Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Ron Jeremy posted:

Private high schools have scholarships too.

Also, gently caress you.

Grats on your dad being in a position to cover up some crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Bar Crow posted:

Grats on your dad being in a position to have sex with you.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
Why do loving lovely rich/neoliberal goons keep coming in here to post?

What do they hope to ACHIEVE here?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Maybe ur dad got a callous one time when he was putting together some slide for the VP of ops. Goondolences.

Lol my dad bounced on us when I was four and ran off to Alaska then refused to file for the tax poo poo so he could claim he had zero income to the child support judge.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Ron Jeremy posted:

Lol my dad bounced on us when I was four and ran off to Alaska then refused to file for the tax poo poo so he could claim he had zero income to the child support judge.

Real rear end dude of the week

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
In retrospect, good call on his part. He wouldn't even WANT to be gay with you

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ron Jeremy posted:

I mean sincere congratulations on working hard enough to be judged worthy of bearing the signifiers of the ruling class, but surely a combination of your smarty pants good-at-school brain and your lived experiences of being an apparently low income family youth granted access to territory above your socioeconomic station must in combination give you the knowledge and clarity of thought needed to recognize that you are the exception and not the rule, no? or did you get ideology poisoned climbing your way up that ladder?

Mr. Lobe fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 30, 2018

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

more importantly, can you not see how Megan McCardle of all people is not the product of a working class upbringing?

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

My parents were upper middle class and now so am I, only due to my hard work and not cause of the internships and jobs offered to me, the free college, and all sorts of other nonsense not worth bringing up. AMA.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

power botton posted:

Real rear end dude of the week

Lmao

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Mr. Lobe posted:

I mean sincere congratulations on working hard enough to be judged worthy of bearing the signifiers of the ruling class, but surely a combination of your smarty pants good-at-school brain and your lived experiences of being an apparently low income family youth granted access to territory above your socioeconomic station must in combination give you the knowledge and clarity of thought needed to recognize that you are the exception and not the rule, no? or did you get ideology poisoned climbing your way up that ladder?

My politics are strongly informed by my experiences with being on the wrong side of the class divide. I know a bunch of brett kavanaughs and at least one son of a junta general. But they were hardly universal and there were many more actual decent human beings. So many more that I think we should put the caricature to bed. Yes the upper middle class is way over represented, but the actual upper class is less present than in George Bush or Donald trumps day.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ah so it's the latter then

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ron Jeremy posted:

But they were hardly universal and there were many more actual decent human beings. So many more that I think we should put the caricature to bed.

Wrong and you're brain wormed to think so.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Ron Jeremy posted:

But they were hardly universal and there were many more actual decent human beings. So many more that I think we should put the caricature to bed.

To quote a great man: nooooooooo, gently caress no, dude.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ron Jeremy posted:

My politics are strongly informed by my experiences with being on the wrong side of the class divide. I know a bunch of brett kavanaughs and at least one son of a junta general. But they were hardly universal and there were many more actual decent human beings. So many more that I think we should put the caricature to bed. Yes the upper middle class is way over represented, but the actual upper class is less present than in George Bush or Donald trumps day.

listen I'm sure that you made some nice friends who probably feel terribly bad about all that poverty and war going on and such, and heck, I bet a plurality of them even voted for Bernie. but do you really believe that these people who have either sacrificed so much and/or have been celebrated from birth for their innate gifts (I assume you fit into one or both of these categories) or those who were born into lives of impregnable material comfort are really willing to dismantle the institutions of the ruling class into which they are now so snugly embedded?

because if I was a betting man, I would bet that these people are probably not willing to do what it takes to destroy the unimagineably monstrous death machine that is global capitalism. I doubt they are willing to recognize its scope, its historical trajectory, and the degree of their complicity. not because they are "bad people" in the sense that they want to hurt other people, but because that is how humans on top rationalize their relationship to the means of production. their ultimate social and political impacts, broadly speaking, will be to reinforce and legitimize the current arrangement of society.

but hey, maybe I'm wrong. maybe you're surrounded by class traitors and 5th columnists infiltrating the rotten system from beneath with the intent to destroy it. sounds awfully romantic if true.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Haha matt got mad on this one too. Oh matt

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
lmao Matt throwing a tantrum about game mechanics

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gonna introduce Matt to the injustice of caster supremacy.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Savidudeosoo posted:

