Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Wages of SiN was better than the base game in basically every way - cooler weapons, more interesting levels, funnier writing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

Flannelette posted:

No it wasn't :catbert:

It expanded on the neat branching and alternate level concept and had lots of interactive bits.

i legitimately don't remember any branching in wages of sin, just coma-inducingsuper compelling level design like this.

Uncle Kitchener posted:

That's way too harsh for a cheap expansion pack that really didn't ramp up the difficulty or kill your dog.

these are weird metrics by which to measure a bad, boring expansion pack charging a regular price which was inferior to the original game in every way. its unbelievable to me this studio went on to release medal of honor: allied assault.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Yeah it's amazing that a group that could make something as colorful, creative and fun as Wages would then go on to make such a terrible, grey WW2 game with awful movement, disorganized level design and the worst cover system ever implemented in a first person shooter

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Playing sIn or SiN or however you spell it for the first time because of you all and oh my god what is this menu what are these keybindings what hell tutorial is this and why does saving and loading only bring me back to the start of the level

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Barudak posted:

Playing sIn or SiN or however you spell it for the first time because of you all and oh my god what is this menu what are these keybindings what hell tutorial is this and why does saving and loading only bring me back to the start of the level

I don't remember there being odd keybindings by default, saving and loading really shouldn't only bring you to the start of the level. Maybe you were using one of the patches to make it run better and you didn't apply it to the right version (retail patches VS steam patches VS GOG patches)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Asking in here as its a retro FPS game. I tried searching for it, but for the life of me can't get any articles about it.
There was a report on a retro FPS made by a young kid (15-17?) a few weeks/months ago, its not Dusk, but instead it had some amazing 2D sprite/lighting effects.
It wasn't a mod.
Anyone know what it is?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Project Warlock

Barudak
May 7, 2007

fishmech posted:

I don't remember there being odd keybindings by default, saving and loading really shouldn't only bring you to the start of the level. Maybe you were using one of the patches to make it run better and you didn't apply it to the right version (retail patches VS steam patches VS GOG patches)

Im playing GoG, so maybe I missed a patch

By default arrow keys are move with the right side of the keyboard being most of the games other actions which seems to require a strange extending pinky when it wants you to do literally anthing but shoot and jump. I genuinely also cant believe theres no way to select specific weapons directly or go forward and backwards through your weapons but its what the controls say is the case.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

skasion posted:

Project Warlock

You sexy beast! Thank you.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Barudak posted:

By default arrow keys are move with the right side of the keyboard being most of the games other actions which seems to require a strange extending pinky when it wants you to do literally anthing but shoot and jump. I genuinely also cant believe theres no way to select specific weapons directly or go forward and backwards through your weapons but its what the controls say is the case.

Those are pretty normal controls for late 90s games. Half-Life was the first big game to debut with WASD for the controls that same year.

You select weapons the exact same way you do in the original Doom though. Number row over the letters. Cycling through the weapons is supposed to be either mouse wheel or {} by default Iirc.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Barudak posted:

Go to Controls, Player Controls, Weapon Key Bindings. Individual weapons are mapped to the number keys just like every single PC FPS in existence, and you can map Next/Previous Weapon to the mousewheel from there if they aren't already.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I get that it was standard, it just has so many button that need to be used that only your pinky can access its noticeably bad unlike slightly older fps with less going on.

RiffRaff1138 posted:

Go to Controls, Player Controls, Weapon Key Bindings. Individual weapons are mapped to the number keys just like every single PC FPS in existence, and you can map Next/Previous Weapon to the mousewheel from there if they aren't already.

Is that a submenu? The button config I was in only had "select next weapon"

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Barudak posted:

Is that a submenu? The button config I was in only had "select next weapon"
I don't even see "select next weapon" anywhere. Look, here's a visual aid for what I said:

"Weapon Key Bindings" is near the bottom of the key config screen there, highlighted in white in my screencap. Here's what the Weapon Key Bindings screen looks like:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thank you for the screenshots because on my menu screen that option literally doesn't exist. It only has three options, starting with "Go To Multiplayer Setup"

Did I not install a patch or something?

