Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Night10194 posted:

Is that Philemon? I'm guessing that's Anime Philemon.

lol like Philemon wouldn't just leave Maaku to his fate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Night10194 posted:

Is that Philemon? I'm guessing that's Anime Philemon.

Philemon was already anime.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow gee, thanks guys, glad you managed to work out your own problems after using me as a brass knuckle sandbag. I sure loved that.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

She's adorable. :swoon:

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Wow gee, thanks guys, glad you managed to work out your own problems after using me as a brass knuckle sandbag. I sure loved that.
Hope you don't mind getting stabbed with a hairpin. Doubline still has a few issues to settle.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm not gonna lie, I wound up watching what is likely the next two or three updates earlier today just because I was curious what happened after you got deleted from existence.

That said, Igor sitting back and letting you fuse them together struck me as weird, too.

Also, Caroline and Justine are gone, nooooo. :(

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I figure the whole butterfly motif is probably a tribute to Philemon or whatever, but with how much P3/4/5 are separated from P1&2, is Philemon really even in the picture any more? Is it just wishful thinking?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I think the save points in Persona 4 are implied to have a connection to Philemon. It's the same blue butterfly, anyway.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
Philemon-as-Principal-Skinner: "I didn't interfere with the humans, it was the butterfly, I tell you! The butterfly!"

Probably thinks he's being clever while Nyarly's going "not this poo poo again" with a palm to the face.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 30, 2018

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

D1Sergo posted:

Philemon-as-Principal-Skinner: "I didn't interfere with the humans, it was the butterfly, I tell you! The butterfly!"

Probably thinks he's being clever while Nyarly's going "not this poo poo again" with a palm to the face.

Supernyarlathotep Chalmers: Philemonnnnnnn!

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
For all the disconnect from Persona 2 onwards, Q supposedly has slightly more direct reference to Philly. All practical purposes Persona team is not touching those two anymore.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Supernyarlathotep Chalmers
Holy poo poo :vince:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Igor: MASTER PHILEMON, THE WORLD IS ENDING!
Philemon: No, Igor, that's the northern lights.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Funky Valentine posted:

Igor: MASTER PHILEMON, THE WORLD IS ENDING!
Philemon: No, Igor, that's the northern lights.

At this time of year at this time of day in this part of the country located entirely within the Velvet Room?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Miz Kriss posted:

At this time of year at this time of day in this part of the country located entirely within the Velvet Room?

Yes!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Philemon: OH YE GODS! This world is ruined! ...but what if...I were to do the exact same plan again only with different people? Oh ho ho ho, delightfully devilish Phil!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

is this what they call the butterfly effect

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Ah, there's nothing more exciting than Persona fusion. You get all the fun of sitting still, browsing menus, comparing numbers, thinking about strategy... Fusion has it all.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Oh hey, we clearly upgraded our velvet room attendant(s). Now, is this a DNA Digivolution or a Mega evolution?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Fhqwhgads posted:

Supernyarlathotep Chalmers: Philemonnnnnnn!

Why is it when I hear the word "reality" and the word "exploded" I immediately think of the word "Philemon"!?

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.

Leraika posted:

Star Ocean 2 and Final Fantasy 8, off the top of my head.

e: though I guess the apocalypse that went off in SO2 wasn't the one the baddies were necessarily planning

Star Ocean 3 as well. In the end everything is okay, but he does achieve his apocalypse.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

MarquiseMindfang posted:

because the phantom thieves attempted to stab the personification of the collective desires of humanity in front of the subconscious minds of everyone, who responded by forcefully rejecting them, which when the world combined with Mementos, meant literally disbelieving them out of existence because this poo poo works on M:tA consensus reality rules now.

It's a slight conflation of the two meanings of "believing in" someone.

No, people stopped believing the phantom thieves existed before they attacked the grail.

It really does seem like a chicken and egg sort of thing where the grail made people stop believing in the phantom thieves and the grail is based on what people are believing.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Well, at least Justine and Caroline showed mastery of JoJo posing before they got fused.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 31, 2018

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Actually, Persona with the cast of Jojos bizarre adventures would be something I would play the heck out of.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Relevant.

I think those poses are Jo2uke (Margaret), DIO doing the wryyy? (Teddie), Jotaro (Chie), Jonathan (Yu), DIO (Yosuke), Josuke (Yukiko), Giorno (Naoto), and Joseph (Kanji).

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 30, 2018

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Mightypeon posted:

Actually, Persona with the cast of Jojos bizarre adventures would be something I would play the heck out of.

I think at that point I'd rather have a Jojo RPG because the two are only thinly removed as it is.

...actually, that's not too bad an idea. Give us the sequel to Seventh Stand User we've all been waiting for.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Materant posted:

...actually, that's not too bad an idea. Give us the sequel to Seventh Stand User we've all been waiting for.

There's one being made on Tumblr for Part 4.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Materant posted:

I think at that point I'd rather have a Jojo RPG because the two are only thinly removed as it is.

