Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I like them against anything not undead, but I've found them particularly useful against orcs and goblins.

Of course, if with "endgame" you mean "Day 500+ with godly stats on all brothers", then yeah, you might as well go full 2-hander crew.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I thought thieves occasionally stole your stuff? I didn't take them due to this

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

dogstile posted:

I thought thieves occasionally stole your stuff? I didn't take them due to this

I've never had one do so to me, and in fact they repeatedly get events where they can steal other stuff like treasure maps or dead peoples' hands.

I love my Thieves.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I still quite like archers in the lategame, for counter-shooting enemy archers (goblins, marksmen, arbalesters, etc.), for shooting necromancers, for killing lightly-armoured orcs, for overwhelming tough enemies... there's a ton of uses for them against basically anyone except ancient dead. I don't think it's worth having more than three in your company unless you're going for a gimmick super-ranged-heavy company though.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Today's a good day.

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016
I get that archers can be quite effective against certain opponents, e.g. noble war just let the other 15 guys take hits and let your 6 archers ping away. But are they ever, strictly, better than a good two hander veteran? Because I have a lot of quite good ones and training a new archer bro for 11 levels when I could just hit stuff with a big hammer might not pay off the opportunity cost of lost experience on a melee bro.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gammymajams posted:

I get that archers can be quite effective against certain opponents, e.g. noble war just let the other 15 guys take hits and let your 6 archers ping away. But are they ever, strictly, better than a good two hander veteran? Because I have a lot of quite good ones and training a new archer bro for 11 levels when I could just hit stuff with a big hammer might not pay off the opportunity cost of lost experience on a melee bro.

Yeah, well, a good two hander bro can't snipe. I think they're excellent for the Noble war crisis and ok for orcs, less useful for undead.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Remember that bow users can stack overwhelm on targets and will usually be doing that before the target gets a chance to hit back too.

Sure you can probably get away with 12 2h bro's, but they can't all hit a target like bows can.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
A two-hander bro might be the best in a vacuum but having a second line of archers and a polearm or two to support them is always very useful. Since they don't need to be touching an enemy to hurt them, you can take better advantage of terrain and focus down especially dangerous or troublesome enemies.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

That archer might be the one that snipes the Hexe before she charms your bros or starts a morale cascade in goblins or orcs before they get to your line so that a single two handed hit sends them all running. The utility of having something that can reach out and kill (or with the spiked impaler reach out and knock back) from several squares away saves you a lot of time, effort and repositioning. I always find having two or three 80+ archers means not having to worry about flankers, enemy casters or archers. It would be insane to do the goblin City for instance without them.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Gammymajams posted:

Say that to a cave full of Orc Bezerkers.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Gammymajams posted:

I have never played entirely without archers so I can't say how good it is. I don't know why I would ever want to do that either, though.

Orcs and noble troops have been mentioned as enemies archers are good against and later on they are the toughest enemies you can fight along with enemy mercenaries.
You can play against Orcs without archers, and when most of them are Warriors that can be a good decision. But when you're up against a horde of Young and Berserkers archers can take care of the ones with problematic weapons.
Really late in the game the noble war is the hardest crisis and will send you up against 20+ strong companies on your own.

Later on in the game you also face a few other things that would be harder and extremely annoying to fight without good archers like multiple Goblin Shamans, multiple Necromancers, multiple Hexen with charmed monsters and Master Archers, the apex predators among men with crossbows.
All of which you could encounter in the forest or swamp for added fun.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Currently playing in orchell.

Definitely not an empty promise.

Drath
Jan 4, 2018

Wiki table for background stats is now updated. Not a lot of actual changes. Mostly improvements in Ranged Skill to a few Backgrounds (Disowned Noble, Shepherd, Juggler) which could make them passable archers, given some talent stars. Beast Slayer also has stats which make it suitable for hybrid builds.

junidog posted:

Is it possible to scrape recruit background & stats out of whatever the hex editing tool people were using? That would be a fast way to get accurate data, just gen a new map and scrape, rinse repeat.

I would expect that stat and trait data has to be kept in saved files for hired men but I'm not sure whether unhired men in towns also have their data kept in the same way. It's possible the game just keeps a seed(s) that it runs to generate men for hire. Either way I'd rather not mess with external applications. If you're interested in exploring this, do let us know the results.

Wizard Styles posted:

Today's a good day.

Worth showing to those who keep saying that the game and its RNG is always conspiring against them :)

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Archers are great for geists

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone else feel the "Warehouse burned down" modifier is way too common?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
as someone (who is trash) who likes the original battle bros a lot, the expansion is a must buy right?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

as someone (who is trash) who likes the original battle bros a lot, the expansion is a must buy right?

Probably yeah. it still needs a little more patching but it's got enough met to be worth diving in.

Biggest hurdle for me right now is there aren't enough really *good* seeds discovered yet.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Starting a new run with the changed Nimble and my god my last seed had zero forest towns. What a difference to play on a map with 3-4.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Yeah, it makes some major improvements and the things that seem to annoy people are almost entirely avoidable.

It does make the game a bit harder though, simply by way of introducing more early-midgame encounters and missions that don't involve bandit raiders and therefore diluting a crucial source of usable loot.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Reign Of Pain posted:

Archers are great for geists

But they don't get over 5% chance to hit them

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Wafflecopper posted:

But they don't get over 5% chance to hit them

I'm getting really drat lucky then because I'm hitting them at least 1/2 the time as long as its an unobstructed shot

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

I wouldn't say it's a must buy but if you're going to pick up the game again anyway it's definitely worth getting.

The new weapons are cool but I think they're generally overbalanced. The new armors are nice. Armor upgrades are an interesting mechanic but the fun upgrades are attached to a crafting system, so the question here is if you want crafting in Battle Brothers.