Edit: Firgured it out; that menu and buttons are only for Wages of Sin; vanilla Sin doesn't have them and by default Wages of Sin also only lets you scroll upwards through weapons with scroll down through weapons by default unassigned.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 30, 2018

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Barudak posted:

Thank you for the screenshots because on my menu screen that option literally doesn't exist. It only has three options, starting with "Go To Multiplayer Setup"

Did I not install a patch or something?

Edit: Firgured it out; that menu and buttons are only for Wages of Sin; vanilla Sin doesn't have them and by default Wages of Sin also only lets you scroll upwards through weapons with scroll down through weapons by default unassigned.
Yeah, I just figured it out too, and was typing out a response to that effect when I saw your edit. I hadn't realized til now that was the case. Sorry.

Anyway, you can play the base campaign just fine with Wages installed. It adds the ability to dual-wield Magnums and a few new one-liners for Blade, but aside from that it's exactly the same as vanilla.

Edit: Also, after a little testing, it seems the vanilla base game still uses the number keys, and recognizes the "Previous Weapon" function if you bind it in Wages, or by manually adding it to the config in Notepad or something. It just doesn't allow you to bind it in-game, because 90's.

RiffRaff1138 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 30, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Oh wow I hadn't even known Wages fucks with settings menus like that. That's wild.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

This is only proving the nucas right, isn't it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ok, so the issue is absolutely don't run this game through Vanilla SiN because boy howdy are their tons of scripting fixes by running the game through Wages of Sin.

I can also confirm an extremely dumb joke that at the start of the ATM you can hack an account by using account "123456" with password "1234"

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
I think my favorite thing about SiN right now is that every time I have an even minor complaint about it (default renderer ignores in-game options, which would be fine if the separate executable for changing them wasn't missing basic functionality like brightness and windowed mode; controls menu is kind of janky and missing functions for no reason) I do a little experimenting or read the thread again and that fixes it (bumping up the gamma lets me see things; running through Wages fixes the controls menu [and lets me dual-wield pistols, which I already liked for the UT99 Enforcer-like design]). All that's left that I don't like is that reloading is rolled in with the Use key instead of a separate function.

EDIT:

DoombatINC posted:

Yeah it's amazing that a group that could make something as colorful, creative and fun as Wages would then go on to make such a terrible, grey WW2 game with awful movement, disorganized level design and the worst cover system ever implemented in a first person shooter

this is funny to me because I picked up Allied Assault a week ago and I'm liking that, too.

or at least I was liking it before I got to the D-Day level and the game almost perfectly emulated the reasons I never got past the first level of Frontline without cheating when I was a kid.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 30, 2018

zindryr
Dec 13, 2004
Nothing
In about 15 minutes from now we're going to be playing some CS 1.6 (vehicle maps only) to close out the year of playing dead HL/Goldsrc mods. CS is obviously not dead, but no one really plays the func_vehicle maps anymore so I thought it'd be a good time to get people together to play some of them. Server is at server.kuoushi.com:27015, and you can get the maps from FastDL through the server itself if you don't have them already, or grab the Nipper pack (mediafire) as a large number of them are from there.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Great googly moogly are dark areas dark in SiN. I've maxed brightness but go into a vent and its stumbling blind.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

the nucas posted:

i legitimately don't remember any branching in wages of sin, just coma-inducingsuper compelling level design like this.

these are weird metrics by which to measure a bad, boring expansion pack charging a regular price which was inferior to the original game in every way. its unbelievable to me this studio went on to release medal of honor: allied assault.

Ok my memory may have filtered out everything about it except having levels do things like change the time of day depending on how you did previous levels.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Kadorhal posted:

this is funny to me because I picked up Allied Assault a week ago and I'm liking that, too.

or at least I was liking it before I got to the D-Day level and the game almost perfectly emulated the reasons I never got past the first level of Frontline without cheating when I was a kid.

I thought MoH:AA could be a game changer when the demo came out, but in the full game the polish came off quickly and I felt like all the things that made it unique were working against it. I hold a firm yet odd belief that porting CoJ: Gunslinger's weapon handling and gameplay mechanics to MoH:AA would improve it considerably.