Look, I sympathize with y’all, but I just want to enjoy my station and privilege without asking any questions, doing any self-analysis, or generally feeling bad about it at all, is that so much to ask?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Crotch posted:

Gonna introduce Matt to the injustice of caster supremacy.

using caster/fighter disparity to explain the class inequity of the real world is praxis

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
You see the Fighter, who spends most of the time in the front of the group soaking hits and facing his foes directly, actually winds up penalized and forced to rely on DM kindness with magic weapons constantly compared to the Wizard who since level 1 has access to tools such as Mage Armor and Enfeebling Ray yet still is rewarded in the highest levels with access to spells that can disable a dragon single-handedly. Thank you for coming to my TED Talk, the doors are locked from the outside.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I rolled a thief who effortlessly defeats your pitiful doors.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I rolled a thief who effortlessly defeats your pitiful doors.

the Thief is the petit -bourgeois, not as overtly hamstrung as a Fighter but their signature abilities are often rendered unusable by entire enemy types and are reduced to nothing but skill slaves that allow the Wizard to focus on becoming more powerful as the Thief handles Dungeoneering rolls

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

Savidudeosoo posted:

An alternative to the standard sad sack communism-yesterday perspective? Why would you want a discussion with people 100% aligned with your worldview? Don't we make fun of freep for enforcing that?

e: to RJ's point, the vast majority of affluent people know they were privileged and overly fortunate to be in the place they are if you press them on it. A lot of them even vote "left" given our two party system -- see manhattan, SF, seattle, etc. Doesn't seem very healthy to predetermine 95% of your fellow man to be loathsome people (outside of a comedy podcast) because they don't completely align with your politics

KingNastidon fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 30, 2018

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
No, we make fun of them because they're wrong.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
hell yeah

https://twitter.com/anarchotankie/status/1079084931886841857

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
I'm the Swedish exchange student whose old DM approved Tome of Battle for class equality

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Analytic Engine posted:

I'm the Swedish exchange student whose old DM approved Tome of Battle for class equality

Iron Heart Surge every day.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Analytic Engine posted:

Is this in the right thread? I’m only 1/3 through the latest tabletop game theory, but I don’t know how you make shadow sun ninja balanced in Call of Cthulhu.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Chakan posted:

Is this in the right thread? I’m only 1/3 through the latest tabletop game theory, but I don’t know how you make shadow sun ninja balanced in Call of Cthulhu.

now I want to see Matt yelling about why he needs splatbooks

but no I was referring to the Warriors vs Spellcasters class analogy, which is really good and definitely works with the Wizard as an overpowered/overpaid Neoliberal wonk

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/865730160020029440

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Call of Cthulhu is a fine game, totally serviceable, but it was designed in 1980 and hasn't changed a whole lot. You can tell Virgil is playing fast and loose with the rules, which is good.

KingNastidon posted:

Doesn't seem very healthy to predetermine 95% of your fellow man to be loathsome people (outside of a comedy podcast) because they don't completely align with your politics
95% of people don't really have anyone to represent their point of view in the incestuous stew of professional punditry and think tanks.

Savidudeosoo posted:

I'm stumped, but I don't know what they hope to accomplish on Twitter either.

TheBigAristotle posted:

I was explaining The Federalist to a friend and mentioned McArdle, which lead to a search of her name and Grenfell, then this extremely cursed tweet was in one article
The Federalist is the one where most of the staff writers are rich failsons, and The Economist is the one that has a remarkable number of rich faildaughters, right?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Virgil is a good GM

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Games like that are mostly avenues for mild roleplaying with some sort of gaming element put into it, so there's honestly no need to have major thought put into how you're supposed to play it, specially with the Dry Boys (And Dry Gal).

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

post the one where they lose it when the old newsman smashes his face on the corner of the desk and dies

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Delta Green is bad tho.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Martian Manfucker posted:

post the one where they lose it when the old newsman smashes his face on the corner of the desk and dies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WqYsqR1myY

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
How dare you ball torture me with The Newsroom without giving me the balm of Chapo.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

rapeface posted:

How dare you ball torture me with The Newsroom without giving me the balm of Chapo.

You're a fuckin poster, rapeface, I ever tell you otherwise you PUNCH me in the face!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Delta Green is bad tho.

Actually it owns.