastic are in the same bin we all know it’s getting sorted by professionals anyway.

This. I believe more people (myself included) would recycle if it was done this way.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

FluxFaun posted:

see also: customers that respond to "would you like to donate a dollar to (charity)?" with "well why don't they donate a dollar to me?" like, chill, edgelord, you can just say "not today, thanks."

I never give the clerks any crap about it because they're only doing what they're told, but this pisses me off to no end. Companies bragging about how much they donate to charity when they're asking their customers to do it for them.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

MightyJoe36 posted:

I never give the clerks any crap about it because they're only doing what they're told, but this pisses me off to no end. Companies bragging about how much they donate to charity when they're asking their customers to do it for them.

I once said, in a totally inappropriate rude tone: "No I'm sorry, I will not help your corporate overlords brag about their charitable donations."

I wanna go apologize to that poor cashier every goddamn day.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

fizzymercy posted:

There is no way to make anyone happy so keep every building at 70f and hand out coats and shorts as appropriate.

e: If you complain about this system you will be mulched to make more shorts and coats.

I'd be up for this.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

My sister-in-law gets all weird and wants to leave super early at every family function. We had a Christmas get-together with my father-in-law last night, and she rounded up her boyfriend and kid before either of them even wanted to go, immediately after the presents were done being opened. She kept talking about how much she had to work but it's like yo, this is literally once a year could you maybe last another hour? Especially so it doesn't look like you're just coming to pillage gifts and take flight?

I dunno, I'm not a lingerer but there's a definite minimum time to be at an event and she does not meet that ever. It was a nice party too, and it really took the fun out of it to lose three people, one being a fun-having child, during an already small Christmas party.

I have a couple of friends like this. They are the "fashionably late" people who are always "so busy" and will show up at a party/gathering 30-60 minutes late and then stay for like 10 minutes and leave. Yeah, we're all impressed.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

Your mouth should stay closed during the entire chewing and swallowing process with the exception of the brief instant where you put your food in your mouth.

:agreed:

edit: I feel like we should replace some of the needless courses we have in our schools with some courses on basic manners and etiquette. I think a lot of the problems in our society could be solved by just teaching people not to act like total inconsiderate assholes.

MightyJoe36 has a new favorite as of 19:11 on Dec 26, 2018

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Well the jerk store called!

Oh yeah? I had sex with your wife.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Every year there is a kerfuffle about Too Much Turkey. My nanny needs a turkey for 10-11 but orders one for 20. My mum gets a turkey she doesn't need at all because we do Christmas with my Nanny! Then this year my dad ordered (accidentally to be fair) a turkey for 15 when we are 3. I get a lot of freezer-food out of this dumbshittery so I'm not totally mad about it but it doesn't have to be this way.

This is actually just the same food-waste peeve I post every other post.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

teenytinymouse posted:

Every year there is a kerfuffle about Too Much Turkey. My nanny needs a turkey for 10-11 but orders one for 20. My mum gets a turkey she doesn't need at all because we do Christmas with my Nanny! Then this year my dad ordered (accidentally to be fair) a turkey for 15 when we are 3. I get a lot of freezer-food out of this dumbshittery so I'm not totally mad about it but it doesn't have to be this way.

This is actually just the same food-waste peeve I post every other post.

When I went turkey shopping for Thanksgiving, the only available options were "barely enough for the two of us" and "a turkey approximately the size of a small building".

So we froze a lot of turkey.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

docbeard posted:

When I went turkey shopping for Thanksgiving, the only available options were "barely enough for the two of us" and "a turkey approximately the size of a small building".

I understand that tbh. But my nanny pre-orders her turkey and one for mum and another one for my aunt from a local butcher in like October so she knows what she's doing.

Then she cremates the expensive turkey so we get premium, award winning, free-range meat-crumbles. Turkey peeve #2.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Thanks everyone. I am now trying to imagine my rude co-worker covered in sores, and her own dress split open after she had an unfortunate accident falling down the stairs after wearing too high heels while drunk. Yes, I can be that petty. She is a classic case of "office bitch", who never lost the secondary school girl attitude.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

MightyJoe36 posted:

the worst part is I work for a nonprofit organization, so I get to side eye those people even harder.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

docbeard posted:

Same. So we sent both my sons home with lots of leftover turkey.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

MightyJoe36 posted:

A company my brother used to work at gave out christmas presents to their employees in the form of donations to charities, that's not too bad.
The bad part is that they obviously just did it so that the CEO could mug infront of some news cameras every year about WOW WE DONATED SO MUCH!!! Here have a giant novelty check, and make sure to take the pictures from my best side!