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.
Would the 2007 Battlefront II count for this thread? I had avoided it for a long time on PC because I thought everything felt floaty, console-y, and it had such a big ugly UI and HUD that made it unpleasant to play for me. Mods for it kept popping up on my Youtube feed, and I had no idea it had such a prolific modding scene. There's all kinds of overhauls, a ton of new factions, levels, and other stuff from all over the Wookiepedia.

But goddamnit, they all still have the same awful HUD and UI, huge, stretched and with tiny weird text. And your 60 pound crosshair going nuts in the middle. Even on mods that claim to have them improved do almost nothing to stop it from looking like that awkward time that also brought us Deus Ex: Invisible War's hud.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

DoombatINC posted:

I thought MoH:AA could be a game changer when the demo came out, but in the full game the polish came off quickly and I felt like all the things that made it unique were working against it. I hold a firm yet odd belief that porting CoJ: Gunslinger's weapon handling and gameplay mechanics to MoH:AA would improve it considerably.

It was a game changer wasn't it? CoD was MoH:AA 2 minus the MoH IP which defined the fps genre to today. I never played the PS1 MoH games but they might have been the game changer which AA followed.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Flannelette posted:

It was a game changer wasn't it? CoD was MoH:AA 2 minus the MoH IP which defined the fps genre to today. I never played the PS1 MoH games but they might have been the game changer which AA followed.

I played a lot of MoH:AA multiplayer, and while I think it fits with what I like about older FPS's more, CoD just felt way better at the time. Or maybe just novel. MoH felt like WW2 quake by comparison, it pairs really well with Day of Defeat. CoD was maybe more realistic feeling, I guess? Slower? I've always kind of considered Red Orchestra to be the logical evolution of what CoD started. Just as well, I think it's more fun than what CoD turned into.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Please walk me through: what's the best way to play Quake 1 single player nowadays? And should I buy it on GOG?

Also, are Quake's 2 and 3 single player campaigns worth anything or should I just skip them? Never played them when I was young.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mystic Stylez posted:

Please walk me through: what's the best way to play Quake 1 single player nowadays? And should I buy it on GOG?
QuakeSpasm is the current source port of choice for Quake 1.

The GOG version includes the music... by way of a image of the original game CD due to rights issues, so you'll have to do some dicking around to get it out into the OGG format Quakespasm likes.

Mystic Stylez posted:

Also, are Quake's 2 and 3 single player campaigns worth anything or should I just skip them? Never played them when I was young.
Quake 2's campaign is worth a shot. Quake 3 doesn't really have a campaign, instead it basically has a set of deathmatches against AI bots.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mystic Stylez posted:

Get it on GOG for the soundtrack. Then use Quakespasm, or alternatively Darkplaces with the HD texture pack for a cool but very different experience. If you're using Quakespasm please please PLEASE don't use bilinear/trilinear texture filtering as it really takes away from the atmosphere.

Download the Arcane Dimensions mod and use with Quakespasm for some of the best custom levels around.

Also wait for Johnny Law to turn up and tell you more, or search for some of his older posts from this thread for some great recommendations :)

Quake 2 is fun but much more generic space marine stuff than the first game's bizarre tech/mediaeval/cthulu mashup. Quake 3 doesn't have a single player mode as such, just a series of botmatches; it was one of the first multiplayer only FPS games alongside Unreal Tournament and caught quite a bit of flak for the lack of SP content on release.

Convex fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 30, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Kins posted:

QuakeSpasm is the current source port of choice for Quake 1.

The GOG version includes the music... by way of a image of the original game CD due to rights issues, so you'll have to do some dicking around to get it out into the OGG format Quakespasm likes.

Speaking of which, since I decided to go back to Q1 today - when is the music supposed to actually play? I've followed the Quakespasm music instructions to the letter but all I get ingame is ambience.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

treat posted:

I played a lot of MoH:AA multiplayer, and while I think it fits with what I like about older FPS's more, CoD just felt way better at the time. Or maybe just novel. MoH felt like WW2 quake by comparison, it pairs really well with Day of Defeat. CoD was maybe more realistic feeling, I guess? Slower? I've always kind of considered Red Orchestra to be the logical evolution of what CoD started. Just as well, I think it's more fun than what CoD turned into.