The new enemies add variety but they are not that interesting especially because they often just appear in homogenous groups. Alps, Hexen and Unholds are entirely gimmicky when they appear without other enemy types mixed in. The spiders are fun, though.

Having more contract types, a bigger map and some more special locations are all good things especially if you're planning to play beyond the first crisis.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wizard Styles posted:

I wouldn't say it's a must buy but if you're going to pick up the game again anyway it's definitely worth getting.

The new weapons are cool but I think they're generally overbalanced. The new armors are nice. Armor upgrades are an interesting mechanic but the fun upgrades are attached to a crafting system, so the question here is if you want crafting in Battle Brothers.

The new enemies add variety but they are not that interesting especially because they often just appear in homogenous groups. Alps, Hexen and Unholds are entirely gimmicky when they appear without other enemy types mixed in. The spiders are fun, though.

Having more contract types, a bigger map and some more special locations are all good things especially if you're planning to play beyond the first crisis.

My *hope* is that they'll patch things such that unholds, hexen, and alps start appearing a lot less pre-crisis and a lot more post-crisis.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My *hope* is that they'll patch things such that unholds, hexen, and alps start appearing a lot less pre-crisis and a lot more post-crisis.
I'm mostly fine with them although some groups should be revised. I don't know what you're supposed to do against 8 Unholds for example, a decently leveled company can beat them for sure but at the nearly certain cost of multiple injuries and several lost dog lives.
But ultimately the new enemies are all just diversions/gimmicks. Which is fine but doesn't make them something I feel everyone must have in their game or they're not getting The True Battle Brothers Experience.

Oh, and Alps are just terrible. :v:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Reign Of Pain posted:

I'm getting really drat lucky then because I'm hitting them at least 1/2 the time as long as its an unobstructed shot

Yeah you are getting really lucky. If you didn't know you can see your hit chance when you mouseover enemies after selecting an attack. Geists get some bonus where you never have better than 5% to hit them with ranged attacks, even with high RA, multiple stacks of fast adaptation, and an unobstructed shot at short range

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Luring a group of Unholds into a group of Ancient Dead can lead to some hilarity.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah you are getting really lucky. If you didn't know you can see your hit chance when you mouseover enemies after selecting an attack. Geists get some bonus where you never have better than 5% to hit them with ranged attacks, even with high RA, multiple stacks of fast adaptation, and an unobstructed shot at short range

5% means that about 1 in every 20 shots will hit and you only need to hit the geist once to kill it. If you have 2 or 3 archers shooting twice per turn you're going to kill some geists. It's not quite hitting them half the time but it's a legit tactic especially with how standoffish fights involving geists tend to be.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Also if the geists are in the middle of a group of zombies, you usually hit those instead if you miss, so it's not like your shots are wasted.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
gonna keep banging on my "give undead injuries" drum if only because I want to see some extremely creative injuries for things like geists

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Considering geists always die in one hit, that would be kinda hard to pull off. And I wouldn't want to fight against geists that don't die in one hit.

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Sometimes geists don't die in one hit if you hit them while you're unarmed. :v:

germlin
May 31, 2011
Fun Shoe

Virulence posted:

Sometimes geists don't die in one hit if you hit them while you're unarmed. :v:

Well dont´t bring fist to a ghostfight. But anyway nimble shieldtanks, I treat them expendaple and they keep reaching veteran levels, bleeders excluded. These guys seem a lot more necessary with addition of unhold and lindwurm missions and surprisingly, they´re no slouches against gobbos. New nimble works breddy gud.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Now that's a fun toy.

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord
You jest, but that is how white walkers were created.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Considering it's only humans it seems like it has somewhat limited use, considering where you get it from.

Maybe useful for the noble war.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
When a location gets changed into a city quest does it not change the loot you get from it? I discovered a location that was way too hard to beat and awhile later a 2 star city quest told me to go clear out the goblins there for like 1500 gold....when I went there it only had goblins and a few wolfriders and not the poo poo that was there before...after I won I got 2 pieces of magic armor - 415 durability and a 300 durability helm as well

Also, how the hell do you beat that obsidian tower...I went in there and there were 47 enemies

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Reign Of Pain posted:

When a location gets changed into a city quest does it not change the loot you get from it? I discovered a location that was way too hard to beat and awhile later a 2 star city quest told me to go clear out the goblins there for like 1500 gold....when I went there it only had goblins and a few wolfriders and not the poo poo that was there before...after I won I got 2 pieces of magic armor - 415 durability and a 300 durability helm as well

Also, how the hell do you beat that obsidian tower...I went in there and there were 47 enemies

I think that the Obsidian Tower is one of the new ultra late game locations so you're supposed to have a min maxed group of veterans and probably half of them die anyway.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Wizard Styles posted:

Yea I put 80 hours into the base game and liked the early game the most, I do like crafting so I'm in!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Yeah, it makes some major improvements and the things that seem to annoy people are almost entirely avoidable.

It does make the game a bit harder though, simply by way of introducing more early-midgame encounters and missions that don't involve bandit raiders and therefore diluting a crucial source of usable loot.

It seems a lot harder and less forgiving now

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Probably yeah. it still needs a little more patching but it's got enough met to be worth diving in.

Biggest hurdle for me right now is there aren't enough really *good* seeds discovered yet.

is your guide updated? I needed it to get anywhere the last time and I need it again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Broken Cog posted:

Considering it's only humans it seems like it has somewhat limited use, considering where you get it from.

Maybe useful for the noble war.

It is basically only good for that and for creating fodder in bandit fights.

Sadly despite the artwork depicting zombie Orcs they don't exist in game :(