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
This thing I've been seeing in posts a lot lately is driving me up the wall. Someone will be telling a story like, "I did Thing A and my buddy did Thing B, am I in the wrong here?" Saying "in the wrong" instead of just saying "am I wrong". I've only ever seen "in the right" or "in the wrong" never in any other context and never in person, just on the internet.

Why?? It's unnecessary to add those extra words and it sounds so wrong.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

SubNat posted:

A company my brother used to work at gave out christmas presents to their employees in the form of donations to charities, that's not too bad.
The bad part is that they obviously just did it so that the CEO could mug infront of some news cameras every year about WOW WE DONATED SO MUCH!!! Here have a giant novelty check, and make sure to take the pictures from my best side!

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Brawnfire posted:

My sister-in-law gets all weird and wants to leave super early at every family function. We had a Christmas get-together with my father-in-law last night, and she rounded up her boyfriend and kid before either of them even wanted to go, immediately after the presents were done being opened. She kept talking about how much she had to work but it's like yo, this is literally once a year could you maybe last another hour? Especially so it doesn't look like you're just coming to pillage gifts and take flight?

I dunno, I'm not a lingerer but there's a definite minimum time to be at an event and she does not meet that ever. It was a nice party too, and it really took the fun out of it to lose three people, one being a fun-having child, during an already small Christmas party.

I'm kind of the same way, honestly. Family stuff stresses me out, and leaving any sort of family function takes *ages* - god forbid you don't say a personal goodbye to every single person there!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SubNat posted:

If you're giving a charitable donation as a gift you're supposed to do it in the recipient's name. You can't then go ahead and take credit for it. :stare:

Solid Cake posted:

This thing I've been seeing in posts a lot lately is driving me up the wall. Someone will be telling a story like, "I did Thing A and my buddy did Thing B, am I in the wrong here?" Saying "in the wrong" instead of just saying "am I wrong". I've only ever seen "in the right" or "in the wrong" never in any other context and never in person, just on the internet.

Why?? It's unnecessary to add those extra words and it sounds so wrong.
They mean different things. "Am I wrong?" means "am I incorrect?". "Am I in the wrong" means "did I behave badly?" You can be right and in the wrong at the same time (or vice-versa).

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Despite what youtube may think, I don’t want to follow up any and all videos with “Everything Wrong With Solo: A Star Wars Story”

In fact I don’t think I’ll ever want to see that.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Looks like you watched some online lectures on physics and philosophy, did you know about this dude Jordan Peterson??? How about some TED talks??

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Despite what youtube may think, I don’t want to follow up any and all videos with “Everything Wrong With Solo: A Star Wars Story”

In fact I don’t think I’ll ever want to see that.

I don't need it because the answer is "firing Lord and Miller". You don't need a whole video for that.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

Looks like you watched some online lectures on physics and philosophy, did you know about this dude Jordan Peterson??? How about some TED talks??

:) oh hey, you enjoy makeup videos, right? have sixteen billion tutorials from the same racist, transphobic youtuber!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One thing that annoys me is when I listen to a song by a band with two guitar players and I can't work out which one is playing a solo.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Good god I hate when some company makes content I want but puts it on ~Our Own Streaming Service or whatever. gently caress that.

Put it on netflix/hulu/spotify/steam or just let me toss you some bucks and get the drat thing downloaded to my computer. I'm happy to pay for good stuff but I am not making an account or paying a subscription or whatever the goddam gently caress for one piece of media.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

When people see you're working and already helping one person with a task but then butt in to try to make you do their task instead. Wait your turn, goddamnit, do I need to send you back to kindergarten?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

"It's better than nothing!'

A phrase that only gets pulled out when someone is trying to sell you on something that is way, way the gently caress worse than nothing.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Peeve: Half of my family members the last week have been cornering me with 'well, if you happened to have a boyfriend you're very welcome to bring him along to visit sometime.' talks.
No, I just genuinely don't enjoy spending time with you all, especially not when I'm trapped in the same house as you all for a week, with 0 way to get any peace and quiet for more than a few minutes at a time, and I'll just get constantly interrupted whenever I try to do anything.