COD had the better depiction of D-Day. I'm pretty sure that contributed massively to its success. At that time, it felt like every WW2 game was trying super hard to make a version of D-Day that rivaled Saving Private Ryan.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

CoD's success was most likely due to it being the first FPS to use friendly AI in a noticeably significant way. Most previous FPS games would have followers in the way Kingpin or Daikatana would. Then of course there was Halo or MoH and other games that would have battles with friendly AI, but Halo-type games' grunts lasted two seconds on normal or higher difficulty and MoH-style games either did the single useless follower or just had dudes standing in place firing at the sky. CoD was the first game and first series where it felt like you were fighting in a Hollywood movie battle, with AI companions acting semi-believably.

I don't dislike Quake 2, but I definitely feel like the longest stretch of me not being into FPS games started with games that copied it. I just remember for years after it, so many single-player FPS games were about lone-wolfing down corridors with ugly, bullet-sponge 3D models that didn't get hurt-stunned all carrying hit-scan weapons and CoD was a breath of fresh air with the way it did things. I've gone back and enjoyed some classics from that era, but for all the bad that CoD-imitating games later did, it pulled me out of a slump with the genre. I actually still buy CoD games cheap because for all the poo poo they deservedly get, they still produced fun campaigns most of the time and CoD WW2 is probably in my top 3 for the series.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Convex posted:

Also wait for Johnny Law to turn up and tell you more, or search for some of his older posts from this thread for some great recommendations :)

*appears in a puff of smoke*

You can try using this to get Quake all set up and then autoinstall+run a bunch of the older highly-regarded mods: http://neogeographica.com/site/pages/tools/quakestarter.html

It uses the Mark V Quake engine for downloading things, and you can also play using Mark V -- it has a few quite nice usability features. But you can also drop some other Quake engine in there and use it instead of Mark V for playing (leaving Mark V there too for the download scripts to use). Quakespasm is indeed the singleplayer gold standard.

The mod installer menus in that package don't cover some of the more recent releases, of which there are also several good ones. In general you can keep an eye on Quaddicted for singleplayer map releases (sort by date to get most recent). You can either learn how to install and run them yourself -- it's not rocket science, and the quakestarter package above contains instruction readmes about that -- and/or see if you can get Quake Injector set up.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Speaking of which, since I decided to go back to Q1 today - when is the music supposed to actually play? I've followed the Quakespasm music instructions to the letter but all I get ingame is ambience.

You're probably hearing the soundtrack, as it is really just ambient stuff except for one track. Try loading up dm4 and see if you hear the "Quake theme" playing, that's the one track that sounds like an actual song.

Or you could listen to the tracks outside of the game using VLC or whatever, to check to see that's what you're hearing.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Waaaait in my previous rant I was thinking of MoH:A (Airborne) and not MoH:AA (Allied Assault)

Cool franchise; lots of As

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Johnny Law posted:

You're probably hearing the soundtrack, as it is really just ambient stuff except for one track. Try loading up dm4 and see if you hear the "Quake theme" playing, that's the one track that sounds like an actual song.

Or you could listen to the tracks outside of the game using VLC or whatever, to check to see that's what you're hearing.

I loaded a couple up but couldn't identify what I was hearing in game from those tracks. The DM4 trick worked, though, thanks!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Medal of Honor: Airborne
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
Medal of Honor: Airborne Allied Assault
Medal of Honor: Advanced Airborne Allied Assault
Medal of Honor: Advanced Airborne Allied Armada Assault
Medal of Honor: Advanced Airborne Artillery Allied Armada Assault

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

DoombatINC posted:

MoH:A (Airborne)

Medal of Honor: AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I kind of like Airborne. I fire it up once in a while because I like what it tried to do and the upgrade system is pretty satisfying. Shame it never really figured out what it wanted to be.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

If Airborne had leaned harder on the 7 feet Gas Mask Nazi MG42 hip firing soldiers and dropped the MOH name it would've been a fine Wolfenstein spin-off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I thought Allied Assault was a lot of fun when I played it. Got stuck on the sniper map though. On the other hand I have no urge to ever play a WWII shooter again.