There's a group working on one on Tumblr but it doesn't seem to be updating very quickly.

e: goddammit

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose as the members of the Velvet Room grew more assertive there was less and less need for Philemon.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhwJgwXBxIc

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arist posted:

guess you'd better fire up that old capture card again

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Maybe they are finally getting rid of the block on screenshots!

Or its a switch remake.. whichever.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Arist posted:

Just when you thought it was safe to end the LP. :unsmigghh:

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

This LP will go on forever! :allears:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Please let the R stand for Revengeance.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Per one of the comments on the video, what he's saying:

JOKER: I hope you are well, this is Joker. As the year ends, the voices speaking out awaiting our next move grow louder. However we are closing the curtain for this year. March 2019. We look forward to seeing you again, ladies and gentlemen. Until then, you’ll just have to wait. Happy new year.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 186: 12/24: Velvet Deception

Music: Aria of the Soul

I was torn apart by a malevolent will, and took the form of those twins. I sought help before my body was split in two.

And I beg of you… Please save us…

Your lies shall work no longer now that my sight has been restored…!

It’s not!? Ah, poo poo! How much more of this is there!?

Music: Desire

Igor’s got a nasty case of levitation going on there.

You guys, I’m starting to think this might not be the real Igor!

Be careful.

Well, that’s… strange. Whatever the hell your plan is, it’s incredibly elaborate!

No… It may be more accurate to say that I am a god who responds to desire and holds dominion over man.

However… the result is as you know—the masses have made it so none of it has transpired. Humans should be met with ruin: you brought forth that answer. But to be frank, Inmate, I believe it may be worth reevaluating you. A human has reached the Holy Grail and has seen through my true identity… You’ve surprised the god that I am often enough. That cannot be done by a foolish commoner. You truly were a prisoner that did not bore me.

Music: The Spirit

Oh, for gently caress’s sake

Yadda yadda, let’s get on with it.

I shall grant you an opportunity to make a deal with me.

Should you wish it, I shall return the world to its prior state—one rampant with distorted masses.

You forcefully dragged him into the Metaverse and imposed an ordeal he did not deserve… Yet you still intend on toying with him!?
The Phantom Thieves will be praised and gain fame. The world will escape ruin as well. ...What say you?
If I agree to this, the ruined city will return to normal. However, the people will remain trapped, abandoning their ability to think for themselves… Is that really how the world should be?

Oh no, it’s a bad ending option!

Maaku gets sassy.

Well said.
Such irredeemable foolishness… You choose death for yourself? Very well. I have no need for you.

Music: Aria of the Soul

Hmm, are we sure this is the real Igor this time? Let’s rough him up just to make sure.

Welcome to the Velvet Room. My name is Igor. I am pleased to make your acquaintance.

Meet Real Igor.

Okay, this is actually really weird and silly, but I should probably mention it. In Persona 3 and Persona 4, Igor was voiced in Japanese by Isamu Tanonaka. Unfortunately, Tanonaka died in 2010, so his role was scaled back considerably for later games, with all of his following appearances using archive audio. That’s part of the reason the Igor we spend most of this game with was a fake. However, they did not actually recast Real Igor. If you play the Japanese vocal track, it’s again just archive audio, with any lines they don’t have just being muted.

Anyway, in the English versions of Persona 3 and 4, Igor was played by Dan Woren. Then, for some weird reason, they recast him as Vic Mignogna for the few lines he had in Persona 4 Arena Ultimax instead of using archive audio like the Japanese version. The “Warden” (Fake Igor) in 5 is voiced by David Lodge, but they didn’t get Woren back for this game either, instead using Kirk Thornton for some loving reason, because hey, he was already in the booth recording for the SIU Director, I guess!

He is the rightful master of this Velvet Room, the true aid on your journey.

It may be difficult for you to understand this all at once.
If I were to summarize this, the “fake” has left, and the “real” has returned.

That doesn’t really help, no.

Indeed…

Thus, you may be able to save this world that is headed toward certain ruin. However, it will prove difficult to win against him with your power alone…

You must release your teammates, with whom you’ve shared your conviction.

Oh hey, my friends are actually still alive. That’s cool.

This place exists between dream and reality, mind and matter…

Not necessarily? You make it sound like they’re either currently dying or some of them have already died. That doesn’t sound great.

Just as you were trapped here, they should be confined somewhere as well… Since you’ve deepened your bond with them, I am certain you can release them. Once they—the Phantom Thieves—are all gathered here… We will tell you everything.

Well, looks like it’s time to reassemble the party.

Arist fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 1, 2019

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

There was a whole lot I wasn't expecting in this game, and Igor being fake the whole time was one of them.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I love the Igor twist as it takes advantage of the fact of a VA change to slip in a traitor who you could never expect but at the same time was hinted at since the very beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

This is the most relevant Igor has ever actually been to the plot of a Persona game.