And because I don't enjoy spending time with you, of course I'm just going to turn down most of your invites, because the occasional visit and stuff is ok, but there's just been too loving much of it lately.
(Especially since there have been more meetups and visits the last year than the prior 3 years, so I'm getting kind of loving exhausted of you all.)

The fact that I gently caress dudes is secondary and wholly irrelevant. But kudos for thinking that there's just this magical reason that I don't want to spend time with all of you.
After all it's impossible that I'm not interested because I don't like you as people, nor how every single thing I do or like that falls outside of your interests is belittled and made fun of.

But sure, it has to be the gay thing. :jerkbag:

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

SubNat posted:

Peeve: Half of my family members the last week have been cornering me with 'well, if you happened to have a boyfriend you're very welcome to bring him along to visit sometime.' talks.
No, I just genuinely don't enjoy spending time with you all, especially not when I'm trapped in the same house as you all for a week, with 0 way to get any peace and quiet for more than a few minutes at a time, and I'll just get constantly interrupted whenever I try to do anything.

And because I don't enjoy spending time with you, of course I'm just going to turn down most of your invites, because the occasional visit and stuff is ok, but there's just been too loving much of it lately.
(Especially since there have been more meetups and visits the last year than the prior 3 years, so I'm getting kind of loving exhausted of you all.)

The fact that I gently caress dudes is secondary and wholly irrelevant. But kudos for thinking that there's just this magical reason that I don't want to spend time with all of you.
After all it's impossible that I'm not interested because I don't like you as people, nor how every single thing I do or like that falls outside of your interests is belittled and made fun of.

But sure, it has to be the gay thing. :jerkbag:

This but add being transphobic assholes to the whole mix. Y'all never use the right name or pronouns for me, constantly tell me I'm "confused" and "making a mistake" and then wonder why I never call or visit. :thunk:

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

Pet peeve: parents who smoke around their kids. It's not uncommon here to see someone walking down the street holding a toddler in one hand and a burning cigarette in the other. Is it so loving hard to get your fix before picking up your kid from school/daycare, or wait until you're home to smoke on the balcony or somewhere else away from your small, growing child? This isn't the 1950s, you know what that poo poo does.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Norrskensren posted:

Pet peeve: parents who smoke around their kids. It's not uncommon here to see someone walking down the street holding a toddler in one hand and a burning cigarette in the other. Is it so loving hard to get your fix before picking up your kid from school/daycare, or wait until you're home to smoke on the balcony or somewhere else away from your small, growing child? This isn't the 1950s, you know what that poo poo does.

:V tbh they just don't care- my lungs are irreparably hosed because my mom can't stop smoking- and smoked with/around me when I was really little, and never stopped. Now she needs spine surgery but she has to stop smoking- or slow down, at the very least- so she can have the surgery. Still won't stop.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

If you pronounce the word "deal" as "dill", gently caress you.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
The Dill Pickle Deal isn't ideal and I just don't wanna deal with it.

I pronounced every word in that sentence differently.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Does it bother anyone else that Christmas gets dropped as a concept the minute it's no longer profitable to Walmart? Right around New Years my HOA starts complaining that my decorations are still up. Christmas goes until the 5th you consumerist whores! You've had your poo poo up since before Thanksgiving, Brenda, and I didn't complain then! It's not my fault that corporate America starts it on the first of November and ends it at the stroke of midnight on the 25th. We're missing the best part of the holiday, the part where you've already done the decorating and shopping and talking to your family and now you get to stay inside, eat all the food you made or were otherwise gifted, and chill the gently caress out! Nope! Back to work wage slave! gently caress you!

The whole holiday is a loving sham designed to guilt you into giving money you don't have to companies that don't give a flying gently caress about Christmas.

I know none of this is new, and is in fact the subject of countless Christmas movies, but still. I hate it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oliver Cromwell had the right idea about Christmas.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

If you pronounce the word "deal" as "dill", gently caress you.

...with a dealdo? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Cities that market themselves as “weird” or “quirky” or whatever and especially the goddam yuppies that buy in

Like New York or Montréal or even, ugh, Toronto are plenty quirky but they don’t have to rub it in your face and act all special. Lookin at you Austin and Portland.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 20:24 on Dec 30, 2018